main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Theory: Kylo and Rey are siblings, and Kylo spared her as a little girl.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Mind_Trix, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    That's a good theory, it also explains why Han wanted Rey off the MF before he gets to know her, then tries to get her to stay on as a crew member, but in a different manner and side we never have seen Solo in when it comes to his ship. There is also that slide between Han and Leia where it really seems there was something else he wanted to say to Leia after he talked about their son. Plus there is that hug moment near the end.

LadyPadme, MattOrgana and Sarge like this.
  2. KendallJedi

KendallJedi Jedi Master

Jul 27, 2002
    I
    I think she is a Solo for several reasons - familiarity with the Falcon, great pilot, continues the relationship with Chewie... A lot of people are wanting her to be a Skywalker, and like Yoda said the force is strong in your family. What many seem to miss is that she is a Skywalker - Leia is a Skywalker along with Luke, and with all the duplicity that Lucas has employed throughout the Star Wars stories another set of siblings would make sense. One known and one unknown. In ANH nobody suspected Luke and Leia were related nor that Vader was the father. Now with what we know everyone is looking for it and trying to guess. If you watched the series in order we all would have known that Luke and Leia were from Anakin/Vader because of Padme.

MattOrgana, ElizaD and Sarge like this.
  3. Darth Datsyukian

Darth Datsyukian Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    I don't know what to think about this, and I love it! I love the guessing game. Part of me thinks that Rey is a Solo, hidden away by Kylo not wanting to cause harm to her. But part of me thinks that she is Luke's daughter. Another interesting theory is that Rey is the granddaughter of Obi Wan (she has an accent). What if Luke somehow met Obi Wan's daughter and they ended up having Rey? Then Kylo kills Obi Wan's daughter but could not allow himself to cause harm to Rey?

One thing for sure is that Kylo knows who Rey is by the end of the movie. I cannot wait until episode 8 so that we can find out more.

4. jetsdude8

jetsdude8 Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    Is there a possibility she's a Kenobi? Why does Obi Wan call her name in the flashback? Why not Yoda? or Mace? etc.

5. nalkwan

nalkwan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2014
    My feelings are this. Kylo was originally gonna be Luke's kid, back when Luke was the center of the piece instead of han
    when arndt was writing it, probably would have died similarily, (nice echo to rotj if luke threw his lightsaber away to confront kylo)
    and rey would have been han and leia's.
    i think they switched them when they put han in the lead and hid Mark. And changed Rey's origins and character

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    According to the novel it apparently was:

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2015...-awakens-take-a-look-at-the-novelization.html

There is an emotional moment for Han when he calls to his son for the first time, asking him to take off his Kylo Ren-visage, and he sees the son he knew as a grown man for the first time. This passage backs up a statement made earlier in the book, that the destruction of Luke’s Jedi training academy or school occurred approximately twenty-years prior to TFA.

I would have thought that as well. More like 15 years earlier so he could be 15 but if the above is accurate then he'd be about 10 at the time of the new Jedi's destruction.

Again this is from the novel not the movie but one would assume they canon-wise kept it in synch.

7. nalkwan

Jul 23, 2014

there is no way a 10 year old destroys lukes jedi academy. and certainly no way Luke gives up on a 10 year old kid. even at 15 it's a bit of a stretch. but 20+ yes. I don't care what the book says, never have never will for movie adaptations.

8. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    no they are not siblings does not work no matter how many convoluted ways you think of

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well it would presumably be Snoke and the Knights of Ren. Ben helped in some way but that doesn't mean he did any killing himself.

Again all I am saying is that Ren is obviously at the most 30. The novel says the massacre was 20 years ago. So Ben was about 10.

There is an emotional moment for Han when he calls to his son for the first time, asking him to take off his Kylo Ren-visage, and he sees the son he knew as a grown man for the first time.

This is the first time Han has seen the face of his son as a grown man. So that last time he was quite young.

So if that is correct plus Rey is 19 then even with a bit of give then at best Rey is only weeks or at most months old (if she was there at all).

10. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I would like Kylo and Rey to be siblings but I really don't like Han finding his lost ship carrying a girl who would be around his lost daughter's age and him not addressing any suspicions about who she is- especially if he's meeting back up with Leia for the first time in years( our son is gone, but I think I may have found our daughter ). I also think Maz would have shed some light on the subject when looking into Han and Rey's eyes. I think a couple that lost both kids- even if one turned to the dark side- would say: "we lost our children", not "we lost our son" like they did in this film. I also don't think that Rey is related to Luke because there's no way that Leia wouldn't be able to recognize her own niece through the Force.
    Rey is the next chosen one- born of the Force. She was probably born around the time that Snoke managed to come back to life( whoever he originally was ). So, the Force created another chosen one like it did to balance out Plagueis' achievements. Kylo didn't spare her at the academy slaughter, I think he tried to kill her but her natural Force abilities stopped him, or at least helped her run away. That's why Kylo is afraid he won't match Vader's potential, because he came face to face with a little girl who shut him down after he murdered a bunch of Jedi. That's also why Kylo says the line: "you're just a scavenger?" He's shocked that that girl never became anything more. I think Luke finds her alive after the massacre and takes her to Jakku because she can remain hidden there. It's not a great place to live but the aftermath of the Battle of Jakku probably left a stain in the Force similar to the Degobah cave that helped Yoda stay hidden for so long. Rey instinctively knows the Falcon the way that Anakin instinctively knew how to fly and build almost anything( that and all her scavenger experience- which is pretty much the same job Anakin had when we first met him ).

11. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Whether this is feasible or not, age-wise, I'm looking forward to seeing it again with this new theory planted in my head. Between the "What girl?!" moment, the weird familiarity vibe you sense him projecting during her interrogation, and - if I remember correctly - the fact that while she's unconscious before her interrogation, he's just sitting there staring at her; looking all the while like his gears are turning (as opposed to immediately attempting to introduce fear into the equation).

Granted, this all works even if she were "only" a cousin; he would still feel threatened (both in terms of bodily harm AND potentially being rendered obsolete) if THE Skywalker descendant were still alive. It wouldn't even matter how old she was in this instance, either.

How awesome that we're having these conversations. I'm so damn happy Star Wars is back. :)

12. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I suppose anything is possible.

MattOrgana likes this.
  13. Radjedi

Radjedi Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2015
    There's no way Leia could think Rey was dead. Remember, we saw Leia sense Han's death, Yoda sense Order 66/Mace Windu's death, etc etc. There's no possible way Leia didn't feel the moment of her daughter's passing, and that's too large a contradictory plot hole for JJ Abrams/Kasdan to have overlooked it. Even Luke would have known his niece passing and/or a powerful Force user (albeit a young one) dying. I simply don't think Abrams/Kasdan forget that.

That means one would have to assume that Han/Leia meet Rey throughout the movie knowing their identically aged daughter is alive and they stashed her away on Jakku, or less likely told someone to hide their only daughter for them without revealing the location (how is it supposed to make her safer to be away from her parents and the Resistance/Republic army?). Gimme a break, it would make all of Han/Leia/Rey's scenes in TFA unwatchable if it was later revealed Han and Leia knew all along they had a Force sensitive daughter somewhere out there Rey's age.

Also, remember the slaughtered younglings in Episode III don't become Force ghosts with no body. So that means Han and Leia thought their daughter was dead with no body found among the Knights of Ren carnage??? No way.

Kylo kidnapping her and dumping her off somewhere makes some sense, I guess, but if that had happened it'd be weird for Luke not to be out there looking for her. It would make Luke look like a really terrible father if he just became a hermit and wasn't searching ceaselessly for his kidnapped daughter.

nalkwan likes this.
  14. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Kylo could also be jealous that she is "Daddy's little girl".

nalkwan likes this.
  15. nalkwan

Jul 23, 2014
    that's why Rey being his cousin makes so much more sense. Kylo is already super insecure and wanting the legacy of darth vader sooooo badly, to have Luke's kid show up would just put him over the edge.
    he knows there's a challenger for the legacy crown.
    It would equally tick him off the more she's like Luke and refuses the dark side.

dragonchic likes this.
  16. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015

Yeah, this is why I don't think a sibling conflict is inherently "better" or more dramatic than a conflict between two sides of Anakin's lineage. Luke's daughter would represent a serious threat to what Kylo sees as his birthright and could play a major role in his path to the Dark Side. And you also can't say that a battle between Skywalker descendants is automatically more compelling than a conflict between the Skywalker heir apparent - who thinks he's entitled to power based on his bloodline - and an unrelated girl who rises up from nothing to become the spiritual successor to the Skywalker legacy on the basis of merit. There's an interesting story to be told in any of those scenarios, if people are willing to be open-minded.

nalkwan likes this.
  17. SpaceLord2014

SpaceLord2014 Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2014
    Based on my take on the movie I would rule out her being Han and Leia's kid for one reason alone and that is the fact that they want to save him and I can't for the life of me think that they would be that forgiving if they thought he had killed his younger sister.

Then there is the interrogation scene in which Kylo speaks about her dreaming about oceans and islands (can't remember the exact wording) but it did remind me of Luke location at the end so to me it seems that they have some sort of force connection at least.

I would also think that she was abandoned on Jakkuu by Kylo in a moment of weakness, lets face it, that was not a nice guy to be left with. So Luke probably thought she was dead and I guess if she was Han and Leia's I still don't buy their willingness to forgive him or even think that Han could bring him back if he was so into the darkside that he killed his own sister.

nightangel likes this.
  18. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I have not seen such a passage in the book. There is no reference to the exact timing of the events. But, for Rey to be there, it should have been less than 20 years ago.

Unless the vision in the movie is chronological and shows the temple destroyed, and afterwards te first meeting between Kylo and Rey, when he is older.

Would a 16 year old Kylo look like in TFA in the vision?

nalkwan likes this.
  19. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I have a few problems with the Kylo sparing Rey theory. First, the whole reason he killed his father was to purge himself of any more of the light. Still caring for Rey would null that. Second, if, in the flashback, he really did kill another Knight, none of the others even reacted. No surprise, anger, or anything. They just calmly looked around like everything went as planned. Did they all want Rey spared and the other killed? Finally, maybe it was just my point of view, but Kylo didn't seem to act like he had any feelings about her. First, he was curious about a girl helping the droid escape. Then he was interested in learning she knew about the map. Finally, when he learned she had the Force, he saw her as a possible student.

My theory is that the one killed was Rey's mother, who hid Rey and then turned on Kylo to buy time. The others knew this, which is why none of them even shrugged when Kylo struck her down. Someone else (maybe Luke or someone helping Luke) then brought her to Jakku to keep her safe.

I might be way off, I'm open to that. This theory just makes more sense to me than Kylo caring about and sparing her.

20. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    I asked Pablo Hildalgo via Twitter when did the academy attack happened. This was his answer:

"Let's not call it a 'Jedi Academy.' But it wasn't that long ago. Timeline will be told through stories, not tweets. :)"

Force22 and dragonchic like this.
  21. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Sorry, I should add that the question was if the attack happened 14-15 years before TFA.

nalkwan and fuhry like this.
  22. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    So I've only seen the film twice (I know, I know...I'm way behind) but I too thought that either Kylo or Snoke dropped Rey off. Can anyone remember what the ship that flew off Jakku with young Rey looking at it looked like? On first viewing, it looked to me like the stormtrooper landing craft from the beginning of the film.

23. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

It was a random spacecraft...didn't look like a First Order ship

24. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Han was frozen in carbonite and maybe the Force was frozen in obliviate-onite. they both came out of the long sleep. Han had hibernation sickness; Rey has (I have not seen this thing yet but I'm sure someone can point at some form of disorientation). Han was frozen in motion for safe keeping, a prize possession. Rey was frozen in knowledge for safe keeping, a long-term investment.

25. otakuon

otakuon Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2015
    My take on this is as follow:

Ben Solo is around 10 years older than Rey. Whether or not they are siblings, cousins or have no relation is something I think could go either way. I do believe that both Ben and Rey were at Luke's academy together and were there at the time it was attacked by the Knights of Ren. I think Snoke lead this attack seeking to prevent the Jedi from rising again. In Rey's vision, Kylo Ren was represented by his adult form, although he was a child at the time (at best a teenager). He probably did defend her against an attacking Knight of Ren. Snoke witnessed this, and assessing his power AND his conflict with the Light and Dark Side (and his connection to Anakin/Vader) choose to kidnap him instead of kill him like he did the others. Incidentally, I think Snoke's injuries were received during this attack, either inflicted by Luke or perhaps even Ben. The Scar that Rey gave Kylo Ren during their duel seems to in part be a reflection of the scar Snoke has on his face. Luke was able to rescue Rey and only Rey and took her to Jakku for safe keeping with Lor San Tekka looking out for her. Either Rey repressed these early memories or Luke used the force to hide them from her.
    From Rey's vision, it would appear that everything she saw was presented in chronological order. Which using that assumption would mean the attack happened before she was left on Jakku.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.