main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Theory: Kylo and Rey are siblings, and Kylo spared her as a little girl.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Mind_Trix, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Mind_Trix

Jedi_Mind_Trix Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    http://collider.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-kylo-ren-scene-jj-abrams/

In this article Kasdan pseudo-confirms that Kylo and his knights killed everyone at the Jedi Temple. I know we had Rey's vision that heavily implied this, but now we have pretty much confirmed it.

This leads me to wonder: what if Rey was training with Kylo at the Jedi Temple, and after he turned to the dark side and commited this massacre, he spared only his sister? What if HE was the one who put her on Jakku?

This makes sense in a number of ways: 1. She would have seen the killings of everyone at the temple, leading to some sort of memory repression due to trauma. 2. When Maz tells her that her family is never coming back, this is what she implies. Kylo left her on Jakku for safe-keeping, and is not coming back for her. 3. This explains why Han didn't recognize her as his daughter and had no idea she was on Jakku: he thought that Kylo killed her too during the massacre at the Jedi Temple. 4. This is why Kylo gets so pissed when the officer says the droid escaped with a girl. I believe the line is "what girl?" If it was some random girl, why the hell would he care? He knew she was on Jakku because he left her there. And he was pissed that his sister, whom he had left for safe-keeping, had gotten herself involved. This also explains why Kylo didn't kill her during the duel. And why he lost. He couldn't kill his sister.

2. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    That is my fervently hoped for theory. I so want her to be Han and Leia's lost little girl whom they believed dead. [face_praying]

ElizaD, Revyl Ren, D'an and 3 others like this.
  3. Ord'ika

Ord'ika Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    This adds a little more depth as to why Rey was able to hold her own against someone with a lot more training. The injuries, and the hesitation to kill the one person he would rebel against Snoke for. Maybe he felt abandoned by his parents and Rey was really the only one he directly had in his day to day life.

Revyl Ren likes this.
  4. ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2014
    I doubt it, but it would be a kick ass story. Only sticking point, with me, is I want the hero to be a Skywalker in name and blood.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  5. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    This theory can go either way she can be Kylo's sister or Lukes daughter.

6. Nando brasil

Nando brasil Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 27, 2014
  7. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    I would like her to be Kylo's sister because (a) it would be more kick ass if there's an epic showdown between siblings. (It's not so epic sounding when it's cousins) and (b) because Han died by Kylo Ren's hand, it would redeem Han and Leia's romance (to me, at least) only if they had a 'good' child who brought balance back to the Force.

8. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Cousins. No way would Han/Leia not say something otherwise.

9. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Rey being a Solo makes Han and Leia guilty of neglect and abuse, even in absentia.

10. mute90

mute90 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    Cousin or sister would work with this theory. The reason I lean more toward cousin is because of the Leia/Han conversation. Leia makes it sound like he can just switch back and he just needs his father to talk him through it. In that conversation, I'd expect there to be some hesitance from Leia if her son already killed her daughter or for Han to at least say something suggestive like "you know what he did." There's no loaded moment there, so I find it hard to believe they had a daughter die tragically at the hands of her brother.

If she was Luke's, it makes it more understandable that he would retreat from the world after her 'death.' Han mentioned that Luke tried bringing Kylo back. Yet, Rey's vision shows no fight. So, I'm wondering if Luke trying to get through to him led to Kylo distracting/entrapping/incapacitating him while the Knights went on a rampage of the temple. His daughter 'dies' because of his hesitance.

Either way, I agree it makes the most sense that a dark Kylo would leave her on a rather hopeless planet all alone while she screamed for him to come back. I can't imagine Luke/Leia/Han doing that.

11. Sparkaces

Sparkaces Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    Kylo Ren would of had to have been 15 years old and Rey 5 if he would have been the one that took her to Jakku. Do you think Ren would have been that powerful at that age? Would he have already known the Knights of Ren and Snoke?

12. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I actually really dig the OP's theory, it actually has clicked a few things into place that were nagging at me since seeing the movie.

But I really don't see too big of an age gap between Kylo and Rey. Am I just that bad at guessing ages? Cause in my head, Kylo's maybe 3-4 years older TOPS.

13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    What if she was kidnapped and abandoned on Jakku?

14. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Thanks, I know what I shall be getting myself for Christmas!

15. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015

I can definitely buy Kylo having spared Rey at the academy, though I still don't think she's his sister (I'm firmly in the cousin camp).

Kylo being the one to spare Rey makes sense on various levels. In the vision, we see Kylo approaching adult!Rey in the rain - since it's all trippy and stylised, it's not unreasonable to propose that that's actually a distorted memory. There could have been a tiny Rey, cowering amongst the bodies, terrified as she looks up and sees a masked figure approaching with his lightsaber. When faced with an innocent little child, I can see Kylo having a crisis of faith and indulging his 'weakness' by sparing her. In order to try and cover up the evidence of this 'weakness', I also find it plausible that he would take her to Jakku, distort her memories, and take off in the hope that he would never have to see her again.

Perhaps the main thing that this explains is Kylo's prior familiarity with Rey, and in particular his violent reaction to hearing that a girl from Jakku is involved with BB8. He is clearly aware of a girl on Jakku, and that means he either needs to a.) have been told that Rey was there; or b.) left Rey there himself.

11-4D, DD-1110, Trikuza23 and 2 others like this.
  16. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    It's possible they thought she was dead. How could they be guilty of abuse if they don't know she's alive?

CairnsTony likes this.
  17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Leia didn't know she gave birth to twins - sinister plan at the hospital.....

Radjedi likes this.
  18. Jedi_Mind_Trix

Dec 20, 2015
    What if he was 17 and she was 9? That way in the movie he would be 27 and she would be 19. That would make sense.

7starlight and Dra--- like this.
  19. Jedi_Mind_Trix

Dec 20, 2015
    In my theory I'm thinking Han and Leia thought she died at the temple by Kylos hand. Which is why they don't mention her. Too traumatic.

20. Sparkaces

Sparkaces Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    Yeah, I think Kylo is bout 10 years older than Rey but it doesn't look like it in the movie

21. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Leia would not have stopped searching for Rey if she were her mother and she'd been kidnapped, and it wouldn't have taken them 14 years to be reunited because of the presence of Lor San Tekka on Jakku.

Furthermore, Han would've behaved infinitely different around Rey, Ben, and Leia if Rey were a Solo, even if he hadn't seen Rey in 14 years.

Rey is not a Solo, and the film makes it about as clear as is possible without stating her last name.

7starlight and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  22. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    You actually see Kylo killing a KoR in the vision I believe. We see him saving Rey (who I would suggest is his cousin - I think if she was a Solo they needed to deal with that in TFA) right in TFA imo.

23. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I think we see here Luke's wife (the new Mara Jade) together with young Kylo. She has Luke's green lightsaber.
    Rey + Kylo as siblings make no sense, the novel + twitter comments confirmed that Kylo is 29-30 (directly born after ROTJ) and Rey is 19, so a 10-11 years age difference. They are cousins and Kylo killed Luke's wife and Rey's mother. ;)

24. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
    I agree that neither Han nor Leia would ever stop searching for their daughter if they believed her to be alive, which is why in my head canon I am embracing the theory that they believe she was killed. But I don't believe the film states so clearly that Rey is not their daughter. For one thing, her preternatural ability to fly the Falcon and finish Han's sentences. For another, someone mentioned Leia's ring has 2 stones in it which could signify 2 children. Also, Kylo Ren is so incensed about the "girl". I can see him getting enraged over a sister. A cousin, not so much. Of course, there are also clues that point to her being Luke's daughter, i.e. what Maz says to her that she'll never find what she's looking for but Luke can still be found, and how Luke's lightsaber calls to her. And the Force ability (although Leia was the child of Anakin, too, and she has some latent Force abilities of her own). While I hope she's Han and Leia's, I can see the argument that she's Luke's. But I don't believe it's so firmly stated that she belongs to either one. I think the screenwriters did this deliberately to drive us all crazy.

DD-1110, Sarge and MattOrgana like this.
  25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Like is said in the Rey TFA thead, we were never meant to be told who Rey's parents are just yet, but to the hardcore fans it's more than obvious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.