main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THERE IS NO MAJOR DIVISION IN SW FANS!!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Clonetrooper1000, Jun 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clonetrooper1000

Clonetrooper1000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2003

(This was originally in the saga forum but I was asked to move it hear)

I originally used these boards a couple of years ago and then stop using them for a while. I have to admit I am not as big a Star Wars fan as I was when I was younger. Not because of the PT, because I think they are excellent, but it was the original SW trilogy that got me into films in general and I tended to move towards other aspects of cinema that never appealed to me as a kid. So you could say I am more a film fan than a SW fan and I have recently went on to complete a degree in Film Studies. Anyway, I re-registered earlier this year and have continued to use the boards frequently ever since.

When I returned, I noticed there was obviously a select group of Star Wars fans who were ultimately disappointed with the first two prequel films and they had come to be known as ?Bashers?.

Now this is not an attack on fans that criticise the prequels. I truly respect fans? opinions and I realise that both ?bashers?, and so-called ?gushers? tend to state their opinions as if they were facts most of the time. It?s something that we all do but some more so than others ? e.g. when someone states ?AOTC was a terrible film? or ?TPM was the best SW film?, we know that it is an opinion of the user.

My actual point is that I am totally confused at how this group of critical PT fans seem to believe that they are on one side of a major division of Star Wars fans. They are not the creators of a major division in SW fans. Why? Because they exist in an extreme minority.

The point is that with every single film that is released there are those that like it and those that dislike it. When the OT was released, a major percentage of cinema-goers liked SW and there were obviously many who disliked it, but this was undoubtfully a small percentage (or minority) of these cinema-goers judging by its ultimate success and legacy. Likewise, those that disliked the OT or any of the OT sequels were in such a minority there was no substantial ?division?.

Now Lucas is making the PT. The Star Wars fan-base has been established and Lucas is aiming the new films at them in particular. Since George is aiming these films at the fans (particularly episodes II and III), then we obviously should pay attention to what they say about it.

The fact is that a great majority of Star Wars fans have accepted the prequels wholeheartedly (loads of opinion polls have shown this). Some fans are wrong in believing they are on the critical side of a major division. This ?division? is obviously created by themselves (and uneducated film critics) to make others believe there opinions are as important or well founded as those who do like the PT.

It?s not going to change the views of most Star Wars fans. The fact of the matter is that a great majority of us adore them and are greatly anticipating Episode III. There is no division. If the fans were perhaps split 70/30 or 60/40 then there would be a divided fan base, but there is no proof to say this is the case.

Does anyone else agree that this division is false? Or do you have any evidence to the contrary?

Clonetrooper1000

edit/ this is getting too antagonistic and close to flaming.

2. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    I pretty much agree. Many people have been dissapointed by the PT, but that is probably because they have been anticipating them too much, until no film could live up to what they expect it to be. That is the problem. The PT are in no way bad films, they still have the same "watchability" as the OT, just they didn't live up to the expectectations of many fans, and there are people who ultimately hate them for that.

3. Force_Prophet

Force_Prophet Jedi Master star 3

Apr 9, 2003
    I agree with that. Expectations kill many movies and SW movies are probably more likely to be affected by this problem. I try to have no expectations about any of the movies, as long as it is Starwars I don't care.

4. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    I must say my expectations of movies like Star Wars and LOTR are quite high, but mostly those films live up to my expectations. This is probably why The Matrix Reloaded is getting mixed reviews, because people are too expectant.

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002

Such a lofty goal, but then you fall into your old habits again.

"Why? Because they exist in an extreme minority."

"This ?division? is obviously created by themselves"

Is it really?

Old Post - "Well you are in an extreme minority so nobody else really cares. Besides, you can still watch your old VHS tapes so stop moaning."

Notice that it was you is created the "division" there, not someone else.

"(and uneducated film critics) to make others believe there opinions are as important or well founded as those who do like the PT."

Interesting viewpoint. Would the "uneducated film critics" be the ones who agree or disagree with you?

Here are some other past comments you've made about "believing one's opinions are as important" as other.

"Threads", the minorities and majorities of a single thread have nothing to do with any debate whatsoever (Overall maj/min do!)- its just something that comforts you, because you feel part of a group."

"I do not tie myself to a group because it forces and creates false opinions from me. I prefer to stick to my own guns and make up my own mind."

An assertion which you consistently contradict.

"The fact of the matter is that a great majority of us adore them and are greatly anticipating Episode III."

"because its grouping your opinions to meet each others and provide each other with a comfort that FOR ONCE - you are in a majority."

What is with this need of yours to categorize people? (and put yourself into a "group", despite your claims to the contrary.)

Why can't you understand that any given Star Wars fan will like and dislike different aspects of each Star Wars film? (How would you categorize a person who only likes 1-2 films of both trilogies?) Instead, you try to psychoanalyze the fans, and then pigeonhole them into nice little groups, so you can look down on them. This is a consistent motif in your posts, and it's very telling. Whatever your goals may have been, they are greatly hindered by your own prejudices. You should focus on the films, rather than the fans. [face_plain]

So, to answer your questions...

"Does anyone else agree that this division is false? Or do you have any evidence to the contrary?"

No. Yes.

6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    This ?division? is obviously created by themselves (and uneducated film critics) to make others believe there opinions are as important or well founded as those who do like the PT.

Well no the 'division' isn't created by anyone, it came about because a significant number of fans dislike TPM or the PT. And speaking for myself - I think my opinion IS as important and valid as those who do like the PT.

There is no division. If the fans were perhaps split 70/30 or 60/40 then there would be a divided fan base, but there is no proof to say this is the case.

Well how exactly are you going to add up the numbers? What constitutes a 'Fan'? That will be very difficult. What about the fans who have left fandom because of the prequels and consequently don't vote in polls here or wherever.

I just think you have to go with your own perception based on internet, messageboards, letters pages, talking to fans etc. And my feeling is that a significant number of fans ARE disappointed. Now what is significant - well, I can't say, it's just my perception of the factors involved.

Likewise, those that disliked the OT or any of the OT sequels were in such a minority there was no substantial ?division?.

I'd agree with you there, most of the fans seemed to love ESB and ROJ (with some reservations). but that 'minority' was a lot larger for the PT.
    And rightly so IMO - TPM has major flaws, and this will hobble the rest of the trilogy.

g

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.