main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming There Will Be Blue Shells: Mario Kart (8 Deluxe)

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Feb 23, 2008.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    They are also coming out with a Mario Kart version for the 3DS. Should definitely be interesting.

Here's the article below:

Mario Kart 3DS preview.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sadly don't have a 3DS yet so I haven't had the opportunity to play MK7 yet (something I'm quite looking forward to as I still find MKDS to be the best entry in the series so far), but have been playing a bit of MKW the past weekend as I got it it as a present for my sister and decided to play some multiplayer on my save file (since she wont be setting hers up til after the holidays at her house), and subsequently go back and finish off the 100cc to unlock some more stuff (I've really been enjoying the use of Mario on the sugarscoot, though have done a slight switch off from Mario to my Mii once I unlocked him).

Was reading there was some boost trick during recover from obstacles by hitting 2 at the right moment- can anyone clarify that? The descriptions I found weren't very specific as to what they were referring to.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Time to resurrect this thread as the release is almost upon us in a couple weeks.

Also worth noting that, besides the free game pre-order offers, there's also going to a mobile app for leaderboards and highlight reels.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I just posted in the Nintendo thread that the collector's edition is coming to the US, but you can only pre-order / buy it from the Nintendo World Store in NYC. WTH?

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I guess it makes some sense for there to be exclusives to the store- or at least more than just the t-shirts. Sucks for those out of range though.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Thankfully I have friends in NYC. They are going there tomorrow to pre-order it for me. [crosses fingers it's still available]

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm going to pass on the set- I don't need the blue shell unless I can throw it at people ;).

Plus, if Nintendo is going into NFC figures, I'm going to need the shelf space ;)

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  9. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The use of Blue Danube is really what makes that all the more sweeter.

Also, this is the first time I've noticed (that i can recall) that they're bringing back coins from the SNES version. That's pretty cool.

EDIT- MK7 brought them back, didn't know that. Only one I haven't played.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    My friends missed out on the pre-order event. It sold out in 3 days according to Twitter. Nintendo World Store claims that they will have some available for walk-ins at the launch event in NYC on the 29th of May. I will post my friends' success (or lack there of) sometime later. In the meantime, I will be buying the regular copy from Gamestop I guess.

Speaking of Gamestop, on May 17-18 select stores will have the game for "test drive" purposes. I will call my local store to confirm before going.

12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    My GameStop (Bloomsburg) is running a bracketed Mario Kart 8 tournament this Saturday starting at Noon. $25 GC to winner. Call to your local GameStop to sign up.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Working all day saturday, damn.

14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    :( Sorry, buddy.

I called today and spoke to the district manager at my local GameStop. She said Nintendo hasn't released any details on what they are sending to the store. I'm GUESSING it's going to be the same demo that went around the country last year during E3 that was exclusive to BestBuy. It would make sense as the demo is three stages with 2 laps each and each head-to-head match would take 8 minutes (based on YouTube videos at BestBuy and at E3 via IGN).

15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    We had a dozen people show up at my local GameStop for the tournament. It was single elimination to start where four people raced at once and the top 2 went on and the bottom two were eliminated. Unfortunately I was in the bottom two. :(

I usually play with Yoshi and someone else already picked him so that stunk. I ended up using DK. (The demo had all 30 players, so that was cool.)

There were 8 stages available in the demo version and each one was only 2 laps (like the demo from E3 last year). I needed that third lap to make my comeback after falling off the course! I was pretty much doomed.

I remember getting the piranha plant and the horn during my race. The plant was cool, but I wasn't sure if I needed to hit B to chomp or if it chomped on its own. The horn didn't help me when I was in 5th place. Also, if you get the banana or green shell and you hold it on the back of your cart for safe keeping and you come upon an item box, you do NOT get a new item. You have to release your "protection" to get something new.

The coin is back as an item. Whoopie-do! :p

After the tournament was finished (only took an hour) I got to try the new players like the koopalings and some of the other stages. The game is beautiful and a lot of fun. There was no doubt that I was buying it, but this definitely cemented it.

There was a level where you get shot into the sky into an anti-gravity area. You end up racing through a giant gray cloud, where there are lightning strikes coming from above and hitting the course in what appeared to be the same spots where the speed boost areas were, disabling them temporary. The anti-gravity elements really make things interesting and mix up the action a bit.

Drafting still exists to give you that much needed boost if you're stuck behind your opponent. Also, I shot a red shell as someone was gliding and it hit them down where Lakitu had to come pick them up, so that was pretty cool. I'm really psyched now.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  17. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Mario Kart 8 to be honest looks too much like Mario Kart 7 (which I owned and played). I think Mario Kart Wii (6) had a better character roster than the upcoming Mario Kart 8. I wish Dry Bones and Shy Guy had been included in the roster. :(

18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    While I do agree that (6) had a great roster, it didn't really matter to me, because I just used my Mii. The real reason I enjoyed (6) over 7 is because I like and prefer playing my Mario Kart on a television screen, so I welcome 8 with open arms.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Having not played 7 (which I hope to rectify later this year after I unlock most of 8's content), I'm really looking forward to seeing how the coin mechanic changes the modern game, not to mention 8's new weapons rules.

20. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I think maybe Nintendo Executives should consider taking Mario Kart further in the future. It is great that we have hang gliders and underwater submarine transformations of the kart. However, there has to be something more that can be to innovate the franchise. I love the Mario Kart games, but lately the sequels have felt redundant with just expansion pack worthy upgrades. Mario Kart: Double Dash was a major risk Nintendo took, but it changed up how you played the game enough to make it more interesting. I am not advocating a radical change, but something that would make you buy Wii U would be nice.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I dunno, the zero-G levels with the hover mode seems like a neat change up. Like some people were saying, the game now looks like "F-Zero with items".

That said, one of the greatest suggestions for the GamePad I read was a suggestion for a MK game where the GamePad player can change the race track terrain on the fly as the other 4 players race on it on the TV- thereby leveling the playing field (sometimes literally) between players of different skill levels since no one would be able to use fine memorization of track layouts to their advantage.

I'm hoping they do something like that for MK9 on whatever the next system ends up being (which will hopefully still use the GamePad).

Kato Sai likes this.
  22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    That is quite a compelling idea The2ndQuest. To have the track even just change between other tracks periodically would throw as racers off and level the playing field. You should consider pitching the idea to Nintendo. :)

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, if Nintendo doesn't do it next generation I'll do it myself- I just won't have quite the same level of appealing roster and weapon inventory ;).

Kato Sai likes this.
  24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
  25. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I forgot about this thread and was going to post this over in the Wii U thread.

Looks like Mario Kart 8 will support DLC and sponsorships.