main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The X-Wing novels. How good are the last ones?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterKeno, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    He didn't really „meet“ the crowd, they were just there, people who would not actually be interested in meeting far off pilots wouldn't even be there, like it usually is the case with any political event. Whilst real political reformers or god forbid demonstrates would be kept away or actually killed, as Adumar just doesn’t seem to be place for open political debate.

And in feudal kingdoms the King had the support of the people because he usually demonstrated that he was better at killing anyone else who wanted to be King and of course running the country. Just different political rites, not really anymore bizarre then we have seen here on Earth.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I like Adumar, but not nearly as much as others, as there's not much to it other than fan service, like Janson's cape, the gunsword duel and the setting that Robimus mentioned.

It's funny, but nothing more.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wedge's "why I fight" explanation was interesting. And his put-down to the notion that honor consists of killing whenever offended.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  4. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I've only read Mercy Kill so far, and I thought it was a terrific book.

5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    So, I've finally gotten around to checking out the X-Wing books, doing it as audiobooks, as it's the only way I know I'll get around to experiencing them anytime in the next decade. And I've realized, if you view the Thrawn Trilogy as Legends' original Sequel Trilogy (which, it definitely was), than this series is totally "Journey to Heir to the Empire". TTT started you a few years down the line with some radically different circumstances starting off from where we last left them in ROTJ. Now how do we get from ROTJ to HTTE?

Listening to these books now, as well as reading through the Epic Collection: New Republic, vol 1 comic collection makes me particularly excited for the 'Journey to The Force Awakens' MMP.

It's really fun - within months of each other, I get to experience two different takes on Post-ROTJ politicking and warfare. It's kind of like when I just recently did a parallel Clone Wars MMP/The Clone Wars reading/viewing experience. Comparing and contrasting was an added bonus of experiencing two takes on the same wartime concept/time period.

This is fun.

Lando Swarm, Duguay and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    In the last 6 months or so I've been able to get to The Bacta War and I, Jedi (just finished I, Jedi a couple days ago). I chose I, Jedi as a return to some of the narrative aspects covered by the Jedi Academy trilogy, to have a last look at the original EU's depiction of how Luke take's up Yoda's charge to "Pass on what you have learned." That a pretty neat comparison, the X-Wing stories as Journey to Heir to the Empire. And I share your thinking, it's great fun to be able to experience key points from the original EU and be able to compare them to a new version of post-RotJ SW and a new version of the EU within a couple of months of each other. The Stackpole quadruplagy and Allston's follow up trilogy dealing with the Warlord Zsinj (and maybe The Courtship of Princess Leia to wrap up Zsinj, as well as taking Han and Leia to the next level where we find them in HttE?).

Iron_lord and Taalcon like this.
  7. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Just finished my 2015 reread of Wraith Squadron arc + Starfighters.

I can confirm they are still bloody excellent.