main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

There's a banner image at the top of the PT forums. Why none for the CT forums?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RogueZero, Nov 12, 2015.

1. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    Why no nifty banner image at the of the Classic Trilogy forums as there is for the Prequel Trilogy forums? Doesn't seem right.

Cryogenic likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Possibly because no one has made one. It's up to the forum mods if they make a notice banner like in the PT forums. I'd ask one of them.

3. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    it is a good idea

Cryogenic likes this.
  4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    This site used to have great forum specific banners (Saga-In depth, Classic Trilogy, Prequels, YJCC) that have now been replaced with the more generic one. I haven't been consistently around over the last few years--so I don't know what prompted the change (I'm assuming technical changes made those banners obsolete). It would be great to see a return. Is it possible for forum mods to solicit submissions and then allow mods and/or users to vote for their favorites (maybe award the winners temporary colors as an incentive?)

Rew and Cryogenic like this.
  5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    My understanding is that the per-forum banners and skins we had on the old IGN boards (pre-summer 2012) are not technically possible on XenForo (at least not without crashing the boards). I believe it was explained that every tweak to any skin forces a complete rebuild of every skin, which can cause quite a bit of chaos. So it's not done anymore. Some forums have taken advantage of XenForo's announcement feature to add a "banner" in the announcement space, but that's placed in a different area and doesn't replace the "main" banner. Of note, though, is that there is a recently-closed contest HERE to design a new main banner for the entire boards, but it would apply across all forums for the previously-stated reasons.

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Thanks jcgoble3. I figured the change in sites explained why things were different.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, like jcgoble said - it's down to the software used for the boards.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know how to get a banner at the top of the forum but I'm not opposed to the idea. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Cryogenic likes this.
  9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    To be honest, crotchety old bore that I am, I found the PT banner distracting, at first. Then I got used to it.

I definitely think the CT -- and SAGA! -- forums need one. My forum of preference is the PT forum, but it would be nice to give them a unified look and feel.

And surely, there are many talented graphic/design artists on TFN, willing to give it a go!

Admiral Volshe and G-FETT like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn and I are discussing this and more info will be coming soon, probably after TFA gets released and the ensuing board slowdowns ease up.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention RogueZero .

11. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention
    ------------

you mean you've never noticed before this thread? :p

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I am one of the least visual people you will ever meet. I honestly had not.

Dandelo likes this.
  13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    LOL, ok fair enough :p

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

High level traffic and board slowdowns? That never happens with the JCF especially after a big Star Wars event. :p

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011