main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Yippee hatred phenomenon

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Empress Shatterpoint, Dec 9, 2014.

?

To what degree is 'Yippee' bothering you?

1. It totally ruins TPM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It totally ruins the Prequels

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It totally ruins Anakin's character

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It ruins Anakin's character in TPM

4.6%
  5. It totally ruins Star Wars

0.9%
  6. I don't like it, but it's too minor to actually ruin anything for me

30.6%
  7. I am indifferent to the use of Yippee

41.7%
  8. I like Yippee

22.2%
  1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    For me it just doesn't sound right when he says it; more about Lloyd's delivery/acting than anything....but in no way is it a big deal or anything. Also, I didn't know this was a thing that people hated that much.

2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Indifferent, I don't like or love the use of the word, but I would hardly say I hate it.

Saying one word totally kills a movie or trilogy is taking it a bit far imo too.

3. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    Indifferent. For some some reason though"Let's go left" grates on my ears but doesn't ruin the film.

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  4. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Oh, and for the record, I am loving the very premise of this thread. Though, I feel as if you're maybe missing a few extra options:
    • It totally ruins my day
    • It totally ruins the opportunity to use said line in any other movie
    • I do like it, but only when no one else is in the room
    • I sometimes like it and sometimes don't, and am sometimes indifferent to when I don't
    • It ruins my Asian street bike racing cred, but not totally
    • I can't talk now—the nurse is trying to make me take my medicine
    Also, in contrast of such a notably rehearsed line, I think it deserves mention the ever-so-slightest bit of impromptu acting afforded to Lloyd during the scene where he first activates a blind Threepio, as if Lucas just let the cameras roll while the kid was playing with his toys:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For me, it's always been "Everything's overheated!" Don't ask why. It's just one of those throwaway lines that's been stuck in the back of my mind for years, playing on a constant loop. The other day, I was just standing there: "Everything's overheated!" ...my girlfriend looked at me.

5. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013

While I'm at it, I might as well add the following:

-I'd rather hear Palps cackling himself into constipation
    -It damaged my ears beyond repair
    -I don't like Yippee, it's coarse, rough and irritating and gets everywhere
    -It wouldn't be fair to Yippon and Yippoo to like Yippee
    -Yippette has forbidden me to love Yippee, but hey I'm flexible, I would be all for an affair with any type of Yipps. *drools oh so secretly*

Good catch on that Anakin/3P0 scene.

6. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Win.

7. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Are you saying the TPM as one film was more about Anakin vs it being about Padme?? Im not understanding that point of view. From the beginning to end TPM seemed to be about helping Padme rid the Naboo of the Trade Federation. How do you see the story of that one film alone?

8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

The larger story is about Padme repelling the Trade Federation from her besieged world. A sort of epic framing device.

Into that story -- caught up in that story (in a manner not unlike Luke) -- is Anakin. And while caught up in it, he also helps contribute much of the film's more innocent, and somewhat callow, tone.

It is actually the case (well, from a certain POV) that Padme dramatically shapes the narrative of the entire PT. The PT is kind of a black comedy about how Jedi attempts at "protecting" Padme, the sacred feminine, ultimately go horribly wrong.

Everyone mangles it over a single woman. She is the saga's equivalent of "Helen of Troy".

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    When I see a beautiful woman, I feel this urge to ask her if she were an angel from one of the moons of Iago, I think.

If I get dicked on, I feel this urge to angrily contort my face and say, "I'm a PERSON and my name is _____!!!!"

:p

In all fairness, if anyone's to blame, it's the scriptwriters and Lucas. Jake was just doing what they told him to do.

Sarge likes this.
  10. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    It totally ruins Star Wars. There was a perfectly good opportunity to 'cut' that was missed

11. Empress Shatterpoint

Jan 5, 2013
    solo77, can you explain why you think it totally ruins Star Wars?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Indifferent. I see it ruining, nor making anything better in the film.

It's a rather strange argument if you had seen two folks going on and on about the phrase 'Yippee'. I think that it's only used to express little brat Ani as a child, in which he was. Versus him acting mature at what looks like the age of 9 - 10, or at least like the way he acts in AotC. All in all, the phrase isn't a bad thing, but nor is it something to get all fussed up about. Yippee! I put my reply in. :rolleyes:

13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I'm a bit perplexed that some people don't think Yippee is an "Earthism" it certainly is in Britain,before the 1970's anyway. Just pick up a Roald Dahl book and you'd find it.

Anyway, doesn't bother me. If throw away lines are enough to ruin a film for you then there is not much I can say really.

14. Empress Shatterpoint

Jan 5, 2013
    Commander Krix

I think TPM is the only movie in which Anakin is actually showing some signs of maturity. His speech about world's biggest problem being a lack of generosity from people sounded grown up for his age for instance, and though he was somewhat childishly nonchalant about serious matters like possibly being blown up(they blow us up. BOOM!) methinks he was aware of the gravity of the situation deep down. I thought TPM Anakin was surprisingly insightful, brave and thoughtful. His AOTC version on the other hand...ouch. Some of the saga's worst self-absorbed immature moments are in there. And although his before-Vader ROTS version had calmed down a bit(in comparison to AOTC), his temper tantrum in the Council chambers didn't do him any favors in the self-aware department.

I watched AOTC one day before seeing TPM, and boy, if you knew how shocked I was at how 9 year old Anakin was portrayed! From seeing AOTC, I was almost expecting some 9 year old spoiled brat focused on 'me, me, me'. I was also expecting ROTS Anakin to be even worst than AOTC Anakin, so was surprised at how much lighter he seemed in the beginning( hesitant in his execution of Dooku vs slaughtering the whole Tusken camp out of rage).

Dandelo, as a 22 year old Canadian woman, TPM is the only time I've heard the word 'Yippee' so I thought it might have been a Star Wars invented exclamation. Interesting to hear that it was widely used in Britain before the 70s.

Sarge, Commander Krix and Andy Wylde like this.
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I always read the hesitation of murdering Dooku as entirely forced dramatic effect not moral hesitation. Interesting difference in perception there. Yippee is an Americanism as well, it does seem very regional.

Agree mostly with your fist paragraph. Ani does seem internally more aware than many for his age. However, the fact he's 9 still is pretty obvious.

16. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Wow! If there are actually many people think that a 9 year old kid saying Yippee is wrong, I would hate to think what of what they think or feel about the Little Rascals?

Pensivia and Commander Krix like this.
  17. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Empress Shatterpoint

You've helped me see such a big difference in Anakin throughout the PT. You're very correct that 9 year old Ani is definitely more mature than AotC Ani. Though I find RotS Anakin to be debatable, you've made some valid points, as well as Cushy beating me to replying about the execution. :p

18. Empress Shatterpoint

Jan 5, 2013
    My interpretation of the PT Anakin arc is that he started off as pure as one could be(TPM), deeply regressed into an arrogant, tormented melancholic, self-absorbed, immature Padawan (AOTC), managed to progress a bit but buried his issues instead of dealing with/acknowledging them(ROTS), then finally crumbled under the pressure when forced to actually face lifelong issues(fear of loss/inability to let go), selling his soul to preserve his love, ironically destroying his own ability to love in the process(Birth of Vader).

I've written a more thorough exploration of Anakin's psyche here should anyone be bothered to read through my rambling analysis:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/favorite-characters-from-the-star-wars-films.50003947/page-12

As for the spread of Yippee,I've been to 8 Canadian provinces,7 American States, and 3 countries outside of North America. I never happened to be stumbling upon people saying 'Yippee', but the broadness of vocabulary variety definitely makes it possible for me to have missed it. I suppose it could even be a Canadianism as well in some regions of my country. From your observations(Dandelo, Cushing's Admirer or anyone else having heard of Yippee before the movie), would you say it is an exclamation mostly said by kids under ten, kids +teenagers, or does it transcend age?

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Indifferent, Anakin is nine years old so it works. I'd rather watch a Yippee, Yappee and Yahooie cartoon (( carbonite dates self right there )), but I get it.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Well said, Shatterpoint. I will read your indepth post soon. :)

I would say 12 and under may say yippee without an odd look or correction.

21. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I'm not going to lie, I hate the "yipee!"

I know it's supposed to show the childish nature of what at the time is a pure, innocent and happy child...but this is a future Darth Vader we're talking about. It's a moment that kinda makes me roll my eyes and feel embarassed for TPM. But it's not the only reason I'm embarassed for TPM, as many of you can most likely back up.

.... I also could've done without "that's so wizard!"

22. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I'm totally indifferent to the use of Yippee though I've got to say, the thread title The Yippee hatred phenomenon is genuinely amusing. :D

23. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    i would say yippie if watto let me out early for once.....

24. Empress Shatterpoint

Jan 5, 2013
    _Sublime_Skywalker_, feel free to list other things that embarrassed you in TPM, I won't mind if the thread derails a bit.

For me, even though I mostly liked TPM, there are definitely aspects I could have done without. I have mentioned elsewhere that I felt Darth Maul was a failure of an antagonist, that I found the rabbit droids rather dull opponents, and that I could not get invested in any combat.

The one thing I actually found childish in TPM was the Gungans spitting. To quote a portion of my post from the 'Favorite/least favorite species in the saga' thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/favorite-and-or-least-favorite-species-in-the-saga.50021812/

25. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    what are your least favorite shatterpoint?