main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST There has been an awakening... What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Anakin's Daddy, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    The teaser trailer is being discussed in various places on these boards, however, I thought it that this question deserved its own thread. I have been looking for people's opinions. What do the lines spoken in the trailer really mean?

From the teaser trailer:
    "There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?"
    "The dark side, and the light"

Indeed the force HAS been awakened because it's also the movie title, but what does it mean exactly?
    It has been confirmed that Andy Serkis' speaks this in the trailer, so is Serkis' character a Sith? Who is he speaking to? What does he mean by awakening? Have the dark side and the light side been awakened at the same time? Has the force been in "balance" since ROTJ and has this "awakening" unbalanced it? Was the force asleep? Whah? :confused:

Discuss!

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Sith have been destroyed, so their masters, the evil Whills, are awakening to take things into their own hands.

3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm hoping it's more literal, and it means the emergence/"awakening" of Darth Plagueis, and all that stems as a result of that...

Hoping...

4. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Maybe the force was in balance but serkis talking means a sith has awakened the darkside and luke will reawaken the light because he was in exile.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  5. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    This ia actually a cool idea. On makingstarwars.net I read that Serkis' character is zombie-like. Very interesting!

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  6. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    I'm still going back and forth as to whether or not that's actual dialogue from the film. The "have you felt it?" portion pushes me in the direction of believing that it is, but it also feels like something written just to tease us.

Who would he be saying these lines to?

If Serkis is playing a character who was a long-dormant Sith, or even a deceased Sith that has been resurrected, it wouldn't make sense for him to be the one declaring that there has been an awakening, and asking a companion if they've felt it.

It does make sense if Serkis is referring to these force-sensitive characters suddenly becoming aware of their abilities and using the force for the first time - the force has awakened elsewhere in the galaxy and now there will be new allies, enemies, and threats.

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Could be, kind of like Darth Maul's little monologue about "Fear" in TPM. Personally I always wished that was in the movie, that was bada--!

ShaneP likes this.
  8. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I think it is literal and means the Awakening of the Dark Side Of The Force and events that are unfolding that make that Happen....

Luke02 likes this.
  9. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Another word for a disturbance in the Force?

It probably means that the Force was awakened now that it was brought back to balance. However, the dark side is "awakening" and threatening to disrupt the balance once again, if the Sith are allowed to return.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Perhaps it means the Sith have raised again?

11. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    My guess is that the force hasn't been active in the galaxy for quite some time, and then force sensitive elements start coming back, not that they were completely gone, but in a sense that they become influential again.

Maybe a bit like A Song of Ice and Fire's magic.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    so for people who are saying the sith have rises again or what have you that does not work because the Prophecy was complete

The new bad guys could just be some dark force users.

13. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    It's like when you're trying to stay asleep but your bladder can't take it any more. The force needs to pee.

14. Eirikur

Eirikur Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 4, 2014
    The prophecy said there would be balance to the force and then there was balance to the force.
    But that does not mean someone can't overthrow that balance and bring out unbalance between the sides again.
    Maybe that is what this awakening is. The Force going extreme and both Jedi and Sith rise.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

So you think that a with will return but they all died and with can't return as well as jedi can only a very talented and amazing with could do it.

16. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Agree but I also think the light is awakening as well. The rumor of Luke being in hiding fits that premise. I think the fact that in the trailer Andy's character talk about both the dark and the light means both have awaken, not just the dark.

TK327 likes this.
  17. Eirikur

Eirikur Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 4, 2014
    We'll only have to wait and see I guess ^^

18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

I like this idea Red_Leader_313. Serkis' Sith is quite possibly feeling Luke's reemergence (Perhaps Luke can cloak his Force Sensitivity to an extent which has made his exile possible? Or perhaps he's on a world where he can hide like Yoda did on Dagobah (the dark side energies there were enough to mask Yoda's existence...)

Or if not Luke, then the Sith is talking the new folk(s), I am thinking Boyega is force sensitive. Ridley would be too easy a candidate, but I won't be surprised if she is also Force sensitive. However that kind of comment makes me think Luke given all the rumors of his immense Force powers.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    yes we will.

Eirikur likes this.
  20. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Return of the Sith was a George Lucas working title for EP7.......

Troubled Mind likes this.
  21. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    My interpretation is that the Awakening is the result of Anakin bringing balance to the Force.
    That it is the aftermath of the events of ROTJ.

22. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  23. JJRosso

JJRosso Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    "There has been an awkening" and The Force Awakens refers to the fact that there hasn't been anything special happening with the force for 30 years. Massive imbalance in the force through to ROTJ due to Plagueis, Palpatine. Vader.
    Now it seems that Luke was the only force user left after Jedi that could manipulate the force enough for it to be unbalanced or have any serious action at all. The events had played out and everything settled down. So now the darkside and lightside are about to fight it out again thus the awakening of the force. It reminds me a lot of The Hobbit, Lord of the RIngs after Sauron was defeated then came back and **** got real. I just wonder who "Sauron" will be in TFA. Possibly Plaguies, Bane but I believe its a new force user unlocking the secrets of the darkside.

24. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    What's also possible is that the quote is taken out of context. That is, "the dark side...and the light"...could be a line delivered at a different point in the film or in that same conversation.

Whatever character Serkis is playing, he sounds...well..."big". I'm not sure how else to put it, other than that voice sounds dark, sinister, and powerful.

BigAl6ft6 and DARTH_BELO like this.
  25. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    As I cannot confirm what I am about to say, put it in the catogory of the Expanded Universe, it could be a part of the film or bits and pieces could be a part but we are certainly going to get a explanation of what Balanceing the Force spoken of in the prequels actually means..........

First , When Anakin Skywalker fell to the dark side, and helped hunt down and destory all the remaining Jedi, This dangerously threw the force in a darker balance and left Vader and the Emperor in control of the Galaxy........Years later there was a NEW HOPE as Luke Skywalker emerged to truely bring the Force back into balance, and the redemption of Vader brought the Force back into balance, fulfilling the anicent tale spoken of by Mace and Yoda years before. However after these events, the Force was all intents and purposes fell asleep, and no other force sensitive beings were born, and it soon fell into the Galaxys myths and legends........But some event at the beginning of this next film is about to AWAKEN IT ONCE MORE and it will be STRONGER THAN EVER, The Dark side and the LIGHT !!!!

syferdiasisalie, I know and Eirikur like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.