main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Young Jedi Knights Masters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi-Sith, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Sith

Jedi-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 4, 2001
    At the end of the Young Jedi Knights series, Jaina, Jacen, Anakin, Tenel Ka, Lowbacca Zekk, Raynar and Lusa were considered Jedi Apprentices ready to be taken by Masters...

ok so Jacen and Anakin had Luke take them and Jaina had Mara so who were the others?

Is it safe to assume Markre Medjev is Tenel Ka's Master as he seems to keep travelling with her?

Also I am confused by the dramatis persona in the NJO, they sometimes call the lot Jedi Apprentices and sometimes Knights... what are they all now.. It seemed in SbS they were considered Knights but then the dramatis called Tahiri a Knight who never even went through Apprenticeship. Tekli is also said in SbS to be Cighal's apprentice yet is called a Knight... help a poor confused soul

2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Simple, Del Rey has a hard time keeping track of what they put into books.

Officially, Jacen and Anakin were Luke's Padawans, and Jaina was Mara's. For a while Anakin was also trained by Corran, and then Mara.

And now Jaina is Kyp's Padawan.

Don't know about the others tho.

3. Sabrajaguar

Sabrajaguar Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 22, 2001
    Markre Medjev? Who is this I always asummed Tenel ka Studiedunder Her mother or Dathmorian Grandmother, or some ForceWitch.

4. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    I wouldn't assume that the Jedi Order that began with Master Luke Skywalker follows the same exact traditions as the Jedi Orders that Predate the Rise of the Empire.

"When" "if" and "how" these various Jedi Orders differ are issues in their own right. So maybe comparing and contrasting would work for illustrative purposes?

At this time, however, who's to say - what is "right" and "wrong" - regarding the whole "Knight" "Apprentice" "Padawan" and "Master" confusion?

Also note, Elaine Cunningham's "The Crystal" published in the Star Wars Gamer briefly depicts Jaina's, Jacen's, Zekk's, Tenel Ka's, Lowbacca's, etc., graduation to Jedi Knights shortly before events of VP. At that time, Jacen and Anakin have already accepted becoming Apprentices to Master Luke Skywalker and Jaina has just been extended an offer to become Master Mara Jade Skywalker's Apprentice.

5. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    I had always thought that Tenel Ka would be (and at this point in the story, was) Kirana Ti?s apprentice. Who is this Markre Medjev that Jedi-Sith mentioned?

Also, I think that in Luke?s new Jedi order, once a student has completed his or her training at the academy he or she is considered a Jedi Knight. However, before any missions are assigned to this new Jedi, he or she must spend some time as an apprentice. But that?s just my guess?

6. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    That fits Jedisolo. I think "Jedi Knight" is a title used for all Jedi, other than masters, who are out in the field. I guess I see it that in Luke's Jedi order one becomes a Knight before being an Apprentice.
    Remember the title of the book series was Young Jedi Knights not apprentices.

7. Jedi-Sith

Jedi-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 4, 2001
    Hmmm it used to be just becoming Jedi Knights after a year or so but just after Hand Of Thrawn and Union, Luke changed it to basically the same system as the old order, so there were Jedi Apprentices.

BTW Markre Medjev was the Jedi Knight travelling around with Tenel Ka during Balance Point. As Jaina is still doing her apprenticeship, now under Kyp I assumed Tenel Ka cant be a fullfledged Knight yet, so I took the one she was seen travelling with.

Your thoughts...

8. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    If Anakin and Jacen are full-fledged Jedi, then Jaina and Tenel Ka are too. They all had the same amount of training at the academy, and about the same amount of time as apprentices (although, I don?t think that that has much to do with whether they are Jedi or not).

Being an apprentice isn?t a sine of having not completed your training; just as going to college isn?t a sine of not having gotten a diploma. In both cases, I believe that it is just a continuation of education.

9. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    The way i interpret the situation is this :

Stage One - one goes to the Yavin Academy to learn how to use the Force. They learn the basics, the main philosophy and some of the finer skills and develop their personal talents. During this Stage, they are called students or apprentices.

Stage Two - Having learnt all the theory, the graduates of the Academy are assigned to a Master or other Knight as a Padawan learner. They travel with their teacher learning the ropes, how to apply the skills they have learned as well as pick up new ones. The learning process is on-going in all levels. They perform missions, experience situations, etc. Just like work experience after training in our world. Every being who graduates from the Academy (and thus has the skills and some of the knowledge) is called a Jedi. At this stage, Padawans can and are referred to as "x" person's apprentice, and they have the right to the title of Jedi Knight.

Stage Three - These Jedi Knights have all the skills, knowledge and practical experience required to fulfill their function. They are now free to work on their own, or to teach another Jedi in the Padawan system (Stage Two). If you see a lone Jedi Knight performing his tasks, then it is almost certain that they are not Padawans. There is no restriction on these Jedi working in groups, but given the statistics, it is more likely that a lot of the 'normal' work is done on their own.

Stage Four - A Jedi Knight that has proven himself resourceful, extremely knowledgeable, skilled, with a good history and standing may be promoted to the level of Jedi Master. Whilst this position brings recognition and most probably some kind of authority, it is not clear exactly how much political and Force power a typical Master wields, or the criteria to be one. Masters are the best candidates for teachers to Padawans.

10. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Even a knight Can still learn from a master. It could be a simple matter of a Jedi like Jacen or Jaina going to a master and saying.. 'hey can you teach me some stuff'

For example, if you look at it like martial arts. A black belt has reached a level where they can go it alone. However they still may want to seek out a master and spend time training under them to learn more. Even thought the person has reached the level of black belt they would still be called a student or apprentice to the master.

11. JediJSolo

Jun 11, 2001
    Stage Four - A Jedi Knight that has proven himself resourceful, extremely knowledgeable, skilled, with a good history and standing may be promoted to the level of Jedi Master.

I disagree. I can?t remember any evidence to suggest that a Jedi becomes a master due to the opinion of other Jedi (although, I could be wrong). The title of Jedi Master is self-proclaimed. Luke proclaimed himself to be a Jedi Master, and in TTT Luke found evidence to suggest that the old Jedi would proclaim themselves to be masters when they thought they were ready for the title. It would be very natural for Luke to set up his new Jedi order in the way that he believed the old Jedi did things, and the way he did things.

12. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    Luke thought it was odd that C'Boath declared himself a Master, and i was under the impression that he took the title with the consent of the survivors of his DE band (note that Mara was not in this group). This was just my stab at explaining the Master process, as i really have no clue how it's done, but i do suspect that the opinion of at least the other Masters is a factor. If there was no consent from the rest of the Jedi, then just any Jedi could declare themselves Masters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.