main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA TheForce.net new look

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Nawara-Ven, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nawara-Ven

Nawara-Ven Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2004
    just wondering if anyone else has had a look at theforce.net new look website?

I'm finding it difficult to navigate, and think they should have stuck to the old format, which was straightforward and easy to use.

maybe it's just me, being stuck in my ways and not wanting to go out of my comfort zone.....

o_O

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I took a look and got very confused. I liked the old format as well....it explains why the boards were down last night....

3. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I dont think it is That bad. . .but yeah, THE BOARDS WHERE DOWN !! I nearly went insane. . .well not actually. . . i just do to somthing else.

:D

4. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    I think the design is quite 'professional' looking but a few things bug me..

1-too many images. Each button or link is an individual image. Long loading times for us poor modem people.

2-use of tables for the layout. I used to use tables for all my web work and to be fair I teach it to my students because you can accomplish good layout with a minimum of ease. But using tables (a) increases load times and (b) philosphically for us web geeks, using stylesheets to accomplish design is much better.

3-as you guys have pointed out it's hard to navigate. I looked up their new website users guide last week and it does make more sense now (use the drop down menu up top). I just feel that it's too cluttered and for an information based site, I find it a little overwhelming.

I based some of my layout ideas for the SAFF site from the old TFN site. And for what it's worth, I think they could have tweaked and modernised the site without going quite so over the top. Perhaps even used the basis of the old site for this one.

I did want to look at their forums to see what people are saying about it, but I reckon it'll be a bit of ***tfight in there at the moment ;)

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    In Comms there has a been rather widespread criticism of the new design :)

6. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    I absoutely hate it.... the old design was just fine.

7. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    Which forums are they commenting on it in - I'm keen to know now ;)

8. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
  9. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    They're absolutely caning it in the forums. Not good. Someone brought up something about the tables - look at the html source and there is over *40* tables on the main page.

*shudder*

10. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    The best way to read the news updates is via an rss reader or visiting the site at http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/ , which gives you a list of headlines. Still looks a bit cluttered but is much easier to read than the normal main page.

11. saber_champ

saber_champ Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2004
    The new site is a bit cluttered but it looks much more modern. i think it's pretty good once you get used to navigating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.