THEATRES OF WAR Star Wars Saga Play by Post

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Katana_Geldar, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    (No roll needed, it only means that your character will not know what is going on outside and the rest of the party will have to tell you what is happening and what is needed. Like, they want the ship to go faster, or something.
    Once you have your seats in the upright position, your tray table stowed and your hand luggage under the seat in front of you, we can be off...once you ask for clearance and the asteroid drift charts which were sent to you on the way in but you need the latest. Yes, I stole this from KOTOR II, but it makes sense!)
  2. EmpireForever Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    (I never played KotOR II so it's news to me)
  3. Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Alright, let's show this asteroid our ass! Punches the buttons to lift off.
  4. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Kemps Ridley, this is Navoius control. You have clearance to leave, sending you the asteroid drift codes now. There's a pause as the transmisison is sent and the flickering on the opening to the asteroid field stops. The magnetic shield is down, you're free to go Kemps Ridley. Clear skies.

(Okay, here are the details of a skill challenge, I don't want to have to explain this again.
    Skill challenges are run a little like encounters, everyone gets one turn per round, the standard action, swift action and if you want to, move action as per combat rules. Then I wikll come in to end the round and we go around again. Most skill checks are standard actions, some more complex ones (like all-out-movement) are full round. I will consider peripheral skill checks (Knowledge, Perception) swift actions which means you still have your standard. There is no set order, and you can even wait until someone else goes to have your turn. At the end of the round, I'll come in but I'll probably do that before that if I can get in on time.
    As I said before, Pilot, Mechanics and some Use Computer are important, but not necessary. A lot of the actions needed to pass this are found on pages 170-173, they'll give you a few ideas if you're stuck but they are not meant to be limiting.

A few points to remember:
    * Pilot checks are needed for things potentially hazardous, you will not need them before entering the asteroid field or after you leave.
    * The drift charts give a +2 bonus to any Pilot checks, including co-pilot Aid Anothers.
    * Luigi's character is at the back of the ship and will have to be told what is going on in the front and maybe even what he has to do.
    * There are a set number of rounds for this, I'm not letting on how many there are but you can reduce them if you increase speed. Increasing speed however, gives Unfavourable Circumstances and cancels out the +2 Pilot check bonus.
    * Once I announce you're out, you'll need to high tail it into hyperspace as Imperials occassionally scout the perimeter of this place. And I'm not going to GM you into there.

Now let's have some fun and hopefully we can make this nice and snappy!)

The Kemps Ridley is hovering above the floor of the hangar and is at the door that opens into the asteroid field.
  5. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Marcus flicked the comm on. "Tua, Hangar Control's cleared us. Are you set back there?".

Aid Another Check for helping Daj pilot: Total of 13, Daj gets +2 from me.
  6. Koohii Jedi Master

star 5
    Working from the system's board, Hirry tries to do something useful--plot the jump, use the shields to bounce rocks, whatever.

20!!! Plus whatever I should add to that.
  7. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You are all leeching the 20s from me...I keep getting 3s :(
  8. EmpireForever Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    "All set back here, Doctor."
  9. Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Pilot check: 1d20=2 +16 (my bonus) +2 (from Arrie) = 20
  10. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    (Are we playing Yahtzee here? I just see a few people rolling dice and not telling me what their characters are doing, apart from Koohi who did something slightly useful with his 20.
    You guys are still in the hangar, but for the sake of argument I'll assume that the Pilot checks are to leave the hangar and enter the asteroid field. But no free rides again, tell me what your character is doing, don't just roll.)

The shields come on just as the Kemps Ridley leaves the hangar of Navoius VII, beginning to wend it's way through the asteroid field.

Here is the ship's statblock again

End of the first round
  11. Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    (Sorry, RPGs still confuse me. I'm still a newbie to all this. Only played a few sessions in real life and this one here.)

Daj starts navigating through the asteroid field to get to a place where the Kemp can make her jump.
  12. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "Sergeant Grunt, are you plotting the jump or focusing on shields? I assume we're not jumping directly to Imperial Center... Where're we headed?" Webber asked the team leader.
  13. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    (The pages I quoted in the book show which actions require rolls and which don't. Moving the ship out of the hanger doesn't, but going through an asteroid field does. Likewise turning on the shield does not need a roll but recharging it does.
    This is round two, and I'll need a Pilot check from Dajuan. You need a roll and what you are doing.
  14. Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Daj wants to navigate through the asteroid field to get to where she can jump the ship. Roll: 1d20=20 Woo hoo!
  15. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    The chart gives you a path through the asteroids where none of them seem to touch you as you pass them, but the edge where you can safely jump into hyperspace is still some fair distance away

(Just letting you know guys, you don't have to act on your turn on a skill challenge, particularly if Daj rolls really really well.)
  16. Koohii Jedi Master

star 5
    "I'm working the shields. Standard procedure for my missions is always to make 3 short jumps to empty space to avoid tracebacks in case of discovery, but this time we're at the whims and mercy of whoever planned this mission and the time pressure of having to work quickly."
  17. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    (About jumping, that's up to you guys just give me some indication where you are jumping to so I can come in with the numbers for the roll)
  18. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Webber thinks back to his journey to the station to estimate how long it took from the jump, through the field and into the hangar.

I'm assuming this is over/about a minute. If so, I will spend the next ten rounds plotting a randomized short hop to deep space.

If this will be shorter than 10 rounds, I'll probably wait a round or two before starting on the penalized check.
  19. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    (You will not be able to jump anywhere until you are out of the asteroid field. I'll give it until later tonight, as I know you guys have the funny little thing you call the Superbowl over there. It's on TV here now.)
  20. Koohii Jedi Master

star 5
    <rude comment I can't say here> the superbowl.
    Sgt Grunt is going to try to keep the shields at optimum positioning. Just let me know when you want me to make rolls.
  21. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    You are still in the asteroid field, though you can see the rocks starting to thin as you approach the edge.

(Not out yet, guys, end of the round. And if anyone is wondering why this is rather boring, it's because Daj is rolling really well ;))
  22. Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    (Sorry? :p Do I need to roll to finish getting out of the field?)

Are one of you working on our jump coordinates? I'd like to jump as soon as we're clear of the field.
  23. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    (Yes, just one more roll and you're out.)
  24. Koohii Jedi Master

star 5
    "No, I thought I'd keep the shields between us and the rocks out there. Get us clear, and we'll be able to plot a jump in peace if it isn't already in the system for us."
    Is the jump plotted for us, or do we have to do that? Do we have time for the 3 random jumps that Hirry prefers?
  25. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    (As I said above, the random jumps thing is up to you. Bear in mind that entering hyperspace means you use an entire day's worth of fuel in one go)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.