main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Thematically, the PT is About Palpatine

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by enigmaticjedi, Oct 11, 2015.

1. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    The PT parallels the OT. The OT is about the revelation that Darth Vader is Luke's father and its consequences. The PT is about the revelation that Palpatine is Darth Sidious and its consequences.

OT
    ANH: Luke knows Vader killed Ben and "his father", but does not know who Vader really is yet.
    TESB: Vader reveals that he is Luke's father. Luke doesn't believe it.
    ROTJ: When Yoda confirms this revelation to Luke, the consequences seal the Emperor's fate

PT
    TPM: The Jedi know Maul was a Sith, but they don't know who the Sith Master is yet.
    AOTC: Dooku reveals that Palpatine is the Sith lord. The Jedi don't believe it.
    ROTS: When Palpatine confirms this revelation to Anakin, the consequences seal the Jedi's fate.

2. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Wow, cool parallels! I never realized these existed. Though I guess using that logic, Anakin is the main character of the OT because the big reveal is focused on him.

enigmaticjedi likes this.
  3. enigmaticjedi

Nov 2, 2011
    Thanks! The idea came to me when I was looking at a SW Ring Theory page.

It depends on how you define "main character."

Luke is the main character of the OT in terms of the narrative in that the films primarily focus on his journey.

Anakin/Vader is the main character of the OT in terms of the theme in that the films are centered around that hidden revelation and its consequences.

4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Dooku reveals that a Sith Lord name Darth Sidious is in or gaining control of most of the Senate not that it's Palpatine.

The basic idea of an offer of power from Dooku to Obi-Wan is connected to Vader's offer of power to Luke.

Alienware likes this.
  5. enigmaticjedi

Nov 2, 2011
    I see what you are saying. However, while Dooku does not say Palpatine directly, he does say "What if I told you the Republic is under the control of the dark lord of the Sith?"

Dooku used a trick from Pirates of the Caribbean, believe it or not: He knew they would never believe the truth even if he told it to them.

In ROTS, the Jedi are suspicious of Palpatine, most likely because of this revelation, but they need proof.

Besides, it makes the parallel look stronger.

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes they are but not because they think he is a Sith Lord but more as above that he may be under the control of one.

7. enigmaticjedi

Nov 2, 2011

When Anakin tells Mace Windu who Palpatine really is, Mace said, "Then our worst fears have been realized."

They knew it was a possibility, but they hoped it was not the case.

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Interesting parallels.

Now that I think about it, that makes sense. A lot of people will say the underlying theme is about Father and son, or about war and peace, or good vs. evil.

:-B In the words of Tia Dalma: "Same story, different versions, and ALL are TRUE!"

But now that you mention it, I think I like this theme the best.

9. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    Funny, I went in thinking something along these lines back when TPM first came out. I assumed the PT was going to be about how the Emperor became the Emperor and how Anakin turned into Darth Vader. So 10 year old me sat back and saw how the Emperor was a shadowy Sith Lord who got some greedy guys with an army to invade his planet so he could become "president" and begin taking over the galaxy. Just how did I get exactly what was happening and other people didn't? I wasn't particularly smart and I got bored pretty easily, so how come I enjoyed and understood a movie that people still say is "boring and confusing"?

To me, "PT=Bad Guys Win so they're probably going to be the focus" just seemed obvious from the get-go.

10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Great work. It is true that the CT is structured around Darth Vader. Although Palpatine is the archvillain, Vader is the main antagonist, and he's just as important as the protagonists. Similarly, Sidious Palpatine is the central problem of the PT. He's the primary antagonist and plot propeller. Vader is the central problem as a powerful servant of his master until he changes in the end, and Sidious is the central problem and behind-the-scenes manipulator of the PT.

enigmaticjedi likes this.
  11. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I find this theory a little too narrow to accept. We're to limit the themes of both trilogies to the villains?

KenW likes this.