main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The X-Files: I Want To Believe (was: X-Files Sequel)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Sith_Lord_Linkoping, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    While I'm interested in the new film, I'm a bit worried about some comments Chris Carter made recently, where he said that if it does well, then they'd look into doing more films that deal with the mythology.

I really don't want to see The X-Files disappear up its own arse again.

2. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    No HD release of this trailer yet?

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Considering most people who I talk to rank I Want to Believe up there in their top 5 "must-see" movies for summer, I'm guessing the studio will be shocked by how well it will do. It was really cheap to make as well - so profits should be huge for it, even if it only makes $100 million that's making a healthy profit. I think it'll do more than that though.

4. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
  5. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    The week after "The Dark Knight" is probably a bad idea.

But then, any time this summer is probably bad.

Though, I've gotta say, this stretch here in June is gonna be pretty slim...unless you are a rabid Hulk fan...in which case, you're probably going to spend the next 3 months writing hate mail to Ed Norton.

I think Batman is gonna dominate the box office AT LEAST until Clone Wars drops.

If X-files can place a respectable second, that would be a victory for them.

I think a 100 million is pretty ambitious for this...especially considering it's competition.

However, this is one that will do ENORMOUSLY well in rental and dvd.

6. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    but it cost only 35 million to make, which when you think about it, is not that much compared to other summer movies. I mean Dark Knight cost what, about 200 million? It should make it's budget back in the frist 2 weeks.

plus there's a whole new generation of kids who were too young when either the show was on or the first movie came out, so they might get a new crowd if the film is great. I was lucky enough in, that the show premiered when when I was in 7th grade and I watched the pilot episode when it premiered. I stopped watching after season 7, kinda lost intrest in the whole mythology aspect, which is why I'm glad there going with a stand alone movie. Most of my favorite episodes were standalones, like Squeeze, or Pusher, or Jose Chung one, or the cockroach one.

7. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    "Though, I've gotta say, this stretch here in June is gonna be pretty slim...unless you are a rabid Hulk fan...in which case, you're probably going to spend the next 3 months writing hate mail to Ed Norton."

Your lack of faith disturbs me. [face_plain]

D_M_S_L

8. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I don't know much about the movie, but if it's set in Newfoundland and is called "I want to belive" I'm betting that it's about a search for the Holy Grail. There are old legends that 8th century Irish monks found the new world, and they tie back into the Arthurian Grail legends. I'm guessing that the movie ties into that.

9. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    ^^^ Let's hope not, that horse has been beaten to death...

D_M_S_L

10. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    The Newfoundland Grail legend?

11. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    The Holy Grail... There's only one, when last I checked.

D_M_S_L

12. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    But honestly, when was the last time it went to Newfoundland?

13. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    Um... I don't know, but Movies about Grail quests have been in abundance ever since the Da Vinci Code was written. It helped create interest and spawned several TV shows, Movies, and whatnot within the past few years. I just think it's already been done so why do it yet again, especially within the X-files? It doesn't quite fit. I'm hoping it involves something a little more frightening. Get back to it's roots with a nice dramatic thriller.

D_M_S_L

14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Really looking forward to this movie, hope it's good, Mulder and Scully should go out with a bang.

Anyone else remember the episode Home? Scary Stuff. Seriously.

15. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I remember "Home" (4th season) - It was horrific, one of the most disturbing episodes of a TV show I've ever seen.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the new "X-files" film. I was a huge fan of the show back when it first came out in 1993, and stayed with it for a couple of years. I stopped watching the show around 1995, but saw the movie in 1998 (which I enjoyed).

In the past several years, I've been catching up with what I've missed on DVD by watching the seasons in order, and just finished watching the 8th episode of the 8th season.

I have to say that though the show got slammed by fans after Season 7 (when D. Duchovny left), I find the R. Patrick 8th season episodes excellent so far. I like how Agent Doggett (Patrick) and Scully mistrust each other initially, but as time goes on they come to respect one another more. Plus, the 8th season episodes seem to be more horror than sci-fi (or at least a combination of horror and sci-fi), which I always felt was the show's strong point.
    So, based on what I've seen, I would have to say the 8th season is superior to the 5th and 6th seasons of the show (which were sub-par, on the whole); Though, I do think the show was at it's peak in Seasons 1-4.

16. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    AICN has a review of the film and its not good. (Some Spioilers in link)

Think I might miss this, by the sounds of the review.

17. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    You know what's funny about that review...

Any one of us could write it right now having not seen the film...everything he said was stuff that has been leaked or alluded to in trailers.

The only comment he made that seemed to not be so was his "poke" at the 3rd act...with nothing to back up his thinking that way.

Personally, I was looking at this film as a renter...the first film was good, but nothing so grand that I needed to pay to see in theaters (saw if for free cause I worked there).

This time around...a decade's worth of ticket price increases later...I'm certain I won't bother...I'll pay less once and everyone else watches for free...if it stinks, it stops and goes back to blockbuster and we pull out something else...no evening ruined.

That said, I don't put stock in that review...it sounds more like general jaded sensibilities to 90s nostalgia then a critical look at the film...he had this written before he even saw it...he just watched the film to decide if their was a reason to edit his pre-conceptions. It may not have been able to do that...things rarely can...but the film deserves to have a little more open-mindedness...and that's coming from an admitted pessimist.

18. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    Don't care about reviews for this kind of film, I'm seeing it anyways, been a fan since season 1, though I lost interest after season 7.

This film is probably going to get lost in TDK mania, but it doesn't have to make much for it to be considered a mild success and get another sequel. It only cost about 35 million, which is not much for a summer movie.

I believe the first episode I ever saw was during the first season, it was either EBE, or Tooms, can't remember exactly which one.

19. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    "I think Batman is gonna dominate the box office AT LEAST until Clone Wars drops."

I hope it continues to dominate even after that. Cuz damn, that Clones movie just looks bad.

The X-files is gonna kick a**.

-T_S_R

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I found the new film worth watching, yet ultimately disappointing considering all that came before it. It was a joy to catch up with Mulder and Scully, and I appreciate that in terms of characterization it did feel like time had passed since we last saw them. Plot-wise, though, I'm afraid this would have been a mediocre episode at best. The creepy psychic helper was done far better several times in the show, and I'm hard-pressed to recall many episodes that ended on such an anti-climatic note like the movie did in terms of the immediate action being wrapped up. They should've went the mythology route, imo. Or even a straight up monster hunt.

21. twodaynojoke

twodaynojoke Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2008
    that's true
    i was just a kid when the x-files was on tv.
    i never watched the show but it seems interesting so i'll probably watch the movie and see if i like it

22. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I saw the film last week and enjoyed it - though I don't think it was as good as the first 1998 movie, it was still well-done and doesn't deserve all of the extreme criticism it has received. It was suspenseful and kept my interest throughout.

SPOILERS BELOW:

I do admit to being dissapointed that there wasn't more to the movie - as others have said, a monster hunt or something along those lines would have been cool, and without this the ending was kind of anti-climactic. I would have liked to see the culmination of what the villains were trying to do in the isolated farmhouse, instead of just seeing the beginnings of this before it was stopped by Skinner.

All that being said, I give the movie a solid B. It was great to re-visit the Mulder and Scully characters after many years, and I will say that the film was better than some (most?) of the episodes in the 5th and 6th seasons of the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.