main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Themes and story arcs you wish were explored more

Discussion in 'Literature' started by godisawesome , Sep 13, 2012.

1. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Some general history on the Chiss & the Ascendancy, and a more detailed history of the Empire of the Hand, including its collapse/dissolution/disbanding/whatever during NJO and subsequent resurgence in FotJ.
    Also, Cem Fel.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Ooh, Sienar's Eleven! Sequel to Scoundrels, obviously.

3. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Kapp Dendo and Judder Page. More. Now. Get on it.

CeiranHarmony and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree 100%. The Droids TV series was like this. While this was a kids TV show, I think it probably gave more of a real picture of what life in the galaxy was like for the majority of it's inhabitants. No Jedi or Sith and absolutely no signs of the force, small Imperial outposts and individuals or small groups taking rebellion against gangsters or the Empire into their own hands. I'm guessing that Han Solo's viewpoint on the force in the original movie was probably pretty common for most people. Even Luke had never heard of it before he met Ben. Probably most had never even seen a Jedi or knew much about them. It would be nice to have more stories about people who know nothing about the force and who are not leading members of either the Rebel Alliance or the Empire.

Gorefiend likes this.
  5. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I remember Obi-Wan stated during the battle of Jabiim that most people in the galaxy had never seen a Jedi. So I definitely agree the majority would have a few similar to Han's. That the Jedi was just some "hokey religion" that they'd only ever heard rumors of here and there.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    A story about Kitster from the Episode I Adventures, dealing with him and his father issues.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Since it is the most important day of the year. [​IMG] I demand a contention of the Crossbones Comics into the Imperial era.

8. AirNeeva

AirNeeva Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2012
    Hapes NOT from Tenel Ka's view.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The adventures of Plif, Hoojib Senator at Large (lol).

More space opera, since we haven't really seen any since Mindor... >.>

dewback_rancher and Esg like this.
  10. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    Death Star Plans! We've never seen a concise history at all!

Seriously, though, I'd like a "Tales from" compilation focusing around the Vong War/NJO-Legacy era in general telling stories from the side characters POV.

CeiranHarmony, Kuag and Zeta1127 like this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This!

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I would so be up for that.

Gorefiend likes this.
  13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    In addition to non-force sensitives, more FSs who aren't jedi or sith.

I would also like to see the jedi trusted more. Early EU implies the jedi were almost universally trusted do to their wisdom, impartiality, and heroism, but now everyone distrusts them, often to utterly irrational degrees.

Exploration, either historical or of the Unknown Regions. In particular, I would like to see the hows and whys of joining the republic.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    Obi-Wan was quoted in Truce at Bakura as once saying to Luke that the Force is compatible with all religions, so I'd like to see that aspect explored - the various personal religious/spiritual beliefs of individual Jedi/Dark Jedi/Sith. It makes sense that you'd have a diverse range on metaphysical matters amongst Force-users, as many would take their beliefs with them once joining one of the many Force traditions, and not just become generic nontheists with faith in the Force and nothing but the Force.

Also, I'd like to see Sith who actually have redeemable qualities, who have actual good intentions even though they follow the dark side, who aren't pure evil just for the sake of being evil. I'd like to see Sith who are willing and able to feel emotions such as pity, remorse, and love and aren't afraid to show that to others.

And finally, I'd like to see more TOTJ-styled Sith developed and explored. The "new school" Sith are generic and lame.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't think any Jedi could be characterised as a "generic nontheist". By my estimation, the "default" is fairly panentheistic.

16. Lando Carmello

Lando Carmello Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Deal with Thrawn's assasination.

a) Palps was behind it
    b) Nom Anor or some other YV agent was behind it.

17. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I wish I could "like" this more than once.

18. Lando Carmello

Lando Carmello Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    By the way am i the only one who would love a story about alien pilots overcoming discriminationin the Empire. I would love to see Tie Fighter: some sort of Tuskegee Airmen in SW story from Stackpole.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That is an amazing idea

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    My God, it is.

Speaking of Thrawn's death, I'd love a story dealing with Rukh's (ultimately unsuccessful, I hope) efforts to escape the ship after he's done the deed. He would need to die in it, I think, but it could still be totally awesome.

Esg likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the clone of the Major (whatever his name is) in the HoT duology told us what happened but a story from Rukh's perspective would be cool

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I knew I'd heard some vague detail somewhere. But I'd love a whole story about it.

23. Mayla

Mayla Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes to more of these interesting Sith characters. Malgus was pretty refreshing, in that respect, but the little snatches I've heard about other Sith--eg. Darth Gravid--suggest he wasn't necessarily (completely) one-of-a-kind. And Gravid was after the Rule of Two, even, FWIC.

I want to see more about the non-Jedi. Not necessarily the big fringe groups either.

I think that was partly why I found Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter so interesting: one of the major characters is essentially just a regular guy. I'd like to see more of that kind of thing.

And I definitely agree with MercenaryAce that it would be interesting to see a few Force-sensitives who aren't on either "side". I remember reading a fanfic in which this FS guy basically decided to figure things out on his own, which was a nice take on things. (He really didn't figure out very much, but I think that helped keep it from becoming too unrealistic.)

24. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I would love to see more explored with the YV. As a whole it seems as though the galaxy has largely forgotten about that whole era in general. I also would like to see what our current galaxy has done as precaution measures should something like that happen again. You don;t just go through a crisis like that, and then not come up with a game plan for future issues.

I think it would be interesting to have more novels centered around military characters that are not placed during the Clone Wars era. Perhaps even a little bit of a murder mystery type style to it. You could bring in other types of characters including Jedi to give more of a "star wars" feel, but this is a genre I would love to see get some love rather than be a random side plot of other books.

I also think it would be intriguing to have characters born of Jedi, but they themselves are unattuned to the force, and try and learn how to cope with that. It would provide a unique voice for others who cannot become Jedi, but still have something to offer to the galaxy.

I would love to see a legit and realistic redemption story again. It feels as though the material lately either kills off the villain or has them hide around to be a pesky nuisance for the Jedi later on. It does not even need to be redemption for a character turned sith. I just want a good and hopeful redemption story again.

It would be great to get some short stories of the average jedi helping others out in the galaxy through diplomatic issues, natural disasters, etc. The jedi don't just need to be around for the big villain crisis. Give us some playful adventure.

25. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I completely agree about Shadow Hunter. The parts with Maul were cool, but some of the best parts were of Lorn Pavan just trying to make his way throguh every situation. I'd love to see more of that.

I've always wanted to see some novels on either a random force sensitive, or a force sensitive from one of the other groups. That way we could really see things from that groups point of view for once. Sidious once said (paraphrasing) that a force sensitive on a planet could become a king. I'd like to see a plot dealing with something like that. A regular guy with the Force who doesn't use it to change the galaxy, just his own life. Because I think that's realistic, as in what a lot of people in our world would do if they gained the Force.