main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

theory on characters' deaths (DJ spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NikeSkylark, Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    okay. i've been really sick lately and have been spending a lot of time just laying in bed thinking... about star wars of course :D

last night i came up with a REALLY good theory that justifies chewie's, master ikrit's, and anakin's deaths and don't make them pointless

okay. the first part of the theory starts when i first picked up NJO... WAY back when vector prime and the dark tide duology came out. i came up with the theory WAY back then that it would be jaina that discovers the true nature of the force. 'why would that be nike???' you might ask. 'could it be becoz she's your favorite character???' nope. she wasn't my favorite character at the time. tenel ka was. i thought it would be jaina becoz anakin basically spent all those books (and all the books after that) arguing about the true nature of the force and jaina always either stayed out of it or tried to get her brothers to stop arguing. so i thought it would make perfect sense for HER and not either of her brothers to come up with the answers.

okay... here's when those dark journey spoilers come in. there is this scene in dark journey where jaina and kyp are talking and jaina is saying to kyp that anakin was getting close to figuring out the nature of the force and that when he died the jedi lost something they could never get back. another thing i got out of this scene is that jaina has been prompted to pick up where anakin left off. i also think a big part of finding the nature of the force is to understand both the light and dark sides. jaina's brush with the dark side in star by star and dark journey makes her even more likely to find the nature of the force her brothers were/are looking for.

what prompted her to think about the true nature of the force??? what caused her to have that brush with the dark side??? anakin's death

okay... now here's where chewie's and master ikrit's deaths come in. why didn't anakin die way back in vector prime instead of chewie??? why did master ikrit risk his life and die protecting anakin in conquest??? why did both these people have to die to keep anakin alive if he was just gonna die in star by star anyways??? simple: they died to keep him alive JUST long enough to START to figure out the true nature of the force and then die to prompt his sister into finding out for herself and to sorta go over to the dark side to figure out that side of the force.

wow... that's some deep thinking.

~NiKe SKyLaRK~

2. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    wow. thats the first theory ive seen like that. it could be very possible. and it makes perfect sense too. not many of those out there

hope your feeling better.

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    "You know, you Irish cops are perking up. That's two sound theories in one day, neither of which deal with abnormally sized men. Kind of makes me feel like Riverdancing."

Willem Dafoe as Agent Smecker in Boondock Saints :)

Very sound theory

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Nike -- good theory, with perhaps one possible flaw. Since this is supposed to become the "New" Jedi Order, it's likely to stand to reason that the Jedi portrayed as determining this whole new understanding of the Force will be the one who leads the next generation. Jaina has FLAT OUT STATED that it won't be her. Kyp has said the same thing. This leaves Luke, Ben, Jacen, or (wait for it) Anakin as the only viable choices. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I think Luke's said it's not him either. So that leaves Ben, Jacen or Anakin. (Ed. Note: NO Anakin debates -- he's either dead or not, so he's either on the list or not. Period.)

But on the other hand, since I like Nike's theory, given that Jacen and Jaina are twins it would be a FANTASTIC role reversal if Jaina became the introspective one, meditating on her new understanding and providing wisdom to her twin brother who comes out of the NJO books as a "doer" and warrior.

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Hope you feel better soon, Nike. :)

In regards to your theory and what others have posted: Luke Skywalker stated in Conquest, I believe, that he does not believe a new discovery in the Force will be made by himself or Kyp Durron. He claims that the discovery will be made either by Anakin or Jacen.

Now, the events of Star by Star and Dark Journey intervene. Anakin was killed, therefore, the responsibility of the discovery is now left to Jacen.
    However, Jacen was then apprehended by the Yuuzhan Vong. Kyp Durron, in Dark Journey, articulated his theory that with Anakin and Jacen removed from the picture, the responsibility clearly falls on the shoulders of his Jedi "Princess", namely, Jaina.
    Jaina is skeptical, but Kyp is determined in his belief.

6. Skylark

Skylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    I think you're definately on to something, NikeSkylark (by the way, like the user name), because I've been thinking about something very similar myself. I think whoever finds the new understanding of the force is gonna either be Jaina, Jacen or both together. I haven't really thought about Jaina, yet, but your argument is pretty sound, so I'll take it as a possibility. It's just, that, well I'm almost finished SBS, now(I know, I know! I'm behind!!), and reading Anakin's death scene really got me thinking about Jacen's role in the upcoming saga. First of all, understand that the two were indeed reconciled before Anakin's death. There was that scene where Jacen apologizes, something about everyone has their own path, etc. Then, in the actual scene of Anakin's death, he is literally telling Jacen to take his place. He tells Jacen to lead the mission, get the hell out of there with Jaina, and kiss Tahiri for him. In essence, Jacen will sort of become the new Anakin. Maybe he has a ways to go. He needs to stop philosophizing(sp?) all the time, but I truly believe now that Jacen is most definately the hero of NJO and he will probably combine his strengths, with perhaps some qualities of Anakin's and in the future discover something more about the Force. Now, Jaina most certainly will have a role to play in all this. I'm not sure what it is quite yet, but that's the fun of speculating and theorizing on this sort of stuff, isn't it? Oh, and I was going to post this on another thread, but since it ties in with what I said earlier about Jacen taking Anakin's role, I think, eventually, not right away mind you, Jacen may end up with Tahiri. And I know that this thought's going to get a lot of people pissed off and in my face, but I have a wierd feeling, that it might just happen...so I'm probably wrong...I just thought I'd throw that in there.

7. Crazed-Dragoon

Crazed-Dragoon Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2002
    i think tahiri will discover the true nature of the force anakin will somhow tell her it
    as a ghost or in person and tell her...
    or she could just sit around for the rest of njo doing nothing.

jacen? with... tahiri? AHHHHHHH EVIL! HE BETTER NOT OR I WILL HUNT HIM DOWN AND KILL HIM!!!!!

8. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    up

~NiKe SKyLaRK~

9. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    The thing is, no one but Anakin knew what he was on to. How do you pick up where he left off when no one knows exactly what he knew? It took Anakin over a year to get to the point that he was just figuring it out. But what was he figuring out and how do you get back to that point to go on? Only one person knows the answer to that question, and that's Anakin himself.

10. WraithLead

WraithLead Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    I don't think it will be jaina either. I'm not sure on how these things work, but I believe you should at least need to be sort of open to the idea? Jaina seems pretty closed-minded by the end of DJ. I don't think You need to be overly introspective like Jacen was, but Jaina is headed in the wrong direction. That being said, without Anakin, I think that Jacen is the best choice as long as he makes that big leap in character maturity that we all know is necessary. The only trouble with that is this: Once you let it be Jacen again, Anakin's death will be for nothing again. Jacen was already introspective and looking for these things before anakin was killed. I will patiently wait for the Authors to give us their solution to this debate, but these are definitely fun to read. I like the different opinions. I guess I could get used to this whole "posting" thing.

11. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    ?And with absolute certainty, [Jaina] knew that Kyp wrong ? she was not the one. The path to a different understanding of the Force was not her journey to take.?
    -Dark Journey, page 295

In any case, there is no truth to the Dark Side, only lies. Jaina would learn nothing of the true nature of the Force while on the Dark Side.

12. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Even Anakin did not know what exactly he was on to. He cared not for the how and why behind his discoveries; he cared only to use them to the best of his abilities. That was simply the nature of his character.

As for the theory, someone already pointed out what I consider its major flaw. Jaina already admitted that she would not be the one to discover this expanded meaning of the Force.

13. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    "In any case, there is no truth to the Dark Side, only lies."

I beg to differ. If anything, the lightside is just as guilty of deception ahd "lies" as the Dark Side is. All that "Certain point of view" stuff, plus one of the stronger lightside abilities being the ability to alter people's perceptions, erase memories, even create new ones. That's lying if I've ever seen it.

It's just what you do with the lie, or how you lie, that differentiates between the light and the dark. Lying for people's best interest, that's of the lightside. Lying for your own personal gain, that's dark.

JMA

14. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Agreed, JMA.

UP! :)

Jae Angel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.