main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST There was a senate scene cut from TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Doop, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mute90

mute90 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    I really want to see that. It not only would have explained things, it would have added some emotion to Hosnian Prime exploding. As it is, it focused on a random woman. It was harsh, but I can't say it was all that great a scene because I didn't know who was getting blown up.

2. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    Korr Sella is my waifu, so yeah I think they should have kept it.

3. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    That is the main problem with this movie! It is too much action packed! I mean, I seriously couldnt catch a breath and comprehend all the info they were serving us all the time.. One screening is definitely not enough! Gonna see it tonight 2nd time and tomorrow..
    To think they have kept stupid rathrats attack scene and cut this off:mad:

Saga Explorer and Force22 like this.
  4. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    That would have helped for all the reasons already mentioned. A little more exposition was needed IMO to make it more real.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  5. floatlikegas

floatlikegas Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2010

So they are basically an autonomous body of the NR because NR doesn't want to actually fight the first order?
    Why are they called the resistance
    Feel free to spoil me I don't plan on reading aftermath

6. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I wonder if an extended edition is possible. They haven't done that before.

Chris_Fives and jaqen like this.
  7. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Did she appear in aftermath or something? Btw you're waifu is trash.

Rey>everyone else

8. Tipoca

Tipoca Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2014
    I really look forward to the Blu Ray release which hopefully will be packed with extra content. That by itself is another movie on its own.

9. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Definitely should have kept that scene in the film. People complain about the galaxy seeming "too small" (a complaint I disagree with, among many). IMM, showing the senate in the ST is a small way to show the galaxy is big and a small way to further emphasize the political state of the galaxy. There is far too much anti-PT going around and seemingly within the director's chairs of the directors of the ST films. That is very sad. Despite that I thought TFA was a great addition to the saga.

Jensaarai-defender likes this.
  10. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Be interesting if we get an extended cut. The added scenes in the special editions weren't the issue.

11. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I would have liked that scene. But, it got cut probably for the same reason other scenes get cut: It just didn't fit. The movie was already 2 hours 16 minutes, something has to go. Plus, it sounds like it didn't involve any of the main characters, which would be a big reason for it to get cut. God help it if it had Neimodians in it ;)

12. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The film did have a near perfect pace to it, though the exposition provided by the scene would have really cleared up a lot about the state of the Republic after ROTJ.

13. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    te Movie should have been 15 Minutes longer, to give explanation to such things.

smudger9 likes this.
  14. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998

you cant make me care about the New Republic by having their mortal enemy tell me why they are evil, and then expect me to extrapolate why they are actually good.

A much more effective way to make me care would be to show me (even briefly) the New Republic and a few characters. I think a scene showing Leia's emissary beg for help would not only have helped to make the audience care about the New Republic, it would also have showed how desperate and precarious the situation was for the Resistance.

McLaren and Mist1024 like this.
  15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Did you care about Alderaan?

16. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    I think it needed a touch more clarification it wasn't Coruscant. People just assume Senate = Coruscant because that is what we saw for 3 films.

Chris_Fives and 11-4D like this.
  17. Jar Jar All The Way

Jar Jar All The Way Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2014
    A quote from the scene could had been "we are not coruscant, we do not want war" or something along those lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

The film needed more dialogue of people talking! And stuff! :p

I'm just kidding. Seriously, yes that character is the resistance envoy sent to warn the senate of the rise of the FO's power. They ignore it and then they all get blown to smithereens in the film. The Visual Dictionary shows a still of the character with some kind of headset on. I'm thinking maybe that shot was from a scene of her being warned by Leia that trouble was headed their way.

Maybe in the TFA Extended or Special Edition? You know something extra will come out. This film is making too much money not to.

19. mute90

mute90 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 18, 2012

Alderaan had Leia as a representative as it was getting blown up. What planet it was, what the accusations were, why it was chosen; that was all explained by Tarkin while Leia explained why it shouldn't be harmed and was personally affected when it was. I cared about Alderaan because the writers made me care before they fired. That's not true of Hosnian Prime.

mdtauk, McLaren, Chris_Fives and 4 others like this.
  20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I would have loved a senate scene, but I actually enjoyed most of the politics of the PT.

But since this film is largely an ANH reboot/quasi-remake, they approached the Senate the same way it was originally approached in Star Wars; brief mention, in disgust, among the baddies and an attack by a super weapon to really drive home the point.

If you watch the films in chronological order I imagine the way ANH handles the senate talk now feels equally as inept.

nalkwan and MattOrgana like this.
  21. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998

exactly

mdtauk likes this.
  22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I thought the attack on Hosnian Prime was devastating, but muddled. If it was made clear that it was Coruscant, which is my personal favorite SW planet, the impact would've been considerable.

As it stands when they showed the surface just thinking it might be Coruscant caused an emotional prickle for me.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  23. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    I'm glad that scene wasn't included in TFA, even if it would have spelled out the intergalactic politics.

The focus of this first film should have been on the characters, both past and new. We didn't see Palpatine dissolving the Senate on Coruscant in ANH. We never saw any Imperial presence in ANH other than one Star Destroyer and the Death Star. And it worked.

And TFA worked too. If anything, there could have been more trivial Jakku scenes of Rey's daily struggles. But it was already a long film for SW. I'll see it again soon, but on first viewing it works well as-is.

24. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    As great as TFA was the attack was a little confusing. Some exposition that this place was the Republic capital of but not Coruscant would have been helpful. I initially thought it was Coruscant though a brief glimpse of what seemed to me like terrain in the distance then left me then doubtful. I do not even recall that the name Hosnian Prime even being used in the movie.

Since the attack was somewhat like the Star Wars version of the attack on Pearl Harbor, I simply thought of the planet as the Pearl Harbor planet.

25. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    But, on ANH, the state of the galaxy was spelled out in the opening crawl - an "evil Empire" and so on. There was no such explanation either in the opening crawl or during the progression of the movie. I would agree that it is a somewhat minor point since the movie works rather well within going deep into the weeds, but it would have made the significance of the destruction of Hosnian Prime much clearer as well as the relationship between the New Republic, the Resistance and the First Order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.