main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming There Will Be Blue Shells: Mario Kart (8 Deluxe)

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Feb 23, 2008.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's so creepy. Ha!

EDIT- Interesting bit of trivia: the series started off as a two-player F-Zero-inspired game (as they couldn't get a 2 player mode in FZ in time for launch) with original characters before Mario was added in as a joke that stuck.

Corellian_Outrider and Kato Sai like this.
  2. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I think the Mario Kart franchise might be more popular than the actual canon Mario games: Super Mario Bros-Super Mario Galaxy 2. My reasoning is that Mario Karts are meant for multiplayer (especially 4-player). The canonical Mario Games typically are one player or two players max.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's also more variety- whereas even though 2-4 player modes are becoming more common in the main Mario series, results won't vary as much as in MK- and it's far less competitive than the base appeal of a race.

Kato Sai likes this.
  4. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I confess, after seeing the Mario Kart 8 commercial at the cinema and reading more about the game, I might have to buy a Wii U soon. :)

5. Boba_Fat83

Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    Just got it this morning.
    It is great…lot of fun…hopefully more people jump on the Wii U so that we can create a huge online community.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I had to come to work for an 8 AM meeting then I'm donating blood at 10 AM. I'm gonna grab some lunch, go buy the game and unlock as much as I can before my friends come over this evening. I can't wait!

7. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Please share some details of your experiences when you have some free time. :)

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The highlight reel is a neat extra feature- though I wish there was more precise controls over clip start/end points. For instance, I love the end shot of this clip below and would have preferred to isolate it (or combine it with that zero-G shell shot):

The Miiverse and youtube integration is handled rather well beyond that though.

Corellian_Outrider and Kato Sai like this.
  9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, this game has been a blast, though I'm only practicing in 50cc so far. I remember how crazy things get in 150cc, gotta practice a lot first before I try the tougher difficulties.

Kind of funny to be in first place and get coins instead of bananas though, a bit annoying as bananas are often useful as shields, as there are always shells of course. Haven't had a chance to use the Megahorn yet, only got it a few times and blue shells didn't show up then. The hovercraft areas are fun, especially bouncing off other racers, not to mention how it gives the courses more variety now. Slightly disappointed Rainbow Road was still three laps, I liked how in 7 Rainbow Road was one long course. The game looks great, haven't tried any of the social features yet, but now back to practicing. Now to see how bad 100cc is.

10. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    With online gaming becoming all the rage, I wonder what has kept Nintendo from allowing chat during Mario Kart races? I know they want to deter and discourage unsavory conduct while playing, but it also hindering players from making friends and having a good time.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I found 50cc way too easy but 100cc was just about right. 150cc will give you a challenge. Megahorn's blastwave is useful even if you're not using it against a blue shell. Piranha Plant is my favorite so far- it even eats up coins for you.

There are two no-lap courses in the game: a snow level and a repurposed N64 Rainbow Road (which was notorious for it's length with laps, I guess they wanted to prevent people from making online matches last unnecessarily long)

Did some local multiplayer tonight, had some bad luck with green shells (slow it down and you'll see i get hit with two shells at the same time before the 3rd hits).

The game is a blast but there are a few things that are either odd or feel like they're missing- yet aren't major enough to really detract from the game (plus could potentially be added in with an update down the road). The lack of an options menu of any sort was strange- since there are no more driver licenses there isn't really a quick way of tracking your progress.

Also, no option to switch from vertical split screen to horizontal for 2 player, which is really strange. I'm also surprised they didn't include an option to go full screen 2 player with Player 1 on the GamePad and Player 2 on the TV (the Gamepad just mirrors the split screen video if you have that option active). I also didn't see an option to enable a track map on the TV (it's on the Gamepad as an option, but that gives them an unfair advantage during Battle Mode).

Battle Mode also doesn't have any dedicated arenas- they battles are done on actual courses, which, again, is very strange.

I'm really hoping those issues will be addressed with a patch or through DLC. Otherwise the game plays well on all three controllers I tried (I still rather like the Wiimote/nunchuk controls, though the GamePad/Pro Controller work great. Outside of the track map and Miiverse features I think I'll stick to the Pro Controller though, if only for the battery life being ridiculously better than anything else) and looks gorgeous (the GCN desert retro level had a temple that made my jaw drop, and the detail on Grumble Volcano from the Wii version was outstanding).

Though I haven't tried it yet, you do have voice chat enabled for matches with Friends, just not regional or worldwide. Anyone you've played with recently stays on a "recent" list from which you can try to ad them as friends for future matches and, thus, gain access to voice chat features with them.

Kato Sai likes this.
  12. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I think the idea of making Battle Matches on the normal tracks could spell disaster. If you do not have sufficient players, it will take quite a while to find someone and hit them with a red shell or green shell. Besides, I always liked the Battle Stages, they were unique varients of the regular tracks and sometimes completely different than anything offered in 50cc, 100cc, and 150cc.

However, there is hope. As you have said The2ndQuest, there will be DLC and so Nintendo can iron out the bugs and add more content. It will be great if there are character packs! I'm thinking Dry Bones, Dry Bowser, even other color Yoshi's with their specials from Super Mario World (they have the Kooplings in this installment) and beyond!

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Battle Mode has COM player options to help fill the stage. One thing that IS very neat is that you stick around as a ghost after your balloons are popped, so you can take item boxes and fire weapons at other players who can't see you. Fun to interfere with people that way.

(then again that might not be a new feature- I admittedly have played very little Battle Mode outside of the SNES original and a handful of rounds from other versions as my friends and sibling preferred VS mode races)

Another odd detail is there is no last man standing balloon count option, it's all point and time based. You get ghosted after your balloons pop but there's no other to end the match when only one player's balloons remain (human wise).

14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Something that has puzzled me, is why Nintendo only releases one Mario Kart per console or handheld? Now that Mario Kart 8 is on the Wii U, fans will have to wait tell Nintendo WiiU&Me (placeholder name for next Nintendo Console) and the next handheld system. Why not have two Mario Karts this time? Make them vastly different somehow and thus make the Wii U more appealing to buy.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They take time to make the games and Nintendo generally has tried to avoid annual releases (the closest are sequels that were either more like expansion packs (Luigi U, LOZ:MM) or an extension of the original development (SMG2)). And if they make them too often then each release becomes less important/less of a system seller.

Not to mention, 1 is generally enough- MK(6) was still getting tons of play even earlier this year. And now that they have one that can be expanded via DLC, they have the option of extending the value of the current release while saving major changes and additions for the next platform.

16. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, considering how good most Mario Karts are, one game per system is usually enough. I still dig out Mario Kart DS occasionally, that was the one I played the most. Ever since, I've had a hard time holding both the accelerate and item button on the 3DS (my hands are too big and fat).

Speaking of the DS, its wonderful to see the old tracks redone for the Wii U, they all look great and the hovercraft additions feel very natural.

It might just be me, but I really hate red shells in this version. Being struck by lightning mid jump is normal for Mario Kart, but not sure if red shells could track that far before. Not to mention the typical "everybody but you has red shells and fires them at you one after another".

150cc is annoying, but that's normal. Hm, still debating whether to just keep working at 150cc (think I'm making progress, though sometimes its just luck) or go back to 100cc and practice there.

17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

Review by Kato Sai

[face_skull] Spoilers!!! You Have Been Warned. [face_skull]

Today I played Mario Kart 8 Demo Version. Here is my analysis.

The graphic were gorgeous, but the aesthetics and ambiance felt almost identical to Mario Kart 7.

The Tracks were visually appealing, but I found most of them to be redundant and that few of the interesting elements in the background could be interacted with. However I only had time to try three tracks: Mario Kart Stadium, Cloudtop Cruise, and Water Park. Of the three, I felt Water Park was the most unique and had more variant when it came to objects to encounter and penalties for poor driving. I imagine if got to test more tracks I might feel differently, but first impressions have merit.

As for the items. I got the fabled Super Horn, which created a path of desolation before me (however, there was no Blue Shell to test Its true purpose). I got the Potted Piranha Plant which acted quite similar to Chain Chomp in both Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart Double Dash, but for a fan it was a delight to have a pesky Piranha on your side for once. I got the Boomerang Flower, and I must say that it quite a fun item. You get to throw is three times and it comes back. In this way it acts like the Three Green Shells, but rival racers cannot bump into you to remove your boomerangs. The Coins item acts as it did in Mario Kart 7, from what I gathered from playing coins give you better speed like in Mario Kart 7, and Super Mario Kart (Nintendo going retro!). I did not get the Crazy Eight item, but since it only gives you eight items from the classic roster (with exception of the coins) I do not feel I missed out on much. All the classic items have returned in full force, Red Shells ruin racers ahead of you, Green Shells make you feel grand when you hit someone, and all the rest remind you of older days, when you dominated the track.

The racers I got to race with were Metal Mario, Metal Peach, Shy Guy (He's in the game!), Yoshi and Larry Koopling. I had the most fun with Metal Mario because when he collides with other racers they bounce off him. It was pleasure to be Shy Guy, who I read was not going to be in the game. Shy Guy is one of my favorite character or minions depending on if you talking about the multitude of the Shy Guy species or just the character who often is featured in Mario Party Games. Metal Peach was much like Mario, only Peach. Larry Koopling was great fun to play. This is the first time if I recollect, that you can be any of the Kooplings. So I choose the coolest and closest son to Bowser before the advent of Baby Bowser/Bowser Jr. Yoshi was his typical charming self, but I unwisely choose a motorcycle on Cloudtop Cruise (do not choose a bike!).

My final verdict is that Mario Kart 8 is superior to Mario Kart 7, but it lacks the innovative control styles of Mario Kart Wii (unless Nintendo has made Wii U wheel). Since there will be DLC content, Nintendo can make favorites like Dry Bones and enigmas like Birdo downloadable. I imagine there will be Track Packs (nice sound to it) that will allow Nintendo to keep on giving for next few years. I would estimate there will be probably three track packs max, with a max of 12 tracks added (this is being optimistic) to 8 Tracks (more realistic and in homage to this being the number of this installment in the Mario Kart Franchise). Bearing in mind the possible improvements, I deem Mario Kart 8 the best Mario Kart to date. It was enjoyable, it has room to grow, and it is the best looking Mario game I've seen.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The more tracks you play, the more varied and enhanced the game feels- I was a little mixed at first on the tracks compared to Wii but there's a clever balance in many of them that reveals themselves over time.

You are right that there isn't much innovated with the controls- if you use a Wiimote or Wheel the controls are identical- and the motion control mode of the GamePad is just like the wheel basically. Pro Controller and standard GamePad controls are basically the same as each other.

19. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    What makes Mario Kart 8 stand out, is that it can be improved. What exists is already a blast, but there is much Nintendo can do to make it the greatest Mario Kart ever. :)

20. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I haven't played more recent Mario Karts, so I never did figure out what to do with bikes. Oh well, now is as good a time as any. 100cc isn't easy, but nowhere near as insane as 150cc is. Seems like they have toned down how often blue shells show up, though haven't been in first in 150cc long enough to tell for sure (since that's usually where the player is bombarded by blue shells). On the other hand, red shells seem to be have much better tracking, so always good to keep a shield handy.

Bumping into other karts while in hovercraft mode is fun. I think both karts get a speed boost, so the important thing is the positioning. Probably one of my favorite Mario Karts yet, though I'm probably one of the few who like the Gamepad- nice to have the item and accelerate button on different sides of the controller, my thumb gets too sore while playing 7 on the 3DS. Lakitu also puts you back on the track much faster, sot that's a very nice improvement. Annoying to have blue shells hit you even when you're not in first though (since instead of flying over the crowd, it flies through), and I have a hard time keeping track of the rest of the race compared to the DS' dual screen setup (hard to watch both the TV and Gamepad at once). Still very fun, and many of the courses look beautiful. The Sunshine Airport and Shy Guy Falls are some of my favorite so far.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I really love what they've done with the blue and red shells- by having the blue shells plow through the crowd instead of flying over them, it potentially affects more racers at the head and middle of the pack (but still not guaranteed) instead just affecting 1st place (and maybe 2nd if they get caught in the blast wave), which better achieves the function of the blue shell in giving trailing players a chance to catch up to everyone.

The red shells also seem depowered significantly- it used to be the only way to lose a red shell without a weapon was to take a tight enough turn while it was far enough out or to find a jump or ramp that would kill the shell. Here, though they can now be fired in the air and go off ramps, the homing capabilities seem greatly reduced and far easily to lose. It's made red shells much more of a close range weapon than the long range one they've traditionally been (not as close as the green shell, though).

Bikes just give you different handling stats- better acceleration and turning, etc at the cost of being more vulnerable to collisions from heavier players.

22. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Bikes too me more time to master in Mario Kart Wii. The handling is more sensitive. You can potentially drift and make turns better. But drift too much and you lose control. I used the bike once on Mario Kart 8 and the physics were pretty much the same.

23. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I am so excited to have this game out! I got a wii u from my mom as a gift for Christmas. I haven't played to much of it yet. I own a few decent games, but this a Smash is what I've been most pped about! Oh, and X, but I still haven't finished xenoblade yet.

Kato Sai likes this.
  24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Now that Mario Kart 8 is out there are less reasons to not get a Wii U. My only worry is that Nintendo is not doing well fiscally and the rumors of It's decline and fall. I do not want to get a Wii U and then Nintendo pull the plug like Sega did with Dreamcast.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo would need several generations of consoles to fail before they'd be forced to pull out if hardware development. Not only did they have a huge war chest from the GCN, Wii & DS eras (even if 3DS & Wii U price cuts have chipped into that a bit), but they're actually in better shape than Sony and Microsoft (the former is hurting from the performance of its non-gaming businesses to the point where, had the PS4 underperformed at launch like the PS3, it was a distinct possibility that it would have been the last Playstation; meanwhile MS has been steering away from a gaming focus).

There's zero chance of Nintendo going 3rd party/software only like SEGA anytime in the next couple decades, no matter how much noise internet fanboy trolls make in comment sections.

As for the Wii U itself, it's doing well enough (with enough titles on the horizon) that Nintendo won't be pulling the plug on it anytime soon (it would harm their brand too much). It's got several years left in it.