main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Theres a World in my Closet!!! Chronicles of Narnia Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by NightHunter319, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightHunter319

NightHunter319 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    Discuss The Magical World of Narnia here.

I still havn't gotten to reading the entire series yet. I'll get halfway through one of the books, then I'll get bored and by the time I want to read it again I forgot everything that I read.

I think the only 2 I've read are Prince Caspian, and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

2. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I read Book II: Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe because you just have to start with this one I don't care what CS Lewis says. I loved it. Now I'm in the middle of Book I: The Magician's Nephew. It's got some great imagery and builds everything that will become Narnia.

3. padawanlissa

padawanlissa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I love these books. I've read all of them, seen all the old BBC movies, and acted in a play of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.:)

4. Ariadne

Ariadne Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003

Narnia ranks as my number one favourite series of novels. They introduced me to the fantasy genre as a whole, and I haven't stopped since. I still have the books I was given when I was six. They're a bit battered now, but I wouldn't part with them for love nor money. I know the Christian message within can be a little hard to swallow at times, but I think they are timeless classics nontheless.

The BBC TV series is not bad, either. The Silver Chair was excellent - Tom Baker as Puddleglum! Genius! :D

And yeah, I cried at the movie.

5. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I started reading the series after seeing the movie -- I didn't want to be disappointed like I was with all the Harry Potter movies, though I have to say that the movie stuck very very close to the book and I couldn't read it without hearing Liam's voice as Aslan [face_love]

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Well, I read the entire series as a child and reread a couple of the books more recently, and I have to say I found the actual writing to be rather weak and a lot of the symbolism cliched. I think I liked the books better back when I was too young to be able to criticize such things. :p I do give Lewis props for his creativity, though. The storyline tried a lot of things that I imagine were quite novel in their time.

7. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2004
    I personally feel the same way about TMN as I do about the PT. It just doesn't cut it compared to the original material. I love Narnia, my favorite is The Horse and His Boy.

8. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I read the Magician's Nephew and the Witch, the lion, and the Wardobe. I found them to be entertaining. I'm about to start the next book.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    My personal favourite is Voyage of the Dawn Treader, though I haven't read them in ages. I liked Eustace for some reason.

I think I may pick up that 7-in-1 edition that was just published.

10. Rexus

Rexus Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2005
    Well I bought the first book recently but I haven't started reading it yet. I just think that I won't like it and I will build myself a wrong opinion for the series. You see I'm 15 now and from what I've heard this book is way past my time. But I've also heard that the books are for kids of all ages... I just don't know :oops:

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I first started reading them when my dad's best friend gave them to me when I was 8. I've read them many times since. I love the dedication of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, where it says that it is a fairy tale, but someday the girl will be too old for fairy tales and it will still be special to her. It appeals to me because there is a very powerful idea behind the thought that there is something special in every ordinary thing, that we are never too old for heroism, etc. As a Christian, I love the symbolism of so many things in the books.

12. Kahnate

Kahnate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Excellent series. So simple, yet so elegant. There's an incredible feeling of nostalgia whenever I read these books. Like I've forgotten something innocent in myself and reading about the lands of Narnia helps me to remember. I love these books. Always will. I haven't read them in ages, but will make it a priority to buy them at Barnes and Noble soon as I return home.

Kahnate

13. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    QFT . . . according to my kiddo :p

She is currently reading Magician's Nephew on her own and I am thinking I'm going to start reading it aloud to her because I want to read it!

I've read TL,TW&TW several times and it is fascinating to me. I know I've read more of the series but I need to read it all again.

Just as soon as I finish another series ... that little one the Lewis's buddy Tolkien wrote. :p

14. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The only book I was dissapointed with was The Last Battle.

I hated the ending, where everyone had died in the real world, and they didn't seem to care about not seeing their families again.

15. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    okay, so i have read Lion, witch, and the wardrobe, Casipian, and Treader...now i am on The Silver Chair.

My question is this, the book set i own, lists 1-7 as this

1. Lion, witch, wardrobe
    2. Prince Caspian
    3. Dawn Treader
    4. Silver Chair
    5. The horse and his boy
    6. the magicians Nephew
    7. The last battle

People here are saying the magicians nephew is book one, and lion is 2...
    I realize fully that the above list is not in chronological order (according to the series)...
    So my question is, how should i read them...1-7, as the books say, or in order of "time" magician first and horse and boy in between Lion and Caspian?

like i said, i am on 4 already, and i plan to finish it...Should i then read 5, 6,7 or read 6,5 7??

16. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    There are three different lists out there. The order in which Lewis wrote the novels, their publication dates, and a revised list made by CS Lewis himself that is supposed to be in chronological order.

The Correct list is

1. The Magician's Nephew
    2. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
    3. The Horse and his Boy
    4. Prince Caspian
    5. Dawn Treader
    6. Silver Chair
    7. The Last Battle

17. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
  18. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Brilliant series! :)
    My favourite books are Magician's Nephew and The Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe.
    :)

19. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I've just finished The Magician's Nephew and am already a couple chapters into A Horse and his Boy.

20. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I quite enjoyed the Magician's Nephew, and it's not a bad way to start off on reading the series.

21. AzulSaber

AzulSaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    I love these books, read most of them when I was very young, yet never finished the entire series. I'm hoping to rectify that soon, spurred on by the new movie which was excellent I thought. :)

I think Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe would have to be my absolute favorite. It's what got me started into this world. Voyage of the Dawn Treader was good too though, if I remember correctly.

Brilliant series, as Amon_Amarth so aptly said.

22. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Narnia was the series that got me into the entire fantasy genre. All these years later, it still has a very dear place in my heart.

23. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I got the books when I was nine or so, but I didn't read them until I was 12. But once I started, I was hooked. They're wonderful books and I love to reread them. My set is missing all except TMN, TSC and TLB, so for Christmas I got my brother (who's six) his own. He was very happy (still hasn't seen the movie yet, but the Happy Meal toys at McDs have influenced him) and wanted us to read it to him that very moment. And I have a suspicion that my step-father stole the books this morning to read. He's a pastor- and, amazingly- had never heard of C.S. Lewis until now.

24. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    I just finished "The Silver Chair" last night, and now i am reading "The Horse and his Boy"
    (i am reading them in release order, as it is listed on the side of the books)

Anyways,
    i thought The Silver Chair, got much much better in the last 4 chapters, and actually saved the book.
    I thought the first few chapters were okay, but nothing to really happened...I was satisfied by the end.

However, I thought Eustace and Jill wouldve been a little more helpful...I just dont get why they were brought to Narnia to find the prince, it seems liek anyone couldve done it... I did like Puddlegum by the end, at first i thought he was the inspiration for Jar Jar Binks...hehe

Anyone want to discuss the Silver Chair??

Also, i was most worried about enjoyign the Horse and His Boy, but i am enjoying it so far

25. Jacen-Vader

Jacen-Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2005
    I have just finish the first book: The Magician's Nephew. Awesome.
    After read only fiction like star wars, Dan Brown Books, an d Le Carre, I love this book, like a fairy tale but with a little of action and anything more. Really nice the book. I'll read the other 6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.