main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Theories on TFA : what were you right/wrong about ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CheelBackFromTheDead, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheelBackFromTheDead

CheelBackFromTheDead Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    I loved TFA. Loved it because it surprised me, loved it because it met some of my expectations, loved it because it blew away some of my fears. It's not a perfect movie, and some familiar things about it are maybe too familiar, but I wanted to talk about what we first thought the story and the feel would be.

Even before the first teaser came out, and based on the cast and few infos we had, like the title, we all had our own theories about the movie. I thought we'd share some of the things we got wrong, and some we got right. Let me say first off that I didn't get spoiled, except for the first set pics that leaked. All of this is pre-teaser.

I thought Max Von Sydow would be the Tarkin of TFA. I really pictured him as the main Imperial villain. Couldn't have been more wrong. I knew there would be Imperials though. And I knew just a few lines in the opening crawl would explain it. I knew there weren't gonna be much politics either.

First thought Serkis and Isaac would be buddies, like pirates. Nope.
    First thought Daisy was a Solo girl. Nope.

I had the right impression about Nyong'o' : remote castle, entourage, I was only way off about the character, which I expected to be more intimidating LOL.

Where I was right all along is about Luke. The movie IS about finding him (I thought they'd find him earlier though), and he IS a recluse who gave up at some point. Hamill has zero line, I figured he would have very few and that he would barely interact at all. What's funny is that I suspected that based on what Mark Hamill looked like at the time they signed him. He's gotten back into shape since and it's great, but Abrams and Kasdan still played it safe and I knew it just taking a producer's standpoint.

In other strange theories that turned out to be right, I also knew that Solo would die, and I was only more convinced lately, seeing Ford so happy to promote the movie. Seeing this happy face, I was literally SPOILED. Because I was confirmed Solo died. Because Kasdan and Ford have wanted him dead for 30 years, and that's a well-known fact. These guys had a bounty on him.

I was also right when I believed the Force and the Jedi would mean something again. That the realm of the mystical was back. Such a relief. I knew the Force was gonna be rediscovered slowly, as it should. And sure, there was a robe, but it's NOT BROWN ANYMORE. Phew ! Feeling better by the minute.

I was wrong though when I thought there wouldn't be any dark lord as of yet. Let alone a super baddie like Snoke. I NEVER thought they would do that, as it begs so many questions. Then again, I like how it's been done. But yeah, I pictured Episode VII to have rogue imperial remnants but no dark leader. I thought the trilogy could have been about two Solo kids becoming worst enemies. Not so much.

At last, and most importantly, I never expected this movie to portray such a remarkable female character. Every little scene where Rey has to face men's misogyny is done flawlessly and with humor. I love how all of these scenes inevitably lead to the scene where she grabs the lightsaber, symbol of power, thus shattering the chains of patriarchy and domination of men in lightsaber battles. The way they broke the pattern here is something I never thought they could pull off so brilliantly in a Star Wars movie. I feared they would fail to make an interesting Jedi woman character. I am so humbled and grateful.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Let's see, there are several that I can think of:

- I thought that Rey's lineage would be clearly spelled out
    - I thought that there would be some kind of romance angle (really glad there wasn't)
    - I thought that Luke would have a few lines and I thought that he would actually take the lightsaber from Rey

3. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I felt like there was a pretty strong romance vibe between Finn and Rey. Like it could easily go that direction. Of course, i was also getting a little of that between Finn and Poe (they practically run into each other's arms when they reunite). Though i actually think Finn and Rey had intentional tension.

4. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I didn't get a romantic vibe from Finn and Rey at all which btw I was 100% okay with. Maybe a bit of a school boy Finn's part, let's face he hasn't had many dating choices being a First Order soldier. But that is about it. Again I am fine with it. ANH didn't have any real romance outside of Luke and Han both kind of having the hots for Leia but not really admitting it. I got more of a brother/sister vibe at many times between Finn and Rey which again I thought worked great. I love when they acted like Star Wars fanboy and fangirl on the Falcon after the Jakku escape.

I actually him not taking the Bespin saber worked in the sense, the ending was supposed to be about Luke deciding whether or not he wants to accepts his destiny. Rey already accepted it. It's a twist the spoilers were clueless on. But I much preferred had there been no Bespin saber, no symbolic awakening and simply the New Hope (Rey) bringing hope to the Old Hope (Luke) in the form of the long lost daughter.

5. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Glad no saber in space to start movie. Glad Snoke was a hologram and not 25ft tall. Sad to see Han go but figured it was his time. Next up is Leia then Luke?

What happened to Kylo Ren playing an X-Wing pilot?

6. GeneralOrgana

GeneralOrgana Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I thought Luke would be working with Leia and Han. I didn't anticipate the separation of the 3, honestly.

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.