main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thematic or plot-reason for separation between TPM and AOTC

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by vladimir_imp, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vladimir_imp

vladimir_imp Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Simple point for discussion. Why do you think GL kept Anakin and Padme apart between TPM and AOTC.

The way that TPM ended, there was no specific reason why they couldn't have continued to see each other between the two films. Of course Anakin had training and Padme had political duties. But GL could have begun AOTC with the couple having had 10 years of wonderful friendship behind them, maybe even starting with flirting and familiarity. Then when distanced from Obi-Wan the romance could blossom. No major changes to the structure of AOTC.

So, having seen the entire saga, how important do you think this forced (by writer) separation was to the grand scheme of things?

2. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Good points and valid ones, but i have a feeling the whole seperation thing is an echo of the attachment thing. Because they are corresponding themes really. Anakin has been seperated from Padme and now that he is with her again he doesnt want to let her go, he doesnt want to not be with her. Without the seperation there would be no intense attachment and you wouldnt have Anakin feeling as he does: "From the moment I met you, all those years ago, a day hasn't gone by when I haven't thought of you. And now that I'm with you again, I'm in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you-- I can't breathe."
    (or whatever the dialog is)

On the other hand, Lucas probably could have made the attachment theme work with them having been together for the previous ten years. But i think the reason in the end why he went with the seperation version is to parallel with his mother. He is seperated from his mother and finally reunited only to have her die. Then he is seperated from Padme only to be finally reunited--leading to his fear of her dying and ultimately leading to his journey to the darkside. When you look at this way, the seperation plot point becomes necessary.

3. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    One of the things about Anakin and Padme's relationship in AOTC is that it changes on both sides.
    Padme thought of Anakin as the little boy she knew on Tatooine and would have thought his crush on her was cute.
    Anakin on the other hand a more idealised version of Padme, particularly after he found out she was the queen.

The separation gives us time until they are old enough for the relationship to change

4. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I think in the plot it doesn't make much sense for Anakin to have seen Padme during the 10 years. He was most likely doing the youngling training we see in AOTC. He wouldn't exactly have gotten to leave the Temple and wander over to the Senate chamber. Also, I don't think we know just how long the term of office is on Naboo. Padme could have been Queen up until a couple of months before AOTC, and therefore kind of stuck on Naboo for the most part.

5. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    He was most likely doing the youngling training we see in AOTC.

Incorrect, it is stated in the AOTC audio commentary that Anakin does not go through with this kind of training.

6. Darth_Stern

Darth_Stern Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2003
    I think the seperation is used a plot device to show the longing and attachment that dwells in Anakins heart. That not only has he not let go of his mother, but of all the feelings associated with her that he transfered to Padme and the time of his life that TPM takes place in. This longing lends to AOTCs "snowball effect" that everything is happening all at once and too fast. If Anakin had time to deal with the misplaced feelings of attachment he had for Padme, and had grown a healthy friendship with her, things would have been very different between them and the rest of the galaxy.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.