main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

There were going to be 12 Star Wars movies...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth-Mule, Jun 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Mule

Darth-Mule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    Saw this on the OS. It's an interview with GL in an issue of 'Bantha Tracks' around the time ESB came out. Thought you might find it interesting.

SW: At one point there were going to be twelve Star Wars films.

GL: I cut that number down to nine because the other three were tangential to the saga. Star Wars was the fourth story in the saga and was to have been called Star Wars: Episode Four A New Hope. But I decided people wouldn't understand the numbering system so we dropped it. For Empire, though, we're putting back the number and will call it Episode Five: The Empire Strikes Back. After the third film in this trilogy we'll go back and make the first trilogy, which deals with the young Ben Kenobi and the young Darth Vader.

SW: What is the third trilogy about?

GL: It deals with the character that survives Star Wars III and his adventures.

2. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    Interesting. Never knew about 12 episodes. But I've heard that there were gonna be nine. Most Interesting. :)

3. young_padme

young_padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 23, 2002
    SW: What is the third trilogy about?

GL: It deals with the character that survives Star Wars III and his adventures.

What character do you think he was talking about? One introduced in Episode III? or am I not thinking and forgetting one we already know?

4. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    If this "character that survives ep.3" is a Jedi, he could be reffering 2 either Obi-Wan or Yoda.

5. Artoo_Threepio

Artoo_Threepio Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2003
    So this means that there are going to be episodes 7, 8 and 9?

6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    No, there will not be a ST(sequel trilogy), because GL changed his mind once again.
    I think that he meant ROTJ when he said "Star Wars 3", because back then ANH was known to most people as just "Star Wars".

And it still is, I think!

7. son-of-skywalker13

son-of-skywalker13 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 27, 2002
    when he say "the character that survives" he is talking about Luke, however he decided he didnt want to spend all the time it required to make 3 star wars movies.

8. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    The story for 7-9 was condensed into RoTJ. Jedi was orignially limited to the defeat of Vader and the 7-9 movies dealt with Luke growing in power, searching for his sister (not Leia), and confronting and defeating the emperor.

Sorry I can't find the source for that info. It was posted on one of these boards a few months back.

9. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    I wonder what the Fourth trilogy ( 10,11 and 12 ) would have been about?? Anakin's great grandchildren?

10. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Apparently, in Lucas's original plans from the 1970s for the prequel trilogy, one villain character was to have survived, unbeknownst to the characters (but knownst to us...okay, my one Spaceballs reference of the year ;)), and was to drop out of sight for the "middle" trilogy (Episodes IV, V, and VI), and then reappear in the third trilogy as the main enemy of the Skywalkers, with enhanced powers.

You might also check out the May, 1983 issue of Time Magazine with ROTJ on the cover...in it, Lucas discusses his story plans for the third set of films, and manages to give away secrets that I've seen nowhere else.

11. darth_drunkard

darth_drunkard Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2003
    What i read about the sequel trilogy was that the emporer is still the bad guy, the empire is still around. In return of the jedi, luke was supposed to redeem vader then the sequel trilogy would be about father and son trying to defeat the empire and the emporor.

i have no official citing for this information, but im pretty sure it was in
    a issue of the insider back in the day.

12. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    the hope of a might-have-been

if this had happened, 12 movies would we have a better SW?

13. wedge 45

wedge 45 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 8, 1999
    Letto II, would you please be good enough to explain the substance of that Time article?

14. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    yes, does anyone have some direct quotes from GL or TIME?

15. Dark_Master713

Dark_Master713 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2002
    Well what i have gathered from it all is the there were originally 9 episodes. now i read there are were 12( i learn something new every day). GL started with 4-5-6 because they had the most action. The he decided he would make 1-2-3 and 7-8-9. then he backed out of 7-8-9 because he knew he wouldn't have time (life-wise). Well i figure that since he has only directed 1-2 and 4 thus far, and a new SW movie comes out every 3 years( not including the 20 yr span between 6 and 1), he could have ample time to make 7-8-9 right after finishing 3 if he wished too. Since SW gets all this publicity he might decide too make 7-8-9 in the future, but his life might also end around this time, therefore letting someone else (perhaps his son) direct 7-8-9 to make the saga complete.

Note: If GL were to make 7-8-9 and direct them himself he could start right after episode 3 that way we only wait 3 years for yet another SW. Since the story for 7-8-9 is already laid out in his head, he might keep it all a secret and wait 20 years to begin a sequel, or hopefully bring it all out in 3 years, which would give him ample amount of time to make all 3.

This is what i have gathered and my own theory, so please any comments on this are greatly appreciated :)

16. SsjBatman

SsjBatman Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2003
    I heard the big GL's son was going to make 7-9...

they also could make the in between stuff, like shadows of the empire.

I mean star wars has like 7 million books and stuff in between.

17. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    GL started with 4-5-6 because they had the most action. The he decided he would make 1-2-3 and 7-8-9. then he backed out of 7-8-9 because he knew he wouldn't have time (life-wise).

A common misconception. Lucas did not pluck Episode IV from a pre-planned series. He built the series around his first script, which then became the fourth episode. When he first started writing, there was no series planned. He broke his story into three pieces, then created a backstory for his own reference.

18. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Just to clear something up...

When it says "GL: It deals with the character that survives Star Wars III and his adventures." it means ROTJ, not Episode III. At the time ROTJ was often called "Star Wars III"

19. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    So ROTJ should be called "Star Wars VI". :D

20. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    Pleeeeeeease get that Time quote up. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.