main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

There's an epic coming in the way of SW Fan Fiction--but we'd like your input!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by BaneCyaboth, May 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaneCyaboth

BaneCyaboth Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    Alright, I'm new to this board, and I'm also new to the world of Star Wars fan fiction. However, I'm not new at all to the Star Wars universe...at least not the one Mr. Lucas has created. Around the intial release of The Phantom Menace, me and a close friend of mine decided we'd like to show our love of the series, and our distaste for the EU by making up what would be our version of would-be "sequels".

The idea behind these is that we're viewing these more as sequel movies that are in book form because, well, we don't have millions of dollars nor the rights to make them =P. It's an entire trilogy, of full-length novels, that will be effectively named Episodes VII through IX. There have been books on top of books that cover everything after ROTJ for quite a period of time, as far as the main characters go, but as I've mentioned, me and my friend aren't exactly fond of the EU. In fact, to be frank, we hate it--or, most of it.

In these books, certain things will (primarily) be canon...the movies, the novelizations, Shadows of the Empire, and the Thrawn Trilogy. There will be other things from other stories we like and plan to take and plug into these as well, but those will be discussed as they come up. The Thrawn Trilogy basiclly serves as our little connection between ROTJ and Episode VII...although there's still a sizeable gap in there (which maybe will be filled in later *wink wink*). Episode VII actually takes place aprox. 20-25 years after ROTJ.

The purpose of this particular topic is really to just announce this project. We have been working on the details for quite some time, and work is well on its way into the first chapter of this new and exciting saga. You've probably noticed I haven't given any plot details at all. That's intentional =D. What we want is for you guys, the fans, to give us some ideas that you might like to see in the books. Let your imagination run wild...while we have the outline for these stories down, but nothing is set in stone as of yet. We'd like to keep a tight lid on a lot of the details of the plot, much in the way the movies are handled. We can assure you though that this story is on an absolute epic scale, and fans of the series will nto be dissappointed. I'm kind of short on time right now, but I'd really like it you guys might discuss this somewhat, and let me know what you think. I'll be back later, and hopefully will elaborate on this more...there's going to be alot involved with this assure you. Oh, and remember, I'm new to the Fan Fiction community, so be gentle ;)

2. Kathryn

Kathryn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    I'm new here, too. I'd be glad to offer any help/input I can. Is there any way I could get a more detailed outline of what you're planning?

3. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Sounds interesting to me. I'll help in anyway I can. After Tuesday that is, have to study for AP Physics exam. :mad: !

4. BaneCyaboth

May 8, 2002
    Ah, at least someone is intrested :)

I really didn't have time to elaborate much more than I did on my last post, but my partner in crime insisted I go ahead and post something so I did. Like I said, we're already working on the first book, and upon its completion we're going to submit it to the Fan Fiction section here at TheForce.net. We've got alot of the details worked out for the stories, but we're always open to new ideas and change--in fact everytime we sit down and discuss it, we come up with some new revelation it seems.

I'll give a basic roundup of what these books are going to be about without giving anyway too many details. It's going to be three books, novel-length. And these three books, are going to serve as Episodes 7 through 9 in the saga, as we'd like to see them. Of course George has stated there will be no more SW movies after the prequels, so I guess this is just our way of fullfilling a little fantasy we've got. The other main reason we're doing this is because we've both got a distaste for the Expanded Universe...most notably the New Jedi Order books. As avid Star Wars fans, we think that without Lucas at the helm, all these spinoffs have in fact spun out of control, and the original feeling of Star Wars has been lost. We'd like to restore some of that, to fans who hopefully will be intrested in what we're doing.

What these books will do is simply overwrite most of what has come out after the Original Trilogy, with a few exeptions, Shadows of the Empire, and the Thrawn Trilogy, as I mentioned in my previous post. This said, we also decided to "borrow" some of the really good ideas from some other books..but for the most part, everything you'll find is very original.

As for the plot, I'd like to keep things as tight as possible really, but still build an anticipation for this whole thing, which is probably a delicate balance. This story takes place 20-25 years after ROTJ. All of the main characters are back, of course, along with an overwhelming cast of new ones. The remnants of the Empire are all but defeated, and the newly formed New Republic, under the leadership of Cheif-of-State Leia Organa Solo, is struggling to build a solid foundation. Meanwhile on Yavin 4, Luke Skywalker, now a full-fledged Jedi Master, is fullfilling his destiny of bringing the Jedi Order back into credibility in the galaxy with his Jedi Academy. Among his graduates are the children of Leia and Han, Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin Solo. So with the Imperial threat vanquished, and an apparent period of peace blanketed over the galaxy, the heroes of the Rebellion can rest easy, and enjoy the rewards of a hard-fought victory. However, all is not as quiet as it seems, and the young Republic may soon find itself getting a wakeup call in the most extreme sense. The key, lies within the mind of a mysterious man known as Bane Cyaboth.

Now this is just the very tip of the story, and really a teaser at best. Like I said, I'd like to keep a tight wrap on most of the details...like I said, these are being set up to be the next three chapters of the Star Wars saga, so we're going to treat them this way. In what unfolds, we think you'll be pleasantly surprised how nothing is quite what it seems, and you'll watch as seemingly random events unfold into a much larger story. I can assure you, this will be Star Wars on a truly epic scale, and will fit in perfectly with the flavor of the films we all love so much...which is unfortunately more than I can say about most of the SW fiction I read :\

Now before we really get deep into this first book, what we want are ideas from the fans. What this means is any possible ideas you have for absolutely anything that you'd like to see included in the sequels proceeding ROTJ. Anything is welcome, and while we obviously won't be usuing everything people bring up, we are very, very intrested in pleasing the fans with this, as that's our main goal. So go ahead, and give us your best stuff.

I'm going to post here regularly, and keep everyone updated on how things are g

5. BaneCyaboth

May 8, 2002
    Ohhhh, and I almost forgot; if you have ANY questions, any questions what-so-ever, please, by all means, ASK AWAY!!!

6. -Calypso-

-Calypso- Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    Our main concern is to capture what we feel has been lost in the Star Wars universe, the very feel of the serial Buck Rogers type adventures that we feel makes Star Wars what it is. What makes it touch so many people. When we stated out hate for the EU, mainly the New Jedi Order, we failed to mention why. It's too dark. Simple isn't Star Wars. It's not really in the characters, just in the tone of the books.
    With Episodes 7,8, and 9 we would like to try to capture what makes Shadows and The Thrawn trilogy seem to fit more than the other books that make up the Expanded Universe. We want to push it to a darker degree, but not so much that it goes overboard. The best example that I can think of is The Empire Strikes back. What made the series reach "mythic" status was this film. For the first time a film potrayed a more "real" story. Where the good guys don't always win, and everything isn't as it seems. Empire managed to be dark without Evil new alien races and many of the things that take the EU beyond Star Wars. We WILL push Episodes 7,8, and 9 to a new darker realm, however we will do it in a appropriate fashion.
    Episode 7 takes place 20-25 years after Return of the Jedi. It deals with the Republic trying it's best to fix the damage that the Empire has left in the galaxy. However, the damage has been done, and not all of the systems are so quick to reform. Some planets and systems actually benefited from the Empire, and so the galaxy is in an Intergalatic state of turmoil. The growing tesnion between the two sides could eventually lead to all out war.
    The Jedi order, with the help of Master Skywalker have grown in numbers, however they are not the force that they once were in the galaxy. Master Skywalker senses that there is something unfolding. And his students will be ready.

Please. Ask any questions, post any ideas.
    We might give a rundown of some of the characters soon, and maybe even release an opening "crawl".

7. checkeredman

checkeredman Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2002
    As a writer and artist I'd love to be involved in such a project.

However, I absolutely HATE the Dark Empire comics that brought back the EMPEROR. What a cheap shot at a sequel. Snoozeville man. I honestly don't like 90% of the sequel ideas out there mainly because every fanboy just want to throw some cool **** together and call it a story.

"Um, lets like have these dark jedi dudes who were hiding come and get Boba Fett to help them kill Luke with a stolen Star Destroyer and a motified AT-AT. Then of course Bossk shows up..."

What!?

Pardon the sarcasm, but that is no story, and no honoring of the SW universe.

If your conceptual ideas are way left of my sarcastic paraphrasing -- I'd love to help.

8. checkeredman

May 10, 2002
    If your EPISODE 7 is a sequel and it isn't under the constraints of the aging of the actual original actors -- why not make this story take place closer to the Battle at Endor. The Empire could still be dangerous. Taking a 10+ year break just ages our heroes and takes away some of their vim. Also, its also more likely that a well-organized rebellion/alliance would dissipate a broken Empire with each passing month. IN 10+ years, what would be left? Many Imperials could very well surrender to the rebels...

9. checkeredman

May 10, 2002
    OKay, third time is the charm.

Why limit yourself creativly with what Zahn has written. Just because thei'ye official published novels doesn't mean you have to bend to their whim.

Though the THRAWN trilogy was by far some of the better EU stuff produced -- its still just that, EU.

Creativity should know only the boundaries you yourself place upon it.

Did you ever wonder what happen immediatly after the Endor celebration? Don't you think the remaining Star Destroyer Admirals would be a little worried/pissed and either go hide or come looking for trouble?

10. Kathryn

Kathryn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    I think it would be good to have sizable roles for the Solos - Jaina, Jacen, Anakin. They wouldn't have to be uber-kids, or anything, but they are interesting, or they can be, and it really does add to the feeling of SW as a generational saga.

11. -Calypso-

May 11, 2002
    Thank you all for your replies.
    Yes the Solo children are going to be central characters. And along with that, on the subject of the timeline, the point of Episode 7 is much like Episode I. It's to shift the character points. Han and the other SW fav will not be forgotten or left out. But the story focuses on a new era in the series. So it will begin to show the transition from the older characters to the new heroes that will make up these chapters.
    The emperor will not be brought back to life. The Empire will be included in a way that is slightly less flashy from the EU ways, but you will find it more realistic. It lies in the character Bane Cyaboth. Trust me, you will like it. It's very believeable.
    In fact many SW favs will have be in the new chapters, or will have a very significant tie with one of the newer ones. Like my friend said. This is going to be on an epic scale.

12. -Calypso-

May 11, 2002
    By the way. We have heard the cry of fans desperate to see R2 and 3PO as central characters. Both will be included, and will go on some of their most dangerous adventures. They even have a new droid campanion. ;P

13. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    A little pet peeve of mine regarding the EU, also a suggestion:

Okay, so Zahn had the Noghri-but what about the REAL Imperial Guards? I'd like to see more of them.

-Tim

14. -Calypso-

May 11, 2002
    I can't wait till James sees these posts. We seem to have alot of good things covered.

You WILL see more Imperial Guards...

15. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Will Anakin Skywalker make any ghostly appearances a la Obi-Wan?

Will Luke find out more about his past?

Will Han/Leia be handled better in your EU than in the "real thing?"

Will Leia actually spend some time with Luke to undergo proper Jedi training?

-Tim

16. BaneCyaboth

May 8, 2002
    Hey thanks for some good questions Darth_Tim. To begin with, I'm absolutely elated that you happened to ask about the appearance of the Imperial Guards. One of the newly introduced characters in our saga is a bounty hunter by the name of Zen Borr'usk. Borr'usk is actually a former Imperial Sovereign Protector, which, if you've brushed up on your SW knowledge, were the most elite members of the Imperial Guard. After the intitial collapse of the Empire, Borr'usk took his skills into the bounty hunting profession, where he has faired quite well, but has also earned himself a notorious reputation for not always playing by the rules. He also has a hated rival in the mysterious bounty hunter Calypso. All this will play out throughout our saga, where Zen will end up playing a more important role than he ever did as an Imperial Guard...

As for your other questions, we all saw Anakin turn from the darkside, and become one with the force in ROTJ, so his making some influencial appearances is certainly not out of the question ;). Luke finding out more about his past is something I've thought about in great detail as of yet, and is really bound by some restrictions we have on info with Episode III not coming out for another 3 years. While something like that is not out of the question, Luke's role in our series deals much with him looking towards the future. I'll also go ahead and add here that I mentioned us borrowing some ideas from other books, and one of those is that Luke has married Mara in our trilogy. I think Han and Leia will be handled very nicely in our books, ecspecially Han. Alot of people didn't like the transition of his character in ROTJ as opposed to the other films, but I can assure you, you'll reconize the stubborn Corellian smuggler immidiatley in this series. And finally, while Leia is indeed strong in the force, we've decided that she has chosen to follow a more political route (she IS the cheif-of-state in the newly-formed Republic) and not pursue the life of a Jedi, as her brother has. She does support Luke's cause whole-heartedly, and in fact, all three of her children have chosen the path of a Jedi. Leia just instead decided to use her gifts as a leader to help guide the young Republic she fought so hard to form.

Keep 'em coming!

17. checkeredman

May 10, 2002
    I'm really sorry about this, but nevermind -- I'll pass.

I really don't want to make enemies, but for someone who seems to hate the EU so much there seems to be a lot of EU content in this "sequel". I read you first few posts and was pretty excited at working on this project but now I'll pass.

18. -Calypso-

May 11, 2002
    Well remember, we have made the Thrawn Trilogy considered "cannon" to our story. So Leia's children and some other elements are still there. We have to include some of these things or fans will consider it too different. Our main problems with the EU was the many ressurections of the Emperor, how the Empire is brought into the story, the dark over tones, the killing of Anakin Skywalker, and some other horrible moments.
    However if your problem with the post was about Zen-the Imperial Guard, then don't be too upset. His part is fairly large. But we wont center on him. There is a bigger story to tell. Expect him to be behind the scenes.
    If your still lost though, sorry to hear it. If you want to explain your reasons a little better it would be appreaciated. But don't worry. You haven't gained any enemies. That's the point, we want to create a more enjoyable EU that will co-exsist with the films as Episodes 7-9.

19. BaneCyaboth

May 8, 2002
    Well you say there seems to be alot of EU content in this, but like Matt said, Zahn's Thrawn trilogy set's this one up. And to be honest, most of the post-OT EU didn't start off all bad you know. It started off very good actually, but went stright to hell in a hurry once some other authors got their grubby hands on Star Wars. Like I said, we are borrowing some elements from a few other sources other than the movies, but it's only the good stuff, and I think we will be doing it more justice, ecspecialy the Solo children. With the time period ours take's place in, you can't deny some of this anyway...Han and Leia are married, it's been some 20 years since ROTJ, so its obvious they're going to have children. And while I don't think they've been handled very well in the long run, Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin were all wonderful ideas; we're just taking that to the next level.

It might be the big gap between episodes 6 and 7 that bother you too. Matt said it perfect earlier when he was talking about our goal of advancing the characters, and the universe. Think of the transition of characters, and the overall atmosphere from what will be the prequel trilogy to the classic trilogy. These movies aren't back to back, and in fact there are some large gaps between them. If all the movies had taken place back to back from episode I on, it would have been very hard to advance the grand story Lucas had, of the birth of an Empire. In fact, there is a huge gap between the last prequel episode, III, and the first of the OT, IV. We mentioned we are trying to retain the feel of the movies, and this is just another part of it. Lucas mentions harmony; repeating themes in these movies. With this decision, we're keeping with that idea too. In fact, alot of our stroy decisions are designed around that theory. Lucas states this all the time, but you never see any evidence of any kind of story harmonics in the EU what-so-ever. In fact, another one of my complaints about the EU is the fact they these books are pretty much back-to-back. The result? There are books upon books in the SW section of your local bookstore that cover a massive timeline after the conclusion of ROTJ, yet we are stuck on the same characters. There's no Mace Windu, there's no Qui-Gon, and there's no Padme in the OT...but you know if the prequel trilogy had been the only one made, and these characters weren't taken care of by george, we'd be reading books about them and their grand adventures 40 years after Episode III right now. SW is about change; it's also a generational saga. We're striving to preserve that the best we can.

And don't worry, you haven't made any enemies. This is why we made this thread to begin with..we want your guys' opinions. Critisism included.

20. checkeredman

May 10, 2002
    Thanks for your understanding, and good luck.

21. BaneCyaboth

May 8, 2002
    Anyone else?

22. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    If I can give one vital piece of advice it would be to be it as your own storyteller in the interpetation. Granted, you're stuck with the characterizations EU has left us with, lousy all of them, but you can improve on the work product. This is essential when you not only write but also with the introduction of new/key players.

Also just because its Star Wars it doesn't have to be Lucased. Again, it goes back how you want to tell the story, not necessarily how you generally write it to make it reflect something that is deemed acceptable. Sometimes the best fiction here is not acceptable to many, but then again that's how SW is viewed anyways; you love it, or you don't. So don't be afraid to tell the SW story YOUR way. This is YOUR baby.

Thirdly if you enslave yourself to the demands of the fans, you will write a crappy story. They are the fans, granted, but they are not the storyteller: You Are. Always remember that. Yes, as authors we do want fans reading our stuff, but if it seems as if you are pandering too much you will turn away some of the readers. Remember: you can't please them all the time. Which leads to.......

Predictability: avoid it. WAY too much lately I see happy endings here on the boards. Far too much. If you're going to have a happy ending then do something so far out towards the end the happy ending will have meeting.

On the flip side, if it's a sad ending, do the same thing.

IMPORTANT: Leave them guessing. Let them hang from a cliff (especially if you are going for the Buck Rodgers angle) and most importantly if you do that DON'T GIVE THE NEXT PART AWAY!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen too many stories with a post that says "Oh I hope he's all right." after a Cliffy, and the author, without posting the next section, says "Yeah, he's fine. I just got to write it up." Gee, there goes the fun.

Didn't I mention not to Lucas it? Oh yeah.

If you want to stay true to the Original Trilogy, then do so with enough glue to it. Don't and you may end up with a illogical mess.

Currently I am in the middle of my second epic so I can speak from experience. I hope, with time constraints and being a reader, I can catch these stories when you begin to post them. If not, I will make it a point to provide a link from my thread to bring interest to my readers and Loyal Lurkers.

23. BaneCyaboth

May 8, 2002
    Knightshade, we really appriciate the input. This IS our first time undertaking a project like this, so any advice who's been down this road is always helpful. We'll be sure and take all your points to heart. We do want to please fans of the movies, which is one reason we asked for input or suggestions as to what they might like to see or enjoy. On the same token, your're exactly right about this being our story. While it's important to us too see exactly what fans would want out of a sequel trilogy, we've of course got alot of things set in stone, and wouldn't change them no matter of any fan opinion. We're doing this to please ourselves just as much as we are to please the fans. Oh, and cliffhangers? Well there's going to be cliffhangers, as well as countless other suprises thrown in at every corner.

Again, we appriciate the helpful advice, and will be sure to check out some of your stuff.

24. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    We tried something like this with Virtual Sequels, but it's kind of in limbo at the moment.

Good luck! You're gonna need it :)

25. BaneCyaboth

May 8, 2002
    Alright everyone, I'm glad we have some people keeping tabs on this so far. Now for the next week or two, I'm going to post as often as I can, but I'm going to be out alot seeing AOTC. (3 times and counting...preapring to leave for a fourth at this very moment) What I'm going to try to start posting now are some new character profiles, introduce some more plot points, as well as post some story excerpts. Also, I hope to move all this to a new thread. As for now, please, keep continuing to post and concerns or ask any questions and as always, we'll be more than happy to address them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.