main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

There's another great cartoon waiting to be made

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by sluggo, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTPodcast

GTPodcast Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2011
    Yup, that other thread did indeed go nowhere fast. I musta not made my calculations before I jumped to lightspeed.

So yeah... maybe a KOTOR series, a Young Han Solo series, or... what else?

Actually, you know what I think would be fascinating? A story set at the very beginning of the Jedi order - following how the Jedi were formed, how the Sith split off from them, and so on. Back even before the lightsaber was invented. How did all this start? How were the traditions formed? Yes, I know that EU has probably done this someplace, but I'd love to see it animated.

Or how about this for out there - a Young Yoda Chronicles series? Start with Yoda as a padawan 900 years ago. Show episodes from his long life with the Jedi, slowly becoming wise and masterful. That could be really interesting.

What do you think of them apples?

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Cool ideas but i won't expect to see any of those

3. GTPodcast

GTPodcast Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2011
    Howard The Duck: The Animated Series?

4. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    We need to see that in some form or another. C'mon, even a phony trailer. An April Fool's joke. An easter egg on the official site. A pic in the next artbook. Something, throw us a bone. [face_laugh]

I wouldn't mind something in the KotOR series, really. There's a lot of potential in that timeline, along with various things that haven't happened yet, so we might have more toys to play with.

Or, we could just keep the toys in their boxes in mint condition. :p

5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    GTPodcast- I agree with you, the prequels were a bomb, with the exception of ROTS. TPM made money, but lost out in popularity and awards to the Matrix. Someone said that star wars does not get awards, well, stories ain't about awards, but the OT movies were good, loved, and cherished, and heck both Star Wars and now The Empire Strikes Back are perserved forever at that place. Empire was the second least money maker (unadjusted international cume, lowest domestic cume $292 million), and the all won awards. The prequels....None, in fact, it was one reason why a portion of fans got away from it entirely and bash it in other sites, like DC comics, Marvel site, and what not. But one thing I can and will say is this, awards may not mean much, but back then star wars was getting them. Now, if your into video games then they might get them.The clone wars micro-series won 3 Emmy's and an Annie. And that was with just 5 minutes of animation, and then 12 minutes the last 5 chapters. I really felt that GT got screwed, but he showed them that he can come out with a quality product with a short amount of time to work with.

Is this show mediocre? Well, I'm going to put it like a buddy of mine who works at Tates Comics said to me on Wednesday, as we had a discussion of how well Avenger: Earth Mightest Heroe had done for Disney XD. It raised there ratings and had to rush to get more episodes made. Now there talking about a season 3. The Clone Wars Animated series has some good parts and some bad ones. It's not a series of sorts, its just moments in what is a big war. Thats what he said.

I think of this a bit different, I do beleive its a series. A series that pissed off the EU fan base becuase from one to the next, some of the stories cannot really be ret-conned due to Ashoka, hair and uniform style of Anakin (Republic Commics) compared to the show, the level of action, and the tie-in and foreshadowing that happens between the show and ROTS. None of the old clone war stuff did that, then again GL wasn't really that involved. Does the show maybe exxagerate, enhance, maybe change the make up somewhat to ROTS? Yep. This series, is following a track where most questions will be answered as to the state of the republic, and its fall, the fall of the jedi and why, the fall of anakin, the rise of vader,the politics that sunk the republic and the whole sepratisit movement. Were they evil? Maybe from our point of view, but they might be akin like the civil war of America. Were the South thoguth they were doing good.

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Thats were the problem lie with the show. Despite the fact that GL is putting eveything in their from unsed concepts, to homages, to story lines that he couldn't do in the movies, to the answering of most questions of the clone wars has driven another portion of the fan base away/complaining and what not. The show has been very popular and has helped sell toys like a mother, but ...at the expense of others.

Dark Horse has felt the pinch of the clone wars. Their comics have gone down ever since the clone war series debuted, and the reason being goes back to what Randy said a long time ago. He stated that when the movies were coming out, they actually saw a dip in sales becuase people were buying other things from star wars since there was so much one can pick and choose. Once the last movie came and went, comics came back up until 2008. The year that both The Force Unleashed muti-media event came out and the Clone Wars...the rest is history.

Even the novels have been shakey with some good and other not so good....just look at the last one Red Harvest. What a doozy that was. Knight Errant was okay, but not great like the Darth Bane Novel's. The Crosscurrent novel was much better than what I had expected and so on and on.

7. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Rogue Squadron would make a great series!.
    I'd like to see a Dark Times series too,very much in the vein of TCW.It could be about Darth Vader and The Empire Hunting down the last of the Jedi.We would also have a 20 year gap to tell tons of stories like the construction of The Death Star and The Death Star 2,plus new characters can be introduced and we can follow them.
    And a series set between EP1-EP2 could be cool.This way we can get into the back stories of all the Jedi from TCW and the more Plo-Koon,Ki-Adi Mundi and Kit Fisto the better.

8. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    As soon as I saw the thread title I thought "Rogue Squadron".

That would be amazing.

9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Got to admit, I agree with the original sentiment of this thread. I was skeptical about TCW, but once I got past the pretty lacklustre 'feature' & started watching the series, I've been thoroughly enjoying it. I'm halfway through Season 2 & it just seems to get better.

The possibilities are obviously endless with SW carrying on through quality animation, whereas the live action series has me a little bit nervous. A couple of poor casting choices could easily sink it, & the press are going to be ready with blades sharpened.

TBH, things look to be on hold with it anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they're already considering doing whatever stories have been thought out in animation anyway.

10. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    An animation series would be ideal for the Live Action Series scripts. As I and others have said the Live Action Series really has the potential to sink depending on the performances of the actors. In an animated series you have much more control getting the ideal performance. I also think animation has a lot more room for stylisation with less focus on photo-realism. This ensures that what?s on screen isn?t necessarily ?how it actually looks? opposed to Live-Action which makes what?s seen definitive... if that makes sense... so if something doesn?t turn out fantastic it can be contributed to it simply being the style and that ?if it was realistic it would look better? (kind of difficult to explain).

Perhaps if they retained the same animation style we would have a case of it being the way Star Wars looks from an animation standpoint. I think if they changed the animation style it would unnecessarily un-uniform the animated series?.

11. GallifreyanSith

GallifreyanSith Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 26, 2010
    Toss my name in with the folks that want a Civil War Era Rogue Squadron series; especially if it's down with the same skill and style they've brought to Clone Wars.

KOTOR Or Old Republic era could be fun. But I think they'd be better off doing Directr To DVD/Blu-ray movies first to see if there was any real interest. It isn't like Clone Wars where its filling in the background of known, popular characters between movies.

I can't recally how long of a span the books cover, but the "Heir To The Empire" books could probably make a interested post ROTJ series.

I'm concerned about the live-action series. To make it on a television budget and get it on the air and keep it on the air, unless they put on something like Showtime or HBO, I think (and I might be wrong) they're going to have to cut corners and water things down a bit. Unless they am it at an older audience and then that's bound to chop into their numbers.

I'm like you, I'd rather them take those scripts and make another animated series.

12. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I hope We can get a post-return of the jedi Series and hope it ties in with what the Eu has and not be stupid.

If we do get a post-return of the jedi Series it might be based of the Dark Empire Series Lucas did say that happened. But I doubt it will happen.

13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I've been pulling for a Rogue Squadron show for ages.

14. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    An OT animated series would be wonderful. And I've avoided the EU set at that time, so any contradictions won't bother me. In fact, I'm hoping the show just wipes out all pre-existing continuity in that era. :p

15. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Lucas should just make the sequel trilogy a cartoon. That way, he could, as some have said, use the original actors to voice the characters. Age shouldn't matter.

And people would go see it. At worst, the films would get decent numbers.

16. LONEWOLF09

LONEWOLF09 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    George Lucas should not do a sequel trilogy. He has already screwed with the Clone Wars and he doesn't need to screw with anything after ROTJ. They are already up to 138 ABY so it is a little late to think of doing something like that. Now if he wanted to use the Thrawn Trilogy as the sequel trilogy, that would be okay as long is it is like the TOR and DC Universe Online trailers and not the look of the TCW show.

17. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Lucas should do whatever he wants, it is his story. If he wants to do a post ROTJ show, then he can and should do.

18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I too think that a series set between ANH and TESB would be an excellent idea. Just like the Clone Wars, it would take place over a three year period. Yep, that is something I would love to see.

19. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Dax? You mean from DS9? Or do you mean Dack?

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    actually his name is "Dak" but it's misspelled in many official sources as well- so who knows- most books now him as Dack but for me he has been Dak all this time.....LOL how confusing

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't know what makes you think that. Clone Wars has fair bit of humour in it, from clumsy battledroids to Anakin and Ahsoka teasing each other to Obi-wan's droll wit.

I do like the idea of a Rogue Squadron animated series though...

The other idea that had occured to me is a Clone Wars-style animated Indiana Jones series.

22. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    What I mean is, look at Janson's few lines in ESB. Tell me where you see the wonderful EU Janson in any of them.

Then come back and tell me why I should expect the Lucas-involved animated Janson to be anything like the Janson I've come to know and love, and not taken completely off on some other irreconcilable tangent because Lucas had some other idea about a guy who had two lines in the film. Tell me why I shouldn't feel that things would end up being canon-bombed out of existence if we let Lucas near the ANH-ESB time period.

In other words, Even Piell's involvement in Jedi Twilight says "Hi".

23. SaeseeJim

SaeseeJim Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2003
    They should make a series of Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order

24. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I wouldn't mind seeing Lucas take on it, but the forum would be down for days if he went through with it.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.