main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST There has been an awakening... What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Anakin's Daddy, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    The flaw with that, is the awakening has taken place in both the darkside and the light, meaning the awakening involves both, not just one but also "felt by" the other.

From the trailer: "There has been an awakening. Have you felt it? The darkside, and the light."

2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yep you're right. Didn't take that into account

EviL_eLF likes this.
  3. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Bumping this thread, which hasn't seen any action since the second trailer was released.

So, since the last post here MSW has provided us with a pretty detailed outline of the film. I'm a subscriber to those rumors, but to each their own. But as some have noted, even if you believe the MSW rumors, we're still missing most of the the hows and all of the whys. I was particularly struck by the fact that the awakening concept isn't touched on in the MSW shooting materials.

So, using our post-teaser 2 knowledge, what do we think this awakening is? I'm sure the title relates to Rey returning to the path of the Jedi and probably Finn's awakening to the Force for the first time. But it has to be more than that, right?

Before someone suggests that dialogue was recorded purely for the teaser:
    Serkis was surprised that he was in the trailer and had no idea which lines would be used. So, what we heard in the first teaser is actual dialogue from the film.

So we are dealing with an awakening of the dark and the light. He can't be referring to Rey, unless he says this after Kylo and Rey duel at the end of Act III. I don't think we see Uber again after that fight. So what is he referring to?

I'm skeptical of a galaxy-wide awakening theory (i.e., thousands of new force users activisting at once) because of the "have you felt it?" line. Surely something of that scale/magnitude would be unmistakable. If you have a connection to the force, you'd notice that.

4. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    There was talk in the PT of Jedi power diminishing, it was implied it could be the Sith, but it could also be that people were losing a connection to the Force. Maybe due to Anakin bring "balance" to the Force it has allowed for an awakening. This could mean more and more children are force sensitive at birth. Maybe some are able to access some of the power of the force even without formal training (Rylo Ren).

I personally don't believe it refers to just one aspect of the force or even a person. I believe the force is now more connected to the living that it had been in the past.

Maybe this is the result of the fulfillment of "the prophecy"

5. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
    Or maybe the Jedi and the Sith were keeping the force out of balance. In that case Anakin completely fulfilled the prophecy by destroying the Jedi order and the Sith. This could be why someone destroyed Luke's Jedi academy, to prevent him from bring the force out of balance.

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.
  6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I think myself that there is a bit of teaser trickery involved in the the two lines are not contiguous. So, we would then have;

"There has been an awakening, have you felt it?"

and

"The Dark side and the light."

The first line after Rey experiences the vision, she awakens from her self imposed 'Force sleep' and Uber contacts Kylo who is on the way to Maz's Castle/Pub.

The second line after Kylo's 'interrogation' of Rey. He contacts Uber with the information he has gleaned and Uber says something like "Kylo and Rey, brother and sister*, the dark side and the light."

* - change to cousins if appropriate :)

7. sterling3763

May 1, 2014
    If the awakening is tied to Anakin's completion of the prophecy,then it should have happened 30 years ago, not in TFA.

Even the flashback doesn't work for the awakening, since the flashback/academy massacre probably took place roughly twenty years after Endor.

I think the two are unrelated.

This makes some sense. The "there's been an awakening line" could happen immediately after the force vision in the pub. Isn't there a scene between Kylo and Uber where Uber wants to use the catapult on the pub? Kylo is resistant and Uber tells him not to be so sentimental. That conversation could start with the awakening line.

Maybe that's how the First Order finds out where our heroes went post-Jakku. Rey embraces the force for the first time in a decade or so and they get a ping on the old force radar.

8. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
    I don't buy this whole the force gives you a ping on the radar. If that was the case why didn't Sidious just hunt down the Jedi one by one when they were away on missions. The only thing I remember seeing is the idea they can feel a disturbance in the force. Particular if the person had a particularly strong connection to it (which is why Yoda could feel Anakin's pain in EP 2, both had a great connection to the force).

Why did Obi-Wan, a pretty powerful jedi, need to stow away on Padme's ship to find Anakin on Mustaphir? Luke would have no learned how to hide his power using the darkside like Sidious did his "radar signature" would have been massive.

Again, they can feel a disturbance in the force, and if they have a strong connection to someone they can feel them (Think Anakin and his mother)

9. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Order 66 was a pretty good way of getting rid of the Jedi - surrounded by fully armed Clone Troopers and all being shot at the same time carried the element of surprise. Far better than hunting them one at a time when the word would have spread amongst them.

Obi-Wan stowed away for the element of surprise. Vader could have been watching the landing pad and saw Kenobi's fighter arriving.

Anakin felt his mother in distress, Luke felt the pain of his friends on Bespin, etc. Rey, forcibly awakening after seeing Maz's vision may well have sent out a Force tremor that Uber picked up on. The fact that he asks Kylo '...have you felt it?' would reinforce that Uber is more perceptive than his Apprentice.

10. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    people lost their connection to the force in the post-ROTJ, especially after the attack on the Jedi Academy.

Kylo Ren discovers his talents for using the force and uses it to build his following- the awakening of the dark side.

Finn and Rey discover the force within themselves on their journey and once they find Luke, begin to enhance their knowledge of the force- the awakening of the light side. plus Luke coming back into action could be seen as a reawakening itself.

11. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
    I just watched it last night. Obi-Wan asks Padre where Anikan is she refuses to tell her, he sneaks on the ship. Also what element of surprise? He literally stood there and in the open and announced his presence.

Jedi/Sith can sense the presence of someone but they cant "Hunt" them down using it.

In ANH Vader feels Obiwan's presence on the death star, but he does not know where he is. Dooku did not sense Obi-Won on Genosis when his was eavesdropping on their plans. There is literally nothing in the canon to suggest they can use the force to hunt people down... maybe the was in the EU or something so people are confused.

12. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I think this is closer to the answer. I mean, yeah, it could be the full line taken out of context but alone it makes no sense. Lines are cut up and condensed all the time in movie trailers. It makes visual sense in a trailer when you want to show bad guys and then good guys.

I think the "Awakening" is either referring to Finn or Rey (or both). If Rey is indeed a Solo/Skywalker, maybe there's been something dormant in her for many years that is now being awakened once she comes into contact with the lightsaber.

13. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I always put the turning point as to when she takes up the 'sword' but I think the Awakening happens during the vision. I honestly believe that she has completely suppressed whatever happened at the Academy and the vision brings it all back. She runs into the woods, gets captured by Kylo, has her little tete-a-tete and then escapes. She seems completely in control at this point.

I believe that when escaping from Kylo at the EVIL CASTLE she is out cold (from the Speeder bike crash) when Finn takes on Kylo and she comes round in the nick of time to save his neck.

sterling3763 likes this.
  14. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014

This would be my reading of this too. I think that there's a good chance that two different lines have been cut together for the purposes of the trailer.

One reason for this is, if Uber is talking to Kylo Ren ( we know that he communicates with Kylo and The General, and I think that it's much more likely that he's speaking to Kylo here ), we can assume that the 'Lightsider' he refers to is Rey, but who then is the 'Darksider?' It obviously can't be Kylo, as he's speaking to Kylo ( and Kylo's Force abilities appear to have 'awakened' long before the beginning of TFA ). Much more likely that the two lines are unconnected.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I'm still hoping that the "awakening" is some significant tremor in the force which "wakes" force users up after being dorment for so long. Not going to happen though.

16. tokilamockingbrd

May 12, 2015
    Also the term Awaken is very often used in a religious sense. The Great Awakening in the US instantly comes to mind. In the OT the force was looked at as a "Hokey old religion" in Han's words, and also several others (mainly Imperial officers and such).

Maybe the 1st Order is sort of a Force Cult in a way. Its possible that there is a movement in the galaxy where belief in the force is being spread and more and more force users are being found.

17. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    I have said it before, I wouldn't be surprised if it is 'Uber' speaking to Leia - taunting her. He's is obviously some kind of an opponent to her. We know very little about Leia and perhaps she knows about Kylo.....

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  18. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    There's a possibility the line was just recorded for the trailer. And isn't actually in the film itself. 'The Darkside, and the liiiight.." I couldn't see that being an actual line of dialogue from a script. As far as "There has been an awakening, have you felt it?" goes? It just fits too well IMO. It's the films title in no uncertain terms. And we know what that is. We don't need a character to tell us just in case we've forgotten. Way I see it.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  19. Njfritz

Njfritz Jedi Master star 3

Oct 2, 2014
    The way Serkis was actually surprised he was in the teaser at all, I highly doubt it was recorded just for the teaser.

sterling3763 likes this.
  20. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    You actually think Serkis would've been unaware of that? Hamill (re) recorded dialogue specifically for the 2nd teaser. And As ive said, we know what the films title is. The Force Awakens. We don't need to be told what that entails within the film itself.

21. sterling3763

May 1, 2014
    Serkis is on record:
    If you're asking us to choose between his statement and your baseless opinion that he's lying to us, I know which I'll go with.

22. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    John Williams specifically recorded a new score for the first teaser. Yet the voice over, which matched every scene perfectly in it, was taken from recorded dialogue from Serkis character in the film itself. So basically that specific bit of dialogue that was chosen, and the footage that was chosen all had to fit. Seems to be unnecessarily complicated for a brief teaser? As with regards to what Serkis said, there's such a thing as being tongue in cheek. He seemed quick to determine its his voice and not Cumberbatch's which was rumoured at the time. But whatever. You baseless Toby Jug ;)

23. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The meaning behind it is probably very basic: a spiritual awakening within the galaxy. Not just among Force sensitives, but the normal population begin to accept the essence of the Force and its guiding principles.

24. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

I guess Uber could just mean the dark side in general is awakening due to them even if it has been ongoing for a little while.

25. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yeah, but what the other guy is saying is that Serkis all but stated he didn't record that line of dialogue specifically for the teaser; he recorded the line for a scene in the movie. That's why he was surprised to hear it in the first teaser; it was like an unexpected bonus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.