1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Brisbane (28th-30th November)

Oceania There should be NO Dual Citizenship

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The Gatherer, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    There should be NO dual citizenship in this country.

You are either an Australian citizen or not.

What annoys me is that English and New Zealand citizens can live in this country for YEARS, and not become an Australian citizen. They live here for what could be their whole lives, yet declare their allegience and citizenship to another country. What annoys me even more, I think that the English and potentially even the New Zealanders can vote in our elections.

I believe that the large English population in South Australia who are not Australian citizens, were able to vote in the Republic Referendum for example, heavily to the No vote. I believe that this is an outrage.
  2. Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, duel citizenship is not always something you can affect.

Being born to two Americans, I am and always will be an American. Having been born in an Italian hospital, I am alsop an Italian citizen. I neither asked for, nor wanted Italian citizenship. Yet I still have it.

So it could be a question of not having a choice.

Another is that I, personally, think it is cruel to force someone to renounce the citizenship of the country of their birth.

Years ago, my aunt visited Norway, fell in love, and decided to stay. In order for her to recieve any kind of benefits as a spouse, in order to even get a driving license, in order to get medical treatment, she had to renounce her American citizenship. She hated having to do that, but such was her love that she did it, despite the pain of having to deny her American citizenship.

To force someone to deny thier heritage is reprehensible.
  3. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Yes - I see your point. However, not ALL countries have dual citizenship... I don't think America has.

However, my main point are the English and New Zealanders who are allowed to live here for unlimited amout of time, without actually becoming an Australian citizen.
  4. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    > What annoys me even more, I think that the English and potentially even the New Zealanders can vote in our elections.

They pay taxes to your government don't they? Do they have no right as to influence what happens to that money?

5. Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yes - I see your point. However, not ALL countries have dual citizenship... I don't think America has.

Not sure about that, I'll have to get back to you. I still have Italian citizenship against my will (can't go back til I'm 36, lest they draft me in their military).

However, my main point are the English and New Zealanders who are allowed to live here for unlimited amout of time, without actually becoming an Australian citizen.

Well, it all comes down to what kind of rights they have as such. What can they do? Do they pay taxes, etc?
  6. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    I believe that the large English population in South Australia who are not Australian citizens, were able to vote in the Republic Referendum for example, heavily to the No vote. I believe that this is an outrage.

Good heavens. You mean people that have been living here for a while wanted a say in what the country's future might be?

Those damn English. They'll be the death of us true Australians.

7. Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Master

star 4
    Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with dual citizenship.

I was born and raised in Yugoslavia and I moved to Australia about 6 years ago. I have both Australian and Yugoslavain citizenship. If i wasn't allowed Yugoslavian citizenship just because I live in Australia, I would not be able to go and stay in Yugoslavia for more then 2 months... to the place where I was born, raised and where a large proportion of my family lives. If I wanted to go for a visit longer then 2 months, I would have to aquire a living visa, hence denouncing my Australian citizenship. I would not be able to reaply for that citizenship when I came back for years. HOWEVER, because I have 2 citizenships, I can go there using my Yugoslavian passport and come and go as I please.

So you see, in my case, I have nothing against dual citizenship.
  8. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Each to their own and stay out of OUR country eh Gath?

I can hear the unthinking beating of one's chest from here. Do you need to compensate for something?
  9. Darth-Tom Jedi Master

star 4
    Well i have dual citizenship and i rather enjoy it. Sure makes going through Heathrow a lot faster!

Gatherer - my (humble) advice to you. Live your life man. Stop worrying about every damn issue that pops into your head. Find something that replaces all these negative thoughts. Try to see the beautiful things around you instead. Otherwise you may end up dying with a lot of regrets.

Life is too short! Why waste it pondering matters like these.
  10. Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey, I think it's pretty unreasonable to have to lose your birth countries citizenship just because you happen to move to Australia. I lived in South Africa for nine years of my life, so over half of it, and came here in year 4. I have my Australian citizenship, and South African, so where's the harm in having a citizenship to two countries? And as was said earlier: if people live here for ages, why can't they vote in their own countries' elections?

I think this forum is becoming to political...
  11. Darth-Tom Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooooooh just beat ya rabby!

12. Scott_M Jedi Master

star 4
    However, not ALL countries have dual citizenship... I don't think America has.

Nor does Singapore, which is a pain. Because if the First Lady has to give her Singaporean citizenship up, the chances of her ever getting it back if she wanted to are practically nil.

And what's more I think my daughter should have access to both.
  13. CCD Jedi Master

star 4
    Well i have dual citizenship and i rather enjoy it. Sure makes going through Heathrow a lot faster!

Totally :D

BTW Gath, not only am I English but I voted NO at the referendum. I hope this annoys you.
  14. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9

I'm able to get citizenship from the Netherlands. So I might just do that - because I can.

And I voted "No" too! [face_devil]

ES
  15. messicat_kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Of course there should be dual citizenship, plenty of people live in one country for six months and spend the rest of the year in another country. That kind of stuff is pretty common these days, so having dual citizenship would make travel easier for people in that kind of situation.

Besides, we're a "global community" and all that jazz these days, can't see why it's a bad thing.
  16. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    "Gatherer - my (humble) advice to you. Live your life man. Stop worrying about every damn issue that pops into your head. Find something that replaces all these negative thoughts. Try to see the beautiful things around you instead. Otherwise you may end up dying with a lot of regrets."

Sorry Darth-Tom for trying, in my own way, to be proactive, and try and find things that (in my own opinion) can be improved i this country. I am not worrying about things, I am looking for ways to make things better.
  17. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    "BTW Gath, not only am I English but I voted NO at the referendum. I hope this annoys you."

Thats fine, I just take comfort that like most English, you probably don't wash...
  18. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I think this forum is becoming to political...

Well, all I am TRYING to do is to promote and start discussion (which you have to admit, I think I have suceeded)... over the last six months or more, this forum as become rather dull, boring and SLOW.

This IS a message board after all. A place of discussion.
  19. Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus

star 5
    Yes, but not necessarily political discussion. And on top of that, seeing so many threads (especially on the one type of topic) by one person is very off-putting, Gath.
  20. BarWars Jedi Knight

star 1
    CCD always looks fairly clean...

21. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    CCD - that comment was in jest by the way! ;)

Shara, what do you define as political threads? I only see one by me:

Hypocracy (which has turned into the Aborigine thread which was locked) - Social Issues.

Taxation - Tax issues

Dual Citizenship - Social Issues

The last politics thread that I started was a long time ago, most likely the Republic threads.
  22. Darth-Tom Jedi Master

star 4
    Gath - discussion is cool and everything, but it's much better when it is just natural. We all have at least one common interest here, so things will pick up!

Whats the point of just throwing things out there just to start a (pointless in this case) discussion?

No offence, but you really were scraping the bottom of a barrell, that was inside an even bigger barrell on this one.

I like having lots of passports. It makes me feel cool and important - which is good, coz i totally am :)

23. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Is your real name Jason Bourne? ;)
  24. Darth-Tom Jedi Master

star 4
    hehe no way man, im buffer, tougher, and totally better looking ;)
  25. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.