main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thematic Connections

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by TenorAprentice, Aug 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    So, of course one of the things that makes Star Wars stand out among scores are the rich themes. I mean, do you know anyone who couldn't hum at least one of the star wars themes? Anyway, one thing I love to do is draw connections and hear the development of themes from others. So, I thought it would be neat to hear what connections you guys have made, and how the themes connect. Also, speculation as to what may come in Ep.III may be fun too....

To start us off, the Emperor's theme. Cold, dark...it just eminates the dark side. Well, did anyone notice the similarities between it and Augie's Great Municipal Band (parade music in TPM). The melodic motion is very similar, having the quick step up and down, followed by a drop down (to the dominant). The only real difference between the them is the last two notes (the emperor's leaps up to emphasize the half note tension). This adds a neat subtext to the movie... yes they won, but they were inadverantly fighting for the Emperor.

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah Tenor, it's sorta common knowledge around here about the Augie/Palpy thing. ;)

But yes, that's VERY cool, and it shows how it was actually, at the end, Palpatine that truly won. :)

3. RikDuel_of_the_fates

RikDuel_of_the_fates Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    Well...this is probably a bit off topic (although it may fit with the subject heading) but I could've sworn I heard something close to the Force theme in the second track of the Superman score.
    Close, only, like one note off, and that note is the same, only different octave if I'm not mistaken.
    M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.