main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Theatrical Film - "The Clone Wars" - Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Apr 11, 2011.

?

Grade the Theatrical Film - "The Clone Wars"

1. 10

4.9%
  2. 9

2.4%
  3. 8

22.0%
  4. 7

19.5%
  5. 6

22.0%
  6. 5

11.0%
  7. 4

3.7%
  8. 3

6.1%
  9. 2

3.7%
  10. 1

4.9%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Obi-Wan and Ventress flirting is one of my favorite parts of that film and the series as a whole. I thought JAT was a bit monotone in those scenes in the film but I can overlook that in light of the awesome that was their verbal foreplay with ignited lightsabers.

Paparazzo likes this.
  2. quigonobi3

quigonobi3 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 5, 2012
    she is a right minx reminds me of some of the best Bond female baddies!! I dont like the later more civil version it really doesnt suit her i hope to see the old ventress in season 5

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I doubt it

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Ok guys, opening the chat for the 2nd TCW movie viewing party. http://lacwac.com/letschatlacwac/

Remember to pick the TCW movie room. I'll allow until 11:15pm for everyone to show up. Folks not watching the movie are welcome to just hang out and chat.

5. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    And I missed it. :p

6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Had a great time both rounds, will do this again soon.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If you decide to play with that filter, I'd like a certain word that rhymes with "duck" to be replaced with "eat cookies."

8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I played with it. It replaces that word with 'Maul'. xD

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
  10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Oh Maul, no! No Mauling way bro...

11. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I thought I said it here but it was in the old episodes thread so I'll repeat it here: A movie based around Cat & Mouse, The Hidden Enemy, and the first 1/4 of TCW film would be way better as a solid Star Wars story then the film itself.

The few space battle scenes in the film got nothing on C&M in terms of pure entertainment value and evoking the feel of the OT (cheers to C&M on that), The Hidden Enemy also has superior fight scenes (compared to the last 3/4 of the film) and the environments feel much more OT, and both episodes have their own way of portraying the Skywalker/Kenobi relationship (without Ahsoka) that put together work even better.

It also makes Ahsoka's introduction less sudden, not that I think it's particularly sudden in the film as-is, but with C&M and THE first the implementation feels much more smooth to me. Also, I'm not exactly Ahsoka's biggest fan, so I must admit to being quite biased in preferring episodes with Obi-Wan and Anakin teamed up without Ahsoka over episodes that have Ahsoka with them.

The Star Wars films all exceed 2 hours IIRC and adding these two episodes to the beginning of TCW film would only make it go from four to six episodes in length, six episodes being a solid two hours, so I don't think it has to be an either/or thing, both of the prequel episodes work great right before the whole thing as well.

13. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Tarkas, that's a really good idea.

Seerow What do you think about adding those episodes to one of your TCW (2008) movie parties?

Seerow and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm thinking we could do this maybe once a month. Perhaps we'll do one in January with those three episodes.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Oh God I hated the movie. I didn't see it until after TCW had already aired (and I was surprised with how much I liked TCW), so I went in optimistic thinking that if the film were on par with episodes like the Malevolence arc or Ambush that it would still be pretty good.

I have to rate the film a 3. The only thing saving it from a 1 is that I did find it enjoyable at first and thought some of the action was entertaining. But by the end I kept looking at my watch and trying to estimate how much time was left and whether or not I needed to just turn it off and walk away. I was not blown away by the animation (it has come a long way though), the plot I thought was uninteresting, Ahsoka came out of nowhere, Ziro and Rotta made me embarrassed to think that Lucas sat around with Filoni and thought this stuff up when even AOTC (which I do not like and is my least favorite SW film) looks like a masterpiece by comparison.

If I had watched the TCW film prior to Ambush, chances are I never would have given the series a shot.

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I watched this film three times last week.And my opinion didn't really change from the first rewatch. Me and Tarkas watched it together that run.

17. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm no big fan of TCW film, but I still think it's miles ahead of Ep. II.

KenobiSkywalker and Seerow like this.
  18. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    Curious. Would you mind elaborating/contrasting for me?

19. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    And

For a start.

Are worse than Artooie and Skyguy IMO.
    :D

Dark Lord Tarkas and Seerow like this.
  20. cwustudent

Apr 25, 2011
    That's fair. I happen to think Skyguy is hilarious. Just a little scratch in his shiny prideful reputation. IMO, it got annoying when the nicknames were applied to other characters, such as R2, like you said.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  21. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The show as a whole I like much better than the first 2 prequels. As for The Clone Wars movie, the first part ("A New Padawan") I liked more than AOTC. Everything else would be about the same or worse.

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    A lot of it has to do with the spot in the timeline where they occur. I think GL took poor spots in the timeline to focus on for Ep. I and Ep. II for telling the story of Anakin as a good person who went bad. I would have much preferred for Ep. II to take place with Anakin as a Jedi Knight and on more equal footing with Obi-Wan, two things TCW film has. It shows something I can believe was the relationship Obi-Wan described in the beginning of Ep. IV, a place where I feel Ep. II falls short. Aside from that, there's also the nature of the action. The development of the mystery of Padme's assassin sometimes happens with no action at all (Dexter, Jedi library, Yoda and the younglings), and when it does happen with action it's all small confrontations, no big battles (until the very end, of course). TCW film has more action and larger scale action (with perhaps that same exception), and a more rapid pace. As CT pointed out, it makes the same wise move Ep. IV makes in only giving the audience as much information as they need to carry the plot into the next action scene. Of course, I associate that trait with Flash Gordon as well which is a huge plus for me. There's more, but the temporal setting's context in the larger saga and the quality and quantity of action are probably the two most major things. Any more specific questions?

KenobiSkywalker I agree it's a much easier call only looking at the first 1/4 of TCW film.

KenobiSkywalker and Seerow like this.
  23. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    AOTC is not a good film, but it's more watchable than bad animation + simplistic god awful dialogue (TCW). 2342094923 explosions does not cover the fact that it was poorly put together and made.

And Dark Lord Tarkas TCW's action scenes lacked just about everything an action scene needs minus explosions and nameless characters dying. It was pretty much generic action scene for the sake of showing an action scene. Insert lightsaber duel here...

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I thought the battle on Christophsis was the highlight of the move and really brutal. I'd actually say its on par with AOTC since the big battle was also the highlight of the move and really brutal. Incidently the last 4th of the TCW movie about puts me to sleep and a good 4th of AOTC almost puts me to sleep.

25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    A huge difference between Geonosis and TCW's opening battle is that one had a story purpose and the other didn't. You honestly have no idea what the hell is going on with TCW's. Sure the EU and those TCW tie ins clarify just about everything you need to know about the battle, but for kids or people not looking into that material, it really is confusing nonsense. Brutal? Nameless/random battle droids and clones dying. Eh...