main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The XBOX 360 : Pricing Revealed

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MovieTrailerMusic, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    As the Big Three (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) planned their business tactics for the next-generation console wars, none have been willing to divulge their strategies, lest competitors get the scoop. All that was left was for industry media, fans, and analysts to speculate on what would be of the new consoles.

In its quest to get the console out in time for the holiday season, Microsoft hasn't exactly kept the shutters drawn on its secrets regarding its next-gen contribution: the Xbox 360. Pictures of the console surfaced before its debut on MTV, its name was exposed before the company could spin it itself, and the prospect of standard wireless controllers came with no strings attached.

Today, Microsoft laid down new facts about its upcoming console at the Games Convention in Leipzig, and they sounded awfully familiar to analyst predictions and forum posters' speculations.

Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 will be released in two SKUs, the "Xbox 360 Core System" and the "Xbox 360." The two products will be sold at $299 and $399, respectively. The two systems break down as follows:

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
    ?Xbox 360 console
    ?Wired controller
    ?Detachable faceplate
    ?Xbox Live Silver membership
    ?Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
    ?Xbox 360 console
    ?20GB detachable hard drive
    ?Wireless controller
    ?Wireless Xbox Live headset
    ?High-definition AV cables
    ?Ethernet cable
    ?Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
    ?Detachable faceplate
    ?Xbox Live Silver membership

Peter Moore, Xbox corporate vice president of worldwide marketing and publishing, who spoke with GameSpot, reiterated that the Xbox 360 is still on schedule to launch simultaneously in North America, Europe, and Japan this holiday season. Details on the specifics of the Japanese release will be disclosed at this year's Tokyo Game Show, which begins September 16.

Microsoft has confirmed that the "Core System" will not be backwards compatible out-of-the-box. In order to play current-generation Xbox games, owners of the bare-bones system will have to purchase the detachable hard drive. It is unclear whether or not backwards compatibility will work with the smaller-capacity 64MB memory cards.

Moore explained that the idea behind the two choices came from "lessons learned from the first generation [of Xbox], but perhaps more importantly to provide the gamer with choices in pricing as applicable to their gaming habits." In addition, gamers will be able to select from a range of peripherals available at launch:

? Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
    ? Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
    ? Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
    ? Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
    ? Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
    ? Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
    ? Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
    ? Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
    ? Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
    ? Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
    ? Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
    ? S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
    ? SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
    ? VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

It's too early to get a reaction from gamers on Microsoft's pricing plan, but a few analysts privy to the information were able to chime in with their thoughts.

One anonymous analyst who spoke with GameSpot said, "I think tiered pricing makes sense, particularly as Microsoft wants to offer hardcore gamers more-advanced services. $299 is clearly a price leader and headline grabber, but I imagine they initially expect to ship (and sell) a majority of units at the higher price point. Also, with a $299 SKU, they avoid disappointing consumers, who are likely to compare launch pricing with the PS2 in 2000 and original Xbox in 2001."

The analyst adds, "As far as the publishers are concerned, Microsoft needs to make sure that publishers are making games

2. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    For those in the 360, PS3 and Revolution thread that said I was wrong about there being two Xbox 360's and that I was wrong about the basic 360 being $299 and the other being priced around $399 I say , Hah! :D

3. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    $299? Not bad.

4. clone_commander1

clone_commander1 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 30, 2004
    $299 is not bad, ?299 is!

I'll buy the Revolution when it comes out, which will be more fairly priced.

5. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    The Revolution console i have no problem with. My problem is with Nintendo. I'm a hardcore Ninty fan, never had anything but, but the chances of me buying the revolution are very slim right now, especially with the £200 360. Nintendo had better get some third party developers back, and they'd better have some pretty good cards up their sleeve if they want to be around for the generation after the next one.

6. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    About the backwards capability of the $299 model. That article says that the "Core Model" won't be compatable with older games unless we get the detachable hard drive.

What does this mean? We buy the console...and then buy another console for $100 to play older games?

That's absurd. Of course people would just get the $399 model then.

7. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    Are they both BC?

8. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Where am I gonna get 400 dollars? :_|

Like Comics? Like Games? Like the Jedi Draft? If you answer yes to any of these questions there may be an opportunity for you in the near future! PM me today for details!

9. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Ouch! That's going to be upwards of $500 up here :_|

Probably closer to $600CDN at release.

10. StarkRhavyn

StarkRhavyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Too rich for my blood.
    See you in about 3 years when they get down to around $150.

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    You obviously did not read the first post.

Only the $399 Xbox 360 is BC. The "Core System" is BC only when you purchase the detachable hard drive for another $100. So it just makes more sense to buy the top of the line Xbox since you'll get all the extra stuff plus BC.

Like the article said, the "Core System" is a hoax. Why would anyone get it? Well, I guess people who don't care about BC or LIVE will get it. I don't care about LIVE, but BC sounds really nice to have.

12. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    Haven't played any PSX or N64 games this gen. Already beat the ones I wanted last gen. And the same can be said about the next gen. I doubt I'll play any Xbox games when the PS3 and 360 are out. So I really couldn't care less about BC. However the PS3 being BC has prevented me from buying a PS2. So I guess BC has had a reverse effect on me. I just want Katamari Damacy and a couple Atlus games like Disgaea. But overall backwards compatibility is the furthest thing in mind when it comes to new hardware. This is also one the reasons why the Revolution holds no interest for me. The biggest thing revealed about the system Downloadable N64, SuperNES and NES games is of no importance to me. Especially with those things floating around the Internet already called ROM's.

13. Jen_Skywalker16

Jen_Skywalker16 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2004
    Damn you Microsoft! come this Chirstmas instead of being 400 dollers in the hole I'm gonna be 500 dollers :mad:

Oh well Halo 3 and (someday) KOTOR 3 will make every penny count[face_dancing]

14. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Don't we need a KOTOR 2 beyond the beta demo that escaped a little while? You know the one with all the bugs and no ending?

15. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004

We already have that with the original game :p

16. Tie_Defender

Tie_Defender Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2005
    ** spits coffee on computer **

Questions for microsoft

Who the hell came up with the 400 dollar price tag?:mad:
    Who has 500 bucks lying around?
    Why the core and advanced systems?

I guess I'm just going to wait a year or two for this one:(

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Moore seems pleased with the current success of the original Xbox and doesn't see any price drop with the console.<<

Well, I guess that means I won't be buying an X-Box for awhile.

18. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Well, I guess I won't be going on any vacations for awhile.

19. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Sounds pretty good with how the last few gen of consoles have gone. Unfounatly I can't afford the starting price so I'll have to waite for the pricing war.

20. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Yeah. I think it's silly to buy them right off the grill.

I'm going to be waiting for a year or two myself. Until then, there's always PC gaming.

21. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    I'll probably get it for christmas. (I hope)

22. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    I don't think you guys should make a lot of fuss regarding the price. I mean it's silly buying a console system the moment it comes out. There are only like a few games available and who knows whether the console is free of defects. Wait for at least a year or so until things settle down, then buy one..

23. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    Well said . Maybe 2 years though. BIG maybe .

24. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2001
    I don't even see what the big deal is, $500 is a drop in the bucket. If you can't put aside that kind of money for a few months ahead of time then you need a new job/ or alter your spending habits. To me that just means cutting down on shows, the pub and cabs for a few weeks. No big deal.

25. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    I started saving up in July (right after I pre ordered) & now by the time November hits I'll have just enough to get the $399 version & since it seems Madden 06 wont be a launch game I'll have just enough to get the 399 & Perfect Dark Zero :cool: He is right it is NOT that hard to cut down on spending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.