main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming There Will Be Blue Shells: Mario Kart (8 Deluxe)

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Themed quarterly or half year would probably be more suitable than individual months in terms of coordinating content to be released. Samus missed out on having her 25th anniversary officially celebrated (,same year as Zelda). Be nice for her to have more of a spotlight again but who knows when that will happen.

With the items, I've noticed that we don't get the fake item boxes anymore. Come to think of it… Mario Kart 7 didn't have them, nor did the GBA Super Circuit. Oh well, we've got the horn, boomerang and piranha plant!

Do you feel that there should be more characters or that they should have held back somewhat from announcing the unlockable characters?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Most of the characters are basically the same and just one of 4-5 weight classes. So they're effectively skins at this point- no point not adding others just so people can have a wider selection within their preferred weight class.

I'm glad they dumped the fake item boxes- they rarely ever worked. The only time they did when it was a direct drop at the person behind you- and by then you might as well use a shell or banana peel (come to think of it- banana peels are better at disguising themselves as items or terrain (like coins) than fake item boxes were).

3. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    That is more reasonable Corellian_Outrider. I would like to see a celebration of a character at least every six months.

I think they should have included more diverse characters, The Kooplings, save for aesthetics and weight are all the same . I miss Dry Bones, even though his is merely an undead Koopa Troopa (which is playable). I am surprised after so many installments that they have never made a Goomba playable in Mario Kart! Goombas are backbone of Bowser's Army!

Oneday:

[​IMG]

I think revealing the secret characters like Metal Mario and Metal Peach was folly. Sometimes you need to keep some characters hidden tell everyone has completed 50cc, 100cc, and 150cc. Reviewers like IGN seem to be privy to everything in the game, why not make even the reviewers have to work hard before they reveal all the secrets?

4. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I don't know if it is just me but some of the same weight class characters handles slightly differently on the same vehicle combination. When I did a run through as Bowser, I noticed the handling felt bit different from Donkey Kong.

I am glad too about the fake item boxes too and that's probably why they got rid of them.

EDIT: I don't know if the Goomba would be practical given that they don't have any arms for the steering wheel… Unless they went with the Super Mario Bros. movie design which I don't think they want to even go near that. I am surprised Birdo didn't make a return.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd love ROB to return- he was my main DS character and the only character I've ever main'd besides Mario.

Though I'm tempted to second a Metal Mario and Shy Guy this go around- and the Death Stare has me considering a swap to Luigi if only for highlight reels

6. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Mario practical? :D

I think they could put a helmet on the Goomba that would allow him to control his kart like they have created for Handicap people to type, talk, and etc.

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Yoshi has always been my main but slowly Rosalina has risen up to be my second.

For this one, I am going to give each character a go for the cups, you also unlock more stamps that way too.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  8. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Yoshi was once my best. However, I prefer Mario and was blown away by Metal Mario's might on the courses.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The LDS continues to rise in sheer epicness....

[​IMG]

Tumblr understands.

[​IMG]

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I want to see the rest of that movie now! :p

Sheer epicness, indeed.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This time, there are two!

[​IMG]

12. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Luigi channeling his inner Mr. L still. [face_whistling]

13. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Luigi sure seems to be getting out the latent resentment at being second fiddle to his brother. :D XD

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, ever since his final smash in Brawl, the Negative Zone, was officially explained as a "reflection of the dark side he embraced in his brother's shadow", it's kinda been leading this way. That it's invocation i salso described as a "sorcerous incantation" also puts a whole new perspective on his pursuit of the supernatural in Luigi's Mansion...

EDIT- Revenge on the Death Stare:

EDIT 2- And this is just awesome:

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So Nintendo has confirmed that MK8 has sold 2 million in less than a month (though given that it hit 1.2 million in a single weekend, that's not surprising). Other sources have confirmed that it boosted Wii U sales more than Titanfall did for XBO or inFamous SS for PS4.

Hilariously, Polygon, in reporting that the game has the highest review scores in the franchise's history and is also the fastest selling Wii U game, is still tripling down on their ridiculous speculative article from mid-May, where they claimed that it may yet still be the worst selling titles in the franchise.

Ya know, despite the fact that in that very article they are reporting that the game has already sold more copies in less than a single month than their other article predicted the game would have sold by March 2015. [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Another nice detail I'm appreciating: every character has a unique emblem for their horn on the GP. While the horn itself isn't really all that useful, I always like little touches like that (same goes for the franchise affiliation logos used Smash brothers).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So one of the recent MK8 hacks gives us some insight into how the ghost system works, as well as some nice views of Rainbow Road:

Basically, this is a ghost recorded from the N64 Rainbow Road being played back over the MK8 Rainbow Road.

EDIT- Also, McDonalds has MK8 toys. I've got my set, plus an extra Luigi for me to customize...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    MK8 Update hitting August 27th.

Besides adding in the Mercedes vehicles, there will be some minor, but very much welcome, changes:

• Drivers will now have the option to display the course map on the TV screen during races.
    • The order of the menu after each race will be changed to “Next Race”, followed by “Watch Highlight Reel."
    • The game will remember the most recent kart options that were selected, even if the Wii U system was powered down.
    • Users will be able to change options of other players’ Mario Kart TV downloaded highlight reels, such as changing the focus to different characters or actions.
    • A score screen will be added so players can see how many coins they’ve collected, the win-loss record of their online battles and their frequently used characters.
    • Improved the stability of the online connection to enhance user experience during online battles.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So I've installed the update (and preordered the DLC-yay!) and given a quick play of the Mercedes vehicles. But us it me or does the game seem to moving faster? Like they added a slight hyper mode to things?

It might just be because I was trying colored Yoshis and Shy Guys or could just be how the DLC vehicles handle as I haven't played for a couple weeks but it seemed faster to me.

Also, where is the onscreen map option? Or is that only during multiplayer?

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002

I had to play around to get the onscreen map going and you need to hit the '-' button to toggle the onscreen map on and off.

It does feel a bit more faster, still wish we had the accelerometer that the N64 game used to have. I do like the Silver Arrow. Looking forward to when the new packs are released. Notice how the colour of the… can't remember which one of the Mercs has it but it changes colour depending on the character… or colour of the Yoshi.

Another thing, I didn't realise that the shuttle going about in Rainbow Road is designed after the Blooper. Bloopers from Space…. Could make a great sci-horror film :p
    [​IMG]

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    At this point I don't feel like paying $12 for only half of something when I get the other half in May 2015.

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Watched this three times just to listen to the updated music track for this course :)
    (that appears to change?)

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That makes so much sense, it's perfect.

24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I know there are those that want to build their own tracks and Nintendo has shot down that idea in the past. I wonder if Nintendo is re-thinking that idea and maybe this course is step one in giving players the ability to build.

25. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Anyone know if there's a specific date for the November DLC?