main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Theatrical Film - "The Clone Wars" - Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Apr 11, 2011.

?

Grade the Theatrical Film - "The Clone Wars"

1. 10

4.9%
  2. 9

2.4%
  3. 8

22.0%
  4. 7

19.5%
  5. 6

22.0%
  6. 5

11.0%
  7. 4

3.7%
  8. 3

6.1%
  9. 2

3.7%
  10. 1

4.9%
  1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Not with 'a mod' who's trying to troll others.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Well, had fun in the chat guys. Will to it again for the 2nd viewing party time which is again at 10:45pm EST this Friday. There is a 10 minutes grace period. Folks not watching are welcome to just join in and chat.

3. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks. :p

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had a good time. Seerow, we should do this for some season 1-3 shows as well.

5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think that was a great run. I've added an always open Disco Chat. Folks can go in there and chat. I think it would also be cool to do live discussions on new episodes (not so much live viewings) and monthly viewing parties for episodes would be fun. Some of the arcs could serve as movies. I'm going to place the link to the chat in my profile.

6. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Ahsoka chat 24/7

CT-867-5309 and Coric like this.
  7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    He called you out on what seemed to be you disingeneously saying you saw the film in the theatre. Is that trolling?

8. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Misinterpreting words rather poorly, as well as quoting not only my posts but others (ironically the ones that are deemed "haters") for no apparent reason. Yeah... that really looks genuine and well intentioned Garth.

9. quigonobi3

quigonobi3 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 5, 2012
    do all of you chat on US time or would someone from the UK be welcome ? I d o try to keep up with everybody but its a bit akward due to the time differences i cant post when all of you are on the board but i hope everybody likes my contributions[:D]

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    This is a 6/10 for me. I like the first 1/4 quite a bit, especially how big the scope of the battle feels and I love the design of Christophsis, but the last 3/4 starts out okay but just drags and drags. From the moment they recover Jabba's son, it's a severe downward slope, and I'm really not a fan of Padme's adventure by herself. And I really hate Ziro. It always makes me better able to tolerate Ahsoka seeing how dreadfully annoying she used to be. Thanks be to Crom they dropped all the nicknames so quickly when the series started.

Seerow likes this.
  11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That's 5 hours ahead of me isn't it? I think 10:45pm EST is 3:45am in London. My own schedule is a bit whack since I still don't exactly work 9-5pm and I'm doing this around my work schedule. I guess I could schedule another showing on Saturday or Sunday to try make a viewing party more accessible to members outside the U.S. if there is enough interest. Something like 3pm EST / 7:00pm in London. That should give some hours to play with for other time zones.

quigonobi3 likes this.
  12. quigonobi3

Mar 5, 2012
    That sounds good to me,it also means that i can comment on all the latest episodes as i follow the episodes at US pace,also during the week its very difficult as i have to be up for work at 5.20am i am able to chat this late at the moment as i am off sick from work but late night chat on Saturdays is fine,BTW Seerow dont you think its a bit naff that we have to wait til the 5th January for the next episode it would have been absolutly fab to have had episodes over Chiristmas after all Star Wars & Christmas do go together dont you think ?

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    WALL OF TEXT INCOMMMMMMINGGG!

I freakin love the TCW movie, it reminds me of ANH. They get the exposition out of the way ASAP. They don't tell you any more than you need to know at any time, they tell you just enough to keep the plot going forward, to get to the next action sequence (which are a lot of fun).

• I noticed Dooku, Grievous, Gunray and Tambor standing together on the bridge of some ship in the narration. Why did this "team work" get abandoned?
    • The battle droids are used in massive numbers, on a scale we usually don't get to see in the show.
    • Loved the Octuparra magna tri-droid. Loved the thump of its cannons.
    • Clone punches droid, clone hurts hand. They should have stuck with stuff like this.
    • When the last Octuparra fell, it made a sound I remember hearing in the Indiana Jones movies. Good use of Skywalker Sound.
    • If TCW is ANH, then Ahsoka is Luke. She's all excitable and eager, she's faster and more intense.
    • Noticed Loathsome stays relatively close the front and tries to lead his droids personally. He looks a bit silly, but I like him.
    • Imo the clones were used perfectly, just how they should be. Wished they used them the same way throughout the series.
    • The battle droids were very well, some stupidity/humor notwithstanding.
    • Kenobi is at his heroic best on Christophsis.
    • Nice shot of an Acclamator as it drops in on Tatooine, with a nice engine close up.
    • lol at Jawas trying to get at Kenobi's starfighter as soon as he walks away. Ditto with them trying to scavenge the Twilight later.
    • Skyguy/Snips/Artooie is just terrible, one of the few glaring flaws in the movie, but I'm getting pretty good at ignoring them.
    • There was some very cool 90s cartoon style action music while they were climbing the cliff face. Eeewww at the clone who gets a look straight up Ahsoka's skirt when she's standing on the AT-TE.
    • smh at Ahsoka igniting her lightsaber and shoving it in that custodian droid's face for calling her a servant girl. How is this at all acceptable for a Jedi? If Anakin (or just about anyone else) did this, we'd all know it was the dark side.
    • Nice idea having Dooku wear a Jedi cloak.
    • Ahsoka consistently being the voice of wisdom gets absurd and annoying after the 100th time it happens. It's like Ahsoka has read the script and knows what's going to happen and it just gets sickening after a while, especially when they have Anakin talking about obeying his mandate, as if he'd care.
    • I admit it's terrible "fan service", but I like Ventress' twisty double saber.
    • WHERE IS SKYWALKER? I love it.
    • They did a great job showing Anakin's compassion for the clones.
    • Ventress just slaps Ahsoka aside, as she should at this point.
    • lol at clone "I can't shake him". He's just flying straight. Try turning, instead of using the Han maneuver.
    • The Twilight is awesome, I wish they had kept it.
    • B2 grabbing clone, blasting and tossing him aside was awesome. Very brutal and ruthless.
    • Dooku implies killing Rotta while he's standing right in Jabba's palace. Did none of Jabba's men hear him?
    • Ventress and Kenobi square off, and Ventress does some twirling striptease. Kenobi smiles and refers to her as "my darling". Ventress fights so pissed off, it's actually kinda rare to see that kind of unbridled rage. Ventress vs Kenobi was very good, the choreography outstanding at times.
    • We see some of Skywalker's best flying.
    • Hmm, it looked like the vulture droids were shooting from the fuselage instead of the wings. Oh well.
    • Reminds me, sometimes they break up the action too much when they switch perspectives.
    • Tatooine had some cool music that sounded like something you'd hear in a Chinese epic.
    • Anakin learning to block lightning after Geonosis was a very smart move. The duel was basically a draw, but it looked like Dooku was still a little ahead of Anakin, especially with the Force.
    • In retrospect, the Magnaguards have probably never come off more competent. Ahsoka actually struggles with them and takes a few hits IIRC.
    • I'm pretty sure "Okay stick tinnies, you're going back to Dooku in pieces" is a nod to a Wolverine quote.
    • lol at Ziro's "Run for it!" as he sloooowly slithers away. I don't mind Ziro, he doesn't bother me, and I actually really liked his little hideout. It had a very first half of the 20th century gangster style to it, right down to the house band playing "Sing, Sing, Sing". It was slightly altered, but it was an obvious homage.
    • Padme seemed kinda thrown in there, but I guess they had to because she's one of the PT Big 3.
    • Bonus points for heroic pose ending.
    This movie is lots of fun with the focus entirely on adventurous action like in ANH and I'm getting better and better at ignoring Ahsoka.

I don't agree with a lot of the complaints about this movie, eg Ziro, Loathsome, the animation, so that's probably why I enjoy it more than most, despite my apparently terribly pessimistic attitude.

14. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Is that for the geeks who want to complain about their computer equipment? (And coworkers) :p

Robimus likes this.
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Little off topic here, but isn't the chat accessible to anyone at any time?

If you want to use the chat and get people involved, just drop a line in the Disco and invite people to join you, assuming it's cool with Seerow

16. quigonobi3

Mar 5, 2012
    Ok will do

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That would be fine. My offer was more for the movie viewing party.

18. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I simply quoted posters who recently repeated their original opinions. After CT pointed out that there weren't many, I offered a method for obtaining a larger sample. There was no "poor misinterpretation" because I didn't see any mention of you watching TCW-Movie on DVD, hence why I said thank you for clarifying.

No need to find anything... if I ever wanted to troll you, I'd just spam your well-intentioned favorite smiley right after quoting one of your posts and be done with it. No need to waste time with words when that green face could do all the talking for me.

;)

rumblewagon and Seerow like this.
  19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't like to admit it because ANH is my favorite SW film and I'm not crazy about this one, but I think you're right about TCW film being closer to that than any of the others. The good thing is, later episodes of the series get some of the ANH similarities right while avoiding many of TCW film's pitfalls.

20. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    No, SSS, you already did troll me (this isn't the first time). It's ok, though. Garth could always protect you. And yes, picking posts that were posted by deemed "haters" is an excellent idea...

21. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    The movie did have a sense of adventure that I liked, but it was still a dumb idea to make four episodes into a theatrical movie. And Ahsoka.. Stinky.. >__<

I gave away my DVD soon after I watched it. Not planning on buying anymore TCW DVDs again.

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Togruta The whole "Stinky" thing gets annoying for me as well. The film gets borderline campy with the banter at times IMO.

Seerow likes this.
  23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    IMO, the film has developed a really campy charm already that many of the season 1 episodes actually don't have.

24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    That's one of the reasons I feel the film is so inferior to much of the series. Coincidentally, my opinion seems to fit GL's vision for the saga going back to 1977:

Int: Some of Mark Hamill's lines are pretty corny.

GL: There is some very strong stuff in there. In the end, when you know better, it sort of takes a lot of guts to do it because it's the same thing with the whole movie -- doing a children's film. I didn't want to play it down and make it a camp movie, I wanted to make it a very good movie. And it wasn't camp, it was not making fun of itself. I wanted it to be real.

Int: Even though Harrison Ford's character, Han Solo, is right up to the edge of camp, very John Wayne-ish.

GL: He goes as far as I let anybody go.

http://starwarz.multiply.com/journa...nterview?&show_interstitial=1&u=/journal/item

Seerow and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  25. quigonobi3

Mar 5, 2012
    Love your post,i also loved the dual with Obi Wan and Ventress thought the dialogue very flirty in a slightly dangerous way.