main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THEATRES OF WAR Star Wars Saga Play by Post

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Katana_Geldar, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Awesome, cause I'm going out of town today and won't be back until Sunday evening. Will think on the backstory though. Can't wait!

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Flying out today, so either tonight or tomorrow I'll do a post about gameplay, sort of like my usual pre-game growl. Then, by the weekend I should have the openning post to get the game rolling. And that's going to happen if you guys are ready or not. *whipcrack*

3. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Huzzah!

4. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Okay, here are the promised few lines about gameplay.

Even though some of the "go around the table" rules like rolling for initative have been forgone, I will occassionally ask for a quick description of what players are doing in order to "set the scene".

Also, I am not going to hold your hands all the way through. You guys are an independent rebel cell so you should (theoretically) be able to function...independently. I'll present you with the problem, tools and information and then expect you to surprise me. And I do give out additional XP for good plans.

Please let everyone know in the thread beforehand if you are likely to be away, if it's for an extended period I can roll for you and post it here, nice and fair. BTW, you need to represent blaster payload in your post, a row of ***** ***** will do, no freebies there.

Could I have one of the mods of the thread update the first post with the character sheets? :D

The game will start Sunday, that would be Saturday for most people above the equator. I work on Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time.

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I'm just wondering how descriptive I need to be with the backstory. I have an outline, and can fill in details, I just need to know how much.

6. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I made a comment on backstory in the opening post, but I am after quality over quantity.

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Update it with everyone's sheets?

8. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Well, everyone who HAS submitted a sheet. *looks around the table at the guilty people who haven't*

9. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I know I said that I would start tonight, but few things have come up and I'll have to start this tomorrow. More time for you guys to come up with a name for yourselves, perhaps? Or I have to have an nPC give you a rather dumb one? ;)

10. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    I vote we be the Corellian Butterflies. They are a terrifying monstrous plague that attack Corellian citizens as they try to leave several larger cities out into the wilderness on foot.

Also if I vote this, maybe other people will suggest better names.

Huzzah!

11. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Ronsayoes Roughnecks

12. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Rebel Cell block #1138.

I have absolutely no idea what you would call a rebel cell.

13. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    I can come up with some other suggestions if I knew if we'd be operating in a sector, a specific planet, or somesuchness.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I already told Katana I'm not going to make it in time. I'm having to cover for a colleague on vacation and well, these Christmas weeks have been kind of crazy. We think we've worked a way to have me join the group later, though. No worries, you're not getting rid of me. ;)

And I say we should be called The Grim Reverends.

15. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Okay, I definitely am a lot more awake than I was last night, so, I'll start the game...

[image=http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/fox-color-logo.jpg]

[image=http://www.border7.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/starwars-a_long_time_ago.jpg]

[image=http://vulcanstev.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/starwarslogo.jpg]

THEATRES OF WAR

It is a dark time for the Rebellion.
    Several star systems have defected to the Alliance's cause,
    butthe Empire's sinister agents are hunting down
    those who seek to sway those who would join the Alliance.

Though the Death Star has been destroyed,
    the Rebellion is scattered and various cells
    are struggling to survive, while others outside
    the Rebellion seek merely to pursue their own ends.

In order to persuade the star system Cerulea
    to join their cause, Princess Leia has gathered
    a small group of freedom fighters on the remote
    Rebel base of Navoius VIII...

[image=http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/193/4/1/Asteroid_Field_by_Caspau.jpg]

EmpireForever, Aragorn

In deep space somewhere in the Outer Rim, a large asteroid sits among smaller ones with the pale blue of the Crombach Nebula in the distance. Emerging from hyperspace just at the edge of the field is a YKL-37R Nova Courier, following a precarious course through the asteroids as it makes its way to the large one.
    In the cockpit is a female Zabrak in the pilots seat and beside her a rather dark Wookiee.

Zabrak: Steady now, Chulimrarl, we want to get our passengers back there to the base in one piece.
    Chulimrarl: *growl hrrrallll harrrrrr*
    Zabrak: I know these drift charts look dangerous, but trust me and maintain our course. I?ll let them know down there so they can get out the welcoming committee. (She activates the ship?s communicator) This is Taborea Vantell, captain of the Spectres Dawn hailing Navoius VIII, Manarai Echo Lyra. Request landing, two packages for expected delivery.

Back in the small passenger compartment of the ship, Tua Malik and Marcus Webber are strapped securely in their seats. The ship is jarring about in a rather alarming way on its progress through the asteroid field. It?s been relatively recently that you joined the Rebel Alliance, and you were told that you would be needed for an unspecified mission and sent to this forsaken part of the galaxy with only the promise of an explanation when you arrived. There have been a few delays as the ship had to skirt around a few Imperial convoys, and you are arriving later than expected.

[b]Dajuan, Koohi[/b]

[color=black]In a hanger bay on Navoius VIII, [i]Kemp?s Ridley[/i] sits in one of the few spaces on this asteroid that is large enough to accommodate her. Her crew have been here longer than expected, having received orders to travel here to meet the new members of the group and the briefing of the new mission which you know very little about.[/color]

[hr]

(This is usually the part where I ask what are you doing, there's also a bit of information that the group on base knows as you have been here a few days.)
    [i]Navoius VIII is an asteroid in the middle of the an asteroid field in the Tormel sector, Imperial patrols scout its perimeter but assume no one would be foolhardy to go in as the field is constantly under the gravitational influence of the Cromach Nebula. As a result of this, up to date charts are needed for pilots to pass through to the Rebel base, but even with these a good pilot is needed.
    Yet despite it's remoteness, Navoius VIII does get rather busy at time with pilots on their way through, small units using it as a rendezvous point as well as it being a very good hiding place for those on the run from the Empire.
    Little more than the proverbial ?rock to land on? there are a few facilities such as a commissary, some supplies and sparse accommodation as well as places to get equipment, fuel and much needed maintenance.
    In charge is Commander Seru Ardanna and t

16. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Marcus pulled at the safety straps around him and groaned.

"I wish I could be in the cockpit for this," he explained. "I learned to fly at the Academy. Anything's better than being strapped in for a turbulent ride and not being able to do anything about it." He turned to face the Kel Dor, as much as the seat would allow. "So, any idea what this mission could involve?"

((other bit with the knowledge roll redacted. thought I might not know a huge amount since they just told us to head out there for a mission.))

17. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    (You;re in on that knowledge that I mentioned above for the other players Aragorn)

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Hirry is taking a break from his usual "training pacifists and idealists which end of the blaster to be worried about" and his second favorite past-time of "'don't let me shoot you' training" to meet the new recruits for his group.
    Everyone already present gets the usual signal of "expect trouble" while they wait for the freightor to land.

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    ((Updated the first post finally, with the character sheets I could find. I can't think of a cute name, any suggestions would be awesome.))

Sits in the cockpit, the place where she feels most at home. She idly flips through star-charts, tapping her fingers on the console while she wonders where this next mission will take the crew. She also wonders about this next batch joining her crew.

*tap tap tap* to noone: I really hate this sitting around and waiting business. Sigh.

20. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    "It could involve a number of things, Doctor." Tua shifted in his seat as the ship rocked about. "Knowing what it is hardly changes anything at this point."

21. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    "Point," Webber sardonically conceded with a twitch of his lip. Immediately after he'd said it, he mentally cursed himself for slipping into a Zahnic dialect.

He then settled in for the landing.

22. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    (Should there be a special punishment for people who delve into Zahnism? Perhaps akin to people who dare to quote Monty Python [face_devil])

Aragorn, EmpireForever

The Spectres Dawn shudders constantly as it makes its way into land, jolting violently and sending you against your restraints. As you feel the ship slowing down there's the sound of something scraping against the hull, as well as small taps that fade away as if there are small pieces breaking off. From the small viewports where you are sitting, you can just see the large asteroid come into view again before disolving into white as the ship enters a tunnel lined with ice. Again and again, the ship jolts as it goes through chunks of ice that stick to the walls.
    Then the ship slows down completely and you hear the engines slowly power down. Taborea emerges from the cockpit.
    "Well, this is Navoius VIII," she says, "one of those odd ends of the galaxy the Rebellions decided to go home. But it's getting out of here that's the trick, the ice can settle on the hull." She presses a few controls on the wall and the hatch opens. Chulimrarl steps out and says something in a low growl to Taborea. "Yes, we better get unloaded, they've been waiting for us, after all." She walks past you to the cargo hold with the Wookiee close behind her.

Koohi

Quite a few ships pass through Navoius VIII, but the arrival of the cargo ship is an event. Most of the dozen or so people necessary to keep the base running are there with you, dressed rather warmly as the heaters are malfunctioning again. Among those gathered is Commander Ardanna and Lieutenant Vriki, the latter supervising the unloading of supplies.
    "I hope their lateness doesn't mean there's bad news," she says, ""I know you want to get going on your mission but I am still trying to get a hold of Alliance command for your briefing. Maybe we'll have a bit more luck later, come and see me then."

Dajuan

You're on your ship still and are unaware of anything else that is going on unless you decide to move.

23. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Hirry starts tapping his foot, trying to look bored and impatient. It's a trick he learned in basic survival as a way to keep warm while standing still and providing a stoic appearance.
    He snaps to attention when the commander approaches.
    "Sir. I'll have everyone ready for the briefing for you, Sir.
    Hirry salutes the officer at the end of the conversation and starts tapping his other foot while waiting for the new arrivals to get off their backsides and out of the ship.
    What do they think this is, StarTours?

(by the way, may I suggest switching to darker colors? Or perhaps highlighting them as well? Some of the lighter ones don't show up well against the background color.)

24. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    (Suggestion noticed, maybe I'll highlight mine in future and your can be regular colours. But Commander Ardanna is female!)

25. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    "Yes, we better get unloaded, they've been waiting for us, after all," the pilot said. As she and her co-pilot headed back to the cargo hold, Marcus undid his safety restraints and stood up to stretch.

"Guess we'd better not keep them waiting," he muttered. He unstrapped the duffel bag next to him and stared at it for a moment. So few possessions...maybe if he ever got to return home he--no. No time to think about that. He quickly unzipped the bag, grabbed the heavy coat he'd packed on top and sealed the bag up again.

Coat on, bag over shoulder, ready to go. "I'll see you out there in a second, Tua!" He called back over his shoulder, and made his way towards the boarding ramp. He set a quick pace out to attempt to ignore the cold and made his way down the ramp towards the group waiting outside.

"Dr. Marcus Webber, reporting to Navoius VIII for assignment."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.