main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Wrong Reason (New JA Story) AUTHOR'S NOTES (1/31)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jedi_Joon, Nov 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Joon

Jedi_Joon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2001
    As the transport hovered just over the Jedi Temple, Neela felt all her simmering anxiety lurch in her chest as they neared their destination. She felt the heavy, supportive hand of Master Jinn on her shoulder and while she appreciated the gesture, she remained feeling strangely isolated.

The tall structures of the Temple loomed over them as the shuttle descended. Neela realized that she had never really observed the Temple from the outside before. Its inside walls had always been so familiar and welcoming to her. She had ever thought to think how others might see it: slight cold and more than intimidating.

The transport landed with a barely noticeable jolt on the hard ground. As the door slowly opened and the ramp extended, Neela reached into the inner pocket of her robe and fingered the soft braid she had managed to hang on to. The edges of it were now tattered due to repeated abuse and strands threatened to fall from the main body. Neela clamped her hand around the piece, willing it to stay together.

Walking down the ramp, Neela felt Master Jinn guide her forward towards three awaiting figures. Two Neela saw were Master Windu and Billaba. Their faces remained expressionless as they regarded the approaching Jedi and Brenin. Standing next to the Council members was the tall figure of Knight Winchard.

Neela swallowed back a dryness in her throat as she approached the three Jedi but moved herself to walk to face Knight Winchard as the hand of Master Jinn left her shoulder. Pulling her hands out of her pockets, she hung them uselessly at her side as she approached. Upon reaching him, Neela's eyes remained glued to staring into his chest, not daring to look up. What did she fear? She did not know? Or did she? Was it so important to her now that he not hate her? Resent her for running away?

"Neela."

At the quiet tone, she forced herself to look up. Nervously, Neela bit the inside of her lower lip. The young knight's face was a virtual book, charting out the Sith Hells he had gone through in the past few days. Dark patches were evident underneath Knight Winchard's eyes as were the lines of worry etched into his brow. Seeing him, looking strangely vulnerable with an underlying anxiety in his pale face, Neela felt a heavy and crushing guilt.

Her slate eyes filled with tears. Tears that since a long time were not for her Master Damaeo. "I'm sorry," she whispered to the dark-haired Knight, not caring that others might be watching them.

While never having been one for close contact, Lewix reached out and brushed back a lock of hair from Neela's forehead and traced the gesture to her chhek where he gently wiped away a stray tear that had escaped Neela's eyes. He studied her face, remembering how he had feared he would never see it again. It looked different. Oddly calmer since the last time he had seen her, despite the remaining sorrow in her features.

"Are you alright, Neela?" he asked her, kindly, his hand having trailed down and resting against her arm.

Tears still trailing down her face, Neela nodded, wordlessly as she continued to look at the Knight. "Are you?" she asked in return.

Giving her a slight smile, Lewix nodded as well. "I believe so."

2. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Oh, this is too much! :_| :_|

3. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Ah, that was great, both of you. I loved the image of Brenin wrapped in blankets and wishing he still had his father's case, but glad to be away from the man who was trying to kill him. And it was great that Neela had finally lost her desire for revenge and anger, and could shed tears for somebody else besides her master. What's going to happen to her now? And Lewix? And Brenin? More soon, please!

4. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    WOW! You're posting FAST Joon!

Hooray! We've reached the Jedi Temple!

5. juwannajedi

juwannajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    woohoo....

:D

yay!!!

now, hopeless romantic that I am,

any chance of romance, a la Meri?

//hopeful begging look//

6. Jedi_Joon

Nov 1, 2001

I'll be doing the next post before HAL puts up her second to last post for this thread!

7. Jedi_Joon

Nov 1, 2001
    Another one of mine again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The apartment definitely looked lived in. It, in fact, looked completely different from the one Neela had seen and stayed in. Curtains had been drawn open and various dishes, cups and papers littered the coffee table in the main room as well as the desk pushed to a corner. Judging by the blankets that were scattered on a nearby couch, it seemed Knight Winchard had rarely utilized the rest of the apartment over the past several days.

Pushing aside the blankets, crumpled papers and a stray dish from a portion of the couch, Lewix motioned for Neela to sit down. After she had complied, he sat across from her. The earlier, brief moment of relief and happiness in the dark eyes were now replaced with a tightly controlled anxiety as he began to question her about the last few days.

In good detail, Neela went through her investigatory process, her meetings with Brenin Bell and her realization of who had killed her Master. She paused at that moment and looked at Knight Winchard carefully who only stared back at her with a tight expression.

"Master Jinn told me," replied Lewix to the questioning expression Neela was giving him. Roving his eyes to a point past Neela's shoulder, his dark eyes took on a disturbed, thoughtful look. "The girl is only eighteen. Barely older than you." He shook his head in a sad gesture. "I would not have believed her capable of killing someone myself. It is little wonder Damaeo did not see it either until it was too late."

"Does her age have anything to do with it?" asked Neela. "I am younger and I was set to kill my Master's assassins."

"Yes, but you did not, Neela," said the Knight. "You helped her instead from what Master Jinn tells me. And that is something that should be noted," he added, with a small smile.

Looking down to her hands on her lap, the girl bit her lower lip with anxiety. "Will the Council make me leave?" she asked.

"Do you wish to leave?" She shook her head. "Do you wish to stay?"

"I don't know what I want," Neela whispered back.

Leaning forward, Lewix took the girl's wrist, forcing her to look back up at him. "Neela, it is very important that you tell me what YOU want," he stressed. "Whatever it is you wish, I will argue it for you to the Council."

"Would they let me stay? If I wanted?"

"I could make a good case for it," replied Lewix, trying to sound assuring. "There would be a chance. A good chance."

"What about my new Master?" asked Neela, her eyes suddenly shining steadily upon Lewix.

At the question, the Knight released Neela's wrist and looked unsure. "I suppose the Council will assign one to you.....Master Yoda is usually very good at assigning matches in cases like this," he said.

Neela nodded. "I see."

There was a long, pregnant silence as Lewix ran a hand through his hair, causing it stick up in a rather undignified fashion, making him look younger than usual. Taking a rather large, audible breath, he pushed on ahead. "Neela, do you wish me to take you on as a padawan?" Biting her inside lip, Neela felt her face flush with an embarrassed shame at being so easily readable. "Because I know nothing about teaching anyone anything. I've barely been old enough to be a proper looking Knight, much less a Master."

"Master Damaeo was your age when he took me on," Neela informed.

"Yes, but Damaeo was a lot wiser than I am right now. And he knew what he wanted, furthermore." Seeing the expression cross Neela's face, Lewix let out a rough sigh and ran a hand over his hair again. "I didn't mean it like that. It's not a problem with you, its..."

"You don't want to take on a padawan," Neela finished, quietly.

"I wouldn't know how," Lewix admitted. "Being a Jedi...it's not something I feel I can teach."

"You've been doing a good job so far." The girl looked at him with an unwavering honesty. "Even if you were only my caretaker for only a few days, you did help me."

"Like letting you run away?" he asked, frustrated.

"I didn't do that because of you."

"But I didn't preven

8. Jedi_Joon

Nov 1, 2001
    Okay.....go up you stupid thread, you....

9. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
  10. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Come on, both of you, say yes to each other! There doesn't have to be romance, just acceptance and a willingness to try (at least at first). I liked the way Neela said that Lewix had already helped her, and he was blaming himself for not preventing her from running away. Good post!

11. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    pretty good story.

12. juwannajedi

Mar 23, 2000
    very nice. very nice.

almost the end of the story? not very nice. not very nice.

sequel in the works? whine. whine. please. please.

13. Jedi_Joon

Nov 1, 2001
    Okay, I guess this is a good time to mention that there is a planned sequel for "The Wrong Reason". I'll be trying that thread solo this time. Ah! Scared!

--Joon

14. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Yes, yes, yes, yes!!!

(Can you tell I'm excited? :D)

15. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Yes- a sequel! I want a sequel!

16. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    Ok, here's my second to last post for this thread!

For the first time in his life, Lewix felt nervous talking to the Council. He could easily feel his pulse pounding in his ears and felt the room around him reach a very uncomfortable, warm temperature.

I don't believe it. I'm having a panic attack, he realized, the voice in his head sounding rather calm considering what it was saying.

Words flashed by his eyes as he recalled his notes and the points he had selected as the most important to make regarding Neela's case. He had gotten most of his help from Brenin Bell, whom Lewix had interviewed briefly. Bell wasn't a man who trusted easily but as closed off as he was about revealing his own personal information, he had been more than eager to defend Neela.

"She made a deal with Ken Nerr. Do you know how hard that is? Most people are either laughed at or are killed before they go that far," he had stated, expressively.

By the time a young padawan came out from the Council's chambers to indicate Lewix could enter, the Knight threw most of his mental notes out the window and decided to wing it. He usually spoke with better ease when he just let his mind flow.....at least, he hoped it would.

Twelve pairs of eyes looked at him with the usual detached interest as he walked in the room. And again, for the first time, Lewix desperately wanted to see interest in their faces. Anything to tell him that he at least had some sort of shot at convincing them that Neela should stay.

But the Council is funny that way, he reasoned, mentally. For all I know, the decision is already made and I'm talking out of my lightsaber.

Experimentally, he tapped into the Force. Yup, shielded tighter than a drum, as always, concluded the Knight.

"Knight Winchard," greeted Mace Windu, formally. "Have you brought us your evaluation of Padawan Halcouri?"

"Yes, I have," began Lewix, faintly glad that they chose to call her "Padawan" Halcouri. "There is no denying her distraught state shortly after her Master's death and after her attempt to end her life. I would present her action to go to Goliathan as a result of the extreme stress she was under."

"Go on."

"I have spoken to her in length upon her return as well as with Brenin Bell who has reported to me with great detail her initially chaotic but ultimately intelligent actions."

"Spoken with Bell, we have," stated Yoda. "Grateful he is to Padawan Halcouri."

"Yes. But I don't believe that has colored his detailing of the truth in anyway," said Lewix. "Neela did disobey your orders. But she has returned with a better sense of mind and a greater peace than before. She has learned the difficult lesson of justice and letting go on her own."

"She endangered a mission," Plo Koon pointed out, bluntly. "And injured a fellow student."

"But she also managed to strike a deal with the leader of the Civil Armies and save the life of an innocent man. Both tasks were difficult and relied upon a certain degree of skill and maturity. Something well beyond what a fifteen year old is normally capable of," Lewix continued, his mind now wired with the nervous energy. "Damaeo Niveh once told you that she had great potential. That potential is not gone. If anything, this episode has shown her skills to be developing."

"This episode has also demonstrated her ability to be disobedient and behave irrationally," said Mace, neutrally.

"She made a mistake. Who can you name who hasn't?" demanded Lewix. "She's a only fifteen year old girl. A talented fifteen year old girl but one who will need to be properly trained. If you send her away you'll be losing a potential asset to the Temple as well as allowing yet another thing to be taken away from her."

"Has she stated to you her desire to remain at the Temple?" asked Depa Billaba.

"Yes, she has."

There was a short silence as Lewix could feel the Council brewing in their own thoughts. It was after some time that Yoda spoke, "A punishment, we must decide."

Lewix's darted

17. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    ::Sighs::

Stupid Council.

::Tries - literally - to knock some sense into them::

Yay! Sequel! :)

= Clare =

18. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    That was excellent! I'm very interested in finding out exactly why the Council will be sponsoring Brenin Bell. And I definitely see Yaddle's point of view as she points out that Lewix will not be able to bring back Damaeo by taking Neela as his padawan, and all that.

I'm so happy to hear that there will be a sequel. This is a well-written story (both of you!) that's got everything; adventure, emotion, humour, depth. I'll be looking forward to the next post and then to the next story!

19. juwannajedi

Mar 23, 2000
    Yay to the sequel, my fellow jj! You will do just fine!!!

Well, to be honest, I'm glad the council said no. That would have been a bit jarring for me...

so does that mean there's a hope for romance? Not quite ala Meri, but hey, I'm flexible.... :D

20. Jedi_Joon

Nov 1, 2001
    Thank you to everyone from both me and HAL!

We're both relieved and sad to see this story come to an end. We predict around five more posts before it's all over. *sniff*

But the sequel is already in the works w/ideas already cooking so it'll come soon!

21. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    He's not going to be the new Master?? More soon!

22. Jedi_Joon

Nov 1, 2001
    Here's one from me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even the practice rooms felt different.

Sitting on the well cushioned floor, Neela ran a hand along the cold plastic surface of the mats. She hadn't been in a practice room since Master Damaeo had died. Nor had she performed one exercise since then. She doubted throwing a lightsaber to Brenin Bell's throat counted as an exercise.

Brenin had looked strangely stunned and almost puzzled as he had exited the Council's chambers. Neela had made a mental note to ask him what was happening after her meeting. But her own interview with the Council had thrown her slightly. She was being allowed to stay. And their pronouncment of it had filled her with an unexpected relief.

But Lewix Winchard would not be her Master.

Neela felt slightly divided in her feelings about that matter. It had made her exceedingly happy that he had offered to take her on. But the Council had more or less unceremoniously rejected the proposal. Whoever her new Master was to be, Neela couldn't imagine her relationship with her new teacher to be anywhere as close as she had been to Master Damaeo.

The sound of the mats being crunched by heavy boots broke Neela from her thoughts. Looking up from where she sat, she spotted the familiar figure of Wes Ban'An standing across the room. His usually obsidian eyes were flat with a muted light as he approached her.

"So...you're back," he said, his voice devoid of any emotion.

Neela rose to her feet, a hard rock sitting in her stomach as guilt and realization of Wes being rightfully angry with her came into focus.

"Yesterday," she replied, carefully.

He gave a short nod. "Oh yeah? Thanks for dropping by."

Neela's eyes dropped, regretfully. "I'm sorry, Wes."

"I mean, it's one thing to leave me in front of the Council firing squad while you go off to Goliathan, Neela, but you don't even come by to say hi when you get back?" inquired the Eaanian, sounding both hurt and irritated.

"Did you get into a lot of trouble?" asked the girl, tentatively.

"You'll find that the Temple Mess Hall has a dutifully cleaner floor now."

"Oh."

"And the Temple Public Refreshers."

"I'm sorry, Wes."

"And the Padawan Lounge."

"I really am."

"And the Council Playroom."

"I-" Neela narrowed her eyes. "The Council doesn't have a playroom," she said, accusingly.

"Excuse me, I believe you were in the midst of apologizing profusely for being such a deadbeat friend," Wes stated, crossing his arms. "Disagreeing with me on this point would not be a good place to go."

"Okay, okay. The Council has a playroom."

"I had to clean their bloody pool table," complained the older boy, in a tone that suggested that that particular task would be more challenging than cleaning the Temple's public refreshers.

Neela forced herself not to smile...just in case. "Was it horrible?"

"Wretched."

"Did you have to clean up after they'd had a food party?" she inquired, lightly.

"Oh yeah. You'd think the Council of all people would be more clean. Master Windu's the worst. 'As the appetite of and eats like a Wookie recovering from an all grassroot diet or somethin'."

At the sound of his accent slipping out, Neela couldn't help the slight tilt that appeared on her lips. The slip meant Wes was nervous. Which meant he wasn't as angry with her as she feared. Seeing the conclusion in her face, the Eaanian looked at her sternly.

"Don't think for one bloody minute I'm lettin' you off that easy!" he retorted.

"Okay," Neela complied.

Wes managed to stare at her with a stern gaze for another few seconds in silence before throwing his hands up in self-disgust. "Oh, Sith 'ells. Bloody accent always gives me away," he muttered.

Neela smile widened a little more as she looked at her friend. But sobering, she lightly took his hand. "I am sorry, Wes. I shouldn't have left you here to just keep quiet for me. That was wrong. As your friend, I shouldn't have done that."

"No, you shouldn't have," agreed the Eaanian. A ghost of a smile flashed acros

23. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
  24. Healer Apprentice Lina

Jun 1, 2000
    Ah! My last post for this thread! It's been fun guys! I rather like co-authoring! It's way less stressful than doing a solo thread.....as I so readily understand. Hee, hee.

Here it is.

Master Lien? Being a fan of irony, Lewix had to appreciate it. He and Damaeo had often faced the wrath of Master Lien due to their uncanny ability to cause destruction together. But sitting down and carefully thinking it through, the knight concluded that Master Lien would make a good Master. She already had two padawans under her belt and while Lewix had almost always interacted with her by being on her bad side, he could see her as being a good teacher. She would be a good Master for Neela.

At least, he would make sure she would be.

The news had been delivered to Lewix by the Council via a short telecomm message. He was instructed to make sure Neela had her stuff together as Master Lien would be coming at the end of the day to pick her up from his apartment to move into the quarters they would now share.

So, that was that.

It wasn't as if Neela had stayed with him for very long and yet, he already missed her presence. He would now have to move the cot out of small study room. It wasn't a task he looked forward to.

But speaking of unwelcomed tasks....Lewix, in his attempt to figure out where Neela was in order to tell her the news realized she would be back in the old apartment she shared with Damaeo. Being the only "family" left of Damaeo's, it was Neela's duty to package and store away all his personal affects. It was a task the Council had offered to relieve Neela of but Lewix remembered her stating she would like to perform it.

Walking quickly through the Temple hallways, Lewix stopped short in front of the apartment door. Squinting slightly, the knight realized he did not know the access code. After a few seconds, he gamely tried Damaeo's birthdate. Nothing. Fingers hovering, Lewix thought for a moment before typing in the date of the ceremony wherein Damaeo had taken Neela has his padawan. The door obediently swished open. Smiling slightly, Lewix shook his head.

Sentimental, old friend.

The main room was fairly cleared out. Standardly issued items such as dishes and utensils in the kitchen as well as pots and pans had long been retrieved by those in charge. All that had been left was some of Neela's things as well as all of Damaeo's personal items.

Walking slowly through the small way that led to the bedrooms, Lewix passed a door on his right that had been left open. Inside was the standard bed and desk, both stripped bare of anything. There was only a small box on the floor that held miscellaneous datapads and a few extra tunics. Looking at the bareness of the room, Lewix had a strange feeling of deja vu. The scene looked terribly familiar.

Leaving the small room, the knight moved into the master bedroom. Sitting on the bed, now devoid of sheets was Neela. Surrounded by various articles and boxes around her, the girl looked oddly smaller than usual. Sensing his presence easily, she turned her grey eyes to him and gave him a shaky smile. The rims of her eyes were tinted slightly red.

"Hello," greeted Lewix.

"Knight Winchard," she returned. Self-consciously, she rubbed at her eyes before looking back up at him. "I guess I was wrong when I thought I'd finished crying," she murmured.

"Do you need any help?" he offered, his eyes surveying the numerous items scattered around. While he had been given only two boxes to clean out Master Tolm's things, Neela had been given five.

Putting a tunic she had just folded in a box, Neela nodded. "There are just...so many things."

Walking over to the bed and sitting next to a pile of holocubes, Lewix smiled, slightly. "Damaeo was always a bit of a packrat. I don't think I ever saw him throw anything away that wasn't degradable."

"Me neither."

For a few minutes, the two worked in silence that Lewix respecfully kept up as he had an inkling that if Neela wanted to talk, she would initiate it. Methodically,

25. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Having read the two great posts, I'm now [face_laugh] and :_|.

= Clare =

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.