main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST THEORY - Snoke will be revealed in VIII as...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JorakUln, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    How does a woman pretending to look like someone else trick the entire Imperial remnant, make deals with with people in the Senate and teach the Dark Side trick of mind reading to Kylo Ren but not have him figure her secret out?

Big Boss likes this.
  2. Anleifr

Anleifr Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2015
    well, Kasdan has already said that Rian Johnson's story is "weird" AND JJ and Kasdan were originally wanting to make Snoke a woman. THey ran out of time and was lucky enough to get Sarkis so thay went with Snoke we all saw. They didn't even finish Snoke until Oct. 15!!
    My only downside would be that JJ has said Snoke has been around for a long time implying that he was circa > the PT, possibly ancient sith. However, since nothing was reveled about Snoke in the movie that certainly could be changed.

3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012

Maybe She-Snoke doesn't want anyone to know her real identity. Maybe she wants to appear super scary and intimidating. Maybe this 'trick' is all part of her Force Powers. Deception and hypnotizing. Maybe, like Vader, who wore a super scary mask, she doesn't want anyone to realize that underneath it all is a weaker figure. Perhaps She-Snoke has some connection to Luke (father of Rey) and she doesn't want that connection to get out.

Lots of reasons.

This type of figure is famous in mythology. The role that I was comparing it to was Mogan Le Fay, from King Arthur. She was a witch, who could change her shape, deceived people, manipulate people. She tried many times to trick King Arthur. Tried to take Excalibur. Tried to conceive children with the Knights of the Round table. In old disney tales, we have the old witch who changes her shape to trick the young princess into eating an apple. Or the witch who then morphs into a dragon.

It's a crazy theory...that's not that crazy as it really sounds.

grand_admiral_ewok and Anleifr like this.
  4. Anleifr

Dec 17, 2015
    Here's the idea they had for Snoke being a woman: http://www.slashfilm.com/force-awakens-changes/

"Snoke Was Almost Female

Supreme Leader Snoke was one of the last characters finalized for the film, alongside Maz Kanata in October 2015 (10 weeks before the release of the film). Neither J.J. Abrams nor creature creative supervisor Neal Scanlan wanted Snoke to be old and decrepit like the Emperor, and at one point they even explored the idea of the character being female. They even built a full-size maquette of the concept. I’m assuming this must have been before Andy Serkis was hired to play the role via performance capture."

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I really like this idea. I definitely think there's some kind of Wizard of Oz element to Snoke and that he's not exactly who he says he is. Any idea can sound odd on paper but really work in its execution on screen. I think this one has potential.

DarkGingerJedi and Anleifr like this.
  6. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015

Serkis was announced for the role before October 2015, so there goes that theory. HE may have been hired, with a twist in mind for a SHE, but he was certainly announced and hired or the role before October.

7. Anleifr

Dec 17, 2015
    Yes, Serkis was hired obviously before Oct. 2015, how else could they have finished his part by Oct. 2015? I think you misread, they finished up Snoke's part in Oct, not that he was hired in Oct.

8. Big Boss

Sep 16, 2015

all im saying is that the "female ideas" would have been long before Serkis was even announced which was "On April 29, 2014, the cast was announced with a photo of the first table read of the script at Pinewood Studios near London,[36] picturing director Abrams with Ford, Daisy Ridley, Fisher,Peter Mayhew, producer Bryan Burk, Lucasfilm president and producer Kathleen Kennedy, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Hamill, Serkis, Oscar Isaac, Boyega, Driver, and writer Lawrence Kasdan. The announcement was originally planned for May 4 (Star Wars Day), but was announced early because of fears of media leaks. In June 2014, Lupita Nyong'o and Gwendoline Christie were announced in the cast."
    so it was scrapped long before his characters LOOK was finalized. its actually quite redundant to even bring it up, im sure Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo, Hux, Phasma etc all went through different periods of ideas that developed over time, sex/gender included... i really think its not something to focus on tbh.

9. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    And what I'd say to that is Mom-Snoke could have been conceived and then they wanted her to appear deceptive, so they got Serkis to play the image.

Tell me; how many people played Darth Vader? We had one guy in the suit, another actor for sword fighting, anothey for thr voice, and another when he takes his mask off. David prowse didn't even know the secret when filming.

So maybe something similar is happening here.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  10. Votanin

Votanin Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2015
    Damn, I signed up for these forums just to post this theory because I hadn't seen it anywhere else :p

11. Yodasmind

Yodasmind Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    Interesting thoughts but no.. this is like a space soap opera. I also think that Snoke may be Rey's "creator" but not as a woman!

12. BombBurro

BombBurro Jedi Padawan

Dec 28, 2015
    It's never ending with the theories!

“You’ll know you’re making real progress on the Sith path when you go from being suicidal to homicidal.” Darth Revanus

13. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    My bet is he'll be revealed as:

Drum roll...

Snoke as his true self instead of the hologram. That's it... And he will look the same, only smaller.

It will explain a small backstory just so we know where he comes from, but they probably won't go into it that much. Why people think it will be more than that is interesting I suppose, but he doesn't need to be anyone else. The purpose of his character is simply to provide Kylo with a means to the dark side, otherwise we'd have no force using villain.

There will be no Plagueis, no Sideous, and no dark lord parent to Rey. They don't need to make Snoke anything more than some old force user that had been waiting in the shadows. Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one, which is why I believe Rey is Luke's daughter and Snoke is Snoke.

14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    If I ever sat through a Star Wars film just to run into an "No, I am your mother" line I think I'd die from a lethal cocktail of embarrassment and laughter induced asphyxiation.

15. RPM

RPM Jedi Knight

Nov 29, 2014
    Apologies. At 52 years old, I am predisposed to hold the films, actual movies, in much higher esteem than the animated works, only a very few of which I have seen, and I do admit, I enjoyed. Which elements, plotlines, and characters from the cartoons are being carried forward into the third film trilogy?

Big Boss likes this.
  16. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    Holy crap, you post here too?

It's IHN from you-know-where.

tehdouglas likes this.
  17. Yodasmind

Yodasmind Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    LOL...I totally agree with you! I mean, I love reading all the different theories and viewpoints but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what WE think. Disney and studio execs are going to do whatever they want to do and take the story where they want it to go...and take our money with them all the way to the bank!

18. Yodasmind

Yodasmind Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    Perhaps but that would be TOO obvious! It's interesting that Maz tells Rey that whoever she's waiting for isn't coming back but that there is someone who will....Luke. That doesn't seem to imply that he's her Father.

19. interxavier01

interxavier01 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    ...as Snoke.

His back story won't be revealed until Episode IX. I think with so many unanswered questions from TFA needing to be addressed in VIII, the movie will feel too crammed if they include Snoke's story. Better save it for IX.

20. tehdouglas

tehdouglas Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    The Vestiness spread far :chewie:

TheLateAdmiralPiett likes this.
  21. Starkiller_Ren

Starkiller_Ren Jedi Padawan

Dec 29, 2015
    I truly believe he is either Plagueis, or just Snoke. No other theory would work right, in my opinion.

22. Big Boss

Sep 16, 2015

first of all thats false equivalence; all the actors playing Vader were male. the villain itself was covered in a suit. none of that applies for this villain - Snoke. so your argument as to why it could be a case of "something similar is happening here" is flawed.

reading back, it came across a little snarky - my apologies. however, it is true. as for things being carried into the sequel trilogy, there doesnt seem to be a whole lot at this moment. some think that Darth Bane's recanonising via a force holocron will be used, as he was the creator of "the rule of two", as well as holocrons in general. as TCW was set in the PT era, i cant imagine too much being explored or carried into the ST. 'Rebels' i am personally not up to date with, some - because its set before ANH - think it could pass on some things, but as of right now im not too sure myself.

23. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Actually, no it's not a false equivalency at all and it holds up just fine. Perhaps you don't understand the point. Serkis is merely playing the CGI version of Vader's Suit. The character of Snoke, is an illusion. Just because Hologram Snoke is male now, doesn't mean that Real Snoke is too. Real Snoke wants to appear in a different form, for various Snoke reasons. And just because Hologram Snoke is played by Serkis, it doesn't mean that Real Snoke will be as well.

I'm simply theorizing (and to be honest, beginning to walk away form this theory in general) that Hologram Snoke looks old and intimating, and maybe happens to be male because the First Order might follow an old dude more so, and once the Hologram Snoke flickers off, a women comes out from behind the curtain. Rey's mom. Who won't be portrayed by Serkis, but by another actress altogether. That's it.

I think this could very well be a case of misdirection. If this were the case, they don't want the audience in on the twist in any form just yet. If Hologram Snoke appeared as a women, or her true self, played by a actress (or by Serkis for that matter), the audience would instantly wonder...Is she connected to Rey. Is she the missing 'mom'.

24. Big Boss

Sep 16, 2015

so your trying to give this theory more credence by saying the actor playing Snoke isnt actually Snoke (?) while using an example of Vader, who WAS played by his actor's and wasnt revealed to be a woman, and trying to say it works just fine? k...
    look im all for fun theorizing, but your statements dont hold ground on what we already know. we know that Serkis plays Snoke, we know he has commented on the character and described him as well as other people behind the movies,. simply saying "im theorizing, BUT, Snoke could be a woman!" is like me saying "maybe Snoke is actually Darth Sidious in another body", both hold the same weight - zero.

25. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012

It doesn't matter who played Vader under the suit? It doesn't. 5 different actors brought him to life. That simply shows that it takes a lot to create a character. That the person playing him in all the movies, won't even appear when the mask comes off. That it's not just one person. It doesn't matter what Serkis has said on the matter either, because he could clearly game for misdirection, or not even know it's coming - as David Prowse didn't know about certain secrets and, I believe, was mad when they cast someone else to be shown on screen when the mask came off.

If they want to have Male Hologram Snoke performed by male Andy Serkis, and then...say...AHHA...Male Snoke is actually a false projection by some Force Witch, who is deliberately deceiving everyone on purpose...what's the problem? No where have I said, that the FO even knows about it. That's also the point. What's the issue here that you have? Where's the false reasoning? (Besides just not liking the theory) Because your problem only seems to be with the fact that it's not the same sex. That the Male Snoke we see must be the Male Snoke revealed eventually.

Right now, Snoke appears as a man, super creepy and intimidating, and in charge of the FO...but in reality, is this women. Wizard of Oz style, behind a Force Curtain. Now...It's fun to theorize, and this one is pretty far fetched (as we've said all along - crazy theory time) But, in theory, nothing is stoping the character from not being who we're showing right now. We've all theorized that Snoke isn't going to be 25 feet tall, that he's appearing tall to look threatening. This is the same line of thinking.

But, you know...after seeing the movie many times, and thinking about who Snoke is, yada yada, this theory is very unlikely. Just some crazy speculation, with some basic reasoning. Most likely not to happen. But not for the reasons you're arguing.