main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Theory: Kylo and Rey have met before

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by nonesuch, Jan 24, 2016.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Sure, I see why it's possible, if you look at it that way (and it could make for an interesting backstory), although I was thinking more like actual elements in the movie that could support it; like how the "Rey is Luke's daughter" theory can point to the lightsaber calling to her specifically as evidence for its position. I've seen the movie a couple of times and I never say anything that lead me to believe that Kylo Ren had been the one to leave Rey on Jakku, so I'm really curious what I missed that others picked up on.

(I'm frankly skeptical of the theory though, since the canonical jr. novelization establishes that Rey has a recurring -- possibly Force-induced -- dream about being left on Jakku. In it, she specifically hears someone telling her: "Stay here. I'll comeback for you, sweetheart. I promise" [p. 35]. Reading a bit between the lines, I'm thinking that -- unless the Powers That Be retcon the novelization or declare that scene non-canon -- that the speaker was one of her parents or legal guardian. I think it's also safe to say that whoever did leave her did sincerely care for her and would have come back if they had be able to.

At any rate, I can't imagine Kylo Ren saying something like: "Stay here. I'll comeback for you, sweetheart. I promise" -- even if the thought of hearing him say that through his helmet's apparatus is pretty funny.)

2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I've seen the movie ten times at the theater and this is what I felt happened. Rey's Force vision demonstrates most of my theory, in fact. It took at least three viewings to dissect the Force Vision, and I'm pretty sure this is how it went.

The Knights of Ren slaughter the Jedi students. One of them attempts to end the very young Rey's life too, but Kylo steps in and kills his colleague before that happens. He reaches over to take Rey by the hand, and the next scene shows her being handed over to Unkar Plutt and being left on Jakku. Although the scene with Luke and Artoo seems like it should be after the slaughter and not before, the vision is sort of a twisted memory of not what Rey only remembered, but what she felt at the time, as well. Luke's part in the vision somewhat tells me that he wasn't there when the attack happened, and that when he arrived to help his friends he had come too late. The fire blazing in front of him signifies (to me, that is) that his students' bodies might have been burning in a pile, and that he probably surmised that his wife and daughter were piled within it, too. Thinking that his wife, child, and all his students had perished in the attack, Luke decides to go into hiding.

Besides the dream, there's the fact that when Ren realized that a girl on Jakku had been involved with the theft of the freighter that was being pursued, he went spastic. Even though I think that he might have spared this girl's life years ago, I have the gut feeling that he really doesn't know that she is his cousin. Leia, I suspect, might have known who she was the moment she came off the Falcon. Hence the reason why Leia approached Rey the moment she saw her. When Rey finally found Luke on Ach-To, it convinced me that Luke was surprised to see his daughter was still alive, and that Rey finally remembered everything that had happened and knew he was her father.

To add to this, although it's mostly a theory in my head, it's probably a good guess to think that Han and Leia had seperated before Rey was born — probably because of what happened to their son Ben. I'm guessing Ben was taken in by Snoke because Luke felt his nephew wasn't quite ready to learn the Force just yet. Han probably agreed, but Leia gave in and allowed her whiny son to train with a supposedly trustworthy Jedi Master named Snoke.

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Okay, I see how that could work. The big question I would have is why Kylo Ren chose to spare Rey; he just finished killing a bunch of innocent people. Why would he suddenly get squemish about killing a little girl (especially if he doesn't think that she's a family member)? If they go that route, I hope they have a good explanation in mind.

4. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Beyond that as well if Kylo saves Rey why does he then leave her with a heartless junk dealer on Jakku?

Honestly my feeling is that Abrams and co didn't really have any "plan" for Rey at all, rather I think ala Lost he came up with a mysterious situation that means the need for exposition is lessened by fan speculation.

5. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    nevermind - link to pic not working

6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm guessing it's a weakness of his, killing a child...probably the only child that was present at the school too. We all know he struggled with devoting himself to the dark side, and it's probably the first time he didn't fully commit, and why his master refused to fully train him.