main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The X-Files] The (Continuing) Event Series!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Oct 12, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The obligatory funny episode this week actually managed to, in its more serious content, highlight something that I had been feeling since the show came back...

It feels less and less like the type of government conspiracies/coverups and other goings-on can take place in the world today (even before Trump, who would have definitely tweeted out about aliens if there were any, lol) compared to the world of the timeframe of the pre-revival seasons. The irony being what this episode also underscored in that, even if they could exist, people wouldn't want to believe the truth if it didn't match what they already believed.

That sort of disconnect has made the revival feel a tad out of time at times- not in a bad way mind you, and its obviously important that it stay consistent with the original seasons otherwise there wouldn't be any point. Still, it feels less and less like the world we know.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    TX-20 likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    haven't seen tonight's yet but I just found out last week the fraternal twins were played by the same actress (who was also the inbred mama from Home)
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0465269/
    Wow, I just thought "Hey, good casting, they really look like twins!"

3. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    So, that was clearly a Darin Morgan episode from the start - a familiar diner, with a familiar devil to boot. And nice to see Stuart Margolin, Angel from The Rockford Files, as Dr. They.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    TCF-1138 , jp-30 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  4. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    I really enjoyed the latest episode. It was very funny and it reminded me of Jose Chung's from Outer Space because it had the same tone because of Darin Morgan. I actually laughed out loud a lot since it was so campy. It's definitely on my top ten X-Files episodes list now.

TCF-1138 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Finally got around to watching the newest episode last night and yeah, this was one of those fun, weird episodes I really enjoy. It was really well timed for me too because I was just talking about the Mandela Effect with a buddy last weekend and had looked up more info on it.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Just watched Ep 4 "Sweat on Brow" and it was absolutely amazing. Genuine LOL 10+ times. Just perfect.

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Is it just me, or have the episodes of this season so far been really, really good?
    Season 10 left me a bit cold (with the exception of Darin Morgan's episode), as did I Want to Believe. But all the episodes of season 11 so far have been excellent. It really feels like the old show, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they'll end it all (assuming this is the end).

I just hope they bring back Doggett.

8. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    No, I have loved every episode this season too! Season 10 was only alright, but it didn't have a wow factor for me like this season does.

Jedi Daniel and TCF-1138 like this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This season has nailed capturing the feeling of the show.

10. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    The Ghouli episode caught me off guard. After the opening, I stopped watching and didn't return until a day later because I figured it was a filler episode. Boy was I surprised.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just saw ep 1 . Did Chris Carter really write this ? Mulder's narration was so klunky it sounded like one of those amateur movies .

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    OMG, this new silent* ep is brilliant. Just quietly.

* pretty much.

TX-20 likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It really was a fantastic episode. Very simple premise but well executed. Just the restaurant interactions between the two made it bizarrely on point.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    TX-20 and jp-30 like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It was pretty great, 2nd to Darin Morgan ep. I do quibble a bit that we never figured why Scully and Mulder were in robo-town (and they have a replica of Mulder's house there too?) but it was so well executed with a great punchline I'll let it slide.

I did think for almost the entire episode until the end (and maybe still possible) that Scully and Mulder were trapped in that virtual world but it never came to be.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "Why is your house so much nicer than mine?" addressed the only real question I had throughout the episode, ha.

darthcaedus1138 and TX-20 like this.
  16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Robotown is any town. In this case, DC or thereabouts I guess.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That "There's got to be a Morning After" singing scene in the most recent ep may be one of my favourite scenes in the season (tied with when the alien explained building a wall around earth). I do quibble that Scully survived falling how many stories down an empty shaft with no injuries, even if it is decades of garbage she landed on something had to be pointy. But decent, messy ep. You know what it sorta reminded me of? A much better version of "I Want to Believe", the 2nd movie, whole lotta unnatural organ transplants to extend life. but, y'know, actually good.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it was a nice "creepy people doing creepy things in their home" type episode. But I was impressed they worked in the other stuff with the faith discussions in the church, the avenging sister and Mulder needing glasses. I mean, the latter tied into the theme of aging for the episode but it made the episode feel dense than I otherwise would have thought (though the sister subplot was perhaps a little undercooked).

jp-30 likes this.
  19. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    I guess tonight's episode was the ignominious end of the X-Files unless Gillian decides to put on the wig again. Other than the garbage mytharc episodes, I really enjoyed this season.

I want to believe the Skinman is alive under that car.

jp-30 and TX-20 like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    the

baby reveal was nice it was also kinda like Scully suddenly realized "yeah, he wasn't our son but we got a real one now so s'all good". so all the guilt Scully and Mulder have felt for almost 2 decades got wiped away. honestly I Was halfway convinced they were going to do a twist like "Mulder is William at the end, he really shot Mulder!" but that didn't happen, thankfully. but they amped up the William is a bad seed freak factor a lot in this one to make the audience okay. he was always a weird plot point anyway.

Willam had God Mode Powers that were like the pinacle of all freaky X-Files powers that I couldn't keep it straight. I THINK it's just psyhic projection (way back to Baby william moving the moblie) but he survives a gunshot to the head. yah but he's also switching on traffic lights and turning eggs into hatched chickens. and he can see into the future. It's a lot. they made you feel sorry for him but not too sorry. like he freaked out the truck driver for no good reason, etc. bit of a trick there, most times whiny teenagers on the X-files are just annoying but he had some pathos. some, not a lot cuz I didn't care that much when he got shot in the head and apparently scully didn't either.

I was 90% convinced beforehand that CSM was talking/shooting William, the editing before implied it a lot, but there was a nagging bit of uncertainty until the final frame.

Reyes getting popped in the head by Skinner was awesome. "Oh, you were the lead on the show for a whole season? BAM! Nuts to you!"

CSM is as dead as he can be, which is to say, maybe, probably. dude straight up took a rocket to the face and they never really explained how he survived that. But I do like how he seemed to be a craven monster by the end, he's burned all his bridges an connections so that works as an ending for him.

I actually think it is one of the better endings to the X-Files we've gotten, cuz the other 3 haven't been all that great. there was the original series finale with them on the run, I want to believe where they row off together into the sunset, crazy alien invading cliffhanger and, hey, we have a real baby this time. Like Homer and Marge said "Marge, I'm confused. Is this a happy ending or a sad ending?" "It's an ending, that's enough."

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    jp-30 likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It does work as a satisfying enough ending even if it's not all tied up in a bow or anything.

Though I'm a bit irritated by the yet-another shutting down of the X-Files. How many times has that happened now? Like 3? 4? Maybe if you spread it across all 11 seasons it's not so bad (still loses dramamtic impact every time you do it) but all of them have been since the 5th season, IIRC.

BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  22. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    My Struggle III - 5/10
    This - 7/10
    Plus One - 10/10
    The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat - 9/10
    Ghouli - 8/10
    Kitten - 8/10
    Rm9sbG93ZXJz - 10/10
    Familiar - 10/10
    Nothing Lasts Forever - 10/10
    My Struggle IV - 3/10

Episodes 2-9 were all quite good. I look forward to rewatching them alongside the previous seasons every few years.

Jedi Knight Fett and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    They shut it down the first time between seasons 1 and 2.

The2ndQuest , TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah off the top of my head, at the end of S1, at the end of S4 I believe cuz they were shut down for the Fight the Future movie, the series finale / I Want to Believe (there was apparently a shut down after the 2nd film cuz they reopened it in S10) and here. There may be one more in there I'm missing. It was super throwaway in this one anyway.

Did Mulder and Scully actually arrest anyone this season for their crimes? Or are they all dead? Hell, do Mulder and Scully actually have an arrest record that isn't, like, Tombs, I think. No wonder they keep getting shut down!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Juliet316 and TX-20 like this.
  25. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Lol this finale was awful. Like, one of the worst single episodes of this show, and probably TV itself I’ve ever seen. Nothing having to do with the plot of these last two seasons was really actually tied up. Just tangentially welded to the already available plots of CSM and William. This was honestly embarrassing to watch. Gillian Anderson just tweeted out that she agrees with peoples negatives comments and she’s right to. Scully was completely sidelined. Mulder in these Carter mytharc episodes has become some kind of bizarre Jason Bourne figure. It’s laughable. I had a great time watching it just because of how bad it was. But I was also deeply saddened that all this buildup and goodwill I had for the overarching story of this season came down to this. The other 9 episodes this season were anywhere from decent to great. This was awful. Truly awful.

TX-20 likes this.