The Yellow Brick Road - The Wizard of Oz discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Moleman1138, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [image=http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000ADS64E.01.PT01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = We're off to see teh Wizard, the Wonderful Wizard of Oz

As I look back on this film beyond my child years, it still has a pretty strong impact. I remember watching this as kid thinking what an adventure.

The color imagery and archetypes used in this story are so concrete. As a kid the thing to be scared of are the Flying Monkeys and the Wicked Witch of the West, but the themes woven in here are more frightening than some evil witch and her minions.

WoO is a great piece of work that relies not just fantasy and by saying that I think it was a well-crafted film and tale as a whole.

2. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    This may sound surprising, but I still have not seen this film. I got the DVD box set pictured above for Christmas, though, so I should get around to watching it pretty soon.
  3. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 6
    This had to be one of my all time fave movies growing up, well okay still is.

I think it's intresting however that the intial book had all these hidden meanings and symbolism to them. I can't remember everything, but it was intresting, I remember that.

~PK~
  4. EDKRIEG Jedi Knight

star 1
    Nice to see a post about a great film.Has anyone read the novel Wicked by Maguire which was made into a musical?Different version of WOZ.Wonder how the movie would have done if certain cut scenes were included originally-like the Jitterbug and there were different actors for the tin man and wizaard.Let's say Buddy Ebsen was able to remain in the part and for the wizard-W.C.Fields.Comments?
  5. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Son of the Suns posted:
    />
    I have to join you there - I've seen most of it in bits and pieces but never actually sat through the entire thing. I need to though so I have it on my list of "classics" I've seen in their entirety. ;)
    />/>
  6. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I surprised you haven't seen all the way through. It's AFI's #6 Favorite Film.

What I like about it is that Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion all have characteristics present in Dorothy, (Intelligence, Love/Compassion and Courage) And as the story progresses, she changes as with every character she meets.

The jealousy and revenge plot of the Wicked Witch is quite nicely done. I feel she plays well against both Dorothy and Glinda.
  7. Rose_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4

I've read Wicked. It's a fantastic book, but you won't get all the nuiances if you haven't read Wizard of oz the book, because the book is very different than the movie version. The musical (which i haven't seen, but the soundtrack is fantastic) is a different take on the book. But still very interesting when you veiw the two books, the movie and the musical together its a very different retelling of what happened in oz.

I love the movie, partially because i love judy garland, and partially because it's a great cinematic peice. I read once that its one of the few movies that everyone has seen. When i took a children's lit class in college, my professor talked about the movie versus the book, and he asked who in the class hadn't seen the movie. Two people out of 150 raised their hands.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.