main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Wrong Reason (New JA Story) AUTHOR'S NOTES (1/31)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jedi_Joon, Nov 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juwannajedi

juwannajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    reply reply reply

I think I'm right.

2. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Some last minute punting and shifting of who writes what. So, the next post is mine.

After some time had passed, Neela found herself sitting on the hard ground, not too far from where she had been sick. But she hardly cared, too tired suddenly to move or even think. She felt someone pressing a cloth to her hands in an almost thoughtful gesture.

"So, you found out," stated a familiar voice. It was Ken Nerr. He stood above her, having handed her the cloth to wipe her perspiring face. His blue eyes were flat, refusing to show any emotions.

Raising her eyes to meet his, Neela mirrored his lack of expression. "You knew," she said in a blunt accusation.

"Of course, I knew," replied the taller man. "But only when it was too late." He regarded Neela for a few more seconds, sitting on the floor before gesturing with his hand. "I would have stopped her had I known."

Neela lowered her head again, too tired to look defiant at Nerr. Besides, she doubted he'd fall for it. "Why?" she whispered. "He..he would have tried to help her."

"I believe that was the problem," answered Ken, easily. He still stood over her, not helping her up or crouching down to her level other than to give her the cloth. "Your Master had been clever enough to realize that Ismala had gone willingly with me. Although, I suspect that Brenin might have helped him a little in his concluding," he added. "Your Master tried too hard to be a good person. And in the end, it seemed he had not realized the depths to which Ismala wished to be just where she was."

Neela swallowed hard at the bile that rose in her throat. The images she had gotten from Ismala's open mind refused to fade, as if seared into her brain. Ismala had had the elements of surprise and a near insane strength to help her that night. Not to mention a few of Nerr's own men who had followed her for reasons Neela could not fathom. But it had been the girl, the girl her Master would have least expected such an attack from who had delievered the first blow.

"I believe she felt he would take her away from me," said Ken, frankly. "It was a terrible business. I realized afterwards I should not have allowed her to roam so freely." He stood over her in silence, waiting for a response of somesort. After a long pause, Neela raised her eyes.

"Are you going to let her go back to her father?" she asked.

Ken's lips twisted into a curious lilt. "Why? Do you wish to avenge your Master instead?" When Neela didn't reply, he nodded, giving in. "Her purpose for me will be served once I get my general back. Her father can punish her in any way he sees fit. Exile, most likely."

Neela's grey eyes almost cleared as she stared at Ken. "Why would...?" Ken only looked back at her, his features urging her to conclude for herself. "He knows. He knows she went with you willingly."

Breaking his stance, Ken leaned over slightly until his face was now several inches away from Neela's. He spoke in a quiet tone to her, as if sharing a secret with her, "I believe your Master's understanding of the Senator's mindset regarding his daughter most likely fueled his desire to help her," he shared. "After all, a girl of her stature having fallen so low, there is only the option of a quiet exile."

Straightening himself again, Ken gave the younger girl an almost assuring smile. "So, you see, you may have your revenge yet. Girls like Ismala do not take well to exile. She knows it. Doubtless her father knows that she must have had a hand at your Master's demise. That means exile for life. And it will be her living nightmare for the rest of her days."

Neela's hands that had been resting on her knees as she sat heavily on the floor, clenched compulsively. "It's not enough," she hissed through her teeth, meaning it more than she would have liked.

She had seen what the girl had done to her Master. To a person who had been trying to help her. She deserved....Neela could not articulate it. But she deserved far worse than anything she could imagine at the moment. She did not raise her head agai

3. juwannajedi

Mar 23, 2000
    wow. I don't know what to say except that girl sure does have some backbone!!!

4. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Whoa! That was great! Neela certainly has guts! Poor Ismala, though. She's going to end up with nothing. I loved the part where Neela was thinking about her master and how she lived for that smile that told her he was proud of her. What's going to happen at the exchange?

5. Jedi_Joon

Jedi_Joon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2001
    Thanks for that great post HAL!
    Now back to me, I guess....

6. Jedi_Joon

Nov 1, 2001
    Okay, here's the post a little extended. Got inspired.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obi-Wan had taken a short lunch break after showing Kedra to a taxi home. The girl had been reluctant to leave, seeming to have great fun helping out the Jedi and chattering away. But in the end, Obi-Wan had kindly but firmly put her in the transport to take her back to her normal life.

As he ate his meal, the padawan pondered thoughtfully on some of the things Kedra had told him. It made slightly more sense to him that Senator Dinary would be more reserved in his manners towards his daughter if they were prone to fighting often. But still....Obi-Wan would think that basic parental love would overthrow any arguments the two might have.

He related these thoughts to his Master when Qui-Gon came back to their quarters, holding a message data pad and informed Obi-Wan that he would not be investigating any further tonight.

"I believe the Senator may know more about his daughter's disappearance than he is telling us," replied Qui-Gon.

"So, why are we not looking further into it?" Obi-Wan inquired.

The older Jedi ran a hand casually over his beard in a thoughtful gesture. "The Senator's behavior has not won my trust but I do not believe he means any harm to anyone with his secrecy. He may simply be biding his time until the exchange is over. That is to happen tomorrow and we may have our answers well enough."

"And what about Neela?" asked Obi-Wan.

With a small grimace, the Jedi Master held out the data pad in his hand to his student. Activating the piece, Obi-Wan read:

To Senator Dinary:
    This is our last communication before the exchange tomorrow. I trust things will go smoothly. Your daughter will be returned to you, unharmed and I trust the same courtesy has been extended to my General.

Please inform the Jedi staying with you that I have one of their own. She is my guest for tonight and will be handed over to them tomorrow as well also unharmed. I have no quarrel with the Jedi.

Ken Nerr

"Did Brenin Bell deliver this?" Obi-Wan asked with a frown. One that matched his Master's.

"No. There was a new messenger."

"At least we know now that Neela is okay for the most part," said the padawan, trying to search for some optimism. But he knew this was bad. If Neela got herself caught by Nerr on top of everything else, the Council would only be more livid and pressed to feel that she be expelled.

He handed the data pad back to Qui-Gon. "So...we wait?"

The older Jedi nodded. "Until tomorrow. I have a feeling that we will know the answer to our questions then."

++++++++++++++++++++

Despite feeling slightly drained at having done such a quick negotiation with someone like Ken Nerr, Neela hardly slept. Lying in the darkness of a smaller room where a pile of blankets was her bed, the dark-haired girl could only concentrate on not finding Ismala Dinary's thoughts in the web of the Force. The desolate, desperate thoughts of the girl scratched and raked at Neela's own scars.

She could no longer feel any anger at someone who was so truly abandoned like Ismala. She had been so foolish in her actions. So desperate to be with the man she loved and thought had loved her return. She had loved to the point of utter blindness and seeing her fate only told Neela to never feel any emotion so much that it would blind her to the truth of things. No, she could not feel any further anger towards Ismala.

And yet, she could not forgive her either. Not just yet.

Curling up on the rough blankets, Neela lay in one position, awake as the night passed before her and a new day began. Dawn had ascended when the door to her room clicked open. It was another unnamed man of Ken Nerr's who led her into the same room she had first been taken to with Brenin upon their capture. He, again, remained sitting at the single chair. He looked as if he had no trouble sleeping the night before.

Gesturing the guard to leave after depositing Neela, Ken leaned back in his seat and looked at her. "My men will take you and Ismala Dina

7. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    And bounced back to me!
    Wow, Joon! How do you write thing so fast??

Nice job, though!

8. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Ah, very nice. I liked the way Neela couldn't be angry at Ismala anymore, because she understood what had driven her to that desperate step, but that she couldn't forgive her just yet.

Will everything go smoothly at the exchange? I wonder ...

9. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Great job, I really like that guy. Post soon!

10. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    [face_shocked] Oh, poor Neela. Well, at least she's not thinking about revenge anymore.

Why do I have the feeling that the exchange isn't going to go as planned?

11. Jedi_Joon

Nov 1, 2001
    Thank you for the feedback Jane, Lonewolf and Daughter of the Force!!!

12. Jedi_Joon

Nov 1, 2001
    Okay, this is Healer Apprentice Lina's post that she punted over to me. Enjoy!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was one guard for each of them and Neela morbidly worked out that they each had one guard assigned to shoot them dead should something go wrong.

Ismala stood, almost in a trance-like state next to one guard who appeared to be holding her a lot tighter than necessary. In the better light, Neela saw the round face, nearly frozen in a numbed expression. But underneath it, Neela could see the light eyes slowly welling with an increasing fear and an utter sense of helplessness. Biting her lip, Neela forced herself to look away from the girl. She wanted to feel compassion. And yet, nothing would come.

She instead spotted Brenin, standing slightly hunched as one guard kept a heavy grip on him. Neela could easily see underneath the thick strands of dark hair and the vivid bruises and numerous cuts that mottled the thin face. And by the way he held himself in a slight tilt, she guessed his right side was bothering him.

Anxiously, Neela took a few steps forward and one more too many. A strong hand clamped over her arm in a vice-like grip stopping her before she could go any further.

"Brenin?" she inquired, not being silenced. "Are you alright?"

"Fine," he coughed. His dark blue eyes shined like polished jewels.

"Quiet," ordered Brenin's guard, giving him a rough shove.

Not losing his balance, Brenin only leaned further towards Neela's direction as the part of six began to move towards the transport that was to carry them. "Neela," he whispered, almost urgently. "What's going on?"

"You're going to be fine," she assured him. The girl caught a look the guard gave her but noticed him reluctantly remaining quiet as he only urged her to keep walking. Neela got a feeling that Ken Nerr had told his men not to physically harm her. And while Neela felt a slight indignance at being treated unevenly from the others, she took the opportunity to possibly extend the protection to Brenin. After all, she'd do all the talking. He'd just nod.

"I'm going to take you off of Goliathan," she explained. "I got Ken Nerr to release you into the Jedi's care."

"Am I not allowed to come back?" asked Brenin, earning a jab from his guard who had no problems hurting his prisoner.

Neela shook her head. "But you will be alive. The Temple will give you asylum."

"Then my case. My father's case, I need it," Brenin said, urgently. "Ken still has it."

Neela thought about her own lightsaber she had so lovingly made under Master Damaeo's instruction now most likely lying in Ken Nerr's storage drawers, forgotten. She would never be able to make one quite like it ever again. Master Damaeo's own hands had guided hers as she carefully carved the silver hilt and inserted her crystal into the perfectly formed handle. He had been there when she had activated it and had praised her choice of dark blue as her blade. He had given her his blessing on her weapon. It was truly one of a kind, now lost to her.

But Neela knew she was lucky to be leaving this place with her life and the life of another intact. She could not be sentimental now. "Leave it," she told the anxious young man. "Ken Nerr's let us go. That's enough. We can't ask for more."

"It's the only thing I have left of my family's!" Brenin protested, ignoring the threatening hand of his guard. "I need it back! Please, I can't leave without it!"

"Brenin, please leave it!" Neela nearly pleaded herself. "Let it go."

"But-"

"No! It's over. Just...leave it behind. Your life has been spared. Just think on that," she urged. Her guard pushed her into the small transport. As she felt herself being pressed into the seat, she saw Brenin whip his head around to look over his shoulder in despair. Silently, Neela prayed for him not to do anything stupid and to get in without a struggle. She could easily feel the waves of anguish at leaving his precious object behind. And even a greater sadness knowing that he would never be seeing it ever again.

But in the end,

13. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Whew, that was close! I almost thought Ismala really would make a break for it. Neela reacted just the right way! Excellent post, very satisfying.

14. Jedi_Joon

Nov 1, 2001
    Aaaaaaanndddd....

We've reached a turning point now everyone! Three cheers! A HUGE bulk of this story has now been completed! :D :D :D

WHEW! What a relief. And for a moment there I didn't think HAL and I'd be able to swing it. But luckily for us, we've only got the home stretch left!

Only...I need to write the next post.....with canon characters.....awww..crud...

15. juwannajedi

Mar 23, 2000
    wow. Excellent set of posts!!!

16. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    I was hanging on every word! Yeah, I though Ismala was going to make a break for it, too.

It's almost over? Awww! :(

17. Jedi_Joon

Nov 1, 2001
    Okay, here's mine. While this story maybe over in terms of actual possibly ACTION, we've still got all the emotional stuff to trudge through. :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The healer who looked over Neela stated that other than a few bruises she had sustained from Ken Nerr's men the first time they had captured her, the girl was fine. Having been placed in the same guest room as that of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, the dark-haired girl had taken a long shower to try and loosen her stiff muscles.

She had then fallen asleep soon afterwards. Despite lingering anxiety, the lack of sleep from the night before and the morning's tension finally working on her. But upon wakening, her mind and body were far from refreshed as she nervously waited for news on both Brenin and Ismala.

"Nerr's men worked him over," agreed Qui-Gon to the girl when he had had a chance to speak to her. "But from what the healers have told me, they are severe bruises, but bruises nonetheless."

"I told him that the Jedi would offer him asylum," Neela stated.

"He has told us of this. I have communicated with the Council who have agreed to allow him to come with us to Coruscant for sanctuary."

"What about Ismala?" Neela asked quietly.

The Jedi Master's eyes darkened slightly. Neela had taken a few minutes to explain what she had learned concerning Ismala Dinary and Master Damaeo. And in discovering that, he had pieced together on his own that the "secret" the Senator had kept from him.

"Senator Dinary has been making extensive plans to have his daughter sent to a small planet in the Neum Sector," said Qui-Gon. "He plans on announcing that after her kidnapping experience, she has chosen to take a religious sabbatical. A calling, of some sort. For an indefinite period of time."

"Does he know that she killed Master Damaeo?" asked Neela, softly.

"I believe he does."

There was a moment of silence before Neela spoke again, her eyes concentrating on her hands that lay in her lap. "I promised Ismala that I would help her in any way I could. I don't intend to go back on that promise."

A soft smile grew on Qui-Gon's weathered face. For a moment, he seemed to be remembering someone else as he looked at Neela Halcouri. "I do not believe you can help her anymore than you already have, Neela," he replied. "It was plain to me that she received assurance and support from the last person who was responsible to give it to her." Feeling a fondness for his late friend's student, the Jedi Master gently patted one of her hands. "You did well, padawan."

Neela raised her eyes to look at the older Jedi. "Am I still a student?" she asked. While her voice remained steady, her eyes betrayed a slight anxiety to which Qui-Gon was happy to see. It meant Neela might wish to return.

"Do you wish to return to the Temple?" he asked.

"I....I don't know," she replied, uneasily. "I don't know where else I would go...."

"Well, so far there is one man that I know of who is currently speaking in your defense to allow you to remain as a student," said the Jedi Master, encouragingly. "And from what I have seen, he is a very persuasive speaker." Neela gave him a puzzled look. "Your Master learned everything about speaking in front of the Council from Lewix Winchard."

Neela drew in a deep breath at the mention of Knight Winchard's name. He had tried to help her and she had rejected it. And while Neela had never been one to share or trust people with any natural ease, she knew in her heart that Knight Winchard had only meant the best for her. And her abandonment of his kind gestures filled her with a heavy guilt.

"I have informed him that you are safe with us," said Qui-Gon. "He was very relieved to hear it."

"Was he?" asked the girl.

"He ranted and nearly raved at me for not having found you sooner," answered the Jedi Master. "And was very close to calling me a rather insulting name. It's a good sign. Meant he was very pleased." A small smile cracked along Neela's pale face. Sobering slightly, Qui-Gon forced Neela to look at him by tilting her chin with

18. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Funny how it's Qui-Gon telling her that... :D

I liked how Lewix was on the brink of insulting Qui-Gon for not finding Neela earlier. :)

= Clare =

19. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
  20. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    More soon, please!

21. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    Thanks JediClare and Lonewolf89!

Next post is mine....

22. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    EDIT: Here it is.

The trip back to Coruscant was a somber one. Minding Neela's feelings, Obi-Wan kept his distance from her as he got the distinct impression she wished to be by herself. Her worries swarmed around her being like flies as they neared their destination.

He wished and felt he could possibly give her some advice on a meeting such as the one she would face with the Council upon her return. It had not been long ago that he himself had to justify to the intimidating group why they should allow him to return to the Temple. It had been difficult and certainly not a pleasant moment. But he had passed it and would have been grateful himself for a kind word of assurance from someone.

But Obi-Wan had noticed the slightly jumpy, detached look in Neela's eyes as she boarded the transport. So, instead of speaking to her, he merely gave her a small assuring smile. While it was obvious that the girl had attempted to return it, she had been unsuccessful in mustering up anything other than the faint shadow of a smile.

++++++++++++++++++

Gratefully, Brenin took another thick blanket from the large pile and wrapped it tightly around him. He had no idea space could be so cold. Experimentally, he twisted his upper body and noted with some satisfaction that all sharp pains were gone. But he could still feel a stiffness around his ribs. It'd be a good week before he could move about easily.

The other Jedi who had spoken to him had been nice enough. A bit reserved and more intimidating that Master Niveh, despite similar height. Master Jinn, he had said his name was. He had been kind. Despite his excellent efforts to hide it, Brenin had been able to tell the slight anxiety Master Jinn had felt when speaking to him about Neela. His questions prodded at the girl's particular behavior during her interactions with Brenin and if she had divulged any blatant motives in her actions.

While the younger man had not hidden the fact Neela had contacted him to find Master Niveh's killers, he had also spoken quite readily on Neela's move to trade him out from Ken Nerr. In his statement to Master Jinn, he had made sure to stress that Nerr wasn't a man who made deals easily.

Pulling tighter at the blankets around his frame, Brenin rose to his feet and moved about the transport. It was quite large. But then again, he had nothing to really compare it to. He had never been on a transport before. Taking his time, he moved his way about the shuttle until he found one room that had a single occupant.

Neela looked different. It was true a change of clothes and some cleaning up made a physical difference but there was a tension that was now gone from her body...only to be replaced by a different kind as she sat at a small table near a window. And when she turned her face to look at Brenin, he could easily see the gleam of revenge and anger gone from her grey eyes.

Eyeing his slightly shivering form underneath the blankets, Neela frowned. "Are you okay?"

Brenin smiled, despite the chill, at the girl's tone. She hardly looked like the same person who had once put a lightsaber up to his throat only two days ago. "Fine," he answered, walking over. "Just a bit cold."

"I hadn't noticed," Neela replied. Her eyes roved back to the stars that flashed by them outside. Brenin slid into a seat across from her and two watched the stars zipping by for a few seconds. "Will you miss Goliathan?" Neela asked, suddenly.

Giving it little thought, Brenin shook his head, his thick strands of hair sweeping across his eyes. "I had nothing there, really. Except maybe a guy who wanted to kill me," he added with morbid humor.

"But it was your home," said the girl, curiously, her eyes still at the window.

Brenin shrugged, burying himself a bit deeper in the folds of the blankets. "I didn't have anything on Goliathan. It wasn't really a home to me, very much. But I would have liked to have gotten my case before going," he said, sadly.

"I'm sorry."

Shaking his head, the older man gave Neela a small smile. "

23. Jedi_Joon

Nov 1, 2001
    Thanks HAL!

24. Lonewolf89

Sep 26, 2001
    Poor Neela!!

25. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Sep 1, 2001
    "I don't know. I've never been to Coruscant before," Brenin replied. "But I hear its quite nice."

"It is," she muttered back.

"Your home."

"Perhaps."

That's so sad. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.