main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Theatrical Film - "The Clone Wars" - Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Apr 11, 2011.

?

Grade the Theatrical Film - "The Clone Wars"

1. 10

4.9%
  2. 9

2.4%
  3. 8

22.0%
  4. 7

19.5%
  5. 6

22.0%
  6. 5

11.0%
  7. 4

3.7%
  8. 3

6.1%
  9. 2

3.7%
  10. 1

4.9%
  1. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    This movie really didn't work as a movie, that was it's main problem. Unlike Umbara or some other arcs that would work as a film, it was very obvious where the episodes would have broken down and that was a great disservice. If the film had just focused on the Battle of Christophsis for example it would have worked better (the portions from the film + The Hidden Enemy + Cat and Mouse)...in chronological order, of course.

I'll double check the timings. :)

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Memories? I have better memories of the Holiday Special than this. Still, I'll probably be around Wednesday.

3. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I just noticed the painting on the side of the gunship in a brief shot from the movie.
    Is that a Twi'lek in clone armor on the side of the ship?
    [​IMG]

The Shadow Emperor and Seerow like this.
  4. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    I actually think I'm like the only one who actually liked this movie :p

Jabba's son nonsense with Ahsoka made the movie more lame,

BUT, that epic battle at the beginning with the excellent camera shots of the clones running up and around getting gunned down was like... awesome. Made me like it. If it didn't have the epic battle at the beginning IMO, the movie would have been pretty... LAME....

Also that ending scene at Jabba's palace was just dumb

"Lets stand around for the camera looking like heroes saying nothing everyone! DERP HERPITY DERP DERP DERP"

Seerow likes this.
  5. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I actually did like the beginning battles. The Jabba stuff though... [face_sick]

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    It definately looks like a Twi'lek chick in boobilicious clone armor. Interesting facial expression...

7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That painting reminds me off this.
    [​IMG]

The Shadow Emperor and Seerow like this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The look on the Twi'lek's face is so inappropriate :p

9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    ROFL! Ya know, give the guy some estrogen pills and he could fit. xD ...x.x;

10. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I haven't seen this, though I've read the novelisation.

Female troopers aren't new to SW by any means.

[​IMG]

In the Clone Wars era, they'd be close to non-existent for obvious reasons, but I could envision a female Jedi who wears trooper armour like Obi-Wan did at the Battle of Muunilist.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I bring you, Bultar Swan:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  12. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    That armour in the top panel looks like a good robes/plate combination, much like the suits worn by Anakin and Obi-Wan up to the middle of S3 (and which I hope get returned to at some point). Like those two, Mace Windu wore a similar set in the microseries.

However, it can't compare to the spectacle of a Jedi Knight In Shining Armour engaging in a chivalric joust with his opponent:

[​IMG]

In general, I'm keen on seeing more Jedi in armour in TCW.

And that's tangentially linked to the topic of the movie... 'cause the movie shows Anakin and Obi-Wan in their light armour, eh?

Togruta likes this.
  13. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It's certainly more practical than fighting around in robes.

14. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    It had some great action scenes but the plot was too weak to drive a movie, and in the end I couldn’t really bring myself to care who would end up in Jabba’s good graces – which is the main problem I think: the challenge/threat our heroes have to overcome was just not significant enough to keep my interest.

I think they should have used the “new fearsome biological weapon”-plot that was so horribly misused/wasted in “Blue Shadow Virus” and “Mystery of a Thousand Moons”, for the movie instead. Such plot (if handled properly) could have given the movie the suspense I find that it sorely lacks.

Concerning the Umbara arc as a movie, I would say it might work as a subplot, but as the main plot I think most people who are not avid clone-fans would quickly lose interest. The arc would need to be expanded to include more characters and different settings, and the main plot should have an impact on more than a battalion of clones - at least IMHO.

15. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Wasn't a big fan of the movie - that's actually what prevented me from getting into the series until Season 3. Far be it from me to second-guess Dave Filoni, but if I was going to take any of the early first-season arcs to turn it into a movie, I would have gone with the Malevolence arc. Ahsoka wasn't a strong enough character yet to carry the movie, and Ziro was very much an acquired taste that hadn't been "acquired" enough yet to be such a central character in it.

16. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Before this, Star Wars to me was the six films, and the two games, Tie Fighter and Jedi Knight. I didn't care about anything else, nor did I have any particular interest in exploring it. I think what initially drew me to it is I was looking for some new cartoon series to get into, and I think it was gutsy to premiere it in theaters. After I saw the preview clip for the cliff battle I thought I had to go see it at least for that, and Ahsoka looked like an interesting character too.

Was kind of thrown at first by the lack of John Williams opening score and the lack of a text crawl, but once the movie jumped right into combat, I let that pass. Was it a perfect film? No, not in the slightest, and I agree with most who said it should have stuck with TV instead of being shown in theaters. Still, it was interesting enough to make me eager to see the series itself when it premiered. The series had a lot of promise for me and I wound up really enjoying it.

AkashKedavra_93 and rumblewagon like this.
  17. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Ahsoka wasn't suppose to "carry" the movie any more than Princess Leia was intended to "carry" A New Hope. There is a central cast of characters and Ahsoka was part of that central cast. Also, I wouldn't consider Ziro to be a central character. He and Padme sort of had a subplot that was tossed into the overall plot.

AkashKedavra_93 and Seerow like this.
  18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Actually she did had to carry ANH just like the other two main characters. Her role was fairly important to the storyline.

19. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    My point was that a central cast of characters carried the movies as opposed to a single character carrying the movies.

20. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Right but each individual character should have an important role in a film or "4 episodes shoved together to make a movie." You can't have a group of main characters and call it a day. Each should have some role, as well as contributing to the storyline, or else they're just pointless filler.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't think Padme did anything important in the TCW movie however I agree that Ahsoka has a central role in the story. She is pretty much the deuteragonist to the protagonist Anakin. Ahsoka is pretty much meant to be a foil who closely mirrors Anakin which gives both some development in the movie. Ahsoka also saves some lives (This is Ahsoka we are talking about) and is very much responsible for getting Rotta home safely. She is the one who keeps Anakin focused on the mission. Oh man, makes me think of that babysitter thing I said in the other thread. Sorry anakinfan.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Cody didn't really have a big role in this move and neither did Rex

23. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    "Why, you tin-plated traitor!" I don't know why I love that line so much!

First, let me say, I'm really happy we're talking about the movie. Long overdue.
    Do you remember the Obi/Ventress duel? I used to be so impressed! Now I see its flaws: bad lightning (sometimes Obi-Wan's face looks dirty), once in a while the camera moves suddenly and I get whiplash, and their bodies don't move as smoothly as they should - are they robots?
    It has some great moments, eh? The first story, The New Padawan, was particularly well-animated. In the theater, the painted skies distracted me. So beautiful.
    This is the reason I think the movie should be returned to its 4 individual eps, and stick it with the rest of the show. A bonus to that would be editing: the movie is more than 88 mins, so they could trim it in just the right places and it'd be pretty good.
    I was just thinking about arguing with you, but an idea popped into my head about Padme. And its better. What if Padme decided to talk to Ziro a little earlier, like maybe the beginning of the movie, and she was just stuck in a prison cell at Ziro's for the entire movie? How great would that be?

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    It might have worked better had Padme played a larger role from the start. As it is her sudden intro into the movie feels (Tarkas is totally going to kill me for saying this. I swore to him I'd never use this word) shoehorned. x.x;

I think the movie is fine left intacted. Its not the first time I've seen four or five seperate parts put together into a movie and its not the worst example I have either. I'm not sure how much of a different it would have made to me watching it first since I do have a high tolerance for lameness and its not the lamest thing in all of TCW either. I do tend to start folks I recommend TCW to with Ambush and recommend they watch the movie last none the less.

Rex actually gets well introduced in the movie, IMO. The movie does set up his independent streak, his intellegence, and his ability to lead. There is immediately more to Rex than just being a badass dude in armor. Its worth seeing the movie just to see his introduction in retrospect to where Rex is now in his story arc.

25. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    That would have been brilliant!
    And the movie could have kept cutting back to Ziro and Padme arguing with each other.
    "You won't get away with this, Ziro! I am a Senator!"
    "Oh, but I will, honey-pie!"

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.