main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Theatrical version of Darth Vader's "Nooooo!"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vader1996, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Vader1996

Vader1996 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2017
    Hello,
    I'm looking for the theatrical version of Darth Vader's "Nooooo!" in ROTS. It was said to be much longer than the DVD version, which made it even more cheesy.

Mostly Handless and Cryogenic like this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    True, I remember stepping out for a bathroom break when he started. He was still going when I got back to my seat.

3. Vader1996

Vader1996 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2017
    Cryogenic likes this.
  4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It wasn't that much longer. If anything, hardly half a second was trimmed off

I can't say for sure if that link is the unaltered version or not, but if you're not willing to risk it, this website has the original sound as a very clean rip

Warning: it's loud. Like, damn, even at 20% volume, that kinda made me jump

5. Vader1996

Vader1996 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2017
    I know that thing. I installed it's mobile app on my phone to use in dire situations. Never realized it was the theatrical version though.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Cryogenic likes this.
  6. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    So that's the original? I never noticed the difference until now. It's only a little longer. I actually prefer this one to the later versions.

Cryogenic likes this.
  7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    No problem

Like I said, the difference is a few frames, at most. Noticeable if you know exactly when to listen for the cutoff point, but otherwise, most wouldn't notice at all if they didn't explicitly read that it was altered

Cryogenic likes this.
  8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

You re-entered the wrong auditorium. :p

Not heard about the Vader exclamation being longer or any different in the theatrical release of ROTS than it is on DVD or Blu-ray.

There are, however, some differences between the theatrical and home-video versions of the prequels.

The most obvious differences are probably those between the theatrical and subsequent home-video releases of TPM. For the 2001 DVD release, extra footage was added during the podracer introduction (or "grid") sequence, and on Coruscant there is an additional scene of Anakin wandering off with Padme and Jar Jar and boarding the air taxi and then some wide shots of Coruscant with the taxi in transit. Puppet Yoda, of course, was also swapped out for a digital variant around the time of ROTS, becoming available to the public when the Blu-ray "Complete Saga" hit stores in September 2011. There are some other adjustments on the Blu-ray release; perhaps the "Jedi Speed" trick executed by Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, when they evade the droidekas on the TF ship, is the most notable example. Also, at some point, it seems the entire movie was given a new colour timing; appearing very differently (less pink and blue, less cropped) in pre-release and accompanying documentary material (check out the more pastel-like colours, for example, during clips incorporated into the "Episode I: Story Featurette").

AOTC was also adjusted for DVD and Blu-ray. Originally, on theatrical release, Anakin simply sinks to the floor after his confession to Padme; the exchange that follows -- "To be angry is to be human" from Padme, and Anakin's retort, "I'm a Jedi, I know I'm better than this" -- was added later. Non-digital releases of AOTC were also missing the shot of Padme taking Anakin's metallic hand in the closing wedding scene. Another change to dialogue for DVD was made for the part where Padme falls out of the gunship. Padme sounds more weary in the DVD and subsequent home-video releases, mouthing back a slightly self-conscious "uh huh" when the clone trooper asks her if she's alright. For the Blu-ray release, another piece of dialogue added was the sound of Shmi crying out to Anakin during Anakin's nightmare on Naboo. These latter additions (one each for Padme and Shmi, the "mother" figures, curiously enough) may have been made based on criticism the film received for being especially "awkward" during these exact moments. Though that's just some speculation on my part. Lastly, AOTC was slightly re-edited for its Blu-ray release (power couplings scene, Dooku flying off from the hangar), and the tint of the whole film was shifted toward the "teal" range.

ROTS was adjusted in two areas. The DVD release changed the transition from Obi-Wan leaving Mustafar to the close-up of Anakin's metallic hand to a simple edit. Originally, that transition occurred via a wipe, which was restored for the Blu-ray release. Another change for the Blu-ray release was to the roofs of the Wookiee dwellings on Kashyyyk. They were originally non-weathered; now they have visible moss growing on them. It is quite possible Vader's cry was altered, but I've not seen any commentary to this effect.

NOTE: This DVD Active article goes over many of the changes for the DVD and Blu-ray releases. It isn't entirely comprehensive, however. But if you enjoy looking at prequel frames and drinking in the visual beauty of these films in a bite-size form, it's worth a look:

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-four.html

That same article also supplies the original and altered versions of three audio changes mentioned above:

- Anakin's nightmare: original version, altered version.
    - Confession scene: original version, altered version.
    - Padme recovering: original version, altered version.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  9. Vader1996

Vader1996 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2017
    It is one of the changes addressed in Wookieepedia's article about all Star Wars changes: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List...tar_Wars:_Episode_III_Revenge_of_the_Sith_DVD
    I'm going to compare the audio's by recording the theatrical sound on mp3, and converting my BrRip of ROTS to mp3. Then I can load both of them in Audacity and see if there's a difference.

Cryogenic likes this.
  10. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Yes. I see that now. Thanks for the link.

On the audio front, I forgot to mention the clone trooper dialogue added to the Obi-Wan vs. Grievous confrontation. Seeing it listed on the Wookiepedia article reminded me of how striking a change that was when I first heard it. I'd watched that part enough times that, when I got a newer DVD release (based on the Blu-ray transfers), I practically jumped out of my seat at the sudden presence of the clones barking orders and chattering to themselves.

I've often wondered if there are a whole host of very small changes that we've basically all failed to have any conscious awareness of. Some of the changes that HAVE been noted are strange enough! I bet a number of very small things have been snuck though; because our neural "net", so to speak, is too big and too clumsy to "catch" them. That George Lucas is a sneaky guy! Anyway, good luck on your comparison; you might be one of the first to confirm something!

11. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Personally I think R1 missed a great opportunity for some mirroring. Like when Krennic asks Vader to speak to the Emperor he should've got in Krennic's face & screamed "NOOOOOooo!". Again, at the end when he sees the Rebels escape with the plans, another big "NOOOOooo!".

DrDre and Mostly Handless like this.
  12. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

His voice didn't quite sound up to the task if you ask me. :p