main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The XBOX 360 : Pricing Revealed

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by MovieTrailerMusic, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    Any official word on game prices?

2. _Equilibrium_

_Equilibrium_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2004
    On sites like Best Buy launch titles seem to be $59.99 but I really wouldnt worry about games right now unless you pre order them :p

Gonna be impossible to get games right away

3. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    OK, I'm gonna put my downpayment of 60 bucks this sunday. I'll just add 20 bucks every week until launch. Does that equal out? I think it does...

EDIT: Crap. I just did the math and it leaves me about 40 dollars short.

Like Comics? Like Games? Like the Jedi Draft? If you answer yes to any of these questions there may be an opportunity for you in the near future! PM me today for details!

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Of course it isn't...when you're four years old.

5. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    if you feel upset with the price of Xbox 360 for whatever reasons.

Tomorrow there is a Chat with Xbox Executive J. Allard!

http://www.majornelson.com/2005/08/20/chat-with-j-allard/

Please express YOUR concerns, show NO mercy! :p

And, here is how the
    Industry Reacts

Some NOT so good, like this one...

"The idea of selling a $299 'basic' (read crippled) version of the new Xbox may make for minor bragging rights and a little press, but it is akin to buying a Ferrari F430 only to find that while the car is beautiful and has a powerful engine, the model you bought lacks a transmission capable of getting out of first gear. You may be able to rev the deep-throated engine and impress the neighbors, but in truth, you will barely be able to get out of the garage.

"This is one of those silly market concepts dreamed up by a middle-aged, non-gamer who once worked at Proctor and Gamble. To him or her I say, 'Stick to Tide and Pringles.'

"With the original Xbox, I admired Microsoft for having the imagination to incorporate an Ethernet connector. Even though they got the initial timing wrong, it was a leap of faith by a major player who showed the industry they were willing to back a vision. The current play of $299 for a box that is inadequate in order to have bragging rights over Sony is as bad an idea as the RJ45 connector was a good one.

"So, listen up Microsoft - never disrespect your audience. We will understand if you tell us that you cannot match PS3 in price because of the different approach you have taken in order to achieve a better end result. But do NOT confuse the retail chain with a near worthless SKU and try to pull one over on your public for the right to play shell games with price when the PS3 is released next year.

"That is a recipe for more bad word of mouth than any 'under $300' price will ever achieve in the hearts and minds of your customers. It takes fourteen positive impressions to register ?awareness? with a consumer. It takes but one negative impression to wipe it out. I figure with your initial leap of faith added to this latest stupid pet trick, you?re just about even?

6. JediMasterNicolas

JediMasterNicolas Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2005
    Nah, I'll pass. I'll go with good ole Sony, who'll make a nice old console, backwards compatable right off the bat, for around $200. Plus it'll be nice and shiny.

I finally got X-Box last Christmas, and while it is great, Microsoft may just screw themselves with this.

Why do I say that? Because of several factors

The Core System seemed all fine and dandy to me (other than the tad hefty price) because I don't play X-Box live, then I saw it wasn't BC right off the bat. GOODBYE. I'm not paying $299 for a console which I can't play my games on. If I did go out and buy the adaption, it'd be what, another $100? What's the point of making two versions if they're both gonna cost the same, but buy the "cheaper" one will be more of a hassle, because putting adapters on a console is a bitch.

No, all the good games will come out for PS2. I shall buy them, and after about a year, get PS3, and be on my merry way.

7. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
  8. Jango-Fett10

Jango-Fett10 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    Actually, Currently, The PS3 for now, is priced at $299. But they could change it. But that is the price named for now.

9. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Is this what your talking about?

RUMOR #1: Like the Xbox 360, the PlayStation 3 has been dual-priced... at $299 and 399 Euros!

Source: International retail combo of Amazon.com's US site by way of Engadget, and Amazon.com's French site.

The official story: : "We haven't made any announcements regarding price point for PS3."--Sony spokesperson.

What we heard: The Xbox 360's price was announced on Wednesday, meaning it must be time to divert all attention to the pricing of the PS3. One of the first Stateside sightings came courtesy of the eagle-eyed inspectors at Engadget, who caught Amazon.com with a listing for the console at $299 (but don't go calling it the "Core System" yet). The price has since been removed from the page, but not before Engadget grabbed a screenshot. The curious thing about the price listing? There's no disclaimer of "price subject to change" immediately near the sales figure. Not to be outdone, Amazon's French Web site lists the PS3 (see picture #1) for $399 Euros ($485). With projections of the PlayStation 3 as the most expensive of the three next-gen consoles, this price seems a bit more on target. BUT, there is a disclaimer, in French, that the price is not finalized. It didn't stop the site from offering to sell both the Xbox 360 and PS3 together for the low, low price of 699.98 Euros ($851)! Never mind that the figure is simply the sum of both consoles' prices. How do you say rip-off in French?

Bogus or not bogus?: Sony's comment works for us. C'est Bogus.

There has been no announced price as of yet. But it has been hinted that it will be expensive. Even analyst who have looked at the componets have suggested the $500 cost to make. Which suggest that Sony would take the $100 hit as most new consoles do and price at $399.

10. Jango-Fett10

Jango-Fett10 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    Wow nice answer Uncle Owen =D=

11. JediMasterNicolas

JediMasterNicolas Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2005
    Oh, well don't I feel stupid.

Don't worry, it happens alot.

12. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Oh hell yeah, thx for posting that!

Wireless network here I come.

13. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Almost 2000 in the chat right now! :eek:

14. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
  15. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    You think the prices will drop in about a year? Like:

The $399 version drops to $299.

The $299 version drops to $199.

Because I am thinking they will probably release X-Box games for about one year after the release of the Xbox 360, and then after that, I'm out of luck. I am not going to buy a PS3 for the same reason I'm not buying the cheaper Xbox, no hard drive. That is one of the reasons the XBox is superior to the PS2.

16. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Not sure what version I am getting.

17. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Yeah, I have job and my spending habits are pretty fair.

And I just cannot call 500 bucks a drop in the bucket.

That's a nice chunk of change no matter what.

I'm passing on it until decent price drops.

18. sidious1

sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 5, 2002
    I'm getting the best one at launch! An extra $70 for all of the extra stuff seems better. Get it all from the outset and you don't have to worry about up-grading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.