main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST There has been an awakening... What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Anakin's Daddy, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    "Balance doesn't mean there is a good side or a bad side, that is totally inaccurate view of what balance means. . It means like a balance body, a balanced diet - a body free of cancer. So a balanced galaxy, is a galaxy without cancer and that is what the Sith were". - Jason Ward (Now this is Podcasting! Episode 54, 18:06)

I tend to side with Jason Ward on this. The Force is simply nature. Nature always finds balance and we can see that everyday we look out our own window or step outside our door. The Sith believe in absolute power and any means necessary to accomplish it. No matter how twisted and perverse their actions are against nature or the beings living within it.

Given that, the prophecy of the one who would bring balance to the Force, Anakin was created by the Force to destroy the Sith. Which in the end he did. Now he did it in a really round about way, taking down most of the Jedi, scared traditions, democracy and everyone's freedom in the galaxy, but he did end up destroying the Sith. The Cancer against nature.

Now with the Force Awakens, I believe the Sith have returned and so nature will respond in kind. How the Sith have returned is the only real question. Was it living in an old Sith Lord or did a Force Sensitive decide to throw it up on KickStarter, get a few Republic Credits and do some archaeology digs for some holocrons.

Jedi with a TARDIS likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Plagueis woke up. Or Palpatine resurrected. Either or, really.

dyous87 likes this.
  3. Hardware

Hardware Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2013
    Doesn't Yoda say somewherez in the PT (AOTC I think). That the prophecy was misread? One thought could be that yes Anakin was created by the force. However his midi count was so high that this insures his offspring including those in the ST are part of an on going stronger bloodline mechanism (whatever you want to call it) to keep the force in balance as these Sith emerge over time. As if the force foresaw the emergence of more sith and needed a way to bring that balance. What if by Killing all the JEDI, THAT is actually how Anakin brought balance to the force. There are no longer 2 Sith agains 800 Jedi. It's now more even odds 2 Sith against 2 Jedi or whatdver. Maybe it was unnatural for there to be a large number of jedi.
    but as far as there is an awakening. Dark and light. I think it literal if the rumors are true. Master Luke and plagius cancel each other out. Driver and daisy cancel each other out. Boyega and maybe someone else canel each other out. So the force is awakening again both the dark and the light. I dont even know what im talking about anymore. I lost my train of thought I'm tired...The end.

4. Chewbacca's Stylist

Chewbacca's Stylist Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2014
    Nah, look at the quote at the top of the page. It's spot on. There's also an in-universe view of this but that's in Legends now and I don't remember what to look up on wookieepedia. Sith and what they represent are wholly unnatural, and so two or two thousand, they create an imbalance. Anakin fulfilled the prophecy by killing them all, not by evening the numbers... Which he never actually did even in the movies. (And he especially didn't in the Legends).

As for the line, I'm pretty sure it's more figurative. The force was asleep because there was no one around to use it, or, except for Luke, everyone that could had minimal skill at best. The force "awakens" as force users get stronger, and is represented in the films as a new Sith Lord coming into power and Luke staring a new Jedi Order.

5. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    I always took "balance" to mean equal dark and light not too much to either side..like yin and yang..first there were way too many jedi,anakin fixed that but only reversed the problem,then20-30 years on aided by his son in ROTJ he put it in a sort of dormant state...now it awakens and becomes "balanced" again after a generation..

Satipo likes this.
  6. Eirikur

Eirikur Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 4, 2014
    These are my thoughts as well.
    Now when the force have been balanced both Sith and Jedi can/will prosper in it and both sides will rise.
    Maybe/hopefully( :3) creating a new Jedi vs. Sith war!

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i think driver's character unearths something powerful in the force in his search for sith artifacts, that is felt by all force sensitives through the galaxy

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  8. Red_Leader_313

Red_Leader_313 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Wasn't there an interview with Lucas on one of the DVD releases where he said that Anakin fulfilled his prophecy by killing Palpatine?

And then there's Obi Wan's line, "you were the chosen one! You were supposed to destroy the sith, not join them!"

I think this provides us with adequate context to assume "balance to the Force" is a fancy way of saying, "kill the bad guys." It's a beat that is trying to raise the stakes by making it imperative on a cosmic/spiritual level that the sith must be defeated, but isn't clear enough to really explain how or why. The result? Dozens of people who are invested enough in Star Wars dwell on these few beats of dialogue while EU authors try to fill in the loopholes by milking them for projected meaning.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  9. Couq-DK

Couq-DK Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 16, 2014
    The latest novel Tarkin, have a thought from Palpatine on something along these lines:

I doubt the story group would have allowed this quote unless it didn't hold some truth to it overall.

The quote originates from the fact that Sidious and Plagueis was gaining more power in the dark side, twisting the balance.

Now I still don't understand this balance thing, it simply doesn't make much sense to me at all, thus I hope that the force awakens will shred a bit more clearness on it and what the death of vader and sidious really ment to this balance.

Regardless, another thing that crossed my mind is the sensation of the force, the feeling for it.

What if 30 years of death and conflict upon the galaxy have disturbed the living force so much that it is somehow awoken by all of this death going on, that it kinda sets out to bring an end to this once and for all. Throughout the movies, we've been told that the force have a will and kinda command the jedi to things.

In any scenario, I expect an awakening to be the consequences of the long conflict that have been going on.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    OBI-WAN: "With all due respect, Master, is he not the Chosen One? Is he not to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force?"

MACE: "So the prophecy says."

YODA: "A prophecy . . . that misread could have been."

What that's about is that they doubt that Anakin is the Chosen One, while Obi-wan still believes. But in ROTJ, Anakin fulfills his destiny and is proven as the Chosen One.

"Then we will get to the 3rd film, where he is seduced to the dark side, which brings up to films four, five, and six, where Anakin's offspring redeem him & allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe."

--George Lucas, The Star Wars Trilogy VHS Boxset 2000.

"There is a hint in the movie that there was a Sith lord who had the power to create life. But it's left unsaid: Is Anakin a product of a super-Sith who influenced the Midichlorians to create him, or is he simply created by the Midichlorians to bring forth a prophecy, or was he created by the Force through the Midichlorians? It's left up to the audience to decide. How he was born ultimately has no relationship to how he dies, because in the end, the prophecy is true: Balance comes back to the Force."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stone Magazine, 2005.

"The sad thing is Padme says there is still good in him and Luke says in ROTJ there is good in you. It's recurring. There is good in him. And that will bring balance to the Force. He needs to get rid of the Sith and bring balance to the Force."

--George Lucas, ROTS DVD Commentary.

"I think it is obvious that [Qui-Gon] was wrong in Episode I and made a dangerous decision, but ultimately this decision may be correct. The “phantom menace” refers to the force of the dark side of the universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy, but the individual who kills the Emperor is Darth Vader—also Anakin. The tale meanders and both the prediction and Qui-Gon are correct—Anakin is the chosen one, and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrifice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor."

--George Lucas, Cut Magazine interview, 1999

"The thing of it is: The prophecy was right. Anakin was the chosen one, and he does bring balance to the Force. He takes the one ounce of good still left in him and destroys the Emperor out of compassion for his son."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 221

Balance.

"If good and evil are mixed things become blurred - there is nothing between good and evil, everything is gray. In each of us we to have balance these emotions, and in the Star Wars saga the most important point is balance, balance between everything. It is dangerous to lose this. In The Phantom Menace one of the Jedi Council already knows the balance of The Force is starting to slip, and will slip further. It is obvious to this person that The Sith are going to destroy this balance. On the other hand a prediction which is referred to states someone will replace the balance in the future. At the right time a balance may again be created, but presently it is being eroded by dark forces."

--George Lucas, Cut Magazine Interview 1999.

"The overriding philosophy in Episode I—and in all the Star Wars movies, for that matter—is the balance between good and evil."

--George Lucas, quoted in L. Bouzereau, Star Wars: The Making of Episode I, 1999

"I wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil—everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in Star Wars."

--George Lucas, “The Mythology of Star Wars,” Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth DVD, 2001

"As evil begins to take over, it pushes the Force out of balance."

--George Lucas, AOTC DVD Commentary.

Cancer.

"The dark side is always there. It is experienced daily by people. It is like a huge cancer, alive, festering—both a reminder of a moral state and, at the same time, symptom and symbol of a very sick society."

--George Lucas, “The Mythology of Star Wars,” Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth DVD, 2001

"One of the themes throughout the films is that the Sith Lords, when they started out thousands of years ago, embraced the Dark Side. They were greedy and self-centered and they all wanted to take over, so they killed each other. Eventually there was only one left, and that one took on an apprentice. And for thousands of years, the master would teach the apprentice, the master would die, the apprentice would then teach another apprentice, the master, and so on. But there could never be any more than two of them, because if there were, they would try to get rid of the leader, which is exactly what Vader was trying to do, and that's exactly what the Emperor was trying to do. The Emperor was trying to get rid of Vader, and Vader was trying to get rid of the Emperor. And that is the antithesis of a symbiotic relationship, in which if you do that, you become cancer, and you eventually kill the host, and everything dies."

--George Lucas, Bill Moyers Time Magazine Interview; 1999.

Anakin's Daddy likes this.
  11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

No. Balance means NO Sith. The Sith hoard the force. Think of the Force like a river. It flows freely. Now picture the Sith like a dam in that river, holding much of the Force to themselves. This creates an unbalance.
    That's also why the number of jedi to Sith doesn't mean anything unless we are talking no Jedi and at least one Sith.

edit:

It's important not to confuse dark side with Sith. Those are two different things. The Sith just use the dark side exclusively while the Jedi balance the dark and light within themselves.

So maybe after ROTJ Luke has some issues controlling the Force, he knows the Sith are now vanquished and the Force is balanced as a result, and so he says "Peace out!" and leaves?

12. jaxbrah

jaxbrah Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 30, 2014
    if palpatine , vader, and the empire were destroyed/defeated and all of the jedi are dead except luke then there is a clear unbalance in the galaxy. if the last 30 years have been filled with the republic reclaiming control of the galaxy, then there needs to be an opposing force rebalance.

the force once brought life to Anakin skywalker to rebalance the universe so someone or aomething must be given life in episode 7. which is why plageuis makes so much sense. not only does his reimurgence start to balance out the force against luke, it also has a very direct connection with the title of the film. he was "killed" in his sleep. he was able to prevent his own death afterall, even if it took 50+ years.

but i think it also references luke being awakened from hibernation and a new jedi order being formed. there hasnt been an official jedi order really since episode iii. so i would find it really interesting if we see a new official order formed with the structure we are familiar with in the prequel trilogies

D'an likes this.
  13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

That's not what balance means. The Sith unbalance the Force by existing. It has nothing to do with the numerical number of one or the other.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Apparently, that's not what it means. It's more to do with having more good in the galaxy than evil — balance being harmonious and more attuned with life when there's less evil around. Or something like that. :p

15. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    A simple explanation could be it has been 30 years since the active search and extermination of force sensitives. The Force has awakened in that the galaxy now has thousands of adult force users not necessarily Jedi or Sith but some using the darkside and some not.

16. Eirikur

Dec 4, 2014
    But that's not what was said in the Clone Wars episodes about Mortis, right?
    That either side should never over power the other one? Like, that's what the Father did in those episodes, he kept the both sides balanced, the Sister/good side and the Brother/bad side. But the Son later killed the Father and brought imbalance by overpowering the Sister as well.
    In the end though, they finally fought back against the Son and brought back the Sister to full power again so there was balance?

17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    For one thing, the Mortis arc is too ambiguous, and pretty much a mess. It first tells you that the balance is something that the three maintain, but yet, the Son is depicted as this borderline personality that's leaning towards the dark side. If anything, the Mortis arc only confuses things even more, so I wouldn't look to it for answers.

D'an and Eirikur like this.
  18. Eirikur

Dec 4, 2014
    True ^^
    I just thought maybe those episode could mean something towards the balancing.
    I also felt those episodes were rather messy and didn't really understand much.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  19. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I agree with a few things that have been said above. "Balance" in the force basically means no Sith. I think Lucas basically confirmed this.

The fact that the force has been awakened, probably means that suddenly there are many beings that are force sensitive once again. It is probably the nature of the force to once again populate the galaxy with force sensitive beings.

I am also thinking that Serkis's question, "Have you felt it?" has to be directed to another force user and it's got to either be his master or apprentice, or Luke.

...and about the whole "Balance" thing again; People need to let go of the prophecy! Yes, Anakin balanced it, but that era is over. It's wide open now for Jedi/Sith or whoever to unbalance/balance or do whatever to the force again.

20. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    "Mad" Luke will have an awakening when Anakin's light saber is returned to him.

Reluctant Kira will have an awakening when she harnesses the power of the force in a shocking way.

21. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I think a lot of people will become aware that they can use the force light and dark. The will of the force will make Luke have to meet his destiny. Luke is trying to hide from his destiny so the force sparks an awakening in Luke. This explains some of the rumors about his uncontrollable powers. While Luke has been away the darkside has been growing in strength and the awakening is meant to maintain the balance. The darksiders will move to destroy Luke before he can rebuild the jedi order. That is why everyone will be searching for Luke.

22. DarthGrouch

DarthGrouch Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2014
    I would love to see Darth Maul return. The voice in the new trailer sounds similar to his voice in "TPM" trailer and Palpatine never killed him in The Clone Wars.

Sent from DarthGrouch

23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there are no evil whills!

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Why? We've got enough returns... from characters still living, to boot. :p A Maul return would be ridiculously unnecessary.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't think that would be a good idea Welcome to the board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.