main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga There Is Not a Way Out (Count Dooku vig)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by CmdrMitthrawnuruodo, Dec 9, 2012.

1. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Title: There Is Not a Way Out
    Author: CmdrMitthrawnuruodo
    Timeline: TCW, just before Dark Rendezvous
    Characters: Dooku
    Genre: Angst, mild Horror, Dream
    Summary: They say the dreamscape is our subconscious trying to tell us something about our lives, for Count Dooku it is a nightmare that he cannot escape.
    Author Notes: Just one of those bunnies that bit me hard in my dreams and demanded I write it down now regardless of the fact that I should be sleeping.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-

There Is Not a Way Out

Writing cannot comfort me tonight, but I must pen this down anyway. Dreams, they say it is the subconscious trying to tell you something about yourself and life. I never believed that but after this one, I am not so sure anymore.

I don't dream often anymore. I had learned to sleep without them and yet when I do dream on those rare occasions, they are nightmares. This one is no different from the others that I have had since this war began.

I am in the Temple on Coruscant. The grand halls are empty. I am alone. There is no one else here. No sound, no buzz of quiet conversation, not even the laughter of children and friends.

I am alone, as I knew I would always be. Yet I do not wish to be alone, especially here. The halls as I remember them use to feel overwhelmingly stifling from all the Jedi that had resided here. Now the place seems too big with no one here.

Overwhelmingly big that I feel more stifled and claustrophobic from the emptiness than I ever had when it was occupied. I cannot stand the void that the empty halls of the Temple were creating. I do not want to be alone, but alone I am.

My feet carry me through the courtyard and the Grand Hall; past the empty chambers and training salons, no soul within when I knew there should be someone sparring. The gardens are just as empty and dead as everything else, the once crystal clear waters had become brackish and the plant life petrified with time. How long have the halls of this Temple been empty? I had seen no sign of the passage of time until now. I would have looked further but I have no control over my feet.

They carry me forward and past the grand library of the Jedi Archives, of what I could see the chamber was the same as everywhere else. Empty. Where there should have been students and masters and knights perusing the computers and stacks, there was only the quiet hum of electronics and the twenty busts of the Lost. There was no one within, not even Jocasta whom I knew would choose to die there rather than abandon the place.

I continued on past other places I recognized and felt the pain of emptiness from each one. There was nothing here. No Jedi anywhere. Even I did not count as one and even if I had, the thought of being the only one there, was disturbing. I was alone.

The dream carried me into the central lift that would take me to the top of the central spire. I was not surprised to find it as empty as every place else. There should have been an aide at the desk delegating the appointments waiting outside the Council chamber. Jedi and dignitaries both. The grand doors were open and I unwillingly approached the empty chamber within. The twelve seats were vacant, even Master Yoda's was empty and it seemed so strange to see it thus so.

As soon as I stepped inside the chamber, the doors shut behind me and I regain control of my body. I tried to leave, not wanting to be locked in the empty chamber alone. I did not like being alone, especially here. The doors would not open.

A sound caught my attention and I turned to see the large windows of the tower had disappeared along with the cityscape beyond them. I felt a warm breeze and heard the crash of ocean waves as I cautiously stepped past the seats and out onto the cliff of some grass plains. Beyond the edge was a frothing sea and out into the open grasslands a herd of nerfs were peacefully grazing. But the peace I felt here could not last. It never does in my dreams, making it feel like I am desperately trying to grasp onto it but only to lose it as I do.

I was right. I wish I hadn't been. A loud explosion erupted in the midst of the herd and I felt in the Force the peace shatter and the nerfs wink out of existence from the exploding ordinance. Their pain and terror became mine for a brief moment and I tried to shut it out as a battle broke out between clonetroopers and droids. I backed up to get away from the fighting and the dying clones and wildlife. What I was picking up in the Force was too intense even for my liking. It was as if the Force was crying in pain with each life that was destroyed, even the burning grass caused the Force to scream.

My hands clutched at my head. I tried to block it out. I tried to close myself to the Force but I couldn't. The life that was dying would not allow me to focus. I stepped back further to get away, feeling disoriented and in pain from the Force.

I felt my foot meet air and I cried out in shock and terror as I realized I had backed too far and right off the cliff side. I fell, desperately grasping at nothing to halt my decent. The cliff grew smaller and smaller and smaller until it was nothing but a pinprick above me. I knew I should have hit rock bottom long before than but do not understand why. I was falling and it seemed endless and to last forever.

Then, when I began to believe that it would never come to an end, a great splash sprayed all around me as I finally crashed into a body of water. I swam upward, the bright surface not far and yet seemed very much so. My lungs began to burn as I struggled to reach the light, my hands reaching out for it and unable to break through. I could feel the darkness surrounding my vision, clouding it. I did not wish to die this way and tried to will the surface to me. It would not come and I came no closer. The darkness consumed me as I drowned in its murky waters.

I awoke again in a village. I know not how I got there, only that I was. I wasn't alone this time. There were people shambling about in a dazed like state. But something was terribly wrong. Contusions grew on their skin where it was exposed. They looked tired and ill. They did not notice me except for three children. I recognized them.

Jedi children.

But more than that. I knew Qui-Gon no matter what age he was. The second was a face I did not wish to see, but there was no mistaking the blonde tresses and piercing blue eyes of my former best friend, Lorian. The last was of an impish Jocasta and the haunted look in her eyes were reflected in the others and chilled me to the core. They moved toward me, crying and gasping in pain as the dark sickened them, their faces pleading for mercy. I shook my head and tried to step back from this twisted horror of the three people that had meant something to me at some point in my life, but my feet were rooted in place.

They kept coming until all three collapsed at my feet in a dead heap. Their empty eyes staring up at me, accusingly. I could not look anymore and closed my eyes, wishing this nightmare would come to an end.

I knew it would not. They never do when I want them to. The Force was cruel that way.

When I opened my eyes again I was back in the Temple but this time it was not empty. There were bodies everywhere, of Jedi and clones, masters and younglings. The pain I could feel in the Force as I picked up on the sounds of fighting was overwhelming. I retreated from the sight, seeking sanctuary in a room that manifested into the Council chamber. I closed the doors with the Force and barricaded it with the chairs.

The sounds of fighting drew closer. The growing dark hungered. I wanted out. The dark is seeping through. I turned in search of a way out. The dark is coming. I could not find a way out.

It is coming.

I cannot find a way out.

It is coming.

There isn't a way out.

It is coming.

There is... not a way...

END

So.... what do you think?

Hope this posted right. Used my phone to write it (was too lazy to get out of bed and flip the PC on) so I don't know if it did or not. If it didn't I'll fix it in the morning. XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    You captured the essence of nightmares very well.

oh, and it does seem it posted fine.

3. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Creepy situation for Dooku--too bad he didn't take it to heart. Good, dark little set of scenes.

4. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Alexis_Wingstar Thank you. It helps to have vivid dreams and, unfortunately, vivid nightmares. Dooku has my sympathies.

Luna_Nightshade Very creepy. Well, one could say he kinda did in Dark Rendezvous, but a certain pair of Jedi foiled things for him. ;) I'm glad you enjoyed the scenes.

5. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Thoroughly. Enjoyed. It. @};- ^:)^

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    benknobi1 Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Chilling...and to think, there really was no outrunning the dark in canon.

8. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    @Valairy_Scot Very true. Once the dark has you, it will not easily let go. He did try to find a way out, briefly, before his paranoia of betrayal and his mistrust enslaved him further to the dark.

This message brought to you by the letter S and by the letter W.

9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That was well done but a shame Dooku felt hopeless.

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Amazing and gripping. =D= =D= I kept wanting him to wake up too. Very surreal and realistic to the "I'm trapped!" feeling when one is caught in a nightmare loop. :eek:

Cushing's Admirer likes this.