main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Young Flames - (TPM-era) , COMPLETED 6/1

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Knight-Ander, Oct 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Well, here it is, my attempt at a handmaiden fic.

The story takes place during the events of TPM and circles around Queen Amidala and her handmaidens.

It also features many original characters of mine, primarily Sau Doolane who is better known as Inni Doona in my previous fic Along the Edges . This is the prequel, so new readers don't have to go to Along the Edges to enjoy The Young Flames.

Rated: PG-13

[i]A prelude in two parts...[/i]

[b]Part One: The Thanes[/b]-

The fire in Thane Doona's bedroom was dying. "Here, Father, let me build a new one."

The elderly thane tapped his cane on the wooden floor in approval. "It has been a unusually cold season, so far," he said. "The kernel crop may not be as financially successful this year unless the weather takes a turn for the better."

"But [i]we[/i] are financially successful, Father," his son said after turning away from the newly stoked fire, raising a finger for emphasis. "The Doona family can be incredibly powerful on Naboo if you'll allow it."

Thane Doona shook his head as he took to his reading chair positioned by the expansive window. Spread outside that window was the entire western quarter of his Thanedom: The Great Southwestern Hills of Naboo and it's capital city, Seven Hills. From the day settlers migrated from the northern regions of Naboo to the dryer oasis of the southwestern hills, the Doona name had been at the forefront of the region. The family founder, Authlo Doona, helped to incorporate and defend the settlers, becoming one of it's largest land owners and then it's ruler. "The Doona family has a responsibility to the people of the Great Southwestern Hills and all of the Naboo, Crauft."

"But it has no sway in the capital of Naboo," Crauft Doona pointed out, moving to his father's side. "It never has. It's as if Theed hardly cares if we exist at all."

"We are part of the Naboo." The thane coughed into his sleeve. "But we are allowed to operate independently because of that success you are so proud of."

"We would be more powerful if we did not have to pay taxes to Theed."

"All regions of Naboo pay taxes to Theed."

Crauft went to one knee to plead with his father, his dark eyes shinning. "But we are almost an independent nation, Father. We [i]are[/i] an independent nation. We have no need to be ruled by Theed. We could have our own representative in the Galactic Senate. Not even the gunguns have that!"

The thane waved his hand in annoyance. "Posh! The gunguns don't want to have anything to do with the Naboo or the Senate. They just want to be left alone, and that's the way it will be. That's the way it [i]should[/i] be!"

The younger Doona nodded. "Yes, Father, the gunguns have no future with the Naboo or otherwise." The thane raised an eyebrow at his son's statement but said nothing. "But we, Father, we can have a future all our own. The Congress of the Republic can be easily swayed by one man. Senator Palpatine is working very dilligently on behave of the Naboo---"

Thane Doona cut his son off. "You admire Cos Palpatine? You've spend too much time on Coruscant---"

"Where I have learn quite a bit about democracy," Crauft sneered, standing and turning away from his father. He picked up a brand and stoked the fire, again, increasing the light and the temperature in the room. "Every last being is looking out for itself despite the consequences to others." He noisily returned the brand to it's rack. "And do you know who pays for it most?"

"The Outer Rim Worlds," Thane Doona nodded. "As long as the capital of the Republic is a core world, rim worlds will unjustly carry the burden." He finished the sentence in a fit of coughing. "Help me to my bed, my son. If I take that medical formula shake you have found while in my chair, I'll fall asleep before I can---" Another fit of coughing took over, cutting off his voice.

Crauft moved again to his father's side and took his elbow to help manu

2. Tinuviel_Jyana

Tinuviel_Jyana Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    OH WOW GREAT START!!! :D [face_shocked]

I can't wait to see what else is coming... i smell the action... and it smells like those cookies i was gonna eat up *offers you one*

3. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    *takes cookiee from TJ*

Thanks. Yummy. :)

The second part of the prelude will be posted later this afternoon.

4. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    WOW! I'm hooked! :)

So Audre is his half sister, didn't expect that and who is this Sid that he met? And did he just kill the Thane?

Excellent background info, set the scene very nicely!

Sabe126

5. Padawan_Laurianna

Padawan_Laurianna Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2002
    BYLEAH! :eek: (Think of a Lando-like squeal/shriek/exclamation as he almost gets yanked into the Sarlaac pit, or however you spell that.)

Oh my. That was most, umm (and take this as a compliment, I love this movie) Gladiator-like. Why do I get the feeling I don't like this Crauft Doona, hmmm? [face_mischief] Ah sarcasm. What a wondrous thing. But really, nice dark way to begin and lure us into the story. The lines here are already connecting a few dots for me in my head. Interesting allusions to the future separtist movement of the AotC time period. Makes it very clear that even that too was already being staged 10 years prior those events (if not longer), at least in your story. (Though I would expect that to be canon in theory at least even if not applicable to your AU.)

I am so incredibly excited to see your prequel begin. I look forward to more, but if I periodically drop off the JCF and don't drop any feedback, don't think I'm not reading when I can, I'm just getting psycho-busy as my exhibition approaches. I'll always give you feedback for the whole thing, even if I'm late about it. ;)

:D L

6. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    *Trumpets blare*

It started!

Okay, I'm definitely with the crowd of people who don't like Crauft Doona--smothering your own father isn't the most likeable trait you can find. I'm willing to guess that the Sid-- person he met is Sidious, as opposed to, I don't know, Sid Vicious?

The political debates were well-done and showed Crauft's willpower and willingness to break away from his home just for power.

I'll be eagerly awaiting the next post!

7. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    Wow, KA What a great start! Wonderful, complex characters, insightful look into Naboo politics, and patricide to boot! Whoo hoo! I'm starting this fic, but I'm still planning on finishing your other one. Since this is a prequel, I should be okay in not getting spoiled for ending for your first one. :)

Oh, quick question. I noticed you gave Palpatine a first name. Is that your invention or did you find it somewhere? I've been looking everywhere for Palpy's first name.

8. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Arwyn - Thanks for asking that question about Palpatine's name. In the process of my research for this story, I stumbled upon this entry at imdb.com where they list Palpatine's first name as "Cos", so I decided to run with it. That detailed credit list has a number of other "uncredited" names that are really interesting, too. Cos is not, however, listed at the Official Site.

L - Believe it or not, I wasn't thinking of Gladiator as I wrote that scene, and I haven't seen it in a while, but thanks for pointing that out. Maybe that movie had a greater inpact on my psyche than I thought! ;)

More dots to connect in the next post this afternoon, and it'll be a bit lighter.

Sabe - The excerpt I posted from this at the end of Along the Edges will have a clue as to whether Thane Doona was killed or not, but I guess you could probably figure that out by the speculations already posted here by your fellow readers. :)

Moonbeam - Crauft is a nasty, evil man, and, if you may recall, we have already seen him before in Along the Edges, where he makes a cameo showing what other dirty deeds he is capable of.

I'm thrilled that you are all back and excited for more! :D The second part of the prelude will be posted this afternoon.

See you then.

9. Denny

Denny Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2001
    yay yay yay! :D

Great start!!!

waiting for more

Denny

10. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    prelude continues...

Part Two: Audré and Sau-

They moved down The Waterfall's grand staircase hand in hand, their smiles fueled by food, wine, and happiness. "Yes, that is far too romantic a place to have the rehersal dinner," Audré laughed as she took the final set of stairs two at a time.

Her fiancé pulled her close, his hand finding a new home on her hip. "Have I ever lied to you?"

She looked up into his green eyes and kissed his chin. "Never, which infuriates me to no end."

"And why is that?"

"Because everything you say is true." She kissed his chin again. "Just this once, I want you to be wrong."

He lifted his eyes to the moon climbing across Theed's nighttime sky. "Then the sun is the moon, and the moon is the sun."

Audré followed his gaze, then, with a wicked grin, threw her hands up with an exasperated sigh. "You're right, again. The moon is the sun."

"You are far too good for my ego, have I told you that?" They crossed the square outside the restaurant and began a slow trek to the public observatory to gaze at the stars. Inside the restaurant, as table candles flickered and the grand waterfall it was named after gurgled, Audré had looked up at the luminous constellations on the domed ceiling and wondered aloud how accurate they were. "The night is still young," her fiancé had told her. "We can go to the observatory and find out?"

"It's so warm tonight and the sky is so clear," she said, spinning away from him, the hem of her pine-green skirt flaring. "We could spend the rest of the night counting stars, Sau."

Sau Doolane stopped and put his hands in his pockets, watching his intended dance from pool of lamplight to pool of lamplight. How long had he been chasing her? Officially, it had been just over three years since they were first introduced by a mutual friend who had learned of his crush on the young Lady Doona. Sethron Rose had been the son of a cook at Doona Manor and had known Audré since childhood. Years later, he met Sau as a freshman at the Seven Hills Academy where they were roommates, sharing several classes, and where he learned of the crush Sau had for the girl that had been festering for years. "Were you there on her Titling Day? She was so beautiful in that blue and white dress, that golden necklace type thing around her neck. And her hair! The reason it rained that afternoon is because the sun was crying with envy." Sethron had fallen back on his bunk laughing when he heard that. "It's true," Sau insisted, just a little peeved that his friend was finding humor in the statement. "Nothing shone more brighter than her hair on that day. Well, maybe her smile..." He was soon lost in the memory.

"I hate to break it to you," Sethron said after recovering from his laughing fit. "But most of that was a wig she had specially made in Theed. If we ever have a Queen again, she'd go to the exact same place for her hair supplies." He shook his head and brushed at a tear coming from his eye. "Good Gods, Man. She was only thirteen at the time!"

"And I was only fifteen. How would you know how I feel anyway, you've know her all her life, she's more like a sister to you than a woman." Sau was feeling a bit irked at his friend's mirth.

Sethron made it up for him several months later by making him his guest at the Winter Solstice Gala at Doona Manor. The young cadets of the Seven Hills Guard showed-up in their dark-blue, freshly pressed dress uniforms, Sau decidedly more jittery than his friend at his first official function at Doona Manor. "Come on, I'll introduce you to the lady of the house."

Sau had lost all cardiovascular control at his friend's words. "She's here?" he voiced with a hissing whisper.

"Of course she is," Sethron told him, smiling as beads of sweat popped out on Sau's forehead. "This is her home afterall," he added as they began to move through the festive crowd.

Sau nodded vigorously, mentally kicking himself for even asking the question. He had let Sethron talk him into going to the function just because there was a chance th

11. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    The gradually growing romance shown between Audre and Sau (there's something I'll have to get used to!) was excellent, and so was the brief appearance of Padme.

And things will get worse before they get better, if Edges was any indication.

I have the funniest feeling we're being set up for a fall with Audre after Doona's thoughts of her in Edges... Any chance you can call me on that?

12. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    wow, this is a new kind of story! i love how you incorporated the gunguns with this! i curious to see how audre will play a role in this!

post soon!

13. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    OOoooh!! Great beginning Ander!! Very exciting! Straight to the drama, angst and excitment! :p

I like Audré already!! Thought I know liking her and getting attacted to her character is a big mistake, thanks to Edges... :(

Anywé, I agree with Laurianna, somone has been watching Gladiator a bit too much! ;) Sillé!! :p

It was a good scene though, I liked the conflicting thoughts of the son and father. Though I think it would be a bad idea for them to form their seperate 'state' away from Naboo, it just makes things more confusing all around. ;)

Can't wait for more! :)

~Chiquita

14. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    *Enters thread with fireworks going in the background*

Sorry. Just thought I'd make a big entrance ;) .

Anyway...

Congratulations! You have a brand new reader. I'm always looking for a good handmaiden story!

*Jumps up and down in excitement*

15. Tinuviel_Jyana

Tinuviel_Jyana Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    WOW! i can't wait to see what's happening next (although i think i smell the Phantom Menace)

16. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I haven't read your other one, but this one is off to a great start! I love the little touches that make it real and yet also exotic and Star Wars-y, like the names of the different cadet regiments, and the names of the floral bouquets.

Yup, this one's an "upper!"

(Do I need to use the M word yet?) :)

17. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Hey! A couple of new names to my readership. :)

Denny - Thanks for the cheers and dropping in. More tomorrow.

TJ - We jump right into it in the next post as our story begins tomorrow.

Mistress Renata - No need to rush to the other one just yet. Thanks for the compliments about the details of the story, I always enjoy it when someone finds something in the periphery to comment about. :)

And watch your language! ;)

FurryDuck - Boy, trumpets and fireworks, and we're only on the first page!! Hope I won't disappoint you when the girls finally show up. They're in hair and make-up right now, preparing for their debut in the story. ;)

bobill - One of my major supporting characters will be a gungun girl, and hopefully she'll show up sometime this weekend, I'll have to check the call sheet. :D

Moonbeam - Can't call you on that, don't have your number. [face_laugh]

*Knight-Ander's Muse whacks him over the back of the head*

My Muse is another reason I can't, too. :)

Obischick - Moré reasons to like Audré in future posts. I was a little worried that I'd turn her into a Mary Sué, so she's one of my more carefully developed characters for this story.

18. Padawan_Laurianna

Padawan_Laurianna Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2002
    That was a lovely romantic post, Ander, I think you might be a closet romantic. ;) Or maybe not so closet... :p You did a nice job here tying in the past of their relationship as you describe the current action and activity. Very nice, up to your usual standard. :D

I need to read Sabé 126's story so I can hear more about this restaurant. It makes me think of Italy, but that may just be because Naboo scenes are often shot in Italy and are styled after it a bit...

You have humanized the stony-faced young Queen. Not a one of the numerous handmaidenly stories have mentioned her needing to reach out to her family for support. Beautiful touch. But then you are known for those nice story details, aren't you? I liked the way you tied the romantic scene to the Queen by having the Lt. and his love spot the blockade before we see Sabé inform Padmé of this problem. Good way of bringing the dark truth of reality into the faces of the lovebirds. I think it is good that you had your character stumble a bit in his relationship with Audré, makes their happiness more realistic.

So keep it up.
    :D L

EDIT:
    P.S. This is my 200th post!!!! YAY! Passes out cake and ice cream, extra for Ander because I hogged the ice cream last time... [face_blush] :D

19. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Excellent KA! That was a great mix of romance and foreboding.

In the Phantom Menace the people of Naboo remain on the edges of the story with only a few shots of them crossing the plaza and the reference to the camps. Never really thought before how the invasion affected individuals.

That was so dramatic when the Trade Federation ships appeared, I didn't expect that.

Things don't look too good for the couple, will the wedding go ahead? Loved the details of their courtship. Is Sau still bankrupt?

Thank you to Sau and Audre for making reservations! :)

Sabe126

20. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    A lovely post, KA! As noted, you're doing a great job of humanizing the handmaidens. Fascinating lovelies whom we saw and learned far too little of in Phantom.

21. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Sabe - Much of what takes place involving the people of Naboo in this story was inspired by Chaos Rose's Untitled. She does an amazing job of covering the aftermath of the Trade Federation's invasion of Naboo and I highly recommend anyone who is reading this to read that, too. It's 10 pages in, but Darth Real Life picks on her a lot, so it should be easy to catch up. ;) When she does get time to post, it is usually some fantastic stuff.

P.S. All you Obi lovers would enjoy it, too. No wet Obi-Wan scenes, yet, but you never know. ;)

Sau didn't go bankrupt, but the women in his life always seem to have the knack for bleeding his wallet dry. To quote Threepio in ESB, "How typical." [face_laugh]

L - I guess I am a closet romantic, but I wouldn't recognize Miss Right if she slapped me. [face_blush] But enough about me...

I was a little worried that the Queen Amidala scene would be too short to convey much, but I guess it worked, so thanks for telling me that it did. The one thing that has me nervous about writing this story is that all of the fine handmaiden fics I've read have had female authors, so, from a certain point of view, I feel as if I'm a pioneer in the genre, and hope not to bump my head against any glass-ceilings in my journey through this adventure, fingers crossed and everything. :D

Now, on a completely separate note, the nearest Dairy Queen (a mere 5 minute drive away) has closed for the season, and if I want any DQ ice cream treats, I've got to drive 20 minutes out of town. :( That being said, I'm glad you decided to bring cake and ice cream to share with the rest of us. :D I think TJ might have some cookiees still left if she hasn't eaten them all already. ;)

Arwyn - Thanks! The girls got out of hair and make-up not too long ago, and are almost out of wardrobe, (that ever vain Obi-Wan is hogging the mirror [face_laugh] ) so we'll be seeing them in the, hopefully, 2 posts I'll put up today.

22. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Chapter One: Getting Out of Town Alive
    part one

Saché swallowed hard as she heard the choices presented to the Queen of Naboo. Due to a disagreement in the Republic Senate involving the taxation of trade routes to outlying systems like Naboo's, the greedy Trade Federation decide to take an aggressive step to solve the problem in their favor with a blockade. After still further delay, and in a bid to accelerate their plans, the Trade Federation decided to invade the pratically defenseless planet. Now, in the short time since, Federation troops occupied the Naboo capital of Theed, and the Queen and her court were on the run, rescued by a pair of Jedi who were initially sent as ambassadors from the Republic's Supreme Chancellor to the Trade Federation Viceroy in order to negotiation a peacful settlement to end the blockade.

But the viceroy had refused to hear them.

They were now all gathered outside a heavily guarded Theed Hangar, where the Queen's Royal Starship was berthed, trying to decided whether the Queen should stay and let the Jedi escape to report back to the Senate, or go with them to help the senator from Naboo plead their case against the Trade Federation. Captain Panaka, the stalwart commander of the Royal Naboo Security Forces, warned the Queen of the danger in attempting to escape, while Governor Bibble of Theed insisted that her presence in Coruscant to plead Naboo's case to the Senate would be a great help in repeling the Trade Federation presence.

The Jedi's stance was even more unnerving. "They will kill you if you stay," the elder Jedi firmly said. It was hard to argue with that.

"Either choice presents a great risk," the Queen said turning to face one of the handmaidens in the cluster surrounding her, "to us all."

The handmaiden responded. "We are brave, Your Highness."

So, it was decide. Saché swallowed hard again because the handmaiden the Queen had spoken to was no ordinary handmaiden, she was really the Queen in disguise, while the pseudo-queen was really another handmaiden and loyal bodyguard by the name of Sabé. Sabé blinked to acknowledge the Queen's words and turned back to the men who were trying to influence her decision. Padmé, the Queen's real name as well as her handmaiden one, motioned to the others.

I can only take two more, she explained in a series of gestures made with her fingers. Saché, Yané, you'll have to stay. Make it look good. Saché glanced at the youngest handmaiden in the group. Yané was a surprisingly good actress, and could probably fill in for the Queen in a few years if the need arose, so she was not worried that she could turn on the tears when she needed to, but she was worried about being able to turn on the tears herself.

"Be careful Governor," Sabé was saying, carefully following the Jedi through the durasteel double doors of the hangar's main entrance. Padmé flashed a last minute Good-luck in their direction before following. Yané already had a waterfall going, and clutched Saché's arm for effect. She bent her head down as if to comfort the girl. "Thanks," she whispered. "Just don't over do it. You're making me look bad."

Yané was having problems keeping a somber face. "Just don't let all that has happened in the pass couple of--- What's happening?" Yané said looking through the hangar doors.

Saché raised her head to watch as the younger Jedi stepped away from the Queen's group and headed for a droid-guarded assemblage of Royal Security Forces and pilots. The elder Jedi, leading the Queen's group, was stopped at the base of the ramp leading into the Queen's Royal Starship by an armed squad of droids. There was a discussion, then suddenly the Jedi drew the legendary weapon of the Jedi, a lightsaber, and proceeded to make scrap out of the droids, Panaka, the Queen, and the other handmaiden's charging up the ramp. The younger Jedi was doing the same and freeing the pilots and soldiers in the process.

Saché snapped her jaw shut, amazed at the Jedi's abilities, suddenly realizing that the freed soldiers

23. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Excellent, excellent Knight-Ander!! :) I love this story! But does one need to read your other story, the one about Sau, in order to understand this one? Or will you explain that stuff as we go along?

24. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    Upping this for now - I can't wait to read it!

25. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Thanks, FAB. Nice to see you here after seeing you almost everywhere else. :)

This is the prequel to that one, menilma, so you don't have to read Along the Edges first in order to enjoy this one. :)

Thanks to both of you for dropping by. :D

More later this afternoon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.