Index Theed Palace, v. 2: Naboo Index/Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pandora, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Pandora Force Ghost

star 3
    This is an index and discussion thread for characters from Naboo. It will most likely focus on the handmaidens and Queens, but I mean for it to apply to all minor and background characters from Naboo, whether or not they are named in the credits. So if you wanted to read a story about, let's say, that one woman in the background at Padmé's funeral, and someone had actually written one, you could find the link here.

And yes, gungans are included.

With mod approval, I have started this to continue where the previous Theed Palace thread left off, almost three years ago.

If you have a story that is set on Naboo or centered around a minor Naboo character (this is a loose definition, and we can discuss it if you still think your story fits), PM me with the following:

Title (w/ link):
    Author:
    Timeframe:
    Characters:
    Summary:
    Notes:

A FEW NOTES AND RULES:

--I won't be listing Ani/Ami or Sabewan stories. (Though I suspect a few of the latter may sneak in, as long as the focus is mostly on Sabé.) There are other indexes already in place for that.

--Since The Padmé Amindexa (linked below) indexes Padmé centered stories, I will not be listing them here. Again, if you think your story focuses enough on another Naboo character that it could fit here, we can discuss it.

--This may or may not go without saying, but I won't be listing fics that are clearly abandoned. That is, if the last post was in, say, 2003, I can safely assume the author is not coming back. However! If you are that author, and you do come back to finish up, I will list the fic.

--You can mention your own fan fics if it is relevant to the discussion at hand, but no pimping. Keep the Lincoln Towncar in the garage.

Other Naboo Links:

Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady. Padmé character discussion thread.

The Royal Handmaiden Society: Revenge of the Handmaidens.

The Padmé Amindexa: the Shiny and New Archive for your Padmé Amidala stories

Offsite links:

Naboo Characters.
    The Wookiepedia category for people from Naboo.

Loyal Decoy
    A shrine for Sabé, Amidala's decoy in The Phantom Menace.

Star Wars Fit for a Queen
    This site focuses mostly on Padmé's impressive wardrobe, but also includes information on handmaiden and queen costumes.

The Royal Handmaiden Society.
    The handmaiden website.

--

FIRST CHALLENGE:

Write a story about one of Amidala's handmaidens set after their respective movies. Show what just might have happened next.

*Remember, there is no deadline. Feel free to submit a response at any time.
  2. Pandora Force Ghost

star 3
    INDEX

(Will be organized by characters)

Handmaidens

Amidala's handmaidens (Sabé, Rabé, Eirtaé, Yané, Saché, Cordé, Versé, Dormé, Moteé, Ellé).

Title: A Queen, a Senator, and a Friend
    Author: Alishu06
    Timeframe: During Padme's funeral
    Characters: Padme, Sabe, Rabe, Dorme, Eirtae, Sache, Yane, Elle, Motee, etc.
    Genre: Vignette Series
    Disclaimer: I wish I owned it, but sadly I don't
    Thank you Kelia for betaing this for me!

Title: One Prick to Bleed
    Author: Amidolee
    Summary: An AU beginning during AotC, featuring Sabè, Anakin, and Obi-Wan.
    Disclaimer: I own nothing, except my muse, and even that is doubtful.

Title: Waiting for Spring
    Author: AngelQueen
    Timeframe: RotS
    Characters: Sabé
    Summary: Her grief knew no bounds, but he had no answers to give her. Not at that time.

Title: In the Pale Moonlight
    Author: brodiew
    Characters: Sabe', Garm Bel Iblis
    Timeframe: ROTS
    Disclaimer: This is all George's jungle.
    A/N: this is my second entry in the Crack Pairing Paradise Challenge. I hope you enjoy this not so cracked 'ship.

Title: Confessions
    Author: DarthIshtar
    Summary: Pre-ROTS Padme/Dorme vignette

Title: Untitled
    Author: Darth Sabé
    Characters: Iaré (Own character, handmaiden), Veruna, Eirtaé, Amidala
    Rating: G
    Timescale: Three years after TPM
    A/N: This is a fic I wrote after having a rare flash of inspiration, both for content and style. The handmaidens have always been my favourite characters, and I seem most drawn to fics covering their service to Amidala. We know very little about Veruna - he was king of Naboo for (I think) thirteen years before Amidala was voted his successor, prompted by his corruption and personal (verbal) attacks on her, and he later died.

Title: A Capital Journey
    Author: Enji
    Timeframe: AOTC
    Characters: Versé, some Cordé
    Genre: vignette
    Keywords:
    Summary: Versé's thoughts as she's on her way to Coruscant

Title: Bound to Fall
    Author: Fifilla
    Summary: Cordé?s thoughts and memories about her time as a handmaiden.
    Notes: Response to the Bob Dylan Quotations Roulette Challenge

Title: Soul of Love and Bravery
    Author: Gunrayslawyer
    Timeframe:AOTC to just before EPISODE III
    Characters: Original Characters, Dorme, Anakin. Padme, Obi-Wan, Tarkin, and a cast of thousands
    Genre: Drama, some action, romance
    Keywords: AU
    Summary: A prequel to "To Absent Friends", an AU in, around and parallel to AOTC, with some moderate changes to canon, and a look into another romance

Title: Cordé: Return to Coruscant
    Author: Handmaiden_Yane
    Characters: Cordé, Versé
    Rating: PG
    Time Period: AotC
    Spoilers: Only if you haven't seen AotC

Title: Episode I Journal: Yané
    Rating: PG, I suppose
    Time Period: TPM

Title: Rainbow's End: Versé's Story
    Rating: PG, I suppose
    Time Period: pre-AOTC

Title: Forbidden Rendezvous
    Author: Jade_Max
    Timeframe: Several months Pre-AotC (AU, Padmé returned to Coruscant briefly before AotC) to the beginning of AotC (canon)
    Charac
  3. Pandora Force Ghost

star 3
    The Naberries

Title: Loss of Innocence
    Author: Alethia
    Rating: PG
    Characters: Anakin/Padmé, Padmé's family
    Summary: Ryoo reflects on being a grown-up and her aunt and uncle one afternoon.

Title: Love Actually
    Author: amidalachick
    Timeframe: About 14 years before TPM
    Characters: The Naberries
    Genre: Fluff, mush...something like that.
    Summary: Sola gets a sister, and she's not sure she wants one
    Notes: Written for the Movie Title Challenge.

Title: The Sofa
    Author: amidalachick
    Timeframe: Several years before TPM
    Characters: Jobal Naberrie, Ruwee Naberrie
    Genre: Mush (*sigh*), a bit of humor
    Keywords: Sofa... hypnotized
    Summary: Jobal and Ruwee Naberrie have a happy marriage, except for one thing...
    Notes: Written for the Non-SW Movie Quotations Roulette Challenge. My quote was #4: "Well color me happy, there's a sofa in here for two!" (From Pretty Woman, 1990)

Title: Beloved Betrayer
    Author: AnakinsFavorite
    Era: Post ROTS
    Characters: Ryoo Naberrie, Leia, mystery
    Summary: This is my take on how Ryoo Naberrie reacted to her aunt's death... and the welcoming of baby Leia into her home. Can you guess who the mystery character at the end is?
    Disclaimer: I do not own SW.

Title: Rebel Choice
    Author: AngelQueen
    Timeframe: pre-ANH through ANH
    Characters: Pooja Naberrie, various OCs, minor Bail Organa, Leia, and Palpatine, etc.
    Genre: Drama, political
    Keywords: Imperial Senate, politics, rebels
    Summary: What happened on Imperial Center when the Emperor dissolved the Senate?

Title: Baby girl, no more
    Author(s): CodyMonKenobi
    Timeframe: AOTC
    Characters: Ruwee Naberrie, Padmé, Anakin
    Genre: One-Shot Viggie
    Keywords:
    Summary: Ruwee looks back at tells the story of his daughter
    Notes: Thank you to my Master Luna_Nightshade who beta'd this piece for me. I dedicate it to my baby girl, who has many, many years before she replaces me as the man in her life.

Title: A Matter of Priorities
    Characters: Pooja, Leia
    Timeframe: Pre-ANH
    Note: Thanks to Kateydidnt for yet another really cool plot bunny.

Title: Wounds Within
    Summary: Padme/Pooja post-ROTS AU Vignette. Extreme angst inside.

Title: High Expectations
    Author: DreamingIce
    Timeframe: Inter-trilogy (7 yrs post RotS)
    Characters: Pooja Naberrie
    Genre: Drama, Tragedy
    Note: Another fic about a member of Padmé's family. Pooja is determined to get where she wants to go, but will she be let down? Inspired by my maths exams¦ and this quote "Expectations = Premeditated Resentment? Barbara Johnson

Title: Shattered Glass
    Author: DreamingIce
    Timeframe: Pre RotS and during
    Characters: Naberrie family, mentions of A/P
    Genre: Drama, Tragedy
    Summary: Members of the Naberrie family ponder the costs and outcomes of war. A/P hinted at.

Title: A Mother Knows
    Author: Gina
    Genre: Vignette, Angst
    Timeframe: ROTS
    Characters: Jobal Naberrie, Padmé
    Note: I started this vignette a long time ago then abandoned it, but I finally decided to dust if off and finish it.

Title: They Promised...
    Author: Gina
    Characters: Ryoo and Pooja Naberrie, Padmé
    Timeframe: Shortly before AoTC
  4. Pandora Force Ghost

star 3
    Here's a topic to begin with:

What minor Naboo character would you like to know more about? What interests you about them?

I'll be contrary (because that's what I am):

I would be interested (and surprised) to see fan fiction about the Lieutenant in AOTC. You know, his only line is when he tells Senator Amidala (or Cordé in disguise) that they're making their final approach into Coruscant. He dies when the ship blows up. I can't help but wonder about characters like him, who play minor roles in big stories, and get caught in the wrong place, wrong time.

But when you think about it, the Lt. might not have known he was just a minor character. To him, his story was the story. When I was still interested in acting, and always playing supporting roles, I kept that in mind: This character doesn't know they're playing a minor role in someone else's story.

Anyone else?
  5. Jaya Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This might not be the right place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone knew how much older Sola was from Padme? I tried looking it up, but there's not much luck with her age. Nor is there a lot of information about her other than being the Aunt of the twins. ;)
  6. Seldes_Katne Force Ghost

star 1
    I'd like to know more about or see fanfiction written about any of the Gungans we saw in the film. Jar Jar doesn't qualify as "minor", but any of the other Gungans would (Nass, Tarpals, etc.) I'd also prefer stories that deal with the Gungans as legitimate, intelligent characters who serve other purposes in the story besides comic relief or (laser) cannon fodder.

What interests me about the Gungans as a whole is that they're so different from their human neighbors, yet have managed to share a planet with them and virtually ignore them for many generations. The Gungans seem very much attuned to nature, but have advanced "technology" as well. I find the non-humans in Star Wars fascinating, and in TPM we got a look at an extensive culture and way of life. I've written a few stories about Gungans myself, but would like to see how other writers handle them.
  7. Pandora Force Ghost

star 3
    This might not be the right place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone knew how much older Sola was from Padme? I tried looking it up, but there's not much luck with her age. Nor is there a lot of information about her other than being the Aunt of the twins.

This would be the place.

If there is anything about Sola's age, I've never seen it. I'm pretty sure the canon never says. I would guess, based on observation alone, that she is between 8-10 years Padme's senior, and I've seen that guess around elsewhere. That would make her about 32-34 in AOTC.

There is hardly any information about Sola, period, but here's what I do know: She is married to Darred, who is an architect. He took her name, instead of the other way round, because the Naberrie name was influential and would get him places. Sola has two daughters, Ryoo and Pooja. She lives near her parents. That's it. Unlike Padme, she doesn't seem to have been pushed into politics or any other career at an early age. I think someone said on a thread buried deep in the boards that she seems to have a lot of free time on her hands, though that's a bit to assume, given how little she's in the movie.

She doesn't appear to have a job or career or any interests other than being a wife and mommy. Or so it seems if we go ONLY on what we see of her in AOTC, and assume that's what she does every day. Which may or may not be the case.
  8. Alishu06 Jedi Master

star 4
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I need alot of help on this area! lol I'm writing a story about Rabe and my books and other stuff that I have don't give me all the info I need. When I have more time I'll post some specific questions. (I have an essay due, so I have to work on that. Don't ya hate college hw?)
  9. Bale Force Ghost

star 4
    Does this thread apply to OC's from Naboo?
  10. Pandora Force Ghost

star 3
    Does this thread apply to OC's from Naboo?

Yes, it does.

I would guess that there are OCs in most Naboo fan fic, at least in supporting roles. A few stories in the index center around an OC. For example, I wrote a story about one of Queen Apailana's handmaidens. I had the main character look like one of the handmaidens we see with her in ROTS, but really, all I have of her is what she looks like. Other than that, the character I have made is original.

So, yes, OCs are welcome.

11. Alishu06 Jedi Master

star 4
    That's good to hear cause I have made ppl up in my story.
  12. AngelQueen Force Ghost

star 4
    There is one spot that does tell when she was born, at the Star Wars Wiki. That place has a ton of extensive information on just about anything you want to know. And they really do work hard at keeping the information there accurate.

According to Sola's article, she was born fifty years before the Battle of Yavin, while Padmé's article states that she was born forty-six years before the Battle of Yavin. So - obviously - that puts the sisters at a four-year age difference.

It's great to see Theed Palace up and working again in its new form, Pandora! :D Great job! :)

AQ
  13. Jaya Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That's funny because I looked there and never saw anything about the age. She looks way older than Padme does.

Edit: I just checked there and it doesn't mention her age at all. I'm going with she's around 7 years older. ;)
  14. AngelQueen Force Ghost

star 4
    Here's the link. We might be talking about two different areas.

Star Wars Wiki

AQ
  15. Jaya Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    They shouldn't be. I would think that since it's Wikipedia that all of it would have the same information. That's really not cool of them to have two separate sections that don't sync up.
  16. AngelQueen Force Ghost

star 4
    Star Wars Wiki is actually one of the wikicities. It focuses exclusively on Star Wars. The main sight, Wikipedia, is more generalized because it covers a lot more ground. *shrug* I prefer Star Wars Wiki (or Wookieepedia, as some call it ;) myself, but that's just me. :D

AQ
  17. Jaya Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I just didn't realize they were separate. It's kind of annoying since I went to the normal site for all of my information about everything and then there's this completely separate part. Eh, I'm just going with her age as 7 years older for my fic. :p Wrote too much of their dynamics to change much. Plus I don't want to. ;)
  18. Alishu06 Jedi Master

star 4
    What minor Naboo character would you like to know more about? What interests you about them?

Jamillia, or the little girl up w/ the royal party in TPM. She's behind Sabe and has a gold/yellow dress w/ the Naboo royal symbol thingy on the bottom.
  19. AngelQueen Force Ghost

star 4

Hmm... [face_thinking] A tough choice. There are many background characters on Naboo that attract attention.

I'd go with either Sabé or Apailana. We know her fate - *shudders* - and it isn't a pretty one. But where did she come from? What were her beginnings? Jamillia would also be interesting too. Where did she go after she abdicated the throne, I wonder?

AQ
  20. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10

HRH Queen Kylantha from the OT era. It fascinates me to see a queen who's an Imperial Loyalist and yet manages to preserve the democratic principles her people believe in.
  21. Alishu06 Jedi Master

star 4
    She sounds interesting.
    *goes off to learn more about her*
  22. AngelQueen Force Ghost

star 4
  23. Pandora Force Ghost

star 3
    Yes, yes. It's been a while since I posted anything here, but since I've added a few stories to the index today, I thought I would add a few other things. You know. It's an up, but the Up! is cleverly (one hopes) hidden inside the message.

First, I'll answer, again, the question about minor characters I would be interested in knowing more about:

I'd also like to know more about Queen Jamillia. I do know that she abdicated the throne (or, the wording in the wiki article was a bit vague on that point. It sounded as though Apailana and Amidala almost ganged up on her. So how voluntary was her decision?). Then, she disappears.

It's interesting, given her big line in AOTC: "The day we stop believing in democracy is the day we lose it." That would have been before she realized the republic she served was a lie. That the democracy she believed in was already gone. I can see potential for conflict here--personal, and cultural. The Naboo seem to be very traditional, which has its good and bad points. Jamillia's story also indicates, or perhaps this is only my reading, that the Naboo are resistant to change.

I wonder if perhaps Apailana, years later, in her dealings with the Empire, realized that Jamillia had been right.

Another character: Hmmm. I think I'll go with Ryoo Naberrie. There's some information in her bio on the official site, none of which I can recall at the moment, but she is definately overshadowed by her little sister. Her adulthood is left a mystery. Or if it isn't, I don't know about it.

A few other comments:

So Sola is supposedly only four years older than Padme? I agree with Jaya Solo-- She looks older than that. I know that my father commented that he thought she looked ten or so years Padme's senior.

I was also thinking about her name. Sola is the Spanish word for alone (Solo, Han's surname, would be the masculine form). Yet, unlike Han, whose name reflects his character, Sola's does not. Sola is obviously quite social and surrounded by family. Perhaps in her case, a name is just a name.

I'll stay with the present discussion topic for now, but I will be putting up something new soon.
  24. Pandora Force Ghost

star 3
    Another update.

A few responses that didn't make it into the update right above this one:

It's great to see Theed Palace up and working again in its new form, Pandora! Great job!

Thanks, AngelQueen.

Hmm. I'm certainly seeing an interest in Jamillia, as well as the other Queens of Naboo.

So, for our next discussion topic, I'm going to narrow our focus to one character: Queen Jamillia.

We know that she served as Queen directly after the popular Amidala, and that her reign was a short one. She abdicated after only four years, and left Naboo. After that, she disappears from the saga.

But somewhere, her story must continue.

What are your thoughts on her?
  25. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
    I just read the Wookiepedia article. it does sound very, very intriguing. I wonder where they got their sources from. Anyway, here's the part of the article that's mostly to do with Jamilla and not just Amidala:

During the Separatist crisis, Jamillia was one of many planetary rulers who opened up their worlds to aide many refugees loyal to the Galactic Republic who were fleeing the worlds seceding from the Republic.

Queen Jamillia only served one term as Queen. She was asked to step down from the Throne, as she had started to side with the Seperatists. She no longer trusted the corrupt Republic and believed it had lost what it stood for. However, the people still supported the Republic, and she became unpopular. As a result, Jamillia resigned.

After the current Princess of Theed, Apailana, had called for elections, Senator Amidala convinced her to run for Queen herself. The younger woman was victorious and after she formally succeeded her, Jamillia departed from Naboo. Her destination was unknown.

In the wikipedia article, it adds:

Jamillia had stated that she no longer had faith in the Republic. Jamillia made these feelings clear, and was asked to abdicate in favor of a new and more effective monarch. Jamillia, however, did stay until the election was over, supporting then Nabook Princess Apailana the whole way through; when the time came, Apailana helped the former Queen to leave Naboo peacefully. It was rumored Jamillia left, because she was frightened of what the Naboo would do to her outside the Palace, seeing as she was not going to be asked to continue within Government, due to her beliefs. However, Queen Apailana did not hold this against her.

I wonder what happened to her after the Clone Wars, when history eventually proved her right.

Regarding Sola, I always wished that Padme's sister was a younger sister. It seemed better, character-wise, for Padme to have been either a first child or an older child. It would also have made the fact that she was still without a family more striking if she had had a younger sister with two children.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.