The Wrong Reason (New JA Story) AUTHOR'S NOTES (1/31)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jedi_Joon, Nov 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abbi_Cee Jedi Master

star 4
    Two for the price of one. What a deal! ;) I could have sworn I had responded before this, but darn if I can find the post. (sigh) It's so sad, they say the memory is the first to go. ;) Anyway, this looks good, but I wonder what the council was thinking in sending a former healer to work with Neela? I like Wes, he sounds like a good friend to have.
  2. Healer Apprentice Lina Force Ghost

star 4
    Well...ha! Here's my first contribution to this!

Lina Elani did her best not to grin too much watching her friend look so excited. Half-sitting on Lina's station desk at the infirmary, Obi-Wan had spent the better part of an hour chattering away to her about his new mission. He must have been truly thrilled to possibly risk having An-Paj catch him hanging around the infirmary to tell her the news. Seeing the unadulterated glee in Obi-Wan's eyes, Lina couldn't resist but mess with his mind ever so slightly.

"Aren't you even the slightest bit more subdued by the fact that a Master died for you to have this mission?" asked Lina, smartly. She had meant it sort of as a joke but seeing the large dimming in Obi-Wan's eyes, she felt bad.

"I'm not GLAD Master Damaeo died, if that's what you mean," Obi-Wan shot back, indignantly hurt.

"I'm just kidding with you, Obi-Wan," assured Lina, as she set aside a few patient data pads at her station. "I'm very happy you get to go on another mission. Must be nice to get a change of scenery around from the Temple."

"It's your own fault for deciding to become a healer," Obi-Wan replied, teasingly, seeing the slight wistful way Lina spoke. "Healers don't get to go anywhere."

"Oh, I say I get around enough, Padawan Kenobi," spoke a voice behind them.

Lina turned a bit more calmly towards the source than Obi-Wan who practically leapt. It was Healer An-Paj, looking amused.

"I- I didn't mean- It's not like you don't-" stuttered Obi-Wan, in fear he might suddenly have a very good reason to stay in the infirmary for a good few hours.

"I think Master Daemo is waiting for you in the next room for his eyes exam," Lina cut in to distract An-Paj.

The blue alien nodded. "Close escape, Padawan Kenobi," he said in his best menacing voice before moving away. Obi-Wan only nodded, his eyes like polished coins. "Oh, by the way, Padawan Elani," added the healer. "Master Lewix will be dropping by later today to visit Padawan Halcouri. Please see to it that she not be given anything before then," he instructed. "She should be alert with her sessions with him."

"Yes, Master," nodded Lina.

After the blue healer had left, Obi-Wan turned back to his friend. "Why is Neela Halcouri here?" he asked.

The healer apprentice busily began to catagorize the scattered data pads. "That is none of your business, Obi-Wan Kenobi," she stated.

"Was it really serious? She looked alright to me," mused Obi-Wan.

"Well, you're not a healer are you?"

"How's she doing?" he asked, more seriously.

Lina paused in her sorting, looking a bit conflicted. "She's..doing as well as can be expected." Her dark eyes slid over to the closed door three doorways away from where they currently sat. An-Paj had specifically ordered that Neela be put in a room that was easily accessible after what she had attempted.

"Did Master An-Paj say a Master Lewix was going to visit her?" inquired Obi-Wan, suddenly.

"Boy, you're just the Sifa today, aren't you?" stated Lina, evoking the name of the most famous padawan gossip at the Temple.

"Master Qui-Gon said Lewix and Master Damaeo were really good friends. Maybe that's why he's going to see her. Maybe he'll take her as his padawan now."

"Maybe," answered Lina, trying to sound disinterested to disarm Obi-Wan's curiosity.

"That'd be nice," Obi-Wan thought outloud.

"How did sparring with that fifth year padawan go?" asked Lina, trying to switch topics. It worked. A new grin spread on Obi-Wan's face.

"Defeated him in 16 moves! Not bad for a 'junior brat'!"

"Is that what he called you?"

"Uh huh."

"And you kicked his butt?"

"Oh, yeah."

Lina smiled. "Braggart."

"Jealous," Obi-Wan returned.

++++++++++++++++++++

"Qui-Gon Jinn?! Why him?!"

"Who would you have preferred? Yourself?" inquired Mace Windu, in a polite volume of voice.

"Yes!" answered Lewix Winchard without a moment's hesitation.

The Council member looked patient as he began his list, "Jinn is several years your senior, he has several more m
  3. Amidelta Jedi Knight

star 2
    Mace is right. Neela does need Lewix. Maybe they can help each other heal. :)

Great post, HAL! More of the same!

~Amidelta~
  4. Lonewolf89 Force Ghost

star 5
    Lewix is in major denile, but I like that! Keep posting.

5. Sticks-Solo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Great posts. Can't believe I missed so much. Can't wait to read the next part. :)
  6. Jedi_Joon Jedi Master

star 3
    Thanks HAL! Here's mine. Ha, we're barely into this collaboration and already I have to explain time lapses: this takes place before Obi-Wan goes to see Lina in the infirmary to brag.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wes bowed low to the padawan he had just defeated, his hair hanging well over his eyes and obscuring the winded expression on the other boy's face.

"Good match," said Wes, straightening and shaking the hand of the other.

"Just..let me catch...my breath," exaggerated the other boy, called Quen. "You move faster than anyone else I've seen! Don't you ever get tired? You've haven't even broken a sweat!" he exclaimed as the two walked over to the side of the sparring room.

It was true that Wes had greater endurance than most other students. His heart rate was a little faster but he wasn't a panting mess Quen was. Wes only shrugged. "It's because I don't eat those nasty fake cheese crisp things you inhale," he said, throwing a towel over at Quen.

"No, it's because you're an alien," groused Quen.

Wes only grinned at the old joke. "You're just a weakling human."

They're small banter was interrupted as a loud, "Ouch!" sounded the sparring room.

"Point hit to Kenobi," announced a Master in a crisp manner.

"Is that Obi-Wan?" asked Quen, looking over at two figures battling it out. "He's fighting Demm! He's like, twice Kenobi's size."

Wes looked closer and sure enough, amidst that fight was the over six foot Padawan Demm, sparring with Obi-Wan Kenobi. Wes had heard of Obi-Wan. He was supposed to be one of the best fighters in his age group. It was impressive that he was actually sparring with Demm, who was five years his senior in terms of padawanship. Not that Demm was that hard to beat. Wes had taken him down plenty of times before but then again, he had been a little taller than Kenobi.

He had to admit, the kid lived up to his reputation. Size certainly wasn't a problem as Obi-Wan more than made it up with his speed and deadly accuracy. Compared to the grace and precision of Obi-Wan's moves, Demm looked like a clumsy wookie who was trying to win by his sheer size that was no match for the younger boy's skills. Wes watched in mild admiration as Demm was defeated in a series of cleverly devised 16 moves and delivered a death blow.

"Match point to Kenobi," announced the instructor.

Even from this distance, Wes could almost see the steam coming out of Demm's ears as the bigger boy forced himself to bow to the younger student who had bested him in a room of several other witnesses.

"Force, sixteen moves!" awed Quen.

"Not bad," replied Wes, impressed. He watched as Demm was taken aside to be tutored about what he had done wrong while Obi-Wan was dismissed to leave. He grabbed a towel but quickly took off with a satisfied grin on his face.

Yeah, I'd be pretty satisfied too if I'd just beaten someone big enough to be two of me, thought Wes.

"I could barely beat you when I was a second year," Quen awed.

"You've NEVER beaten me, Quen," Wes pointed out. That got a towel in his face.

Pulling off the damp material, Wes grimaced. "Oh, lovely. Scent of Quen. Just lovely." Before Quen could reply, Demm walked up to them with a dark expression.

"They should keep the little kids where they belong in their own age group," muttered the large boy.

"Why? So they can pick on someone their own size?" asked Wes.

"Shut up, Ban'An," warned Demm. "He's barely old enough to shave. What's he doing here?"

"Apparently kicking your tail," said Quen.

Wes quickly cut in to what looked like Demm about to explode. "He beat you fair and square, Demm. Kid's good. He's also got a master about your height so I don't think all that weight throwing you were doing did anything to intimidate him."

"Teachers here cottle those kids. Tell them how great they are. Makes their heads grow big," Demm grumbled inside his hulking frame.

"Stop your idiotic grunting, Demm and just fess up. You lost," said Wes. He had heard the excuses Demm threw around all the time before. They were just excu
  7. JediClare Jedi Master

star 4
    Hah! Demm got what he deserved. :D [face_devil]
    Is it just me or does breaking the enemy's nose seem to be popular? :D
    I'm beginning to like Wes. "He's only a kid. He'll soon learn to be more rowdy with age." [face_laugh]
  8. Jedi_Joon Jedi Master

star 3
    Oh, come on guys! We give you like THREE posts and we get back a flicker of responses? Is it the lack of Obi-Wan being tortured or something? :)
  9. Healer Apprentice Lina Force Ghost

star 4
    Jeez, it might be that we have to resort to Obi-torture or something.

But we'll hold off on that until we can make sure that there are signs of life. ;)
  10. Lonewolf89 Force Ghost

star 5
    Go Wes, Go Wes!!!! Keep it coming!!

11. KenobisGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    That was great!

*Ashley gets her cheer uniform on and her pom-poms*

Obi, Obi, he's our man, if they can't beat him, no one can!

Alrighty, I'm done... :D
  12. Healer Apprentice Lina Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, I think the next one's supposed to be from me.

Bet you're glad to see people warming up to Wes, eh Joon? ;)

When I think of where that character came from and how long it took....SIIIIIGGGGGHHHHH.......
  13. Healer Apprentice Lina Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, here we go.

It was nearly upon the lunch hour when Lewix Winchard entered the infirmary. He noticed a rather sorry looking padawan with a bandaged nose, listing complaints off to a dark-headed healer apprentice who blatantly ignored him.

"Excuse me?" asked Lewix, interrupting the bandaged padawan's tirade.

"Yes?" asked the healer apprentice before her eyes lit up in recognition. "Oh, Master Lewix, right?"

"Yes."

"Just go right in. Master An-Paj said you'd be coming around later."

Lewix gave a polite nod and walked over to the familar door. He knocked politely, asking in his usual low tone if he could come in. When a soft, "Yes," sounded. He slid the door open. Even to his more cynical eye, Lewix knew that Padawan Halcouri looked better than the last time he had seen her. There was slightly more color in her face and she now sat, albeit still rather silently. She peered up at him through the strands of her dark shoulder length hair that lay matted and skewed on her head.

"You are feeling better, Neela?" asked Lewix. Neela shrugged. But at least it wasn't a resounding no. "I've been looking over your files," he continued. "They're impressive." Damaeo really hadn't been exaggerating when he had told Lewix that Neela was good.

"Why are you reading my files if you're not taking me on as a padawan?" asked Neela, straightforwardly. The clean cut quality of her voice slightly startled Lewix who had kept the sound of the teary tone too close to memory.

"I wanted to look them over before asking you if you wanted to continue your studies here at the Temple," Lewix replied.

"The Council wants me to leave?"

"No! Not at all," assured the older Jedi. "The Council wants to make sure that you stay so they can help you." Lewix felt a slight bad taste in his mouth as he said the words. It felt like such exaggerated propaganda.

"Wes Ban'An came to see me today," said Neela, softly, switching topics. Her gray eyes looked up at him as if he should know the name. Lewix admitted that it did sound vaguely familar.

Oh, THAT Wes Ban'An....

He had been there the day Damaeo had defended the youth and more or less pleaded with the Council to allow him to stay to be take into the Creche. He had told Damaeo it was a lost cause but trust the red-headed wonder to pull off the feat of swaying all twelve minds of the Jedi Council.

"You knew my Master?" asked Neela, suddenly.

Lewix could easily see the light of distrust in Neela's eyes for withholding that information. "Yes, I did know him," he admitted.

"Why didn't you tell me?" demanded the padawan. Not sounding truly upset but more tired. Somehow, that made Lewix feel worse.

"I wasn't really sure what to say to you the first time I met you, Neela," explained the dark-haired Jedi. "I didn't want to upset you further."

Neela didn't reply but continued to twist the edges of her sleeves with her fingers. "What will happen?" she asked, quietly.

"Well, we'll talk for a bit. And then afterwards I'll speak with the Council about-"

"No, I mean with the mission," Neela corrected. She looked up at him, her gray eyes now very clear in the light and unobstructed by thick strands of limp hair. The silvery clarity of them seemed so mature to Lewix. The eyes hardened and cynical by recent events.

A fifteen year old girl shouldn't have eyes like that, thought Lewix, sadly. He had little idea that they more or less mirrored his own. And they were also eyes much too mature for even a cynical 22 year old.

"The Council has reassigned the mission," said Lewix, feeling like he needed to tell her something. The gray eyes now looked troubled, upset. The unspoken question hung in the air if Master Damaeo's killer was to be found. "Do not worry," he assured. "Qui-Gon Jinn is one of the finest knights this Temple has to offer. He will accomplish the mission in an expediant amount of time."

But despite his words, Lewix felt, again, some bitterness. How he wished he could be in Jinn's shoes. How he wished the Coun
  14. Lonewolf89 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm waiting for the next post!!

15. Amidelta Jedi Knight

star 2
    Waiting, waiting, waiting...

One thing I know about patience...I haven't got any! :D

Please post soon!

~Amidelta~
  16. Healer Apprentice Lina Force Ghost

star 4
    SIGH, it's still my turn.
    Okay, well......a few more replies and I'll write the next little bit.

17. KenobisGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    Good post!

More soon please! :D
  18. Jedi_Joon Jedi Master

star 3
    Here's mine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days...

The thought ran and ran in Neela's mind as she lay on her bed, staring up at the stark white ceiling of her infirmary room.

Two days...

She had remembered that the boy who had stopped by her room to talk to her had said he was a padawan to Master Jinn. Surely that wasn't a common name. His name had been Obi-Wan Kenobi. She supposed that he'd be going to Goliathan as well on this new mission.

Two days. In just two days.

The dark-haired padawan tugged at a strand of scragged hair as she thought over her conversation with Master Lewix. He was a nice person. Obviously trying his best to try and help her somehow. But she was glad in some ways that the Council wasn't expecting him to take her as his next padawan. She didn't want a new Master.

Never one again.

Neela's thoughts were interrupted by a slight knock on the door. She rose to a sitting position and softly told the person to enter. It was Wes.

"I hear the healers are springing you tomorrow," said the boy, sitting down.

Neela nodded and then peered closer at his face. "What happened to you?" she asked, seeing a slight bruise near his eye.

Wes reached up to gingerly touch the area. "Yeah....something fell on me."

"What?"

"An idiot." Neela's lips twitched in the barest resemblance of a smile. "So, are you taking me up on my offer and staying with us?" asked Wes, brightly. "It'll be great if you do. I'll get to sleep on our sofa if you come. It's a killer sofa." By the expression Wes had on his face, Neela would have to guess that he wasn't joking about truly loving the sofa.

"Actually," said Neela. "Master Lewix offered to let me stay at his place." That wasn't a lie. He really had extended that offer at the end of their conversation. It had been awkwardly put, nearly stumbling out of the dark Jedi's mouth.

Wes raised an eyebrow. "Really? And he's NOT going to be your new Master?"

"No. But his place is big and so he offered to let me stay there since I didn't really have anywhere else to go," said Neela.

"Awww....I'm hurt, kiddo!" exclaimed Wes. "Why'd you pick him over us?" he asked, pulling a mock hurt expression.

Because you know me better than he does. It won't be as easy, were the first thoughts in Neela's mind but the girl just shrugged. "I just ended up saying yes," she said, vaguely.

Wes nodded but looked honestly disappointed. "I guess I shouldn't have told you we're lousy cooks. That's what drove you away, wasn't it?"

Neela only smiled, her own thoughts remaining locked behind the false gesture. Master Lewix didn't know her nearly as well as Wes. He wouldn't figure it out as easily. It increased her chances.

Two days....
  19. JediClare Jedi Master

star 4
    Another post! :)
    I think I know what Neela's gonna do next. :D
  20. Jane Jinn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just getting caught up after the flu. HAL's a good writer, too, and you two seem to work together very well already. I like Wes and his jokey but caring attitude.
  21. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Another here playing catch up. :)

Wonder things going on here. You've been doing great with the story Jedi Joon and it only makes the addition of Lina to this thread that much better.

Love the character of Master Lewix and his hesitancy of thought that he could help Neela. And of course it's always nice to see Lina again!! :) :)
  22. Jedi_Joon Jedi Master

star 3
    Thanks guys!!
    Next post should be HAL's so stay tuned!

Oh, and for those of you who feel this is getting less and less Obi-related, he'll pop up soon, I promise!
  23. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, you are right.We OBI fans are always waitng for OBI to "POP UP".PEACE Ewen
  24. Lonewolf89 Force Ghost

star 5
    Two days, two days, till WHAT!!!

25. Jedi_Joon Jedi Master

star 3
    This is HAL's post. She just sent it over!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, here?s my new one.

?The access code is 4-3-7-9,? listed Lewix as he punched in the numbers. The door to his apartment swished open obediently and the dark-haired Master stepped to one side to allow Neela to enter.

Upon a quick perusing of the place, it was hard to imagine that anyone even lived in the space. The curtains were firmly drawn and there was a distinct presence of dust hanging in the air. All areas were impeccably clean but that had more to do with the fact that nothing had ever been there rather than someone having cleaned up. Noticing the look Neela had on her face, Lewix shifted, slightly embarrassed.

?I do live here,? he assured. ?I just spend most of my time away on missions. It?s been awhile since I?ve really taken time to....decorate.? He led Neela around the spacious area, blatantly avoiding the kitchen as it was even more bare than the living room. ?There are two rooms. One being a study and the other the bedroom,? explained Lewix. Peering into the latter mentioned bedroom, Neela noticed a bit more signs of life. The bed was made but the curtains were drawn back and a travel robe and data pads were left lying around a small table near the bed.

?I had a cot delivered to the study room,? continued Lewix, leading Neela towards the second door. ?There?s really nothing in there other than a data pad shelf and a desk. It?s fairly comfortable.? Looking in, Neela decided it was much more spacious than the room she had when she was Master Damaeo?s padawan. Overall, Neela admitted it was a perfectly nice place that with some more live in time could be very comfortable.

But it wasn?t the same. And that was the whole of the problem.

Despite it being larger than the cramped quarters she shared with Master Damaeo, Neela found Master Lewix?s place unfamiliar and heavy with the air that it wasn?t really HER home. She wasn?t even going to be Master Lewix?s padawan. It felt all wrong. But she smiled a small smile anyway in honest gratitude.

For his part, Lewix awkwardly patted Neela?s shoulder. ?Don?t worry. It?s only temporary really until the Council finds the proper Master for you,? he assured.

Neela nodded. It wouldn?t really matter after two days anyway.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Obi-Wan noticed the hunched figure in the corner of the dining room and tapped Lina?s arm, jostling the bit of salad that had been on route to her mouth. ?The healers released Padawan Halcouri?? he asked.

Lina glanced over to where her friend was looking off into and frowned. ?Yeah. Just yesterday.?

?Where?s she staying??

?I think with Master Lewix.?

?I thought he wasn?t going to be her new Master??

?What is with this sudden curiosity?? asked Lina, suddenly. Carefully, the healer apprentice regarded her friend and tried to discern if he had taken some sort of shine to Neela Halcouri. But Obi-Wan?s looked more troubled than enamored. ?Hello? Obi-Wan?? she called, bringing him back from his thoughts.

?It must be something horrible to lose your master,? murmured the other student. ?I mean, REALLY lose. Not just...? his voice trailed off.

Lina let her fork fall back onto her bowl, probing for food but kept her eyes on Obi-Wan who continued to regard Neela Halcouri take small bites of her food. ?She?ll be fine,? assured the girl. ?It?ll be difficult for her but from what I?ve heard, Neela?s strong. She?s a survivor.?

?Do you think she knows that I?m going on her Master?s last mission?? he asked, looking more alert and back at Lina.

The healer apprentice shrugged. ?I doubt it.?

?Hm.? Was Obi-Wan?s response. ?If...if something like that happened to me, I?d want to be on the mission. To find who did it.?

?Obi-Wan Kenobi, would you mind breaking out of your morbid thoughts?? Lina demanded. ?You?re talking like your Master?s the one who died.?

Immediately, he looked apologetic, nearly ashamed. ?I?m sorry,? he relented. ?It?s just...it just bothers me,? he explained.

?Hearing a student
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.