main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Youngling Slaughter - What's your opinion now that you've seen it?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Saurion-Fett, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vader-Licious

Vader-Licious Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    Frankly, it was a letdown. This was supposed to be the big, bad PG-13 scene wherein the film takes a turn to darkness. This was part of the set-up of Annikin's metamorphosis to the dark side. I recall warnings about this scene being sooooo graphic that anyone under the age of 18 may have nightmares. NOTHING was shown! Lucas apparently didn't have the nerve to follow the character arc through to the ultimate evil. I expected that at the very least we would have an aftermath scene with dismembered children's bodies, but rather we're supposed to believe (based upon the only aftermath scene) that Annakin took the time to run each one of them through with his lightsaber? Did they all line up to be run through in the torso instead of running? Seems to me that some mayhem would have been required.

2. Sledge

Sledge Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2004
    Vader-Licious.. Wow just....wow. Who, besides fans on message boards, said the younglings slaughter was going to be a graphic gore fest?? High expectations are a b**ch.

3. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    "The Youngling Slaughter - What's your opinion now that you've seen it?"

Uh, seen what? we never saw a slaughter. But that makes sense and is good we did not, IMO.

I would MUCH rather have had Anakin just going berserk in the temple and crushing Jedi than the youngling slaughter.

The other thing I thought was weak is that they call them "younglings". It hit me, in the scene when anakin and Padme are on Mustafar arguing, and Padme says "They say you killed younglings." I thought "Man, why didn'
    t they just say CHILDREN!" What's this "younglings" crap? They're children!

4. sithlord85

sithlord85 Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    Well I liked it, just a bit disapointed that there was not alot of footage of anakin carring out his task on the younglings. But happy that George put it in.

5. Vader-Licious

Vader-Licious Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2005
    Sledge:

I tried to keep myself fresh, and so intentionally avoided fan discussions before seeing the film. I did however listen to the radio as I usually do, and heard many film reviewers and radio talk show hosts talking about the unsuitablity of the film for children, speaking specifically of a scene where children are killed graphically and grusomely.

6. Darth_Zand

Darth_Zand Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    My opinon is that not enough was shown. The lightsaber ingnited from the angle of the childs face was tight, but common george come through on the DVD version.

7. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    The fact that people want to visually witness the children being murdered disturbs me...greatly [face_plain]

8. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    Same here. Some people on this board are completely sick, and probably as twisted as the Vader they want to see slaughtering children.

That's where I definitely draw the line, no matter what anyone here says.

9. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    I didn't want to see the Younglings slaughtered, I just wanted to see Darth Vader and his army of Clone Troopers 0wn some Jedi Knights and Masters in the Jedi Temple, but hell, we didn't even get to witness that.

10. Darth_Zand

May 29, 2005
    It;s not about the kids getting slaughtered it's about being true to the story of Anakin Skywalker. I have waited all my life for this and I wanted way more detail in the temple, and some footage of the raw evil of Anakin. The hologram dosnt cut it for me

11. obianikdart

obianikdart Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    not only was their no slaughter of the younglns but no sluahgter of the jedi in the temple either I mean comman , it was literally a race to the finish line For GL , It felt to rushed up , It felt like ok this is the final movie lets make it as fast as possible ,ARGH

12. Darth_Zand

May 29, 2005
    I agree.. The temple could have been so amazing if it was longer. I would have traded grevious for Temple scene

13. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004
    I nearly threw up in the theater.....

14. Unkar's Muffins

Dec 4, 2002
    "The hologram dosnt cut it for me"

Even worse, the hologram scene was cut down in length. There was originally a very up close and clear video showing Cin Drallig fighting Vader, and that was not shown at all.

I think George did a rather poor job on the whole temple bit, but mucked it up even worse by not at least showing some measure of rage and defiance in Anakin through the hologram video. The whole purpose of the video was to show that it was indeed Anakin doing all this. But...2 seconds of the back of Cin Drallig's head, and one saber clash.

Pretty bunk.

15. obianikdart

obianikdart Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Man just thinking of it angers me , more than dissapoints me , I mean you have all these millions of dollars but still you cant make one simple scene right

WHy dont you show anakin and the troopers battle against the jedi in the temple ,and then show that scene with the
    younglins , Dont leave us hanging with nothing .NOTHING

and now I hear that the hologram of him fighting CIn Dralig Was CUT
    what the hell??!! Are you NUTS !

Poorly done ,very poorly done

16. Vaderdj420

Vaderdj420 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2005
    After reading the book i really expected to see why there was a PG-13 rating... but it was tastefully done, i would have like to see him take on a few of the masters.... but oh well, still awesome

17. QCPsychoJedi

QCPsychoJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2002
    I'm sorry but what friggin youngling slaughter?

All I saw was a lightsaber light up after a kid who can't act said "what are we going to do?"

And then several scenes later Yoda is picking through some corpses. There was no slaughter. The hint was well taken but the only part of the youngling slaughter on film is the security holo and even that was short and limited.

gimme a break. I wanna see some limbs people.

18. yajrennat

yajrennat Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    That youngling should get a grammy just for that!!! He played it perfect...George Lucas did it well...

19. Darth_Zand

May 29, 2005
    I would have been happier if the movie was rated R. I mean common guys, we are all die hard fans here. We all know how much we love Anakin and how happy we were to see this in general. But lets keep it real here. We wanted to see RAGE. DESTRUCTION. ANGER. HATE. UNEDITED. All our star wars careers came down to this movie and I feel we were cheated out of the temple scene. A hologram. Imagine seeing 10 Jedis trying to take on anakin like a Neo against 100 smiths. Imagine Anakin just going nuts killing everyone. MAN ol Man I really hope George comes through on the DVD version.

20. QCPsychoJedi

Aug 10, 2002
    He won't put anything all that spectacular on the DVD, he would have had it for the theatrical release.

And A Grammy? Why? Did the kid break into song and I just missed that part? A grammy is an award for music. Now had you said oscar, that would have been correct, or golden globe, or peoples choice or anything but grammy.

GL still chose a kid with a corny accent who looked like he was reading his line straight off a cue card held up by his mommy.

21. Lonestar9

Lonestar9 Jedi Master

May 5, 2004
    It's amazing to hear the responses to this scene, from people crying, to people wanting all out violence.
    I think it was done pretty well, it was sad to see him light that saber, and we knew what was to occur.
    It would have been ok to see more with the hologram, that's just IMHO.
    The worse to me was not seeing him kill some older jedi's first, maybe to give him some rage/build up to what he did...eh...oh well, what's done is done!!

22. SueB

SueB Jedi Master star 1

Jun 20, 2002
    I was fine with it, except that I really didn't like the kid they picked to read the line. Sorry, but I thought he was just awful. It seemed to me he was chosen for his chubby-cheeked cuteness rather than any acting ability. I know it's not fair to expect someone so young to be able to act, but then, why not make the child slightly older so you can use an actor who doesn't sound as if he's just reading a line of dialogue off a card (as someone said)?

And I'll admit that 'younglings' is a cutesy-poo term I don't like either, but I guess they had to create a word to distinguish Force-sensitive children training to be Jedi from children who have no such abilities.

23. bishop_2005

bishop_2005 Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2005
    when he switched on his lightsaber, all i could think of was "nooo.... he's not gonna do it..." it's good that they didn't show it. the scene would've offended a lot of people.

24. QCPsychoJedi

Aug 10, 2002
    Yeah but that's exactly the kind of controversy that would be a positive thing all the way around. It may inspire debates but it would have been helpful to the film and put a little more behind the legend that's been built up to how dark the film is supposed to be.

25. darthtegan465

darthtegan465 Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    It was incredibaly disturbing being a kid. how could he be so heartless. But I agree the kid trying to escape was an absolute hero.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.