main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Yoda Species

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Twi'lekPrince, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Which storytelling?

You miswrote 'enhanced'.

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I said exactly what I intended.

Garrett Atkins likes this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe Jedi is the name of Yoda's species?

4. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Then this raises a question over the issue of how old Luke is when he begins his training (same for Anakin too), as if Yoda was older himself, why does he question the ability of others to be trained at an older age?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    My appreciation of the character never stemmed from untold origins or the idea of a Jedi who is "beyond a lightsaber." Indeed it's for quite the opposite reason I appreciate him--whether in puppet or CGI model form I've always found Yoda to be a very human character. Yoda picking up his walking stick and limping away after the Dooku duel in AOTC is one of the most effective moments of the entire series--here is a "great warrior" whose use of the Force allows him to achieve tremendous physical feats for a time, but even so inexplicable energy fields and dogma surrounding such can only take you so far. Unless you can adapt and make room for variations in human experience, you're inching toward exile. If there is an aspect of mystery about Yoda, it doesn't stem from an absence or presence of world-building details, but rather the narrative form that saw the character judge an initial Skywalker while holding a place of power in an eternal city, and a second one while presiding over a lonely swamp.

lbr789, bstnsx704, Alexrd and 2 others like this.
  6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I like that Lucas stayed true to his intentions and kept Yoda's background secretive. It's not necessary to the story, and it keeps a mysterious nature surrounding him.

7. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    Perhaps Yoda is... a Whill! :eek:

8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    That's been officially denied, to my knowledge, sadly. Besides, Qui-Gon's posthumous conversations with Yoda pretty much rule it out, anyway - he wouldn't have needed to bother with a 'Shaman of the Whills' if one of his bosses in the Jedi Council was a Whill.

I like GL's explanation best. He's Yoda, we don't know what he is or where he's from, but we're better off or for having known him.

The bitterly vicious, centuries-old racial conflict between his people and E.T's is none of our business. It's like most football fans around the world trying to understand just why Celtic and Rangers hate each other so much.

9. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    I think it was important to include another of his species, so that people didn't think he was the last of his kind. So many people wrongly felt that Chewbacca was the last Wookie before the prequels came out.

I love Yoda in the prequels. Was awesome to see him actually fight instead of just teaching people all the time.

Alexrd and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  10. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    The original plan of the OT was for Obi Wan to train Luke but Alec Guiness wanted to be written out of the movies. So after Obi Wan was killed off Lucas had to come up with another Jedi to train Luke (hence he created Yoda).

Yoda was just created as a replacement for Alec Guiness wanting to leave so it was not important to tell the background of his species during the OT. And again in the PT it was not important to tell the origin of his species because Yoda was head of the Jedi Council and more important things needed to be dealt with with his character than exploring his background. I am surprised though that there has not been any EU that has attempted to tell his story. Perhaps the EU authors don't want to delve into that too much because they don't want to do it wrong.

11. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
  12. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I rather like the "not knowing" of Yoda's background. Some things are better left unexplained (cough** midichlorians **cough). ]-}

JediWheelz likes this.
  13. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Midi-chlorians add more mystery than they do explain anything ;)

But I agree, I like not knowing about Yoda's background.

14. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I've heard George say that he's the illegitimate child of Kermit and Miss Piggy

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If Stewjon is canon, why isn't that canon as well?

darthzac14 likes this.
  16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I heard it was Kermit & Gollum

17. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Yoda's species is one of the few mysteries left in Star Wars. I like the mystery. As such, I don't feel it should be expand upon.

The Hellhammer and Placeholder like this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The EU has a "Sith species". I can't help but wonder if Yoda is a member of a "Jedi species". In fact, I used to think "Jedi" was Yoda's species, not an organization.

19. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Yeah, I think I used to consider that as a possibility, or, at least, that Yoda's race were the first to discover the Force and learn how to use it. Based on what GL has said, and what is available regarding Yoda's development (in Rinzler's Making of ESB), it doesn't seem that was ever the case, though.

The EU Sith species and their story, however, seems to be loosely based on GL's original notes regarding the Sith as a race of mercenaries who were trained in the use of the Dark Side by a rogue Jedi (named Darklighter, IIRC). Kevin J Anderson has claimed that GL provided him & Tom Veitch with a certain amount of material when they were writing the original TOTJ comics, I'd say it was just his old notes & drafts for SW/ANH.

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn likes this.
  20. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    While Yoda wasn't old enough to have been there for the end of the last Sith War, he is (was) old enough to have personally known survivors of that war and would have learned from them. So him knowing isn't that unbelievable.

21. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    he's a PROG - the offspring of a frog named Kermit and a pig named Miss Piggy. He's embarrassed by his background, so he hid it,ran away from home, found the GFFA and the rest is history.

As for Yaddle....well....

Lady_Misty likes this.
  22. Jedi ninja Snow

Jedi ninja Snow Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2014
    Yoda is a dark ewok from one of the moons of vendor I do a lot o reading and that's how I found out and chewbacca's nephew lowbacca becomes a Jedi when Luke makes his Jedi academy on yavin4.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    True....

but this bit - I'm puzzled about. I have a huge SW collection and I've never read anything like that. Source?

24. Admiral AckBBQ Chicken

Admiral AckBBQ Chicken Jedi Knight

Apr 10, 2014
    im not sure if this has already been said as i haven't read all the comments but a rumor is that Yoda's species is called a "whill"

source:
    http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Whill

NOTE: read the second paragraph titled speculation

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I agree, although I wonder if, since Yoda is off-limits, they will exploit Yaddle's origin and past once Lucas ends all his ties with the franchise. I hope not.