main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania There should be NO Dual Citizenship

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The Gatherer, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Citizenship is just another way to put people into collectives.

What about the INDIVIDUAL??!!!

2. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    What about common ground?

3. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Well there's a difference between saying "I'm from Brisbane" rather then "I'm a Brisbanite".

They may just mean the same thing but **** it I don't care. :p

4. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Where's the love, Nyder? What's citizenship ever done to you? ;) [face_plain]

5. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    I rekon pants are just a way to put people into collectives.

People, remove you're pants. You're all sheep!

6. foxy_kenobi

foxy_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    [face_talk_hand] No fellas, please don't! ^;^

You've got me anticipating Gatherers' return now, it had better be worth it! ^.~

7. Ayla_Kenobi

Ayla_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    I agree with Foxy. Expect heaps of posts.

8. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

Brian:
    Your all individuals!!!!

Crowd:
    Yes, we are all individuals

9. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    I'm not.

10. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Neither am I. I much prefer being someone without an identity that belongs solely to a collective... [face_plain]

11. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.

12. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Hey, now I don't want to be in the same gene pool as a certain individual on these boards who shall remain nameless. Belonging to a collective is fine, but belonging to the same collective as him is just too far... ;)

13. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    So I make profound expostulation at The Gatherer's racist and ill informed arguement.

Um, JEDIPAULAW, how does wanting Australian citizens to only have one passport - an AUSTRALIAN passport - make that a racist statement? Please think before you post, because the comment is utterly rediculous.

So everyone say, "HI GATH!"

Hello.

One of the points that I was trying to make when starting this thread is only a few countries in the world allow dual citizenship / passports. Unfortunately, we are one of those. This dilutes patriotism. For example, during the Vietnam war, all the Greeks who had dual-passports shipped their kids who were the age of being consripted, back to Greece to avoid the war. When the crisis was over, the slunk back to this country. Also like New Zealanders. They come here to have children under our superior health / medicare system, then go back to their own country. Thankfully the Howard Government this year has put more stops on New Zealanders abusing our welfare system. I think something to the effect of become a citizen, or go back to NZ.

If refugees genuinely do not want to have a single Australian passport and become a citizen, and they want to keep the passport of their original country, then when the crisis is OVER in their home country, then they can go back.

You guys are a bunch of unthinking idiots. 'Citizenship' is just a meaningless word used for justification to coerce people in following made up 'laws'. People should be 'allowed' to go to any country they want and work without bothering with this stupid thing called 'citizenship'. Because 'citizenship' doesn't mean anything, except as another euphemism employed by Government (ie. such as a 'King' and his 'subjects').

Nyder, I guess you are just another person advocating the destruction of the sovereign nation state, and support globalism / one world government... great... another one.

So if there is a major crisis in China, and ONLY 1% of the population decide to leave, and seek refuge and want to work in Australia, that is an astonishing 1 MILLION people! How would our economy and infrastructure support that? I guess idealism is a quick shortcut to realistic and practical thinking.

I love how you come out of the shadows to cast judgement on everyone else's intelligence whilst being an economic rationalist at the same time. The irony may be thick and fast but you don't want people choking on the bs, do you Nyder?

Ender_Sai... wow, I am confused! Can't work out if you are defending my argument of having no dual-citizenships, or if you are just attacking Nyder?

I'm just saying, when we're debating something as stupid as dual citizenship, we might as well wait till Gath comes back so he can say some outlandish crap and we can all pull it apart...

How about we just debate your sense of patriotism then Ender? I admire that the USA does not allow dual-citizenships. At least they have the attitude "love it, or leave it".

Nyder v Gatherer death match, anyone?

As John Kerry would say BRING IT ON! ;)

14. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Well look who it is...did you miss us, Gath? ;)

15. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Of course I missed you! ;)

16. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    didya miss me?

17. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I missed EVERYONE! Even the people who fanatically hated me! ;)

18. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    I don't think people hate people on the Boards. Dislike, maybe, but that would come from people disagreeing with other people's viewpoints is all... :p
    And that said, I don't dislike you, Gath.

19. Ayla_Kenobi

Ayla_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    America does have dual citizenship

20. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    I do not hate you Gath, as fellow earthlings I tolerate you.

21. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    The only reason Gath missed everyone is because he took the sights off his rifle!! ;)

22. Quinten_JarVos

Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2004
    I am a dual citizen, My mother is english (Permanant Resident) and my father is aussie.

I've never seen england, I know I have family there and I must admit I would like to go visit. But when my mum made phone calls to become an Australian Citizen the advantages she gave her over being a perm resident were very few and far between.

It came down to some silly things like she is allowed to work for the Australian Fedral Goverment and she is allowed to apply to become a member of Parliament.

Now My mum already works for SA Gov and she has no desire to be a Politican. So where does this leave myself and my sister...

Well I, according to the English Goverment am a citizen there. Aussie Gov Says I am a citizen here...

I've worked for the Fed Gov and local gov and I've also been a city council member. Does me having a UK passport make me any less australian? No.. I only know I was there when I was a young baby.

The only advantage I know of with being a UK citizen as well as an Aussie is I can fly back and forth between the two countries without a visa.

Anyways... like it or dont, the goverments involved have these things set up for a reason. I know that my Uncles daughter was born in the US, she is a US and Aussie Citizen until the age of 18 when she has to make a choice of either being Aussie Citizen or US.

there my thoughts, and I know there random but anyway

Cheers

23. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Time for a comeback! [face_devil]

Nyder, I guess you are just another person advocating the destruction of the sovereign nation state, and support globalism / one world government... great... another one.

I don't support one world government, Gatherer. I support there being absolutely NO government monopoly.

As for the nation state - let's break it down. You have a land mass, with people living on it. Each of these people are individuals, they are not some kind of 'hive mind' working towards a singular goal. Then you have a minority of people who seek to control them using theft and violence. The mindset of politicians is that the state is some kind of 'organism', with them at the helm. Of course this is ridiculous - my goals are somewhat different to John Howard and Mark Latham - so how can they represent me?

So if there is a major crisis in China, and ONLY 1% of the population decide to leave, and seek refuge and want to work in Australia, that is an astonishing 1 MILLION people! How would our economy and infrastructure support that? I guess idealism is a quick shortcut to realistic and practical thinking.

Nice little strawman example.

However, let me tell you how this scenario would play out. The people would get in their boats for whatever reason (is the crisis economic or political?) and travel to Australia. Now assuming that a moronic leftist government doesn't decide to give them tons of welfare, they will have to work in order to survive. Many would even start their own businesses. Thus they can considerably add to the economy.

BUT I know what you're thinking - we already have unemployment (which government has a LOT to do with), and these refugees will only add to that unemployment. Well, people are smart enough to figure out that there are no jobs and will look elsewhere. Essentially, with a free market in global travel, it will have an equalising effect in economies because people will move to wherever there is a labour market demand. Problem solver-ed.

Nyder v Gatherer death match, anyone?

As John Kerry would say BRING IT ON!

Come get me ya big wuss!

24. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Nyder, there are places on Earth where there are no governemnts! You should move there :) They are called Somalia, Afghanisatn, and Sudan.

25. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    I don't see much of a difference between tribal warlord's rule and taking 'protection money' versus democratically elected governments ruling your life and taking 'taxes'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.