main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Thee Backslacpkping With Media'

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by None, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. None

None Jedi Master star 2

Mar 14, 1999
    Glad to hear that ElectroFilms is feeling better, here we go.

When did I ask everyone to understand this manufacturer'd term? Like a person's name or the character name, THX1138, this is just the title of the project. Do I need to know the derivation of 'George' to know who 'George Lucas' is? A title is an identifier, not necessarily an explanation of everything associated with it. Word's meaning change over time, but at some point they have to be created. I have ideas of what this word means, and they've been posted for everyone to make what they will. Sorry this term doesn't fall into commonplace pronunciation library. Do you think maybe this was done intentionally. Then the question becomes why would someone want a title which is unspeakable. Save that for another day. This forum's posters choose to dwell on this aspect of the project, sorry to everyone reading.

As you know, this wasn't directed towards your contribution to the thread. This was in response to GregoryHarbin, who went on record that the 'internet is english'. Although there are threads in this forum in spanish, french and other languages.

"asdhflajsdlfkjadsklfjadsklj" is a valid title. It's part of the Monkey Shakespeare quintilogy.

I don't care if I come across mad, insane, rational or human.

http://www.cummingsstudyguides.net/xThou.html
    Thee : To address a person of inferior status, such as a child or servant; to address a friend; to impart a poetic ring when expressing profound thoughts or reciting a prayer.

That beginning of the last definition was what I was going for. Again I wasn't stating that this project is expressing profound thought, but I am imparting a poetic ring to the title. Over emphasizing the 'ee's does that.

I appreciate your effort to continue the discussion, there's 3.5 hours of video. Hope someone watches some: http://www.noneinc.com/tBSWM/tBSWM_Video.html or downloads the DVD version.

Thanks Master_Comyn, there are zero connections to any organization of merit, so it would be that other who'zi'what'zit which does you in. On this end just me. I did grow up idolizing Data from TNG, but that's a 'ME' problem.

Look this is an open ended project, part of what you put in you might get out. There's no defined goal, you can watch/read what you want when you want. Someone from another forum brought up how in Sci-Fi programming there are periodically a scene where a character learns vast amounts of history from watching some specifically editted quickly played video file. Data has done it on TNG, in the Fifth Element, Leeloo learns about humanity relationship to war through some highly edited futuristic video something or other. And this poster also mentioned a movie called 'The Final Cut', where people are implanted with cameras at birth and their whole lives are recorded and upon death, an Editor, recreates their lives from the recorded memories. This presentation attempts to showcase what went down as the final Star Wars movie was theatrically released. one person (with too much time on their hands) put this presentation together. You can view it and call it trivial or see it some other way. I just hope that this work can show to some of you that this is a technology we need to have. And with enough people believing that this is something we need to have, someday it'll be something we do have, so that the next nut can think of the next something we need, etc. ad nauseum.

2. AndyJarosz

AndyJarosz Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2009
    Marvin Minsky lives.

3. Ricky_Calrissian

Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2008
    ... YES!
    =D==D==D=

4. GregoryHarbin

GregoryHarbin Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2010
    I did WHAT NOW?

OK, now I think you're just a troll.

Benefit of the doubt = off.

This project is expressing NO thought. This project is the equivalent of an infinite number of monkeys banging on an infinite number of typewriters, only with other peoples' media. Fair use protects journalists, but you, sir, are not a journalist. You're simply throwing a bunch of crap on the screen and saying 'oh, you must be too stupid or closed-minded to understand it.'

It's crap, and there's no reason that this fact should be pussy-footed around. If you'd like to edit together a ten minute documentary that actually puts forward some sort of thesis (as we're taught in 7th grade), I will watch it.

As for your defense of the title, which consists of 'well, you wouldn't've understood it in Chinese either,' I'd ask you: why then do you think anyone would understand it? Did you consider, before inventing a new word, if there is value in its invention? "THX1138" is pronounceable. "George Lucas" is pronounceable. Any number of invented words are pronounceable.

Even Star Wars, which is as full of invented words and concepts and names as a thing can be, is based on a simple, easy to understand title. "Star Wars." Wars. and Stars. THAT'S poetry. If it had been called "Thee Stwarwras With," no one would have gone to see it. No one would have made it.

5. None

None Jedi Master star 2

Mar 14, 1999
    Well it seems i've made a mistake. Apologies to GregoryHarbin and ElectroFilms. Because the original post was edited, and also removed from the next bunch of Quotations, i gots confused. This made it more difficult to figure out who said what, and I goofed. So I thought the ElectroFilms post of "lol the internet IS english isnt it?" was GregoryHarbin, which it wasn't. But that explains why he replied to my response to that phrase. But the response to the GH "This message board certainly is" stands as is.

Could someone please post the originally removed phrase, or at least PM it to me so I can place this discussion.

When you approach a search engine and search for the word 'Sith' and it returns webpages with the word 'Sith', is there value in that. If you could do that for media, if you wanted to watch/listen to people saying just the word 'Sith', would you classify that as monkeys banging on typewriters.

Fair use protects Creators. Correct I am not a journalist.

I don't see myself making that kind of documentary. But there is a thesis to this documediamentary, we clarify it with every post.

See prior title discussion, specifically: Then the question becomes why would someone want a title which is unspeakable.

(Here's a lay up for you) This is no Star Wars. ...and since no one's suggested a new one, we're stuck with the uneasy to understand title.

And if you're like me and don't know who AndyJarosz alluded to, here's some links about Marvin Minsky:
    http://web.media.mit.edu/~minsky/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Minsky

6. GregoryHarbin

Feb 22, 2010
    When I type "Sith" into Google or Lexus-Nexus, I get a stream of easy to decipher sources. If someone (you) were you just stick those sources into a Final Cut Pro timeline (your project) with no sense of direction or purpose, I would classify that as monkeys banging on typewriters. The sources are the typewriter keys, the typewriter is Final Cut Pro, and you, sir, are the monkeys.

Your job is to make sense of the data, not just show us the data.

Data, as data, is useless.

Consider this string, outside of any context:

If I tell you to make sense of that, what can you do? Nothing. But if I tell you that that is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, then suddenly what appeared to be random is suddenly useful.

You're giving us the random. And your posts in this thread have been the equivalent of a poorly written Chinese math textbook run through Babelfish.

7. Ricky_Calrissian

Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Master star 3

Nov 17, 2008
    ... Signature.

But in all seriousness, the general public haven't understood your attempts at a comprehensive outlook on the subject, but you must admit it is a bit daunting and confusing when you answer people's questions so cryptically. People are simple, and we like simple answers (America, mostly) so try just giving us a simple synopsis. Yes, you may have explained it before and you thought it was adequate, but sincerely sir: it was not.

8. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    These words:

Seem to contradict these words:

Look. We GET IT. You're using Star Wars as a medium to explore new forms of cognitive interfaces for knowledge acquisition through a web installation.

It's not that hard. We know what you're trying to suggest.

But I don't buy it. Why? Because what you're expressing here is a macrocosmic representation of the tree-structure by which the Internet already operates. What you've assembled is a representation of taking the various branches of information and media available about ROTS and shredded the links and clumped it all together into a primary resource base. You've just collated data from various sources into a singular source...bypassing the need for an external search strata through providing a your own knowledge tree within the project.

Essentially you just got a bunch of media that's individually accessible via the internet and clumped them together into one place.

Which is basically what the internet already is to real life.

And you've done it INSIDE the internet, which is potentially twice as redundant as a proof of concept.

Do you remember these from the 1990's? http://www.uah.edu/music/technology/cai/exploratory.html

You've basically made one of those, but on the Internet.

I know you feel that conversation regarding this form will result in some sort of communal emergence or gradual cognitive alignment to your presentation, but I'm afraid you're selling something that's already been done on a much larger scale and because of this, people on this forum aren't taking to it. They're not asking you 'what's the point', more that they're asking 'that's nice...SO WHAT?'.

There is definite potential - both as a knowledge base and for media archeology - to have a nexus point by which all media of the world is archived, particularly that of a journalistic nature and perhaps in that regards your project hints of a future where such a resource will come into fruition...but really how different is that to the microfiche system that was employed throughout libraries all across the globe for the past 70 years? It's not really innovation, it's just technology align

9. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    I feel like you want to make the internet... except only with Star Wars.

10. None

None Jedi Master star 2

Mar 14, 1999
    It seems that after being with this project for 5 years, i'm less interested in where i've been and more about ideas I myself cannot complete. So I keep rehashing them in the hope someone will take the ideas and run. I'll try to go back and explain what was done since that seems to be what these replies are interested in.

In some sense this was done. Instead of watching 40-50 hours, straight on, the media was condensced to 3.5. And the focus on Star Wars itself was removed, so that the focus became what people talked about when talking about Star Wars. Instead of watching them as presented they have under gone a process where each chapter focuses on a specific issue, so that you can see what was said and done on that specific issue, instead of bouncing from issue to issue, as the original broadcast did. In this presentation you are giving a step in the direction to spend time on the issue itself instead of having to learn the entire database then begin learning about any of these specifics.

We've gone over this idea, and it has been implemented in the project (subtitles) and elsewhere. (yes some of the replies)

I don't have one. I attempt a new one every time someone asks the question. And that's my inability to write clearly. I've gone over how I spent high school in the retard room, elsewhere. So at this point, you can either spend time posting to see if something conclusive comes about or just appreciate the project as is, or abandon ship.

How's today's attempt: Thematic clip show of the media which was presented as the final Star Wars episode entered theaters. Ahh let's just pilfer Soylen Green : tBSWM is a Clip Show! I've watched the 40+ hours so you don't have to! Fast Forwarding to the "__chapter specific__" parts.

In what manner. Hard to identify the specific contradiction from multiple responses.

The primary resource base would be all the media unedited. That for about 50% of the material exists out on the internet. (so for those interested it's available, but since you're not) Yes i've gone through them and 'collated data' on different topics, as I believe a search engine might. Now is the interface simplistic because in tBSWM you can only watch it linearly. Definitely. I don't have the computing skillz to create the video search engine, which doesn't return whole videos but returns pertinent parts. (the people at C-Span are the furthest along since they have searchable transcipts) But I chose to mimic how a video search engine results might look like. A clip show. In each Topic'd Clip Show the material tells a story, the clips were organized so that you're introduced to the topic, and through the chapter learn where people took the topic and if a conclusion was found then that would cap the end. (the drug chapter has lovely bookends for instance) But there are chapters like the Sith ones where you're just left introduced to the way they said things. In the first Sith chapter, they are all clips of actual film footage. The second Sith chapter are all the clips of talking heads. Another Sith chapter the clips are organized in decending length. These would all be parameters of a video search system. Yes, I've shredded the original narrative of for example the 2005 Bill O'Reilly

11. GregoryHarbin

Feb 22, 2010
    Has anyone in this thread ever used the term 'backslapping'? I didn't realize what it meant until I just looked it up.

12. None

None Jedi Master star 2

Mar 14, 1999
    What is the short synopsis was: 'The Backslacpkping With Media' is (an investigation into) what people were really talking about when they said they were talking about Star Wars. (in the lead up to the release of Revenge of the Sith)

13. None

None Jedi Master star 2

Mar 14, 1999
    The word also has a more urban dictionary side where like in older times, people would slap each other with the back of their hands or a glove to instigate a duel. The threat being: "Don't make me show you the back of my hand!" (not sure if it's the follow through or the beginning attack position) So in my mind, Backslapping contains dual meanings, which when combined with 'slacking' (ie apathy towards; the opposite to congratulatory or antagonistic actions) becomes more confusable with multiple meanings. So the term, Backslacpkping, attempts to represent three states, For - Against - Indifferent.

Please rate this explanation from 1-5. 1 being unhelpful, 5 being helpful.

and it's a term i've never used until this project. <insert Obi-Wan AotC quote: "Good Job">

14. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    lol

um...rofl? [face_laugh]

lol... hmmm interesting..now here's 3 and 1/2 hours of video. LOL!

This has to be the best thread of all time. I nominate that it be locked immediately and stickied to commemorated it's spam-troll-tastic awesomeness.

15. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Generally that's referred to as "backhanding," such as in the idiom "backhanded compliment."

16. ShadowDuelist

ShadowDuelist Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2006
    Great, now he's going to change it to backhslancpdkping or something like that. :rolleyes:

17. fjrsm

fjrsm Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Oh my God, this has got to be one of the most hilarious threads I have ever read...

Also, it seems as if Master Comyn has been, in fact, sacked by the government.

18. TrowaGP02a

TrowaGP02a Jedi Master star 4

Dec 24, 2004
  19. GregoryHarbin

Feb 22, 2010
    QFT!

20. None

None Jedi Master star 2

Mar 14, 1999
    For those interested in the sacked by the United States Government, that issue is forthcoming, the anniversary of the legislation, H.R.357 & S.167 was a few months back.

H.R.357 : http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:HR00357:mad:@@L&summ2=m&
    S.167 : http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:S.167:

Those bills paved the way so that people would go to jail for Revenge of the Sith, and that process lead to the creation of backstroke of the west. Those are two of the three inspiration forces behind this very project, the third began this recent round of posts.

If you would like to watch this projects "People VS George" submission (clips surfaced from this project are in the doc.) which offsets the press releases of the government sacking history of the RotS leak verses George's trip to Congress on behalf of freer internet for educational purposes, then visit: http://www.noneinc.com/tBSWM/tBSWM_FAQ.html#PvsG and watch the submission. (75mb)

21. GregoryHarbin

Feb 22, 2010
    Do you mean 'those sacked'?

Because that makes more sense.

But it means fired.

Which means termination of employment.

Which means making someone lose their job. At the government.

Which doesn't make sense, again.

22. None

None Jedi Master star 2

Mar 14, 1999

Of course, but there are those who end up in burlap sacks. They are also sacked. I was moving the conversation towards a different topic. Riffing along the way. Read any of the Press Releases?

23. GregoryHarbin

Feb 22, 2010
    The American government is killing people over copyright violations?

24. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    No, i think what he's saying is, the government is killing star wars fans...that or tea-bagging them till they wish they were dead. all i know is I just read something about the government's sack.

25. None

None Jedi Master star 2

Mar 14, 1999
    I have contemplated creating additional chapters and have collected the material which would compare the Star Wars Fan Films to the television programs and movies which referenced Star Wars, from this 4 month period. If you can foresee an issue which would appear in both categories, please PM or post, and i'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.