main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania There should be NO Dual Citizenship

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The Gatherer, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Surely there are better things to discuss than citizenship, taxation, and the like. Surely we as a group have more in common than just this...

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How can this be too political? It's a refernce of people's tastes. if people wanted other topics, they'd post them, right?

E_S

3. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Indeed. Everyone is welcome to discuss a wide variety of topics here, provided they fall under the "family friendly" (ha!) category. Feel free to start a topic if you have something to discuss, I'm all for it if it's suitable for the boards. :)

4. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Then why the hell don't you ever approve my cheese and canned cream related threads, eh?

5. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm against canned cream. It's abuse of cream rights to put it in a can like that.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    HawkNC, isn't the act of putting canned cream AND cheese together the ultimate in emancipation? :p

E_S

7. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Um...yes. Yes it is.

*Quickly runs to look up "emancipation"*

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Emancipate means to set free. So, if you're worried about what canning does to cream, you should be happy because putting it with the cheese undoes all the evil associated with the initial canning. :D

E_S

9. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Ah, so just because it was only canned for a period of time and we let it go, means that it was right to can it in the first place? :p

10. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Haha! :)

So do canned produce have citizenship? ;)

11. messicat_kenobi

messicat_kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Check individual cans for details.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    [color]HawkNC[/b], it's only OK if we mix it with cheese. Then, and only then.

E_S

13. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    It's not too political, but some of the views of some people might offend others...such as homophobic or racist comments that don't need to be said. It's a good thing I'm not gay or an Indigenous Australian, is all I'm saying...

But that's my opinion...

14. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I'm all for Dual citizenship. Although I have an Australian Citizenship because I was born here, I also have a Brit one, because of my father.

It's kind of cool being a citizen of a country that I have only been to for three days in my entire life.

15. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I really also like my dual citizenship. I was born in Hong Kong and I really like having dual citizenship, it means that I can get through customs a lot quicker.

I also feel proud of being Hongkie and I would not want to renounce my citizenship unless it was absolutely necessary.

16. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    I am entitled to UK Citizenship on account on my mother being dual Irish/Australian, but currently I only hold an Australian passport.

My Mum's brother married a Canadian, and half their kids were born here, half born there. They are all dual citizens, they are proud of both their heritages, as well as of our Irish heritage, as I am. To want to deny what we are and and what makes us is wrong.

17. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

My mother has dual citizenship and Oz and UK passports. And she showers at least once a day, which is much more often than my father, who was born in Australia and only has Australian citizenship. So maybe check your sources again on that one.

As for being entitled to vote, I would sooner give the right to vote to someone who has been working here for decades than someone who was born here and just turned 18.

And yes, this forum is far too political. That's why people are fleeing to the state forums.

18. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    What really annoys me about people with dual-citizenship, is that they leave the country when there are troubled times.

For example, look at the Greeks during the Vietnam war. They sent their sons back to Greece like cowards to avoid conscription, and when the war was over, they slinked back like cowards. My Dad fought in Vietnam, and told me this, so I have to respect his opinion and eyewitness account.

Oh, I am sure that I will be defamed for my opinions yet again, but if you weren't alive during the 60's and 70's and knew what happened, or know someone that was alive then and knew what happened, please don't bother posting, as you will make a fool of yourself.

19. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    What is with this typical stiff-upper-lip-old-fashioned-(dare I say, masculine? *hides to avoid the imminent retorts to that one* ;)) obsession with avoiding cowardice and country honour?
    I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with fighting sometimes - it's a job that needs to be done I guess, and I know I'd never be able to do it.
    However, it certainly isn't right to criticise people who feel that they cannot go around slaughtering others. It's a personal choice and everyone's different!
    And I know I'm not as old as you, but still, with all of the fighting going on today it's just as relevant.

20. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    No, basically, it is a lack of patriotism.

21. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    "please don't bother posting, as you will make a fool of yourself."

Your own advice, I give back to you.

22. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Don't even get me started on patriotism. I think a person should be willing to defend their own freedoms, but to quote a crappy movie ( :p), "I ain't dying for a cause I don't believe in".

23. JediMasterKieca

Nov 30, 2000
    I think you're confusing patriotism with blind obedience..

Had the war been in America's backyard, I have no doubt the situation would have changed and those people would have stood there and fought to protect their own homes.
    However, the war wasn't there. It was on the other side of the world, in a country where the so-called "enemy" never actually posed the enormous threat made out to the public - twas all political.
    So, the conscription and fighting was not actually a form of patriotism - it was poor people picked up off the streets by higher powers told to go fight somewhere else, because the leaders of the country said they had to, not because it was patriotic for their country. (Unless you call following the will of the people in charge patriotic..) They weren't fighting for their own country - it wasn't even in their own country!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging out your father. I have a deep respect for anyone who's been subjected to anything like that. If anything, I feel so sorry that he was forced to do what he had to do. He got ripped off, big time :(

24. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I just find it hypocritical that when you ask someone, or talk about patriotism, ie: 'what are you'... in terms of background, etc...

If someone has a Greek background for example, but was BORN in this country, they will say they are Greek, not Australian. Same with Vietnamese, Italians, etc... (There is a high population of Greeks in Darwin, not sure why, but there are many at work, and they have displayed this attitude).

For example, if you asked this same question to Caucasians, they would obviously say that they are Australian. They would not answer that they are Anglo-Saxon, or British, etc...

I just don't understand why people from other cultures are proud to admit that they are Australian.

If they did, it would bring a common bond to us all.

25. JediMasterKieca

Nov 30, 2000
    Doesn't always work like that.
    When people ask me what I am, I say Australian, even though my immediate background is Polish and Irish :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.